1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Mountain Bikes

Discussion in 'Sports, Hobbies & Interests' started by DiegoC, Mar 7, 2019.

1. Mar 7, 2019 at 10:56 AM
    OHP

OHP New Member

Member:
    Gallatin, TN
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra TRD Sport
    Current Mods: JL Audio Stereo System, Truxedo Bed Cover, Console Organizer, Tint, Matt Gekko bed lights, tailgate auto lock, black badges Upcoming Mods: Level, Leather, Remote Start

I'll second this. My original full sup bike was a Gary Fisher HiFi. Loved the bike but I broke the frame after 7 years. During that time Trek bought out Gary Fisher so I thought I was screwed. Took it to my LBS and they replaced the frame under warranty with a new Trek Top Fuel frame. I couldn't believe it.

The point is, if you're going to spend a couple grand on a mtn bike, buy one made by a reputable company.

Danman34[QUOTED] likes this.
  2. Mar 7, 2019 at 11:16 AM
    OBXTundra

OBXTundra Member

Member:
    Southeast USA
    Vehicle:
    2018 Nissan Armada, 4x4
    Wild guess....Broke the rear triangle?
    My buddy broke 2 rear triangles on his HiFi while GF was still in business. Then he went 5 years and broke another, by that time he had to deal with Trek. Trek did the same thing, no questions asked. He now has a 2019 Trek Fuel EX9 frameset. All of the standards have changed by now so that affected his wheelset, fork, BB, and a few other items. But overall he still made out like a bandit.

3. Mar 7, 2019 at 11:31 AM
    OHP

OHP New Member

Member:
    Gallatin, TN
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra TRD Sport
    Current Mods: JL Audio Stereo System, Truxedo Bed Cover, Console Organizer, Tint, Matt Gekko bed lights, tailgate auto lock, black badges Upcoming Mods: Level, Leather, Remote Start

Yep, triangle broke almost right in the middle. I had to replace several components like your buddy did but I made out like a bandit as well. I love my Top Fuel. It's capable of a helluva lot more than it's driver. Just like my Tundra! :D

OBXTundra[QUOTED] likes this.
  4. Mar 7, 2019 at 12:34 PM
    Outbound

Outbound SSEM #2.5, Token AmeriCanadian

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Northern Alberta
    Vehicle:
    2022 CrewMax TRD Off Road, MGM of course.
    Agree 100%. I always rode hard tail in my racing days and now that Im getting back into riding, Im sticking with a hard tail. FS bikes are great but require more upkeep and a more advanced rider skill set to really benefit.

I have a Specialized Rockhopper with 29" wheels. Good bike but the 29ers arent my thing. OP may like them though.

My next bike will probably be a Kona Big Honzo 27.5

Last edited: Mar 7, 2019
  5. Mar 7, 2019 at 12:44 PM
    Atomic City Tundra

Atomic City Tundra Cam Tower Leak Addict

Member:
    First Name:
    Devin
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra 5.7FFV CM 4X4

Don't even get the 29" vs 26" argument started.

Seriously, I have never seen people get so heated about stuff then when talking about mountain bikes. It makes me chuckle, because I am not really that hardcore into it - I just like to get out in the mountains and have a good time. But some people get super duper into it - and really defensive about it. They are also quick to tell you how your equipment is holding you back and not good enough and blah blah blah blah. I have run into more elitists in this sport than any other.

6. Mar 7, 2019 at 1:38 PM
    nowayout

nowayout New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    NY
    Vehicle:
    17 CM
    I really enjoy my Trek Stache 5 and the guy I rode most with has a Rocky Mountain Growler that he hasn't had any issues with. We ride mostly single track in the North East.

Web_Growler_50_Hero.jpg

ColoradoTJ, DiegoC[OP] and OBXTundra like this.
  7. Mar 7, 2019 at 1:50 PM
    Outbound

Outbound SSEM #2.5, Token AmeriCanadian

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Northern Alberta
    Vehicle:
    2022 CrewMax TRD Off Road, MGM of course.
    I hear ya. The wheel size thing is highly personal and riding style dependent. I dont argue with people and just tell them to ride what works for them. The best wheel size is the size you like to ride for the riding style you have.

