1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

MPG improvement with cold air intake?

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by joonbug, Jan 11, 2017.

?

How did your CAI affect your MPG's?

1. worse

11.9%
  2. no change

20.3%
  3. slight increase

25.4%
  4. increased 2-3 mpgs

3.4%
  5. more than 3 mpgs

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Stock so don't know the affect

39.0%
  1. Jan 17, 2017 at 9:35 PM
    ColoradoTJ

ColoradoTJ Certified tow LEO Staff Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
    It does. Wonder if the quality is there?

2. Jan 17, 2017 at 9:46 PM
    TruckyTruck

TruckyTruck Dumbest Username

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Texas
  3. Jan 17, 2017 at 9:51 PM
    TruckyTruck

TruckyTruck Dumbest Username

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Texas
    If there was a way to tune our trucks without the ECU learning... Maybe an aftermarket cai would be worth it. The more likely result of any change from stock to aftermarket or a modified stock box will be..... A loss in low end torque!!! :goingcrazy:

csuviper likes this.
  4. Jan 17, 2017 at 11:26 PM
    csuviper

csuviper Moderator Staff Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Broomfield, CO
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Sport CM 5.7L 4X4
    Some Mods :) See build thread for details
    There it is again.... :annoyed:
    L.E.T.

TruckyTruck[QUOTED] likes this.
  5. Jan 18, 2017 at 12:27 AM
    tat2ude39

tat2ude39 MYota

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    San Tan Valley, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tundra SR5 Crewmax ~ ARMY GREEN
    When I first joined this forum I was GREEN to everything about possible mods to my first real truck. I got sucked into the hype and flash of all the claims in adding an aftermarket cai. I even added the throttle body spacer. I voted worse MPG. Why, for about $500 invested, I got lots of whistle and some grumble out of my exhaust, resulting in a heavy foot at lift off from every light. Not to mention constant on and off of my check engine light. I'd say don't waste your money. There are dozens of other things better served to help in the performance area. I put my stock box back in with a drop in K & N filter ($55). Sounds exactly the same as the $400+ AFE Momentum 2.

scurdyness likes this.
  6. Jan 18, 2017 at 7:32 AM
    csuviper

csuviper Moderator Staff Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Broomfield, CO
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Sport CM 5.7L 4X4
    Some Mods :) See build thread for details
    Rotopax group by going on right now.
    https://www.tundras.com/threads/group-buy-rotopax.9940/#post-163420

7. Mar 6, 2017 at 10:43 AM
    Stumpjumper

Stumpjumper New Member

Member:
    Fate, Tx
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra TSS 4x4
    I did by climbing up the hill at the local dairy farm and skiing down. No lift to get you up.

trayday[QUOTED] likes this.
  8. Mar 6, 2017 at 10:46 AM
    FirstGenTundra

FirstGenTundra R2R

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    2014 Toyota Tundra TRD
    I had one on my 2000 Tundra, went from 17.5mpg to 15.5 over night. Only performance difference I ever noticed was when towing a trailer. She was a bit more sluggish with a stock intake. It does make the engine sound more impressive. I will not be buying one for my 2014 Tundra.

9. Mar 6, 2017 at 11:23 AM
    joonbug

joonbug [OP] °°°°°°°°°°

Member:
    First Name:
    Joon
    NorCal - Dublin
    Vehicle:
    2020 Long Travel DC
    He should add a hood scoop so it won't be so noticeable.

Black Wolf and GNTundra like this.
  10. Mar 6, 2017 at 5:03 PM
    Black Wolf

Black Wolf Bigfoot Hunter, Sasquatch too, but not Yeti

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    2022 Nissan Frontier SV 4X4
    TuwaPro rack, Z1 Offroad stuff, NISMO suspension stuff, FlowmasterFX Extreme exhaust, AIS, OVS, J&L can, other goodies on the way
    That car was the reject car that was eventually used in the alt universe Back to the Future movie. It had the Binford 5000 "anti-fux" capacitor installed.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2017
    GNTundra and joonbug[OP] like this.
  11. Mar 6, 2017 at 5:31 PM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    TuwaPro rack, Z1 Offroad stuff, NISMO suspension stuff, FlowmasterFX Extreme exhaust, AIS, OVS, J&L can, other goodies on the way
    I wonder if that car had hydraulics' installed too. Game Changer for sure. (where are my prescrip opiate meds?) oh...there they are.

GNTundra likes this.
  12. Mar 6, 2017 at 5:34 PM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    I'm in pretty deep shit already.

