1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Math Homework

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by JRTundra, Oct 22, 2018.

1. Oct 25, 2018 at 2:35 AM
    4x4_Angel

4x4_Angel Perfectly Imperfect Tomboy....TTC #132

Member:
    First Name:
    Bree
    Funky Town, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 CM Silver Sky
    ToyTec BOSS Lift, FRAC, 18" Fuel Pump wheels, Nitto Ridge Grapplers
    In the school district my kids are in They have access to computers, ipads, and high school gets laptops to take home do due homework and such on. I don't know how locked down they are but they definitely need to have locks on them.

2. Oct 25, 2018 at 5:26 AM
    JRTundra

JRTundra [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 Crewmax 4x4
    I just wanted to commend the tundras.com community for participating in an excellent discussion on this topic. As the OP I was not expecting this type of response. I really just posted to let off some steam. It is great to debate / discuss without it going off the rails (tip of the cap to @ColoradoTJ). Thank you, everyone!!

:cheers:

3. Oct 25, 2018 at 7:04 AM
    chphilo

chphilo Tundra addict

Member:
    Western PA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Toyota Tundra TRD 5.7 4x4 CM
    My sympathy lies with teachers. Common Core was mandated from the top (Common Core was largely initiated by Governor's association and their organization holds the copyright for the standard, as far as I know). It is not initiated by mathematicians.

Mathematicians are known for making their notation and method logically efficient. All choices of notations, methods, etc., have been carefully thought out, developed and tested over centuries. (notational change in calculus (Newton vs Leibniz) makes an interesting read for those who might be interested) Making pictures/diagrams so some people can understand has been done for ages by mathematics teachers. But this has to be used in addition to the traditional method. I can't even begin to 'picture' what Common Core will do with differential equation or abstract algebra. Oh yea, they have will have to learn the old method when they get to college.

I have met with local teachers with issue of Common Core. I have not come across a single math teacher who actually liked it. They were forced to teach it. They agreed with my objections and made it possible for my children to do the work in traditional ways. Kudos to them.

4. Oct 25, 2018 at 7:24 AM
    mtntop

mtntop New Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2004 4x4 Access Cab SR5
    Angel I feel for ya, my sister is dislexic and was not diagnosed until she was a junior in high school. She really struggled through school. Once she was diagnosed the school worked with her to teach her a different way of learning and this helped.

5. Oct 25, 2018 at 11:20 AM
    4x4_Angel

Member:
    First Name:
    Bree
    Funky Town, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 CM Silver Sky
    My kid does tutoring at school....I can't afford to pay....but it does help

trdprobped17 likes this.
  6. Oct 25, 2018 at 3:44 PM
    BuilderBee

BuilderBee New Member

Member:
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra Double Cab TRD SR5
    BakFlip MX4 Tonneau Cover Stubby Antenna Husky Floor Liners
    Once they added the alphabet to math problems I gave up.... calculator is the best way and if that fails just round it up to the next best answer...... :rofl::rofl::frusty:

7. Oct 25, 2018 at 7:05 PM
    Thee_Oddball

Thee_Oddball New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Chicago
    Vehicle:
    2013 Double cab 4x4 5.7L, 78,000 miles, Nautical blue.
    it has been 7 years since I read the paper but I think one of the qualifiers was that all participants be products of the American education system from 1st grade on.

8. Oct 25, 2018 at 7:11 PM
    Thee_Oddball

Thee_Oddball New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Chicago
    Vehicle:
    Don't worry gentlemen technology will save our children....:eek2::eek::D:oldglory:

trdprobped17 and 4x4_Angel like this.
  9. Oct 25, 2018 at 9:09 PM
    trdprobped17

trdprobped17 New Member

Member:
    I see. I wonder what the data would show today. A lot can happen in 7 years. We know that the U.S., is still struggling in education. So, I did a little bit of digging around and found this article which claims that the U.S., is still at 38th out of 71 countries in the world for education.

https://amp.businessinsider.com/us-ranks-27th-for-healthcare-and-education-2018-9

10. Oct 26, 2018 at 6:32 AM
    4x4_Angel

Member:
    First Name:
    Bree
    Funky Town, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 CM Silver Sky
    very sad....we need to fix this

trdprobped17[QUOTED] likes this.
  11. Oct 26, 2018 at 7:25 AM
    Trooper2

Trooper2 Premium Lone Star Member / SSEM #13

Member:
    First Name:
    JR
    Houston, TX (Suburban South)
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tundra 5.7 L Double Cab TRD 2WD
    TSS 20's with Cooper ATP ll's, N Fab 3 Step Nerf Bars,, Pioneer AVIC-8100NEX, Masters Tailgate Replacement Latch with Camera, 1" Maxtrac Shackles, LED Interiors/Brake/Reverse/Cargo/Fog Bulbs, Fumoto Drain Valve, Toyota Aluminium Oil Filter Housing, TRD Shift Knob, Courtesy Door Projector LEDs with Toyota Emblem, Console Tray and Lower Divider.
    I would not take that article as hard fact. I am not trying to be political but that publisher leans left. In articles like this, Left leaning publishers seem to favor other countries they agree with politically. And when they couple the article with Healthcare, it seems they have an agenda. The bottom half of the rankings? Really!

