1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Market, Energy, and Inflation posture (Not Political).

Discussion in 'Stocks, Investments & Finances' started by Tierhog, Jan 19, 2021.

1. Jan 30, 2021 at 5:27 PM
    Ckatz53

Ckatz53 Newish

Member:
    MD
    Vehicle:
    2020 Cement Tundra CM Limited 4x4
    www.fouroneodetailing.com
    $GME. Now.

Edit: I am not a financial advisor nor is this sound financial advice.

FirstGenVol, 300BLK, speckmon and 3 others like this.
  2. Jan 30, 2021 at 5:35 PM
    Bakershack

Bakershack Critical of Noncritical Thinkers

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelly
    Spanish Fort, AL
    Vehicle:
    2020 SSM 1794 4x4
    Open a Blockfi account. Put $500 in BTC and $500 in ETH and leave it there. I really don't think anything will beat those two in the long term without adding significant risk.

BTW, I'm not a financial advisor either, but that is exactly what I would do. BTC will likely hit $100k within the next 12-24 months, and could hit multiple 100k in a few years.

Kung and gupster88[QUOTED] like this.
  3. Jan 30, 2021 at 5:43 PM
    BobsYourUncle

BobsYourUncle New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 Super White Tundra TRD Pro
    He said his wife gave him... not his wife's boyfriend.... LOL. (Sorry - think that's how they do that in WSB? Just been reading there a few days now...)

4. Jan 30, 2021 at 5:48 PM
    Ckatz53

Ckatz53 Newish

Member:
    MD
    Vehicle:
    2020 Cement Tundra CM Limited 4x4
    www.fouroneodetailing.com
    Very good my smooth brain apefriend. Diamond hands strong.

5. Jan 30, 2021 at 5:52 PM
    BobsYourUncle

BobsYourUncle New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Ok, on a more serious note... what kind of goals do you have? I am also not a financial advisor, and this is not financial advice. Oh, and I'd say that free advice is pretty much worth what you pay for in most instances, so be careful and do some research / due diligence before jumping in.

Many facets to consider. How risk adverse are you? Are you ok if you lose it all tomorrow, or would you miss a house payment if you lost it all tomorrow (probably somewhere in between, but you get the point).

For example, if you are looking for longer term... there is growth as well as dividends to consider. If you are more conservative, you can find a good dividend stock that may not be exciting, but has slow/steady growth along with a dividend return. If you are a bit less conservative, you can look at some of the tech stocks (Apple, Microsoft, etc...) that have growth potential and lower dividends.

If you can lose it all tomorrow, and want to have fun, then GME may be an exciting ride.... Heh. But yeah, just expect that you will lose it all, and be excited if you don't if you go that route.

Edit: Ohm -> Oh

6. Jan 30, 2021 at 5:53 PM
    BobsYourUncle

BobsYourUncle New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Heh... I did buy one share just for giggles. It has pretty much paid off in entertainment this week watching the trends and the swings. Diamond hands so far!

7. Jan 30, 2021 at 6:32 PM
    gupster88

gupster88 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Charleston, WV
    Vehicle:
    2019 Toyota Tundra SR5 TRD Off-Road
    So I know there’s not many “professionals” on here. I’m not looking to hold anyone accountable. I’m just curious what the guys like me are investing in.

I’m 32, and have plenty in savings and debts being paid off ahead of schedule. This $1,000 if lost tomorrow would not effect our weekly, monthly, or annual budget at all. I play my 401k pretty aggressively and it has paid off. I understand there’s highs and lows.

Ultimately I want some investments that I can say wow I’m glad I invested in that then 10,15, 20 years from now. I kind of plan on having 2 portfolios per se. one is a my long term investments while the other is one I kinda play with. Take more risks and gambles.

if I can prove to my wife that this is a solid plan, I hope to be investing extra money monthly into my portfolios.