There certainly are elitists in the sport but I havent run into very many, even when I was in the race scene. Might be a different group up here in Canuckistan though.

Getting out and bombing some trails is all about fun whether its on a $200 hand me down special or a $10,000 custom bike.

8. Mar 7, 2019 at 5:45 PM
    OBXTundra

OBXTundra Member

Member:
    Southeast USA
    Vehicle:
    2018 Nissan Armada, 4x4
    A friend just bought a Stache. He loves it. Trying to do everything with 1 bike. XC races, gravel grinds, and even some touring.

Wheel size, carbon, bar size, stem length, rim width, etc....debates are comical. It's what fits you and what you like. I'll give my opinion on why I like something but I refuse to debate it. I've got 26, 700c, and 27.5 all in my fleet. No 29 just out of personal preference, not based on physics or engineering.

Outbound[QUOTED] likes this.
  9. Mar 7, 2019 at 5:58 PM
    Grumpy Uncle

Grumpy Uncle Pushing string down the hall SSEM #10

Member:
    First Name:
    Pat
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2016 Black CM Tundra TRD Off Road
    4:88s and Auburn LSD, dealership faux Pro, 35" BFGs on XD wheels, OME Lift with Dakars
    Cannondale
    Trek
    Specialized
    GT
    Diamond Back
    Gary Fisher

I have been happy all of the above. Just like a truck look for last years model to save money. I know here in my area we have bike rental places that sell their bikes after a year or 2. You can save some coin that way. When I had my Specialized I that's how I got mine.

10. Mar 7, 2019 at 6:48 PM
    myt1

myt1 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tundra DC TRD SR5 Desert Sand Mica
    OME Lift, 275/70R 18
    I got a great used bike off the website Pinkbike.com

It’s a great site for used bikes.

smslavin, VTYOTA and OBXTundra like this.
  11. Mar 7, 2019 at 7:03 PM
    Newm

Newm New Member

Member:
    KC
    Lots of good advice in here. My .02 at that price point it's either used full suspension (which I wouldn't personally do because I like my frames warrantied) or nice entry level hardtail. I like the hardtail for pedaling efficiency and skills building and everything that comes along with that. If I was looking for a hardtail in that price range it'd be the Santa Cruz Chameleon in either the Aluminium D (29er) or D+ (27.5+). Rip the hell out of the thing and know you are covered with a lifetime frame warranty from a company that will most definitely stand behind it. Your frame is the most important aspect to this purchase IMO.

Bike snobbery out of the way...any of the name brand bikes are all so good anymore pick one as you can't go wrong. Have fun!

https://www.santacruzbicycles.com/en-US/chameleon

ColoradoTJ and OBXTundra like this.
  12. Mar 8, 2019 at 10:41 AM
    JDL17CM4x4

JDL17CM4x4 Adventure Mobile

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Riverside, CA
    Vehicle:
    2017 White Tundra TRD 4x4
    More to Come ...
    I would definitely look at pinkbike.com. You can get a nice used bike with a few upgraded components ten you can if you were to buy new. Unless you want the full warranty and all then buy new.

VTYOTA likes this.
  13. Mar 8, 2019 at 10:44 AM
    JDL17CM4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Riverside, CA
    Vehicle:
    More to Come ...
    I bought this bike used for 2K off pinkbike.com and the upgraded wheel set on it alone is worth 1800.

IMG_1159.jpg

ColoradoTJ, smslavin, VTYOTA and 2 others like this.
  14. Mar 8, 2019 at 5:37 PM
    Danman34

Danman34 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Danny
    Vehicle:
    2018 White Tundra TRD Sport
    Fastest bike I’ve ever rode. Handles it with ease and the frame never feels uneasy. Makes for a very fun bike

9B7B7989-07D1-4C63-B7BB-57E42FF47814.jpg

OBXTundra likes this.
  15. Mar 15, 2019 at 7:14 AM
    JDL17CM4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Riverside, CA
    Vehicle:
    More to Come ...
    Just saw Jenson's was selling this at a great bike. Honestly Diamondback is making a come back and the MTB are getting better.

Right in your price range too. Not sure if you want a 29er but those are the new craze now.

