1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

MORIMOTO XB LED HEADLIGHTS 16+

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by eledobleu, Feb 13, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aug 23, 2019 at 5:08 PM
    eledobleu

eledobleu [OP] retrofitwholesale.com

Member:
    Orlando, FL
    Koito Bi-LED Retrofit
    Yes I know but you guys mis understand me or maybe I used the wrong statement. These are the final versions, minus any small issues that needs to be fixed like moisture issues, tabs not aligning etc . So when TRS receives the BIG shipment, all of those issues will be sorted out. There won't be other versions of the lights.

2. Aug 23, 2019 at 5:11 PM
    TRD_femi

TRD_femi New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Pro
    No bra, I did not misunderstand or misread (I know how to read, thank you very much).
    Again, go back & re-read what you posted.
    If you fell the need to edit the post, then go ahead

BlueBottle, Ryuu and Pudge like this.
  3. Aug 23, 2019 at 5:15 PM
    eledobleu

Member:
    Orlando, FL
    Koito Bi-LED Retrofit
    Not saying you misunderstood. When us dealers and TRS all speak we use these terms. I completely forgot how sensitive these forums are and thinking I'm posting in a dealer forums. Completely my mistake. Again these are the final production lights, minus any issues that's reported and will be fixed.

BTW it's not likely I'll be doing a group on these headlights. :sick:

Carry-on gentlemen....... :popcorn:

4. Aug 23, 2019 at 5:27 PM
    Pudge

Pudge Super Secret Elite Member #7

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2015 Blue Ribbon Platinum
    TRD PRO grille, OCD consol organizers, DIY wireless phone charger, 33" Michelin Defender LTX MS, Bak revolver X2 tonneau, weathertech liners, 20% tints. DIY pop n lock, 2018 LED headlights, morimoto fogs, TRD shift knob, DirtyDeeds 8"BAM exhaust, kenwood HU,JL amp, Tech12volts Tundra full speaker upgrade w/sub, Swing case, and lots of fluid film
    More of the same crap. I highly suggest dealing with morimoto directly, certain vendors and " group buy facilitators" have done nothing but caused issues in the past and nothing seems to have changed there.
    These lights are pretty bad ass, but for the money they are asking for them, I would want perfection. So you can bet if I had any issue I would be talking warranty directly with morimoto. I hope everyone gets the bugs straightened out and new lights under warranty.
    On a side note I saw that they are bringing back the amber LED fog lights for our trucks. I have the clear and they are pretty good for what I paid, if I could score a deal on the amber I might bite.

TRD_femi likes this.
  5. Aug 23, 2019 at 5:33 PM
    TRD_femi

TRD_femi New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Pro
    That's an absolute cop-out.
    This same forum, where you've been "peddling" your stuff for years is suddenly "sensitive"?
    **Full disclosure: I own a set of these XB lights & I'm not in the least worried**
    Then you wanna 'drop the mic' with "Carry-on gentlemen..."
    That's weak.

If you make an incorrect statement, be a man, own it & move on. It's just that simple.

Cdorman, wasabi4, Luckydog and 3 others like this.
  6. Aug 23, 2019 at 5:45 PM
    NCTundra1980

NCTundra1980 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Vehicle:
    2019 SR5
    These type things goes through development and improvements along the way. Either way regardless of any of these posts I believe Morimoto would want to give us the best they can. Otherwise future projects would have a bad name. I think it’s like buying a brand new model year vehicle people that want the latest greatest unfortunately see the most problems before they are worked out. Thankfully for us Toyota is pretty good at getting issues worked out before hand. Let’s all just see how it all turns out I’m sure everything will work out and these lights will be a great upgrade to our trucks. It’s a blessing for anyone to have the money to spend on headlights.