8. Jan 30, 2021 at 6:35 PM
    jwatt

jwatt I heart men

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    Salsa Red 2007 Tundra DC @91k.
    7" BDS Coilover Suspension Lift/BDS UCAs/XB LED Headlights/Nitto trail Grappler tires on Black Rhyno Armory wheels
    Not sure if it s been discussed in this thread, but can someone/anyone describe, in easy to understand terms so dummy like me can understand, this gamestop thing that s been going on the last week? I listen to it on the news a dozen times, and still don t get it.

Cpl_Punishment likes this.
  9. Jan 30, 2021 at 6:59 PM
    BobsYourUncle

BobsYourUncle New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Well, I tend to buy high, sell low when I micromanage my portfolio, so I took a slightly different approach.

My 401K is in one of those "age appropriate" funds (many companies are different, but mine had a "XX years to retire" kind of setup that tried to manage appropriate risk for where you are in your life). That seems to work fairly well and doesn't require me futzing with it. I did cheat and say I had 30 years left to retire when I have a bit less than that, but as I get closer, I'll move it to the appropriate bucket to start minimizing the risks as retirement closes in.

My personal portfolio is again, something I try not to touch so much. And as stated, I am not a financial advisor, and this is just me playing around and in no way should be construed as financial advice.

My goal is to build a portfolio of stocks with decent dividends, with the end goal of building a nice annual cash flow for retirement times. So I invest in stuff like ATT, Verizon, Microsoft, CAT, etc... Microsoft has grown quite a bit, so their dividends don't look so great. I was investing in Ford as well, but when they started having issues and dropped their dividend, I moved them to a holding pattern and am not acquiring shares any more, even though they have rose lately. BP was one of my "turkeys" that was good for a while, but is kind of stinky now with little positive news at the moment. I haven't lost a ton on them, so they stay for now. CAT and MSFT seem a bit high right now, so I am not putting money into those at the moment.

So for me? My stocks aren't very exciting at all. But I honestly don't have time to move in and out of positions on a frequent basis.

10. Jan 30, 2021 at 8:50 PM
    MTRock

MTRock 1889

Member:
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    2013 Rock Warrior DC
    DC rear fold down seats, decals removed, blacked out badges, complete stereo, ceramic coating, ToyTec Boss 3/1.5, RidgeGrappler 305/70r17, blacked out rock rings and center caps, smoked tail lights, BAMUFFLER Alpharex Pro headlights, TRD PRO Sequoia Grille, DAPtune
    If I had a spare 1k this is where it would go! Been good so far!
    $500 NIO
    $500 HYSR

Good rule of thumb is buy what you use and know? A year or 2 from now we will know who was right? But honestly not really why..it’s mostly educated guesswork!

Last edited: Jan 30, 2021
  11. Jan 30, 2021 at 8:54 PM
    MTRock

MTRock 1889

Member:
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    2013 Rock Warrior DC
    DC rear fold down seats, decals removed, blacked out badges, complete stereo, ceramic coating, ToyTec Boss 3/1.5, RidgeGrappler 305/70r17, blacked out rock rings and center caps, smoked tail lights, BAMUFFLER Alpharex Pro headlights, TRD PRO Sequoia Grille, DAPtune
    10+ years before retiring stay aggressive!
    5 years out..80%
    4 years 60%
    3 years 40%
    2 years 20%
    1 year stay in cash or very conservative!
    Retire.. Feel free to be aggressive with xtra $$$