IMG_1451.jpg

16. Mar 15, 2019 at 7:36 AM
    Jengel451

Jengel451 Misanthropist

Member:
    The Bitterroot, MT
    Vehicle:
    2017 Barcelona TRD Limited CrewMax
    3/1.5 Toytec/Icon AAL, 17" Rebounds, 317-70-70 ST Maxx's
    when I moved from Washington down to the Kansas City area, I had to begrudgingly get rid of my big framed Specialized Enduro Evo full suspension and go back to a hard tail. the terrain just doesn't justify the added weight and cost of a full suspension bike and to be honest, i'm finding myself enjoying how easy it is to grind up hills. I picked up a Specialized Fuse 650B+ I'm sold on the mid fatty tires now, the things just give hero levels of grip! Cost isn't all that bad for a used Fuse if you can find them.

Now that i'm moving back up to the mountains of Montana I will get a downhill bike, and keep the hard tail Fuse for sure, it's just a good tool for all around riding.

So, to the OP, get a used Hard tail, figure out what you want to ride and how you want to ride, then move to your next bike and invest more $$ at that time.

17. Mar 15, 2019 at 7:59 AM
    rvrats2

rvrats2 Too Often Yankees Overprice This Auto

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Carbondalé, CO
    Vehicle:
    2011 SR5. Bench Seat!
    @DiegoC
    —I have a Diamondback Overdrive Carbon Pro for sale! PM me if you’re interested. It’s only a year old, I put bigger tires in it, no rubbing. Size is a large, for someone in the 6’ range. Great bike! I just upgraded to a Diamondback full suspension.
    I still have the box from then new bike so shipping is easy.

D2DD6268-F996-41C8-8F95-1C7009E06A18.jpg

OBXTundra and DiegoC[OP] like this.
  18. Mar 15, 2019 at 8:58 AM
    smslavin

smslavin Behind a lens...

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Hudson Valley
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra CrewMax SR5
    Some stuff
    apple vs windows
    canon vs nikon
    toyota vs ford

grew up racing on 26 so it's what i've stuck with on both the trail bike and the DH bike. i had a steel hardtail 29 that was single speed. quite fun but i couldn't get my head around wagon wheels in the dirt. 26 wheel parts are getting hard to find these days though which is a bummer since both bikes (SB66 and 303RDH) are still in great shape and do not need replacing.

definitely check the classifieds at pinkbike. so. many. deals.

19. Mar 15, 2019 at 9:08 AM
    VTYOTA

VTYOTA I DECLARE BANKRUPTCY!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Howard
    'Merica
    Vehicle:
    2014 SS CM TRD
    I agree with those who recommend pinkbike.com. You can find great deals on used bikes.

If you want fun and a workout, I suggest a hardtail single speed. I ride a Specialized Epic HT single speed that I built and love it.

specialized_epic_ht_ss.jpg

JDL17CM4x4 and smslavin like this.
  20. Mar 15, 2019 at 10:04 AM
    Jengel451

Jengel451 Misanthropist

Member:
    The Bitterroot, MT
    Vehicle:
    2017 Barcelona TRD Limited CrewMax
    3/1.5 Toytec/Icon AAL, 17" Rebounds, 317-70-70 ST Maxx's
    Single speeds are awesome. Fixies, clipped in on technical is freaking NUTS! I still only use platforms for trails.

smslavin, OBXTundra and VTYOTA like this.
  21. Mar 15, 2019 at 1:06 PM
    porkitt

porkitt New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Vehicle:
    Tundra Pro Cement
    DAP Tune ESP Storage RCI Skids Icon Rebound ABS Guards AVS Vent Visor FRAC Harness 50 Cal/Antenna X BFG KO2 HID Extra Light Bar White Knuckle Off Road Sliders BAK Industries Revolver X2 Oh Shit Handles Pop and Lock LED Internal and Reverse Lights LED Footwell lights Tuffy Storage Console organizers Viper Alarm and Remote Start
    Do you know what size your looking for?

