1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

"Must Do" performance mods for someone on a budget??

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Tundras (2014-2021)' started by 14txtss, Jan 7, 2015.

1. Jan 7, 2015 at 11:36 AM
    14txtss

14txtss [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    2017 attitude black platinum 5.7 4x4
    Looking for ideas on "inexpensive" upgrades. I don't plan on doing serious off-roading, and this truck is my daily driver, so I won't be installing lifts and giant mudders.

Looking for thoughts on whether to install a K&N filter and/or a chip. Other ideas definitely welcome.

I started shopping for a K&N today and couldn't find one anywhere!!! Are they not recommended and therefor in low supply???

Wondering if a chip is going to do anything for me ether. I have 5.7L double cab 4x4. City and highway driving. Improving gas mileage would be a plus.

Thanks in advance!

About to go throw in my new X-act floor mats so I don't soil my pretty OEM ones. :cheers:

2. Jan 7, 2015 at 12:09 PM
    T-Rex266

T-Rex266 Elon approved Staff Member

Member:
    Any chip is pointless...the programmer is the way to go from what I've read from various forums.

I took my OEM rears ones out and put in the aftermarket ones. Much better for the winter :)

3. Jan 7, 2015 at 12:11 PM
    Relentless

Relentless Eric @Relentless Fab Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    East of the Sierras(Reno), Nevada
    Vehicle:
    '14 Crewmax TRD 4x4> '15 Duramax SLT
    Just a few, more to come
    I would not do a "cold air intake" such as K&Nas it really does nothing aside let more crap into your engine due to less filtration and by design the factory intake is already a true cold air intake. A few extra high RPM HP may open up with the K&N but how often do you redline the truck. Probably not often.

I would look moreso into exhaust systems over an intake; the MBRP I have on my truck is one of the least expensive and so far I really enjoy it. Not sure if there was actual performance gain or not (butt dyno's arent very accurate ;)) but I love the sound and it looks to have improved MPG around a 1/2 MPG.
    Next for me will be the Hypertech Interceptor tuner, it gets good reviews and isnt terribly expensive. I've heard of them giving better throttle response as well as a touch better MPG as well

theblurry1, robie56 and T-Rex266 like this.
  4. Jan 7, 2015 at 12:48 PM
    FunkinTundra

FunkinTundra New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tundra 5.7 CM
    OME614 full suspension\ Ekstrom design 3" shackles and poly bushing kit\ 295/70r18 Toyo MTs/ +20 offset Fuel Anzas\ 8" BAmuffler....etc...
    I agree with @Relentless 100%... I have the 8" BAmuffler that is built by Keith with Dirty Deeds Industries. He is on a lot of the tundra forums but I don't think he has made his way here yet. This muffler has been dyno tested a couple times with some little gains... around 10 HP and 20 FP of torque...they are a bit pricey but he has a budget system (no muffler/straight pipes) that will produce the same #s for an AWESOME deal. Not to mention they sound fantastic!! Youtube "bamuffler" if you haven't already... You can remove your charcoal filter in your air box. Not sure if that is different in the 2014s... I didn't really see any gains by doing this but my engine sounds like its breathing better...

5. Jan 8, 2015 at 7:04 PM
    Kwazziee

Kwazziee New Member

Member:
    2014 Tundra 4X4 SR5 CM 5.7L TRD Off Road, Bilstein 5100, CB 3+ Shackles, CB Shims, CB Carrier Drop Kit, Flowmaster American Thunder Catback, 5000K HID, Blacked Out Taillight/3rd Brake Light, 4 x 5 inch KC Driving Lights, NFab Front Bumper Light Bar, Fuel Crank 18x9, Toyo Open Country 295/70/18, Custom Audio System and JBA LT Header w/ JBA mid-pipes (in progress), NFAB W2W - 6 steps (next on to-do list)
    Chips? Don't think, ask or say this word as it's does nothing.Think about it, chips runs about 20-$30 and promise 60-100hp gains. Sounds too good to be true? It is. Stay away from it, just a waste of your hard earn cash. Look into Hypertech Interceptor and BullyDog programmers. These are proven to give gains.

CAI are useless on our truck as the stock is a CAI itself. Spend this money on something else. If you have to have a CAI then do a SABM for lot less.

IMO the best mod would be long tube headers. Best bang for the buck and give you what you are looking for. Performance and mpg gains. And to mention fun to drive. Lots of low end torque gains. Add a decent free-flow muffler and you're golden.