Cdorman and eledobleu[OP] like this.
  7. Aug 23, 2019 at 5:56 PM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    TRD PRO grille, OCD consol organizers, DIY wireless phone charger, 33" Michelin Defender LTX MS, Bak revolver X2 tonneau, weathertech liners, 20% tints. DIY pop n lock, 2018 LED headlights, morimoto fogs, TRD shift knob, DirtyDeeds 8"BAM exhaust, kenwood HU,JL amp, Tech12volts Tundra full speaker upgrade w/sub, Swing case, and lots of fluid film
    Lol. I couldn't disagree more, I mean let's not get ahead of ourselves here. Morimoto makes some good aftermarket options.... but some OEM lights and even baja designs lights blow away morimotos. This is coming from someone who owns some morimoto lights. I mean check out this video on Audi headlight. This is only some of the LED technology that Audi has, I'm sure other car manufacturers have similar
    https://youtu.be/F4-iwuzAey4

Winning8 likes this.
  8. Aug 23, 2019 at 6:13 PM
    eledobleu

Member:
    Orlando, FL
    Koito Bi-LED Retrofit
    I never said I would offer a group buy in the first place. I my original post that you quoted I said that im hesitant about offering a group buy. And yes this forum is extremly sensitive. So many problems I have had over the years while trying to help out my fellow Tundra owners. But its only on this fourm not any of the other forums.

I admitted that i used the wrong statement and that it was my mistake.

And I mean carry-on with the conversation about the lights. Again, you guys take things the wrong way.

9. Aug 23, 2019 at 6:16 PM
    eledobleu

Member:
    Orlando, FL
    Koito Bi-LED Retrofit
    Yes thats true, but most of the advance LED lighting systems are for the expensive luxury manufacturers., This Audi tech is INSANE! But realistically it wont be available for the average consumer for years. So let me re-phrase my original statement.

Morimoto has the best "Aftermarket LED headlights on the market". They are better than "most" OEM manufactures.

BMW has something similar as well.

10. Aug 23, 2019 at 6:25 PM
    eledobleu

Member:
    Orlando, FL
    Koito Bi-LED Retrofit
    Im not offering or selling anything. Im only offering my knowledge on the headlights based on the info TRS gives its dealers to help others understand the product more. Something I DONT HAVE TO DO. Again, im not here to sell anything. The more I try to help others on this forum, the more people complain. I honestly dont understand. But this is one example of why I havent been on this forum and unlikely to offer a group buy on the headlights.

11. Aug 23, 2019 at 6:39 PM
    SoCalTundy

SoCalTundy Tundra Owner since 2017

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Icon Shocks. Total Chaos UCA. Deaver u748 TC shackles Flowmaster super 50. Diode Dynamics fogs. 5.29 Revolution Gears. SSW 17" wheels on BFG 35x12.5
    I thought you were a vendor if you have the ability to offer a group buy. Gotta understand bud, tundra owners are intelligent not sensitive. There are reasons why we chose these trucks over any of the other makes. Reliability, resale value, etc which is better than any other make. We expect stuff to just work like our trucks and when we add or mod something on the truck that doesn’t work as well as the truck, guaranteed you’re gonna hear some gripes. Especially if we’re dropping 1k on these puppies. For $300 you won’t hear much. Dealer forums are not going to complain because they’re not actual owners (correct me if I’m wrong). These are actual truck owners here. Anyways, we do appreciate you making the announcement on these in the beginning. Too bad they have multiple issues.

Pudge likes this.
  12. Aug 23, 2019 at 6:57 PM
    eledobleu

Member:
    Orlando, FL
    Koito Bi-LED Retrofit
    Completly understand! I think the exact same way with my Tundra. You cant expect the exact same when adding aftermarket products. Theres always issues. For me I look at warranty length and I read the warranty details before buying a product. Most people fail to do this and only see (2 year warranty yayyyyyy:bananadance:) but fail to read the policy so when its time for a warranty claim, they are denied or have to pay shipping at minimum. If its not offered by Toyota and back by the Toyota warranty, then its an aftermarket part. This was a huge issue when I offered retrofits previously. I never denied a warranty fix, most people only complained because the failed to read the warranty policy and didnt want to pay for shipping.

