1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Morimoto XB DRL question

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Tundra234, Feb 16, 2022.

1. Feb 16, 2022 at 5:44 PM
    Tundra234

Tundra234 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra DC SR5 Barcelona
    Alot of them
    So after installing the Gen 2 XB's in the wife's 2020 4Runner, when you turn the DRL switch off, the DRL on the XB's turn off. Has anyone figured out why they don't turn off on the Tundra? @Headlight Revolution, on the 4Runner, the fusetap is in IGN2 as suggested since some models randomly have had the lights power up when the vehicle is off. Is IGN2 the permanent fix for this? They did briefly power up in that slot when originally plugged in....is that normal?

2. Mar 12, 2022 at 10:52 AM
    mpj76a

mpj76a New Member

Member:
    Bump. I'm running into the same issue. 2021 that had factory halogens with bottom half LED DRL's. I want to be able to turn off DRL's using the off switch on the turn signal/light stalk. Also wondering about something else... both DRL's power up even if only one of the two headlight DRL connections is made; why would they add all that extra wiring for the passenger light? I sent a message to morimoto

Last edited: Mar 12, 2022
  3. Mar 24, 2022 at 10:49 AM
    Headlight Revolution

Headlight Revolution New Member Vendor

Member:
    Atlanta, GA
    So, its just a difference in how the two models power the DRL on the XB. The 4Runner is unique in that it actually requires both the 12v signal from the fuse tap AND the factory DRL signal on the high beam connector to power the DRL, so it responds in the same way the factory DRL would. All other models, including the Tundra, only require the 12v input from the DRL fuse tap, so they are powered anytime the igntion is on, and do not respond to factory-style DRL inputs.
    Regarding the DRL module swap on the Tundra, it is related to the factory Amber halogen DRL, yes. From the factory, the vehicle powers the turn signal as the DRL anytime the vehicle is in gear. If they don't swap out that module, the vehicle will still send voltage on the turn signal wires, causing the XB turns (amber strips) to be constantly lit, overriding the white DRL/parking light.

Hope this helps answer some of your questions!

4. Mar 24, 2022 at 12:16 PM
    Tundra234

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    Alot of them
    Ok, so there is no way to turn off the DRLs with the switch like the 4Runner does if I'm understanding correctly? The only was that I could see turning them off is by installing an in-line switch in the fusetap harness but then you disturb the warranty itself by doing that.

5. Mar 24, 2022 at 12:19 PM
    Headlight Revolution

Member:
    Atlanta, GA
    Yes you are correct, the 4Runner is the only exception when it comes to being able to use the factory DRL switch.

6. Mar 24, 2022 at 12:20 PM
    Tundra234

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    Alot of them
    Gotcha. When I called CS he said that Noone has asked about this before and then I swear I heard crickets lol.

7. Mar 24, 2022 at 12:25 PM
    Headlight Revolution

Member:
    Atlanta, GA
    :sorry: - I'll make a point to mention this in our morning huddle - we have some new members on the CS team this year. I'll make sure they'll have an answer for next time! :gossip:

8. Mar 24, 2022 at 12:31 PM
    Taco-Spike

Taco-Spike Gateway from Tacoma World ~ ended up here

Member:
    Vehicle:
    16 Tacoma TRD Sport DCSB / 17 Tundra 5.7L 4X4 CM
    Two Trucks
    Tacoma can turn off DRL with the stalk switch

9. Mar 24, 2022 at 12:34 PM
    Tundra234

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    Alot of them
    The Taco and 4R are the same platform pretty much so i can see the switch working on them as well.

Taco-Spike[QUOTED] likes this.
  10. Mar 24, 2022 at 3:04 PM
    mpj76a

mpj76a New Member

Member:
    I received zero response from morimoto. Maybe I'll try to do something with a switchpro one day.

11. Mar 24, 2022 at 3:15 PM
    16TRD

16TRD New Member

Member:
    Norcal
    Vehicle:
    2016 White crewmax
    @Headlight Revolution so how does the dlr on the gen2 xb dim if they are only plugged to the 12v ignition fuse. Is the unit programed for the drl to dim whenever you turn the headlights on?

12. Mar 24, 2022 at 4:12 PM
    mpj76a

mpj76a New Member

Member:
    @16TRD , That's what happens with mine. As soon as headlights turn on, DRL's dim to the 50% level of the parking lights.

16TRD likes this.
  13. Mar 24, 2022 at 4:36 PM
    16TRD

16TRD New Member

Member:
    Norcal
    Vehicle:
    2016 White crewmax
    Thank you, I am considering these and was wondering since iv’e never seen this aspect covered before.

14. Mar 24, 2022 at 6:36 PM
    mpj76a

mpj76a New Member

Member:
    Also, that cool startup sequence seems to only happen when you'r using the DRL fuse tap and you turn your key at least one click forward. When you click to headlights (at any time, key in or out), the headlights just turn on fully and immediately, which is probably good thing.

