1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

My 4wd is not engaging and ducks come in season soon.

Discussion in '2nd Gen Builds (2007-2013)' started by jhopkins, Sep 18, 2018.

1. Sep 18, 2018 at 12:15 PM
    jhopkins

jhopkins [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Vehicle:
    08 Sequoia
    I'm feeling completely retarded with this. I've got no codes in the computer with my issue. I think I'm googling this wrong because I can find anyone with the same issue, but....

When I switch to 4wd hi or lo I get a red flashing on the dash of my 4wd system with an "X" on it Then 4wd Hi starts flashing. If I keep switching the switch in the dash it will stay on until I turn the truck off and back on. Anyone got any clues???? It's a 2008 Tundra with about 210k on it.

I appreciate the help. Just trying to avoid going to the dealer and not replacing every part until I've rebuilt the whole system if I can.

2. Nov 6, 2018 at 10:19 AM
    TTCrewmax

TTCrewmax New Member

Member:
    When was the last time you turned the 4wd system on? Start with the 4HI. Put truck in neutral - turn the 4hi dial on. Put truck in drive and go slow for 4 or 5 revolutions. I find my truck has a hard time going into 4wd if I don't turn the dial every month or so. This usually fixes itself. Ever since I've made a point to put it in 4wd one a month I haven't had that issues come back. It's like the parts need to be lubed or something. Weird.

3. Nov 6, 2018 at 12:39 PM
    15whtrd

15whtrd Mr. Blonde

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    White 2015 Tundra DC SR5 TRD 4x4 5.7L, White 2003 Sequoia 2WD
    TRD Pro suspension, +2 Coachbuilder shackles, 2015 TRD Pro headlights, 20% ceramic tinted windows, clear ceramic tinted front windshield, aFe drop in pro s dry air filter, TRD airflow accelerator, TRD oil fill cap, TRD 18 psi radiator cap, BDX Bullydog tuner, Weathertech floor mats front and rear, rear seat fold down mod, DNA hard trifold tonneau cover, Linex with uv protection, TRD rear swaybar, TRD center caps, TRD Pro grille insert with color matching surround and bulge, TRD PRO headlights, aluminum oil filter canister, Real truck tailgate seal, Pop-n-lock tailgate lock actuator, rear diff breather relocate, RCI front skid plate. 275/70 R18 BFG KO2s
    Try switching it into for high and getting under the truck and banging on the actuator with a rubber mallet lightly. I have read that others have done this with success. Sounds like there something wrong with the actuator. Or it’s frozen.

4. Nov 21, 2018 at 5:23 PM
    tenntundra

tenntundra 2013 SR5 crewmax Barcelona red

Member:
    First Name:
    Walter
    Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    2013 barcelona red sr5 crewmax TRD tundra
    3" suspension lift, BMF 20" wheels 305/55/20 nitto ridge grappler tires,painted RED bushwhacker fender flares,fold up tonneu cover,100 watt led fog lights,led interior lights,borla dual exhaust,tinted windows,window vent visors, Toyota hood protector,toyota step bars,spyder carbon fiber floor mats,k&n air filter,painted brake calipers red, installed red lug nuts on wheels remote start.
    Check the vacuum lines going to the 4 wheel drive actuator. My 2000 tundra did the same thing and the vacuum line going to the actuator had a split on the end going into the plug

15whtrd likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top