1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Mice Activity Inside Truck

Discussion in 'General Tundra Discussion' started by frostymitten, Dec 31, 2022.

1. Dec 31, 2022 at 9:58 AM
    frostymitten

frostymitten [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra TRD Off-road
    Hey all,

I have a 2017 Tundra. It has about 80k miles on it and is in really good shape. We just moved into a new house a few months ago which we are renovating so our garage is full and we have to park our vehicles outside. I suddenly noticed mouse droppings in various areas of my truck and torn up receipts. I spent about 6 hours cleaning and sanitizing everything… so disgustingly frustrating. My cabin air filter was torn up and covered with droppings. After I finished cleaning, I set a live trap (in hopes that I could catch multiple at one time) but have had no luck. Today (about one week after cleaning) I found more torn up receipts, droppings, and my new cabin air filter is once again covered with droppings. I’m beyond pissed and going to cover the inside of the truck with traps.

my question to you all is: where the hell do you think they could be getting in? I’ve looked over the firewall and don’t see any evidence around the wire penetrations so I was thinking they’re getting in through the fresh air intake that leads to the cabin air filter. However, I don’t know exactly where that is or what to do at this point. Im afraid that there’s a lot more droppings in areas that aren’t visible and I’m terrified of them chewing on wire.

Thank you in advance for any feedback you all might have.

2. Dec 31, 2022 at 10:06 AM
    TILLY

TILLY Gently Used Member

Member:
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    2019 MGM TRD Sport D/C
    The mice get in through holes in the firewall underneath the plastic cowling. The only way to keep them out is to remove the cowling and cover the holes with some wire mesh. Lots of great threads here to guide you through the process if you use the search function. Good luck.

Wallygator, 2mchfun, Bob and 2 others like this.
  3. Dec 31, 2022 at 10:07 AM
    ColoradoTJ

ColoradoTJ Certified tow LEO Staff Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
    This. The people that do this have great success.

Next thing to worry about is under the engine bay.

2mchfun, Bob and GODZILLA like this.
  4. Dec 31, 2022 at 10:17 AM
    CTundraForMe

CTundraForMe New Member

Member:
    I use an abundance of kill traps with peanut butter. They really like peanut butter!

I also have 3 ferocious felines.

Like you I moved to a new house a few months ago. There WERE serious rodent issues here. In one day alone I caught 27 mice in our garage.

It's not the time to be "nice" with live traps, unless you really feel like driving them a mile away after you catch them. Otherwise they will just come back and ruin more of your stuff.

5. Dec 31, 2022 at 10:29 AM
    Bob

Bob Member Staff Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma PreRunner Black
    ColoradoTJ likes this.
  6. Dec 31, 2022 at 10:35 AM
    ColoradoTJ

ColoradoTJ Certified tow LEO Staff Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
    Cats have been a life saver for us.

7. Dec 31, 2022 at 10:36 AM
    2mchfun

2mchfun Yeah it'll pull it, just don't expect to stop!

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    2021 White 4x4 CM Trail Ed. 2018 White 4x4 4Runner SR5 Premium
    Seat covers, dash mat, ext. Trans. Cooler, sumo springs, oem pwr fld tow mirrors
    There is a thread on this forum about a man that nearly died from an infection caused by mice in the vents of his truck. Unfortunately I think you are going to be filing an insurance claim to have the entire dash and vents all pulled apart and sterilized. Search for the thread with the search box. It's titled something like "The mice that nearly killed me". Dude was literally hospitalized for a while. Be safe and get it handled.

Sumo91 and Wallygator like this.
  8. Dec 31, 2022 at 10:39 AM
    2mchfun

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    Seat covers, dash mat, ext. Trans. Cooler, sumo springs, oem pwr fld tow mirrors
    Fwiw, I use pine-sol soaked rags, pink Dove soap, peppermint oil, and dryer sheets in my engine bays, plus a few chlorine pool tabs on the concrete underneath to keep the damn mice away. So far, so good. Yes, I also screened the air intake with 1/4" hardware cloth before anything got in.

Wallygator likes this.
  9. Dec 31, 2022 at 10:44 AM
    2mchfun

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
  10. Dec 31, 2022 at 11:05 AM
    TILLY

TILLY Gently Used Member

Member:
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    2019 MGM TRD Sport D/C
    On a side note, don't forget to cover the hole on the drivers side behind the wiper motor. Its hard to see and I missed it the first time around.

IMG_1654.jpg

2mchfun likes this.
  11. Dec 31, 2022 at 11:13 AM
    JCBerb

JCBerb Semper Fi

Member:
    First Name:
    Joel
    Vehicle:
    2017 CM LImited
    C4 Overland bumper, BD SAE fogs, Leitner Designs Rack, Rago Bed Channel Stiffiners, Warn Xeon 12S Plarinum, Bedslide, Front Runner Roof Rack, roof rack solar panels, RCI Full under carriage aluminum studs, RCI rear diff skid, Rago dash plate, Rago accessory panels, OEM LED headlights with wiring harness.
    Had a group of 5 move into my last house before we had cats. I tried a large bowl half full with peanut oil and a glob of peanut butter at the bottom. Once they are in they cannot get out, got them all in one night.

clarkritchie and 2mchfun like this.
  12. Dec 31, 2022 at 11:32 AM
    2mchfun

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    Sort of curious about the 3rd gen, was this issue addressed in the new design???

Products Discussed in

To Top