GNTundra likes this.
  13. Apr 3, 2017 at 10:58 PM
    Jsena

Jsena Trend setter, not a follower!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle:
    A Bad Bissshhhh
    7 inch BDS LIFT, 22x10 RBP wheels 37 inch Atturo MT Tires, Flowmaster, Bullydog Tuner
    With all this talk about MPG, does it really give you extra Horse power?? Anyone what brand are you using and does it help with gains

14. Apr 5, 2017 at 6:19 PM
    DawgGam

DawgGam New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Hamiton Ont
    Vehicle:
    2011 Black Tundra Dbl SR5TRD
    (included in purchase) LineX nerf bars Extang Solid Fold tonneau Weather Tech mats Tow Mirrors (future improvements) Autogas (propane) tint ventshades (Oct 10) back up camera Leer work cap (thinking about keeping the tonneau cover) bed-slide rear 'helper bags'
    We are all well aware that Tundras are not known for fuel economy, that being said....

Yep... you want any noticeable increase in MPG's you can go with long tube headers and a true dual exhaust or add a turbo (7-10psi) to your existing exhaust... both will net you more horsepower and torque therefore decreasing the amount of work it takes to roll these behemoths down the road.

Regarding increased fuel capacity... propane. This is a mod that depends on the price of 'autogas' (propane pumped for vehicular usage) can actually give you an ROI. Autogas where I am is typically half the cost of gas on any given day.

I average 15mpg on gas and 13.5mpg on autogas giving me a combined average of 14.2mpg... my combined fuel capacity is 52gals. that equates to a max 741 miles. However I only go 700 on those occasions that I need to drive the propane tank dry and the gas tank damn near empty. Aside from those day trips, I seldom dip into the gasoline except for initial or cold start ups.

Lilly likes this.
  15. Mar 31, 2020 at 6:30 AM
    MMA Lover28

MMA Lover28 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    NY
    Vehicle:
    2018 Barcelona Red 5.7l V8 tundra sr5 doublecab TRD offroad. 4x4
    1.TRD dual exhaust 2. K and n drop in oiled panel filter 3. Tonneau tri fold hard top 4. 6" antenna carwash proof 5. Weather tech floor liners 6.Weather tech window liners 7. Front windows tinted to match 8. Matt black tailgate decal insert 9.Front and rear dashcam full 1080 hd infared cams with motion and g force sensors, 120fps and 64g sd memory. 10. Backup battery 5000ah (blackboxmycar.com) (Weathertech.com) (Realtruck.com) (Sparkparts.com) (Toyota.com/parts/TRD) (KNfilters.com) (Lexan ceramic auto tints@ amazon.com) (ToyotaOEM/tundra/badgeoverlay) (Antenna found on (amazon.com)
    Good day all. Hope everyone finds themselves in good health and spirits in this pandemic. So with much internal debate I broke down and added the TRD performance CAI on my tundra, reasoning to complement the TRD Duals I installed. So 1st noticed yes it has slightly amplified the growl at approx 2000rpms. 2nd, my gas needle and range were all fukd up since buying my truck. So when I proceeded to re-connect the negative battery terminal upon completing installation my computer reset. I also pressed the reset button near the OBD. prior my range on FULL TANK never exceeded 425...since the reset i filled up and my range is now 615 give or take at full now. Basicaly the OBD was acting as if I had a 26.5gal rather than my 38gal tank. With that being said my average mpg dropped to 9!! I have no lift no enormous treaded tires. I drove like a grandma around town yesterday driving 30mph or under. I managed to get 15mpg! Bringing my average up to 11.1. Prior to the CAI, I averaged about 12.9 to 13 mpg, HOWEVER, my computer said i could only go 425 miles on full. Now i can go 615 miles on a full tank. The more computerized your vehichal is, (think Mercedes, BMW, Audi) you are at the mercy of the dealership. The dealership doesn't give a Frenchman's fk about your wallet, they just want to upsell you shit you dont need to poor undeserving americans, just to fill the wallet of these auto corporations. They kick back a huge chunk of change to the politicians if they hop on board with the global warming band of bullshit. Its all an agenda! Some will understand it, most will not. So you see, produce cars that are so efficient! Set all these CARB emission standards and cry global warming. GTFOH with that. Making the middle class suffer from the propaganda of big corp and CERTAIN political agendas is bullsht. Lets hold fast to our constitutional rights! Live and let Live! Stay safe and keep truckin!

16. Mar 31, 2020 at 3:25 PM
    Tundra_power

Tundra_power New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Toyota could put a better intake but anything more than 3in inlet will let alot more noise in. They focus on epa and nvs ratings so customers wont complain about noise..

17. Mar 31, 2020 at 6:56 PM
    Stumpjumper

Stumpjumper New Member

Member:
    Fate, Tx
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra TSS 4x4
    Sounds like a political rant to me not about CAI

Products Discussed in

To Top