Enjoy the ride.

6. Jan 8, 2015 at 8:10 PM
    csuviper

csuviper Moderator Staff Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Broomfield, CO
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Sport CM 5.7L 4X4
    Some Mods :) See build thread for details
  7. Jan 8, 2015 at 8:21 PM
    Kwazziee

Kwazziee New Member

Member:
    2014 Tundra 4X4 SR5 CM 5.7L TRD Off Road, Bilstein 5100, CB 3+ Shackles, CB Shims, CB Carrier Drop Kit, Flowmaster American Thunder Catback, 5000K HID, Blacked Out Taillight/3rd Brake Light, 4 x 5 inch KC Driving Lights, NFab Front Bumper Light Bar, Fuel Crank 18x9, Toyo Open Country 295/70/18, Custom Audio System and JBA LT Header w/ JBA mid-pipes (in progress), NFAB W2W - 6 steps (next on to-do list)
  8. Jan 8, 2015 at 8:23 PM
    csuviper

csuviper Moderator Staff Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Broomfield, CO
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Sport CM 5.7L 4X4
    Some Mods :) See build thread for details
    Thank you sir

9. Jan 9, 2015 at 12:24 AM
    chphilo

chphilo Tundra addict

Member:
    Western PA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Toyota Tundra TRD 5.7 4x4 CM
    I have seen a slight increase in mpg from TRD exhaust and intake, but that was an unexpected gain. Now I am lifted with huge a$$ tires, that slight gain is irrelevant. I got them for the sound, not for performance gain. I did not notice any low end torque loss.

But TRD exhaust and intake are rather expensive.

10. Jan 9, 2015 at 8:12 AM
    14txtss

14txtss [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    2017 attitude black platinum 5.7 4x4
    Thanks for everyone's input! Doubtful I will be replacing exhaust unless I somehow end up with a ton of extra vacation time and then I would install it myself (not likely).

Forgive my ignorance - but what do Hypertech Interceptor and BullyDog programmers do?

11. Jan 9, 2015 at 9:05 AM
    Relentless

Relentless Eric @Relentless Fab Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    East of the Sierras(Reno), Nevada
    Vehicle:
    '14 Crewmax TRD 4x4> '15 Duramax SLT
    Just a few, more to come
    My MBRP exhaust took me 15 minutes to install. One of the guys in my shop timed me. Even if you didnt use cordless power tools like I did, should only take a half hour including unboxing and reading the install guide. Its that easy.

The Hypertech interceptor, from my understanding, does exactly what it says.... intercepts the info from some sensors and feeds different info to the computer. One plugs into the wiring for the gas pedal which effects the lazy throttle response, and the other plugs in under the hood between a couple other sensors (cam position and something else iirc). I guess hypertech found some inefficiencies and programmed their interceptor to modify the signals from the sensors. The nice thing about the Hypertech it is it can be removed without leaving a trace unlike a ecu reflash/tune and hasnt been known to harm the factory computer as some other tuners leave open. I've heard of a few bricked ecu's from the other guys. :eek:

12. Jan 9, 2015 at 9:42 AM
    BigRob

BigRob 1500 Silverado

Member:
    Kiln, MS
    Vehicle:
    2014 4.6 V8
    Oreillys auto has the k&n box filter that fits the tundras. I have not seen much difference in mpgs. But if I give it a little gas. U can hear it. Sounds cool. But not significant.

13. Feb 7, 2015 at 1:21 AM
    corc305

corc305 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Vehicle:
    2015 Black Tundra 4x4 TRD CM
    Earl's Rear Seat Storage / Dex's Stock Air Box Mod - Tundrageeks
    I installed Dex's Stock Air Box Mod. I notice a difference especially getting up to speed on the freeway. Prior to the install my life trip MPG was 12.7 and a few hundred miles after the install, 13.2, and I'm definitely harder on the gas after the install. (took it easy during a break in period)

http://tundrageeks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8800

14. Apr 25, 2015 at 3:08 PM
    Dave333

Dave333 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Vehicle:
    2015 Platinum CrewMax
    If you go CAI at least get a dry filter. You just wash it in the sink so it'll be the last one you buy.

I seconD L/T's. URD normally has the lowest price. Best bang for the buck.

15. May 12, 2015 at 6:46 PM
    BigRob

BigRob 1500 Silverado

Member:
    Kiln, MS
    Vehicle:
    2014 4.6 V8

Products Discussed in

To Top