I would think the U.S. ranks much higher than 38th in education; I would think top 20 if not top 10.

This article has the U.S. at 14 of 40. https://www.master-and-more.eu/en/top-40-education-systems-in-the-world/

This link has us at #2. https://www.usnews.com/news/best-countries/education-full-list

12. Oct 26, 2018 at 6:37 PM
    trdprobped17

trdprobped17 New Member

Member:
    I totally agree!

4x4_Angel[QUOTED] likes this.
  13. Oct 26, 2018 at 6:54 PM
    trdprobped17

trdprobped17 New Member

Member:

You do have a point. I am more in favor of the U.S. News & World Report findings, than the others listed earlier. However, the U.S. is definitely not number 2. Here is the link to the US Department of Education, that shows some vital statistics on the state of our education compared to the rest of the world.

https://nces.ed.gov/programs/coe/indicator_cac.asp

Figure 3. Percentage of the population who had completed high school in Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD) countries, by selected age groups: 2016

[​IMG][​IMG]

4x4_Angel and ColoradoTJ like this.
  14. Oct 27, 2018 at 5:42 AM
    MT Madman

MT Madman Just an ordinary guy

Member:
    Hawk Point MO
    Vehicle:
    2020 Silver Platinum
    TRD dual exhaust TRD Rear Sway Bar SnugTop Hi-Liner
    All I can say is I'm glad my youngest is 32 and it's her's and my son-in-law's problem with my grandson. Good thing my son-in-law is a wiz at math and most other things, I think the rest will come with age. ;)

15. Oct 27, 2018 at 6:03 AM
    Trooper2

Member:
    First Name:
    JR
    Vehicle:
    TSS 20's with Cooper ATP ll's, N Fab 3 Step Nerf Bars,, Pioneer AVIC-8100NEX, Masters Tailgate Replacement Latch with Camera, 1" Maxtrac Shackles, LED Interiors/Brake/Reverse/Cargo/Fog Bulbs, Fumoto Drain Valve, Toyota Aluminium Oil Filter Housing, TRD Shift Knob, Courtesy Door Projector LEDs with Toyota Emblem, Console Tray and Lower Divider.
    Yea, don't know what to make of that chart.

trdprobped17 likes this.
  16. Oct 27, 2018 at 8:00 AM
    Hondoman

Hondoman New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Dfw Texas
    Vehicle:
    2015 SR5 CM 4x4
    I'm old school. Most of it looks like a waste of time, pencil lead and paper to me.

4x4_Angel and trdprobped17 like this.
  17. Oct 27, 2018 at 9:58 AM
    JRTundra

JRTundra [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 Crewmax 4x4
    One of the things that's rarely discussed, and for obvious reasons, is the strain that being such an open and welcoming country (immigration) puts on our country, from social services to education. Add this to our own very real problems related to the existing U.S. population and the issues become exponentially worse.

A local example: Indianapolis has had a huge influx of Burmese refugees resettled here over the last decade. They seem to be decent and hard working people and I generally have no problem with them being here, BUT they have put an enormous strain on our townships in the short term. Test scores in the area have plummeted (primarily because they speak / read very little English) and the school systems have had to hire a ton of new staff and update resources to accommodate them. We use property taxes to fund our schools here and they have gone up accordingly.

In contrast, most of the top countries in education consist of fairly native and homogeneous populations and allow very little immigration (not saying this is the right way to go but stating fact). Japan, China and Russia are very closed off societies that make it very difficult for foreigners to resettle there on a permanent basis. They don't have to deal with many of the issues that the U.S. continually faces.

I'm not all that smart and with all of the variables in play, I can't even begin to tell you what the solutions are. However, the trends we are seeing need to be reversed as quickly as possible if we want to remain a prosperous and free nation.

18. Oct 27, 2018 at 11:25 AM
    aRabidLunatic

aRabidLunatic Professional Hobo

Member:
    Central Texas
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra SR5 Black
    Wouldn't that argue hold for either side? That's how
    But hasn't the US being like since day one? A post above stated that education levels starting dropping a while back. The way they teach math now is definitely different than what I learned. I'm not sure what the solution is either but I dont think putting up walls or cutting off immigrants is a solution. I wonder what the stats would be if you took out immigrants kids. I dont have a source for this but from first hand experience immigrants parents put a lot emphasis on their kids getting a good education. I know my did.

trdprobped17 likes this.
  19. Oct 27, 2018 at 12:10 PM
    Devcom

Devcom Miles per Gallon? More like Smiles per Gallon!!