15. Aug 23, 2022 at 10:48 AM
    Tundra234

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    Alot of them
  16. Aug 23, 2022 at 12:31 PM
    mpj76a

mpj76a New Member

Member:
    I've since hooked mine up to a switchpro. Using it like this has led to some new/revised observations. Here's a summary:

The extra DRL wires (one from each light) basically bypass all truck DRL stalk controls if you hook them up. As soon as you turn the key on, it's DRL time.
    Only ONE wire is needed for this even though each light has one. Not sure why it's like this, but I guess the two individual lights share power through some wire somewhere once it's all hooked up to the truck's OEM wiring.
    I don't like this setup because sometimes you just want your key on w/o DRL's being on. Even with stalk in completely off mode, those DRL's would still be on with any of those extra DRL wires plugged into the fuse box.

If you DON'T hook up those extra DRL wires, the Xb's STILL activate the orange DRL's in daylight bright mode during the day with stalk set to Auto. If you turn stalk to all off, everything including DRL's turns off. At dusk or dark, you lose the ability to have daylight bright DRL by itself only w/o headlights because (probably) a photosensor somewhere in the truck determines that the white headlight LED's need to come on and the DRL surround goes into 50% mode.

By hooking up those extra DRL wires to a switchpro, you can make it so that ONLY the bright orange DRL is on in day OR night if you keep the stalk in the completely off position WITHOUT headlights coming on. At any point in this mode when you cycle the power on/off to the extra DRL wires via switchpro switch, you get the headlight startup sequence and then it just turns the headlights off and the DRL surround stays on in bright mode.

Regarding the startup sequence... I need to double check what happens when the stalk is in Auto and Off at day and night when you flip the ignition switch on vs. moving stalk from off to auto.

I don't see any way you can run the DRL's in bright mode with the headlights on. That control seems to occur inside the headlight regardless of stalk settings or switchpro wiring.

It took me forever to get all this straight. I don't park in front of a window or mirror anywhere and didn't immediately realize that when I was playing with this stuff after work it may have been on the cusp of that photosensor affecting function. Even parking in a shadier area when on that cusp can affect things.

My truck is a 2021 that had halogens w the bottom LED strip

Last edited: Aug 24, 2022
    AlrightAlrightAlright likes this.
  17. Aug 23, 2022 at 9:07 PM
    RainMan_PNW

RainMan_PNW SSEM #82 RGBA #4 “That Guy” Vendor?

Member:
    First Name:
    Casey
    Clark County, WA
    Vehicle:
    2021 Lunar Rock TRD Pro CM
    Check the build link in my signature.
    No idea what the question is.
    I've never seen anything on these lights, or how they are wired.
    The DRL circuits are different depending on if you've got a 2014-2017 with LED DRLs (Platinum and 1794 IIRC) or Halogen DRLs, or if you have a 2018-2021 with LED headlights or Halogen headlights and LED DRLs or not.

18. Aug 24, 2022 at 4:51 AM
    Tundra234

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    Alot of them
    Basically, the Tundra is a PITA when it comes to certain things like wiring circuits and TPMS. Let's take my truck for example. 2020 SR5 with halogen headlights and led strip at the bottom. They were replaced with Morimoto XB's. The Tundra will not allow you to turn off the DRLs on the Morimotos. On a 2020 4Runner with halogens, the Morimoto DRLs will turn off with the DRL off switch.

19. Aug 24, 2022 at 6:13 AM
    RainMan_PNW

Member:
    First Name:
    Casey
    Clark County, WA
    Vehicle:
    I would look at it differently:
    The Morimotos will not allow you to turn off the DRLs on the Tundra.
    The stock headlights work with the DRL switch, but it sounds like the aftermarket component didn’t build their light to respond to the way the factory wiring on the Tundra is set up.

Not meaning to sound dick-ish, but that is the exact issue I’ve had with a lot of aftermarket stuff…it misses on one or a small handful of specific functions that then makes the end user have to deal with trade offs. Sort of like the fact most aftermarket rear bumpers will not support BSM.

20. Aug 24, 2022 at 6:35 AM
    Tundra234

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    Alot of them
    It's all good. No negativity sensed at all. It makes sense. Same thing with audio equipment....you can use a Maestro RR for steering wheel controls, but you will lose the factory mic. Morimoto was of no help. We tag you and Jeff on this stuff because you guys are the smart ones when it comes to circuits and wiring diagrams. :hattip:

RainMan_PNW[QUOTED] likes this.
  21. Aug 24, 2022 at 6:59 AM
    RainMan_PNW

Member:
    First Name:
    Casey
    Clark County, WA
    Vehicle:
    Sure thing.
    Sort of like how the anytime fog light mod won’t work the same on the 2019+ trucks - it’ll basically wire the fog lights to the battery through the switch.