For example, there was a member that had a retrofit with zero issues for more than 1 year. He decided to sell his retrofit to another forum member. When this member received the lights, one of the shrouds (light covers) fell off during shipping. They contacted me about the warranty claim. I agreed to honor the claim but the buyer has to pay shipping both ways. Of course they were angry and tried to blame it on the quality of my product failing even though it was solid for over a year and only got damaged after a sell/transfer during shipping which was more likely due to improper packing of the headlights. :annoyed:

And of course its posted on the forums and everyone said im the bad guy and not to buy from me. Mainly the same specific people that seem to live on this forum.

13. Aug 23, 2019 at 8:13 PM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    I have been a member of quite a few different forums, including 2 other Toyota forums as well as some non car/truck forums. I actually find this one to be the most helpful and least caustic of all. The people are friendly and kind and seem to look out for each other. There is very little bickering and complaining. The mods here do an excellent job of policing the posts and eliminating members/vendors who cause problems. I really don't think the forum or its membership is the cause of the issue at hand.

14. Aug 23, 2019 at 8:35 PM
    eledobleu

Member:
    Orlando, FL
    Koito Bi-LED Retrofit
    I agree this is forum the best and most helpful of all other Tundra forums. And im not saying everyone complains. Its very few but its always the same people with negative comments. The new or other members that do not understand the problems of past group buys and products wont understand always believe the people who post these things. Like what you posted a few hours. You called it the same crap but failed to realize that im not offering to sell or promoting my business at this moment on the forums, I only added info on the headlights for others to understand whats going on in the back ends of them. But you assumed its the same "crap" as before. Yes I made a mistake but corrected it and posted the correct information.

Its not the forum. Its the few people that are impatient and quick to jump to conclusions. I love this forum and recommended it to thousands of people.

Again its only specific people which I know whom. Its always negative no matter what. Even when no harm is being done, only offering information that was corrected.

15. Aug 23, 2019 at 8:55 PM
    YotaMan

YotaMan Silver Bullet

Member:
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle:
    2021 Platinum
    I'd like to jump in and add a few things since these "problems" tend to be mentioned from my test headlamps of my truck:

For 1) Anyone that receives a shipment of XB lights, does not have to be worried about any water leaking into them. I received PROTOTYPE headlights that were hand sealed. They had them for a while....and I think the confusion comes in b/c I got mine 1 week before the actual first batch of them come out. They were still the PROTOTYPES, I'm just using those for testing of an OEM LED harness. These will be swapped out by TRS when they get their big shipment in.

And 2) The correct harness is in the works, it is due to be shipped to me most likely next week for testing. If you're hesitant on buying for an 18+ OEM LED truck, there will be a correct harness released in the future for them (I dont know if it will be available separate or not though)...but the lights work perfectly fine, just the warning light at night, which will be taken care of with the new harness. Thanks @thomasbus337

MotoTundra, fundratss and Pudge like this.
  16. Aug 23, 2019 at 8:57 PM
    Azblue

Azblue Beer is Good Ban Moderator

Member:
    The Dirty T
    I could care less as I'm not buying these, but as someone who has done the OEM LEDs with @iHacker 's harness I will post my opinion. The OEM lights are pretty damn good, the harness is awesome and it all works great.

Considering the problems with these lights, previous problems with a certain somebody's retrofits who is pimping these, and the fact that the OEM LEDs are cheaper, I see no reason to deal with the hassles with these.

Pudge likes this.
  17. Aug 23, 2019 at 9:02 PM
    YotaMan

YotaMan Silver Bullet

Member:
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle:
    2021 Platinum
  18. Aug 23, 2019 at 9:13 PM
    eledobleu

Member:
    Orlando, FL
    Koito Bi-LED Retrofit
    Its all personal preference! the stock OEM LED lights are pretty damn good. I only heard of a few that went bad and needed replacement by Toyota. The xb headlights do look more badass and offer more light output, but its possible some might have issues and need replacements through warranty. No product is perfect. Hell I had to replace my OEM battery in my Tundra after 1 year. Again lights are a personal preference! Some people think their worth it, others don't mainly because of the price.

