1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

My day sitting at a car dealer

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Shamrock92, May 7, 2021.

1. May 10, 2021 at 10:52 AM
    Hbjeff

Hbjeff New Member

Member:
    Huntington Beach
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC 5.7 2wd
    Trd sways, bullydog, magnaflow, sumo springs
    the idea of monthly payments as opposed to owning things has unfortunately been intentionally normalized in our society.

2. May 10, 2021 at 11:08 AM
    Randy Morton

Randy Morton Life takes its toll, please have exact change.

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    Deepinahearta, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tundra Double Cab, Beta Variant (I call it my Land Yacht)
    You convince some poor schmuck that the $12k car is really worth the $49k asking price.

Black Wolf likes this.
  3. May 10, 2021 at 11:09 AM
    Cpl_Punishment

Cpl_Punishment Young men never die.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rosy
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM SR5 CM 4X4
    Boost Auto mirrors, RSB, Leer Legend canopy, Line-X bed liner
    But if it's 0%, I still don't understand how they can loan you more than $12k. My first new car was $30k. 60 months at 0% interest = $500/month.

15whtrd and Black Wolf like this.
  4. May 10, 2021 at 11:15 AM
    RLHULK

RLHULK Too many gamma rays in all that BBQ smoke.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Oklahoma, Toyota seat trim durability tester
    Vehicle:
    2022 Silverado LT.
    Still rolling stock baby....
    the price is increased to reflect the $49k

ya it’s 0% sign here

they don’t read the total amount they are paying over the term of the loan

jhardy1979 likes this.
  5. May 10, 2021 at 11:28 AM
    Bprose

Bprose Old member

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    17 Tundra CM TRD
    Skipped through a lot of this thread but my son got a used car loan on a Hyundai a couple years ago at 0.78%. 23 yrold naval academy graduate. I have an outstanding credit rating and best I can do is 1.9. Usaa took great care of my kid. He sold the car for what he paid for it right before going to Japan.

6. May 10, 2021 at 12:18 PM
    bwh

bwh New Member

Member:

Yup - Any everything is virtual. Paychecks, bills, credit cards (touchless payments) - without physical transactions it's trained us away from thinking about how much do i have in my wallet (or bank account) and into just paying for any/everything and sorting it out later. Thinking of the consequences just doesn't exist anymore.

ZappBrannigan and Hbjeff[QUOTED] like this.
  7. May 10, 2021 at 1:32 PM
    ScenicRoute

ScenicRoute New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tundra CM Nightshade
    Eibach stage 2, SmartCap, Ride Rite, Bora spacers, 35” rugged ridge tires.
    Why? If someone is dumb enough to agree to it I’d be willing to finance them! There has to be some level of personal responsibility here.

T-Rex266 likes this.
  8. May 10, 2021 at 1:54 PM
    Hbjeff

Hbjeff New Member

Member:
    Huntington Beach
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC 5.7 2wd
    for the same reason there should be enhancements on crimes against the elderly. Human compassion is more important than corporate profits

9. May 10, 2021 at 2:10 PM
    Shamrock92

Shamrock92 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Find the buyer with no documented income, a credit score that starts with a 4 and a couple of prior repossessions on their bureau.

Then tell them you will give them something with either a V8 or 4x4 (or both) with only their $1600 stimulus/tax refund down.

Ideally you do this while either putting your lot within walking distance of the local public housing development or very near the bus line - as your customers are very unlikely to have a ride in or a trade (otherwise they wouldn’t be dealing with you).

ZappBrannigan likes this.
  10. May 10, 2021 at 2:18 PM
    Black Wolf

Black Wolf Bigfoot Hunter, Sasquatch too, but not Yeti

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    2022 Nissan Frontier SV 4X4
    TuwaPro rack, Z1 Offroad stuff, NISMO suspension stuff, FlowmasterFX Extreme exhaust, AIS, OVS, J&L can, other goodies on the way
    Yeah, but not at 0% interest.

11. May 10, 2021 at 2:23 PM
    Shamrock92

Member:
    Some - try 98% - and 1.9% of the minority are just too focused on the cost to realize what a good price is at time it seems.