22. Mar 15, 2019 at 5:39 PM
    DiegoC

DiegoC [OP] New car smell

Member:
    First Name:
    Diego
    Vehicle:
    2016 White Tundra Limited
    ReadyLift SST 3/1 Level Lift W/ sum 35's
    That I don’t know. I’m 5’10

23. Mar 15, 2019 at 5:40 PM
    nowayout

nowayout New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    NY
    Vehicle:
    17 CM
    Could be a medium or a large depending on how they feel

24. Mar 15, 2019 at 5:47 PM
    porkitt

porkitt New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Vehicle:
    Tundra Pro Cement
    DAP Tune ESP Storage RCI Skids Icon Rebound ABS Guards AVS Vent Visor FRAC Harness 50 Cal/Antenna X BFG KO2 HID Extra Light Bar White Knuckle Off Road Sliders BAK Industries Revolver X2 Oh Shit Handles Pop and Lock LED Internal and Reverse Lights LED Footwell lights Tuffy Storage Console organizers Viper Alarm and Remote Start
    I’d recommend going to a local shop and ask to get fitted, try out different brands and sizes so you can have a better idea of what fits you best.

25. Mar 16, 2019 at 4:14 AM
    Jo Donovan

Jo Donovan New Member

Member:
    Hi, man! As well as ou I have spent hours long to find something suitable for me. I know how much it is important to make a right decision that will approach all the requirements, I mean security, comfort and outgoings. By this time http://bestadviser.net/reviews/moun...p-mountain-bikes-helmets-and-clothing-review/ topic helped a lot. I'm on my Northwoods now and just need secondary equipment. Hope this message will help you)

26. Apr 4, 2019 at 9:23 PM
    ColoradoTJ

ColoradoTJ Certified tow LEO Staff Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
    Some really good advice in this thread.

I always rode HT and mainly for training for MX, but always liked a good XC bike.

After buying this last KTM, I found out very quickly how conditioned I used to be, and how unconditioned I have become. Time to get a new (to me) bike for all around fun.

Been eyeballing a Specialized Enduro SL Pro Carbon with some upgrades.B4068353-D1C9-49A7-8E11-893B849ADC89.jpg

smslavin and porkitt like this.
  27. Apr 5, 2019 at 6:53 AM
    smslavin

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Hudson Valley
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra CrewMax SR5
    Some stuff
    not sure what your price range is but i think you can do better. actually, i know you can do better.

for example, this santa cruz nomad or this ibis or this transition. i'm partial to yeti so for a few more dollars, there's this nice sb6c. or, if you want to go totally baller, there's this alchemy.

alchemy is a personal wishlist item of mine. their shop is just down the road from our house and my normal daily ride route goes right by there. i've wanted one of their road frames ever since we moved here. everything is done in-house, including rolling their carbon tubes. the guy that designed the arktos used to work at yeti. that bike would be a total screamer.

my only other recommendation would if you could find a used evil. those are screamers too. any of them would be a way nicer ride than that enduro especially with your moto background.

ColoradoTJ[QUOTED] likes this.
  28. Apr 5, 2019 at 7:33 AM
    ColoradoTJ

ColoradoTJ Certified tow LEO Staff Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
    Oh some good ideas Sean. Exactly what I’m looking for. Thanks.

This is 1100.00, with a few good upgrades. I about had a heart attack seeing the original price of 5500.00 and then adding 1000.00 in wheel upgrade. :eek2:

smslavin[QUOTED] likes this.
  29. Apr 5, 2019 at 7:46 AM
    smslavin

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Hudson Valley
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra CrewMax SR5
    Some stuff
    yea, it can be a little ridiculous. kinda like trucks. but, just like trucks, you want something that will perform to however far you're going to push it. with your moto background, you'll want a 6" (180mm) bike with a low bottom bracket and a slack head tube on a 27.5 wheel. i would also look for 180mm rotors as 160s will not give you the braking power you'll be expecting. it's an easy upgrade if you can't find something already set up that way.

carbon wheels are not necessary and if you get to the point where you want new ones, bring me the parts and i'll build them for you. i ran stan's rims with chris king hubs on both my yetis. they are bulletproof. i've trued them twice in the last 6 years and i push them hard.

ColoradoTJ[QUOTED] likes this.
  30. Apr 5, 2019 at 7:57 AM
    porkitt

porkitt New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Vehicle:
    Tundra Pro Cement

Have seen the Pivot Firebird?

Products Discussed in

To Top