1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

MY new Tundra TRD PRO looks CROOKED driving down the road!!!

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Tundras (2014-2021)' started by WrongwayUp, May 21, 2019.

1. May 21, 2019 at 11:51 AM
    plumber802

plumber802 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Vermont
    Vehicle:
    2018 White Platinum CM
    I don't really have a pertinent comment other than to say that Voodoo Blue is a great color. Nice looking truck OP.

WrongwayUp[OP] and jewsNbrews like this.
  2. May 21, 2019 at 12:14 PM
    TXRailRoadBandit73

TXRailRoadBandit73 YOTAS,RAILROADIN',RÖKnRÖLLN',BEER,MAX/GEMMA

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    The 956, TEXAS
    None yet
    KIMG0371.jpg
    So I happened to be driving behind this guy for half a mile, and his right side passenger side does stick out just a tad

3. May 21, 2019 at 12:15 PM
    ifishinxs

ifishinxs New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Cedar city, Utah
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra limited
    None! I tow a boat weekly
    The only way the truck can dog track is if the rear axle is not straight. Easy way to find out is to run a tape measure from the center of the Frt hub to the center of the rear hub on both sides. In this case it appears that the rear axle would be for a better word pointed toward the right. If this is the case the left side measurement will be shorter than the right side. GMC and Ford have both had this problem so it’s not new. A good alignment shop will be able to sort this out.

Last edited: May 21, 2019
    Inquiringone, equin and 15whtrd like this.
  4. May 21, 2019 at 12:18 PM
    VTYOTA

VTYOTA I DECLARE BANKRUPTCY!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Howard
    'Merica
    Vehicle:
    2014 SS CM TRD
    People are trying to give you some reasons why it may appear "crooked".

But you're going to see what you want to see and believe what you want to believe. Next time get some sort of mount for your fancy new Osmo. That way you can focus on driving and not filming. It will also improve your cinematography.

Message brought to you by:
    obtuse-angle.jpg

5. May 21, 2019 at 12:29 PM
    15whtrd

15whtrd Mr. Blonde

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    White 2015 Tundra DC SR5 TRD 4x4 5.7L, White 2003 Sequoia 2WD
    TRD Pro suspension, +2 Coachbuilder shackles, 2015 TRD Pro headlights, 20% ceramic tinted windows, clear ceramic tinted front windshield, aFe drop in pro s dry air filter, TRD airflow accelerator, TRD oil fill cap, TRD 18 psi radiator cap, BDX Bullydog tuner, Weathertech floor mats front and rear, rear seat fold down mod, DNA hard trifold tonneau cover, Linex with uv protection, TRD rear swaybar, TRD center caps, TRD Pro grille insert with color matching surround and bulge, TRD PRO headlights, aluminum oil filter canister, Real truck tailgate seal, Pop-n-lock tailgate lock actuator, rear diff breather relocate, RCI front skid plate. 275/70 R18 BFG KO2s
    Every Tundra has the right rear tire sticking out further than the left. It’s stupid but that’s the way it is, and the engineers designed it that way for some reason. Add to that the track width in the front is wider than the rear. If you’ve ever driven behind a long travel truck with the stock width rear end, they always look like they are Dog tracking down the road. Also from the factory my bed was slightly offset from the cab. I remedied that by loosening the bed-bolts and adjusting things myself. If you add in all the factors of front and rear track width as well as the rear axle being offset, along with the possibility of the bed being off-center it could look crooked.

As someone mentioned, measure from the front center hub to the rear center hub on both sides and this could at least tell you if your axle is parallel with the front. I seriously doubt your frame is bent.

6. May 21, 2019 at 12:43 PM
    Y0TA PR0

Y0TA PR0 Dirt biking & fishing

Member:
    First Name:
    Rafael
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD PRO
    Smoke some more dope :rasta:

7. May 21, 2019 at 12:59 PM
    15whtrd

15whtrd Mr. Blonde

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    TRD Pro suspension, +2 Coachbuilder shackles, 2015 TRD Pro headlights, 20% ceramic tinted windows, clear ceramic tinted front windshield, aFe drop in pro s dry air filter, TRD airflow accelerator, TRD oil fill cap, TRD 18 psi radiator cap, BDX Bullydog tuner, Weathertech floor mats front and rear, rear seat fold down mod, DNA hard trifold tonneau cover, Linex with uv protection, TRD rear swaybar, TRD center caps, TRD Pro grille insert with color matching surround and bulge, TRD PRO headlights, aluminum oil filter canister, Real truck tailgate seal, Pop-n-lock tailgate lock actuator, rear diff breather relocate, RCI front skid plate. 275/70 R18 BFG KO2s
    OK I watched most of the video. It just looks like that because of the rear end being slightly offset to the right. That’s it. You’re Trippin LOL Every year 2nd gen (2.5)does this. The truck is not driving crooked it’s just a stupid offset rear end giving the “illusion“ that it’s not straight. You could put a 1 inch spacer on the left rear hub. I’ve read of the few people doing that. I think I’d pass

8. May 21, 2019 at 2:18 PM
    WrongwayUp

WrongwayUp [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrei
    working on them.

I don't understand..... what do you mean about biased on the passengers side? All 4 tires are strait and aligned to each other , so there is no problem there. obtuse....lol .... i learns that word form the movie Shawshank Redemption. it sounds bad but its not.

9. May 21, 2019 at 2:23 PM
    15whtrd

15whtrd Mr. Blonde

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    Yes the front and rear wheels are straight but the rear end is offset to the right side. That’s what he means by bias.

Inquiringone and Marty McFly like this.
  10. May 21, 2019 at 2:45 PM
    mojojo

mojojo New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Cement SR5 CM
    Obtuse - annoyingly insensitive or slow to understand.

Sounds... Iffy to me. ;)

Measure the tire sidewall to bed, perpendicular from the ground on each side. You will find the distance on the passenger's side to be less, creating the illusion that has confused you. This is a characteristic of the Tundra.

Alternatively, you could determine what components are misaligned, or bent, and report back... You pick.

11. May 21, 2019 at 2:54 PM
    WrongwayUp

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrei
    working on them.

really? i did a search on this before i made the video and found nothing. I really do not want to mess with any of this and just leave it. i do believe the tires are set to each other or so the paper work says.....on that I looked at all the paperwork i got from the alignment , is offset the same as thrust angle?

12. May 21, 2019 at 2:57 PM
    15whtrd

15whtrd Mr. Blonde

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    I don’t know a lot about the terminology in alignments. But here is a thread talking about the offset rear end
    https://www.tundras.com/threads/pas...cks-out-much-further-than-drivers-side.33282/

equin and WrongwayUp[QUOTED][OP] like this.
  13. May 21, 2019 at 3:12 PM
    WrongwayUp

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrei
    working on them.

lol....... your right... that is the most intelligent comment on the subject ....its 3/4 of an inch wider on the drivers side... ?? and all other measurements on the truck are within 1/32..so its basically 0.......... misaligned or bent? sounds like work.

14. May 21, 2019 at 3:20 PM
    15whtrd

15whtrd Mr. Blonde

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    He’s not talking about height. He’s talking about the distance the tire sticks inset of the bed. Relative from side to side. The same thing I’ve been telling you about tire poke. The right side sticks out further which means the left side is going to be sucked in.

15. May 21, 2019 at 3:29 PM
    WrongwayUp

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrei
    working on them.
    15whtrd[QUOTED] likes this.
  16. May 21, 2019 at 3:31 PM
    Tundramoney

Tundramoney Old school

Member:
    Earth
    They sit that way on purpose so when truck is loaded with the spinning of the driveshaft the axle shifts left !

17. May 21, 2019 at 5:29 PM
    Greg Marmalard

Greg Marmalard New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra TRD Off Road Double Cab
    I don't think you can tell by lookin'...

How does it track? You said aligned and that should be the end of it but if axles same width (are they?) shouldn't they follow the same track.. Could they be aligned and not tracking....???

I'm not gonna look at mine....

Greg

WrongwayUp[OP] likes this.
  18. Mar 12, 2023 at 9:34 AM
    77fj40

77fj40 New Member

Member:
    I know this is an old thread but does anyone have a difference in how far your front tires stick out. My truck was in a crash and when i got it back the projection was 1/2" bigger on the passengers side. My rear tires are the same though... I just dont know if the truck is still screwed up or if they can be like that from the factory. I never looked before so i have no basis for comparison.

Products Discussed in

To Top