Just like the buyers who find the deal of a lifetime and INSIST on negotiating you down. You could literally post “free car” put the keys and title on the seat and these people would come into the office asking for gas money as the tanks only half full !! (Granted if it’s a Tundra and gas is back to $5 - that’s a reasonable request to some).

Part of its on the dealer - they know how to 4 square you into submission and focus on payments not price - after all a thousand dollars is ALOT of money to most - but $13 - that’s nothing….it’s Starbucks every other week….then you realize $13 a month for 75 months IS a grand.

Smart shoppers can do math in their head and understand what their target term/price equates to in monthly. It’s not super hard - and understand dealers aren’t just focused on you - they want to sell the vehicle as quickly as possible for as much as possible. At the same time the salesperson wants to sell YOU…after all the next buyer might be the guy in the next cubes customer and you only get paid for your sales - not the stores.

My mom was the worst at buying cars - she saw what she liked and would say “I’ll take that one” - “oh, protection plan - that does sound good - sure gimme the platinum plus”. My dad was the opposite - felt spending more than a dollar over invoice was for suckers and that the best deals were always buying a a “demo” - even if it meant buying a 45k car with 15k in options he didn’t want - if he got it for 31k - it was a deal vs spending 30k on the exact model/color he wanted brand new to start.

12. May 10, 2021 at 2:25 PM
    Gamer68

Gamer68 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Vehicle:
    2016 Toyota Tundra limited
    2.5 front lift//Hooke Road Front Bumper w/lightbar//20" Black spoke Fuel Wheels//Weather Tech Floor mats//Black Waterproof seat covers//Hard tri-fold tonneau cover//
    Man, spending all day at a car dealership is such a waste. Honestly, 5 minutes at a dealership and I want to claw my eyes out. I bought my Tundra from Vroom and it was fantastic. Pricing could not be beat either.

Shamrock92[OP] likes this.
  13. May 10, 2021 at 2:28 PM
    Haslefre

Haslefre New Member

Member:
    TN
    This is why USAA is being sued though. They offer better rates to officers than it does anyone else, despite them never actually having a job.

But who am I besides a plebe enlisted folk...

14. May 10, 2021 at 2:30 PM
    Haslefre

Haslefre New Member

Member:
    TN
    Typically I agree on MOST things. But consumer protections are a good thing. Otherwise you would see nothing but predatory loans being thrown out daily.

15. May 10, 2021 at 2:32 PM
    Shamrock92

Member:
    Let’s admit it - cars in general are a “sucker deal” - anyone can find reliable transportation to meet their needs for under 20k easily - yet the average ticket on a car is well over 30k these days. And 20k assumes you need a truck - cars are cheaper.

You buy because of what you want - knowing it will not go up in value in the next 20 years likely and will cost you money the lifetime you hold it. But we buy them - because it makes us happy/feel better and we like to “show off”.

I’m like this and admit it - the key is balance.

Culturally, some groups are even worse for j my experience. I guess you come from a country where “luxury” cars are scarce - and the few you see are owned by the elite - it’s a big deal owning a BMW 3 series, Audi A4 or other entry level lux. Personally - I wish people would realize their buying a rebadged sedan with a lux plate and cheap leather/wood grained plastics.

4WDWalrus likes this.
  16. May 10, 2021 at 2:38 PM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    TuwaPro rack, Z1 Offroad stuff, NISMO suspension stuff, FlowmasterFX Extreme exhaust, AIS, OVS, J&L can, other goodies on the way
    I don't know. Might not be too bad hanging out at my local Yota dealership. No Tundras to sell me but there's lots of free donuts, coffee, bottled water, soda pop, popcorn, and sometimes the big score....... hotdogs. :yes:

Plus, my grandson can run around unattended putting his sticky little handprints on all the showroom cars....

Last edited: May 10, 2021
    gosolo, TundraTeddy, 15whtrd and 2 others like this.
  17. May 10, 2021 at 2:50 PM
    TomC843

TomC843 The wheel weaves as the wheel wills.

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    16, 4X4, 4U3, Katzkins, Flowmaster, ARE MX, Swing cases, TRD skid plate, Volant CAI....
    Hey let's give you a great trade in price and get you in to a new.....DAMMIT!