If I had something showing how the headlights are wired up internally, I might be able to shed some insight or ideas.

22. Aug 24, 2022 at 7:04 AM
    YotaMan

YotaMan Silver Bullet

Member:
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle:
    2021 Platinum
    Ok so I'll jump in ...

I'm not sure why ya'll can't turn off the DRLs, I can. 2018 limited and I ride like this 98% of the time. The only lights that will come on is the sequential turns when I activate them. The DRL switch "off" works as intended like OEM LEDS

I think my situation may be a tad different however.. I'm still running the gen 1 prototypes with test harness I tested from TRS a few years back as some might remember with the original thread about these headlamps. I was the one with moisture issues

So, is it something with just my test harness that allows me to turn the DRLs off with the factory selector on the stalk that they have since changed? Or did they change the wiring in the headlamps?

I've seen multiple threads about this issue but have yet to chime in.

What is the functionality when the switch is placed in the DRL off position?

@Headlight Revolution

23. Aug 24, 2022 at 8:39 AM
    mpj76a

mpj76a New Member

Member:
    I can turn off my DRL's when stalk is set to off so long as I dont hook up the extra DRL wire(s) into the fuse box. The bright/day mode DRL's still work during the day when stalk is set to auto.

When the extra DRL wire(s) are tapped into fuse box you cant turn them off when ignition is on. They get less bright when you're in auto at night, or parking only, or headlight on with the tap, but remain on in daylight bright mode regardless of outside conditions when stalk is set to off.

21' SR5, halogen with bottom LED before upgrade.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2022
  24. Oct 6, 2022 at 12:13 PM
    TheDarkside

TheDarkside New Member

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2021 Trail Edition Tundra
    Defender flares, Barricade HD Stubby Bumper, front black Bumpershellz, graphics, undercover LX tonneau cover, interior chrome delete, custom seat covers, desert eagle cat shield, JL Audio speaker/amp upgrade from Tech12volts, TRD Pro grill…
    I want the Morimoto's for my 21 Tundra SR5 but yall are making it sound like a nightmare. I am all about OEM when possible but I want the sequential turn signal along with and amber signal and white DRL LEDs. OEM doesn't have it. Alpharex seems like a no go and I have mixed info on form lighting. Anyone have a good solution without a wiring fiasco for what is supposed to be plug and play :monocle::monocle:

25. Oct 6, 2022 at 12:43 PM
    Tundra234

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    Alot of them
    Do your OEM halogens have the led DRL strip at the bottom? I have the XB's on my 2020 SR5 and it was all plug and play.

26. Oct 6, 2022 at 12:58 PM
    TheDarkside

TheDarkside New Member

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    Defender flares, Barricade HD Stubby Bumper, front black Bumpershellz, graphics, undercover LX tonneau cover, interior chrome delete, custom seat covers, desert eagle cat shield, JL Audio speaker/amp upgrade from Tech12volts, TRD Pro grill…
    Yes they do....why I thought there wouldn't be an issue but wow at the comments!

27. Oct 6, 2022 at 1:09 PM
    Tundra234

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    Alot of them
    Ok...I'll clarify since I started this particular post. We have my truck and a 2020 4Runner, both with XB's. On the 4R, you still have the option to turn the XB DRLs off just like factory. I was trying to do the same thing with the Tundra. However, the 2 vehicles have completely different circuits. For what you want which is white DRL with amber sequential signals, you will not have any issues and they will be a plug and play install.

28. Oct 6, 2022 at 1:16 PM
    TheDarkside

TheDarkside New Member

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    Awesome information! You are much appreciated!

Tundra234[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  29. Oct 6, 2022 at 1:20 PM
    Tundra234

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    Alot of them
    No problem at all. If you are thinking of buying a set, PM @memario1214 at HotShot Offroad. He can often get you a better price compared to other sources. He is our go to lighting guy. Also, feel free to PM me if you have any questions at all. I have done quite a bit to my truck as you can probably tell. :D

TheDarkside[QUOTED] likes this.
  30. Oct 11, 2022 at 2:25 PM
    AlrightAlrightAlright

AlrightAlrightAlright New Member

Member:
    Northwest Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2020 SSM DC 4x4 with SR5 Upgrade Package
    RetraxONE MX retractable bed cover TRD Rear sway bar Debadged FabFours Matrix front bumper Smittybilt 9,500# XRC winch Aries 30" light bar (internal bumper mount) Diode Dynamics SS3 3" SAE Fog and Driving lights ConsoleVault RhinoRack crossbars
    Thanks @mpj76a - this is what I was wanting to do with my SwitchPro!

Products Discussed in

To Top