BUt OEM lights are not cheap by far. But much cheaper than than the XB's. I have no comparison pics with XB;s but I did make comparison with standard and advance retrofits and the light output is a huge difference. The XB headlights would be equivalent to a Mini D2S retrofit. Iv'e sold about 1000+ harnesses for the OEM lights with about only 50 issues with harnesses which were replaced under warranty. I dont make the harness anymore, but the small percentage of errors do show that the OEM led lights are solid. Theres no doubt in my mind that Moriomoto has a solid product. Afterall they have XB headlights with over 20 makes and models and the number is growing fast with alot more new release models this year alone only with minor issues that they fixed fast and easily.

YotaMan likes this.
  19. Aug 23, 2019 at 9:30 PM
    fundratss

fundratss Send it!

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle:
    2016 Magnetic Grey Tundra TSS
    Toytec 2.5” Coilover boss suspension 3/1 lift w/camburg uca’s Morimoto xb headlights Morimoto fog Rough country grill 2 RC blacked light bars Volant air intake system Rear air bags (for towing) I’m sure there’s more but I’m lazy
    Well least it’s a 5 year warranty with the xb headlights. Too bad it doesn't have the fine print to read the stipulations on it. on either trs website or Morimoto website. I expect some small issues with new releases. But really for $1k+ it better operate like oem quality. For instance I’ve driven through Oklahoma storms with 80+ mph winds while it’s raining buckets and oem lights didn’t bat an eye for getting water in them. Also a tab not strong enough to handle shipping from the factory packaging after paying that kind of money is a legit bitch worth of notating. It’s not sensitivity at all when it’s a legit concern. I haven’t heard of the $300 spyder headlights having tabs not fit and whatnot.

When we pay a superior price expecting a superior product, only to get early release “testers” (by vender lingo) ima expect full coverage on a superior product where it simply states “warranty:5 years” with no mention of paying extra for shipping.

With that being said I don’t think Morimoto or trs would not take care of customers as they have always taken care of any concerns or issues I have had (minor and rare) with no questions asked. I’ve always presented my concerns with respect and never demanded any special treatment. But I’ve always been given that treatment regardless.

It would be nice to have more specifics on the xb headlight warranty other than “5 years” though. As with any company there’s always rules, speculations, and guidelines to follow to submit a claim.

I would like to mention that trs is updated on their website for the xb headlights. I can say as expected that trs is handling the concerns we have found and is not hiding behind anything. Compatibility has changed.

01E9111B-8527-40F3-A562-F3D05785D90A.jpg

eledobleu[OP] likes this.
  20. Aug 23, 2019 at 10:36 PM
    Alexstundra

Alexstundra Not a new member

Member:
    Northeast PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 MGM DC Trd
    3-1 level kit with add a leaf. 295/70/18r cooper max. Spider head light tail light and third brake light, tint, badges off, ladder racks, trd pro grill, color matched hood bulge, grab handle,coach builder +2, dv8 front bumper with winch, fender flares, bed cover....
    Link?