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Blazing Blue Tundra Double Cab SR5 5.7L 4x4
    With basic math like adding and subtracting it seems in the business world the old systems wills till reign supreme. I am a driver for a couple of dealers part time and they have teenagers who have summer jobs or afternoon jobs after school. I have noticed on several occasions that they are taking the time to teach these kids the old ways and when I asked why they said the new way they are teaching these kids takes too much time and time is money. My wife works at a College and the accounting office with their interns are being taught the old ways as well which I actually found surprising and she said they did not approve of the new ways just takes too much time. I would think most would use a calculator or something but what do I know lol

Last edited: Oct 27, 2018
    trdprobped17 likes this.
  20. Oct 27, 2018 at 12:13 PM
    Trooper2

Member:
    First Name:
    JR
    Vehicle:
    Yes articles can be biased either way. I just pointed out that which way this one leaned, a standard for this one. I am not sure how to argue this one both ways.

I didn't hear anything about walls......

trdprobped17 likes this.
  21. Oct 27, 2018 at 1:37 PM
    aRabidLunatic

Member:
    Central Texas
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra SR5 Black
    Symbolic walls. Same issue happening in some countries in Europe. It'll be interesting how it impacts education in the end. I do agree that we as a nation need to improve education overall or we will keep falling behind.

trdprobped17 likes this.
  22. Oct 27, 2018 at 2:26 PM
    JRTundra

JRTundra [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 Crewmax 4x4
    Yes and no. America has had several large waves of immigration throughout its history. My family's ancestors came over in the late 1800s and early 1900s from Italy. These waves were generally followed by pauses or slow downs in immigration to allow for a period of assimilation. The most recent such period of restricted immigration occurred between the 1920s and lasted up through the 1960s. We have not had such a period since. For countries, language is an important unifier.

I don't doubt that immigrant families care about education. My only point was that when looking at international education rankings, America has a lot more variables to deal with than the other nations ranked ahead of us. Learning in a country that doesn't use your first language is not an easy task and comes at a cost to the host country. I am not making judgments or casting aspersions. I'm just bringing it up as something to think about.

23. Oct 27, 2018 at 2:52 PM
    aRabidLunatic

Member:
    Central Texas
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra SR5 Black
    My son goes to a school that focuses a bit more on engineering, the math he does blows my mind (easy since I suck at math). I think schools should make a bigger push to teach higher math and sciences at an earlier level. Also push those kids to get into corresponding careers.

trdprobped17 and JRTundra[OP] like this.
  24. Oct 27, 2018 at 4:08 PM
    trdprobped17

trdprobped17 New Member

Member:
    True. I found the information on the US Department of Education’s website, so I figured that it would be legit. It lists only countries in what it calls OECD organization. Don’t know what it is, but, I guess that it’s like an organization like the World Trade Organization (WTO).

NewImprovedRon likes this.
  25. Oct 27, 2018 at 4:22 PM
    aRabidLunatic

Member:
    Central Texas
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra SR5 Black
    Probably countries that have programs that can be used to measure education.

26. Oct 27, 2018 at 6:21 PM
    Thee_Oddball

Thee_Oddball New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Chicago
    Vehicle:
    You are correct for the most part but you have to understand what has happened in this country in terms of illegal immigration and switching from a skilled based policy, (Hart-Cellar act of 1965).
    The whole subject is multi-faceted and complex but the short version is this "immigration serves to benefit the county not the immigrant."
    If America is to remain competitive we must produce the best and brightest and immigrate the same. 2 gentlemen co-authored a paper in 1994, one was from MIT and the other from Harvard, one of the things they predicted was that "the jobs of the future will belong to the highly trained and the cognitively gifted".
    There is a book that came out in 1986 called " the closing of the American mind", basically there has been a general education devolution since the 60's combined with the aforementioned immigration policy change and where we are now :(

JRTundra[OP] and trdprobped17 like this.
  27. Oct 27, 2018 at 6:29 PM
    trdprobped17

trdprobped17 New Member

Member:
    This article from CNBC ties in with the one that I posted earlier from the Dept of Ed/OECD.

Here are the 10 most educated countries:

View interactive content

10. Luxembourg
    42.86 percent

9. Norway
    43.02 percent

8. Finland
    43.60 percent

7. Australia
    43.74 percent

6. United States
    45.67 percent

[​IMG]
    Joe Daniel Price | Getty Images
    Oxford University

5. United Kingdom
    45.96 percent

4. Korea
    46.86 percent

3. Israel
    49.90 percent

2. Japan
    50.50 percent

1. Canada
    56.27 percent

[​IMG]
    Canada tops the list as the most educated country in the world. According to the OECD over 56 percent of adults in the Great White North have earned some kind of education after high school.

During the 2016 World Economic Forum in Davos, Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau suggested that Canadians' education was the nation's greatest resource.

NewImprovedRon likes this.
  28. Oct 27, 2018 at 7:07 PM
    aRabidLunatic

Member:
    Central Texas
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra SR5 Black
    The population for Luxemburg is 590,667. Not sure if that really helps. If you take a small town in the US of half a million people and half of them graduated high school they would have 50% high school graduation rate.

29. Oct 27, 2018 at 8:49 PM
    trdprobped17

trdprobped17 New Member

Member:
    :)

Products Discussed in

To Top