Black Wolf[QUOTED] likes this.
  18. May 10, 2021 at 2:50 PM
    Shamrock92

Member:
    At the Ram dealer I visited - they pointed me in the direction of the employee break room and vending machines and when asked “where’s the popcorn machine” - guess somebody’s gotta pay for that 0 for 72.

Black Wolf likes this.
  19. May 10, 2021 at 2:54 PM
    Shamrock92

Member:
    Clearly you have never worked in an auto dealership - amongst other places.

20. May 10, 2021 at 2:55 PM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    You have to bring your own bottled water when going to a Fiat truck dealership.....

21. May 10, 2021 at 3:04 PM
    Hbjeff

Hbjeff New Member

Member:
    Huntington Beach
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC 5.7 2wd
    there is a difference between trying to upsell and straight up screwing people too dumb for their own good. 106% interest is evil. Selling someone a car they can’t afford is their choice

22. May 10, 2021 at 3:06 PM
    15whtrd

15whtrd Mr. Blonde

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    White 2015 Tundra DC SR5 TRD 4x4 5.7L, White 2003 Sequoia 2WD
    TRD Pro suspension, +2 Coachbuilder shackles, 2015 TRD Pro headlights, 20% ceramic tinted windows, clear ceramic tinted front windshield, aFe drop in pro s dry air filter, TRD airflow accelerator, TRD oil fill cap, TRD 18 psi radiator cap, BDX Bullydog tuner, Weathertech floor mats front and rear, rear seat fold down mod, DNA hard trifold tonneau cover, Linex with uv protection, TRD rear swaybar, TRD center caps, TRD Pro grille insert with color matching surround and bulge, TRD PRO headlights, aluminum oil filter canister, Real truck tailgate seal, Pop-n-lock tailgate lock actuator, rear diff breather relocate, RCI front skid plate. 275/70 R18 BFG KO2s
    Before this Covid crap, you could stop by my dealer on certain days of the week and they would have catered with tacos and hotdogs with free drinks. I work in the city I live and have been known to stop by in the work truck just to get a free lunch. Getting a few dollars out of my dealer anyway I can LOL.

TundraTeddy, T-Rex266, Hbjeff and 2 others like this.
  23. May 10, 2021 at 3:13 PM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    I do stop by once a month to check out if the parts department got in any new Yota hats. When they have one I like I always get 20% off. Has absolutely nothing to do with the girl that works in the parts department ..........:anonymous:

Last edited: May 10, 2021
  24. May 10, 2021 at 3:29 PM
    15whtrd

15whtrd Mr. Blonde

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    White 2015 Tundra DC SR5 TRD 4x4 5.7L, White 2003 Sequoia 2WD
    TRD Pro suspension, +2 Coachbuilder shackles, 2015 TRD Pro headlights, 20% ceramic tinted windows, clear ceramic tinted front windshield, aFe drop in pro s dry air filter, TRD airflow accelerator, TRD oil fill cap, TRD 18 psi radiator cap, BDX Bullydog tuner, Weathertech floor mats front and rear, rear seat fold down mod, DNA hard trifold tonneau cover, Linex with uv protection, TRD rear swaybar, TRD center caps, TRD Pro grille insert with color matching surround and bulge, TRD PRO headlights, aluminum oil filter canister, Real truck tailgate seal, Pop-n-lock tailgate lock actuator, rear diff breather relocate, RCI front skid plate. 275/70 R18 BFG KO2s
    :rofl:

25. May 10, 2021 at 4:29 PM
    Cpl_Punishment

Cpl_Punishment Young men never die.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rosy
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM SR5 CM 4X4
    Boost Auto mirrors, RSB, Leer Legend canopy, Line-X bed liner
    I almost bought a new, previous year GM so I would have been looking at 3-something percent interest. The salesman kept trying to get me to agree to the loan repayment plan that would give me a lower monthly payment, even though I could afford the shorter term, higher payment option. (I ended up walking on the deal for another reason.)

Black Wolf likes this.
  26. May 10, 2021 at 6:38 PM
    ScenicRoute

ScenicRoute New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tundra CM Nightshade
    Eibach stage 2, SmartCap, Ride Rite, Bora spacers, 35” rugged ridge tires.
    I suppose you’re right. The other end of it whether cars or houses etc is not a good outcome.

Products Discussed in

To Top