TundraTO and Inquiringone like this.
  21. Aug 23, 2019 at 10:49 PM
    Alexstundra

Alexstundra Not a new member

Member:
    Northeast PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 MGM DC Trd
    3-1 level kit with add a leaf. 295/70/18r cooper max. Spider head light tail light and third brake light, tint, badges off, ladder racks, trd pro grill, color matched hood bulge, grab handle,coach builder +2, dv8 front bumper with winch, fender flares, bed cover....
    Woah

22. Aug 23, 2019 at 11:15 PM
    SoCalTundy

SoCalTundy Tundra Owner since 2017

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Icon Shocks. Total Chaos UCA. Deaver u748 TC shackles Flowmaster super 50. Diode Dynamics fogs. 5.29 Revolution Gears. SSW 17" wheels on BFG 35x12.5
  23. Aug 24, 2019 at 7:20 AM
    belanger9

belanger9 New Member

Member:
    Edmonton, AB
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Off Road Inferno
    A bunch
    I've been looking forward to these lights ever since I saw the first pictures. But with the confusion with the harnesses and the poor communication about the readiness of the lights (I thought there was only 1 pre-production set sent out, not 50) I'll be going with OEM's. When I'm dropping over $1000 on something I want it to be perfect, and sending out pre-production lights without notifying those customers is very poor customer service IMO.

TundraTO, Hippo442 and Azblue[QUOTED] like this.
  24. Aug 24, 2019 at 8:15 AM
    fundratss

fundratss Send it!

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle:
    2016 Magnetic Grey Tundra TSS
    Toytec 2.5” Coilover boss suspension 3/1 lift w/camburg uca’s Morimoto xb headlights Morimoto fog Rough country grill 2 RC blacked light bars Volant air intake system Rear air bags (for towing) I’m sure there’s more but I’m lazy
    If ya order now (which ya can’t even order on trs) you wouldn’t get any preproduction headlights. Lol you’ll hafta wait 2-3 months to get them. So that being said you would have full production headlights that problems will be solved with (imo I’m not a rep though) I’ve been side by side with a new tundra with led headlights oem. And it’s a noticeable difference that my Morimoto headlights are brighter. Oem 1yr warranty. Morimoto 5 year. Plus I’m sure it’ll be pushed back farther now they know oem led trucks throw a code. Thank goodness I don’t have to mess with that and just need to get the cheap flasher with no drl lol

25. Aug 24, 2019 at 9:45 AM
    belanger9

belanger9 New Member

Member:
    Edmonton, AB
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Off Road Inferno
    A bunch
    The 2-3 month wait time is an issue too, I'm not removing plastic parts past mid-October cause it'll be too cold for me to be comfortable doing so. That makes the wait go into next April. I'm after the headlight upgrade for looks and the white light, I'm perfectly happy with the amount of light the halogens put out, but I much prefer the white LED light. These issues have just lost my confidence in them, maybe in 2 or 3 years I'd go to them, but I'm not waiting that long to get LED lights.

26. Aug 24, 2019 at 10:00 AM
    Azblue

Azblue Beer is Good Ban Moderator

Member:
    The Dirty T

Too cold in October?? Shit, I'm happy because by then the temps will only be in the 90s rather than 100+.

Winning8, Ynot_tonY, Pudge and 3 others like this.
  27. Aug 24, 2019 at 2:40 PM
    juanitorus

juanitorus New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    I really don't feel like reading all of this but I've had these headlights installed for several weeks and have had no issues. I really don't see why everyone is complaining.

fundratss, TRD_femi and YotaMan like this.
  28. Aug 24, 2019 at 6:33 PM
    buckrub71

buckrub71 Like Father, Like Son--Semper Fi

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Bronze 1794 CM
    I own these lights and have no reservations about my purchase. So far I'm pleased. I'm not interested in beating this horse, but just to clarify, in your original post and I quote, "These will also be available for a group buy once TRS opens up pre-ordering." Did I "read" that wrong? Rhetorical.

Luckydog, TRD_femi and Pudge like this.
  29. Aug 24, 2019 at 8:06 PM
    TXTundra2722

TXTundra2722 Pipe Hitters Union

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2015 Black Tundra
    :boink:
    :deadhorse:

30. Aug 25, 2019 at 11:45 AM
    HulkSmurf14

HulkSmurf14 ...Weighted Average...

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra Limited
    Tastefully enhanced...
    Labor day sale coming up... I'm looking forward to being another success with TRS...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Products Discussed in

To Top