12. Jan 30, 2021 at 11:12 PM
    GIN•OKUMA

GIN•OKUMA Can’t get to SSEM from there. RGBA1

Member:
    First Name:
    Fish
    26.57°
    Vehicle:
    Noun; a machine, usually with wheels and an engine, used for transporting people or goods, especially on land
    There are people that bet against stocks or “short” the stock. They basically get a loan on them at the current rate they are selling for. Say $15. They get a “loan” for hundreds of thosands of them at that price plus fees. Their hope is that stock goes down and then they sell the stock for say $10 and get paid the $5 on every stock they got the “loan” on.
    In the last year lots of these hedge funds have been betting against all the companies that are failing due to the current environment. (Mostly retail) They are taking advantage of companies failing. What happened with gamestop is that someone noticed these big investors taking advantage of GameStops stocks falling and the business failing. There is some nostalgia around GameStop for gamers and techies.
    They came up with an idea to start buying the stocks and used social media (Reddit mostly) to spread the word to buy this stock. Most people are using Robinhood to do this. Robinhood is an app broker (someone who helps people buy and sell stocks through an app) their mission was to help average people buy and trade stocks, mostly retail stock.
    Fast forward... GameStop gained enough momentum that the hedge funds that had the “short” betting that gamestop would go down were put in a position to either keep paying the fees on the short (paying the loan at high intrest rates) and hoping the stock goes back down to get out of the “loan” or forced to buy the stock at the inflated price the Reddit group caused.
    These companies had some influence at Robinhood and somehow got them to shut down buying options for GameStop stock and made it so people could only sale it. This seems to have been done to get the stocks to drop enough so they (hedge funds) could get out of the short without loosing billions of dollars.

If they got the “loan” on 200,000 stocks at $15 and the price of the stock went up to $300 instead of paying the original loan off at $3million plus interest they would have to buy the 200,000 stocks at $300 each or $60 million. They would loose $57 million dollars plus interest. The broker or loaner would get their $3million back plus interest.
    So now there is a movement that when enough small investors get together they can cause the market to move the same way these big investors can.
    I don’t know if that makes any more since.

MS22 and Ckatz53 like this.
  13. Jan 30, 2021 at 11:40 PM
    jwatt

jwatt I heart men

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    7" BDS Coilover Suspension Lift/BDS UCAs/XB LED Headlights/Nitto trail Grappler tires on Black Rhyno Armory wheels
    As long as the downgrade of $10.00 per share paid off a loan of $15.00 per share, sure, but it doesn t seem like it would.

14. Jan 30, 2021 at 11:56 PM
    GIN•OKUMA

GIN•OKUMA Can’t get to SSEM from there. RGBA1

Member:
    First Name:
    Fish
    26.57°
    Vehicle:
    Noun; a machine, usually with wheels and an engine, used for transporting people or goods, especially on land
    I was trying to draw with crayons. If you would like to explain it better with crayola explanations of downgrading and how loans and interest works. :popcorn:

15. Jan 31, 2021 at 12:07 AM
    jwatt

jwatt I heart men

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    No problem. Thx for explanation.:redxfall:

16. Jan 31, 2021 at 6:25 AM
    Squeaky

Squeaky New Member

Member:
    Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    ‘19 White TRD Pro
    Are you suggesting that when you’re 1 year away from retirement, you should be 100% in cash and live there for the next 25 yrs?

17. Jan 31, 2021 at 6:50 AM
    Bakershack

Bakershack Critical of Noncritical Thinkers

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelly
    Spanish Fort, AL
    Vehicle:
    2020 SSM 1794 4x4
    If you go into retirement without any form of passive income, you'd better have at least 2-3x what you thought you needed for retirement. That passive income can come from dividends, rental real estate, other business investments, etc. If you are retired military, government, or on a pension, that counts. But a pension can be taken away if the company goes under.

Cpl_Punishment likes this.
  18. Jan 31, 2021 at 7:27 AM
    Cpl_Punishment

Cpl_Punishment Young men never die.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rosy
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM SR5 CM 4X4
    Boost Auto mirrors, RSB, Leer Legend canopy, Line-X bed liner
    I would say not. But you'll want to be in fairly conservative investments so the money you're going to live on month to month doesn't disappear if the market drops.

19. Jan 31, 2021 at 8:59 AM
    Tierhog

Tierhog [OP] SIG-AHOLIC

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra Crewmax Limited 4WD
    Mostly stock/TRD accessories/Morimoto XBs
    This is good stuff. Lots of different trails. The younger folks do like those cryptos. Retired and pensioned I converted a 457 to a Roth and and IRA, with a backup brokerage acct. I pursue dividends that primarily pay monthly or quarterly, have high returns and low cost. I watch volume and betas and reinvest the dividends. It's quite lucrative. I simply don't have the time to make up a catastrophic loss, and this type of investing requires capital at or above 100k to really generate wealth. Just my .02

20. Jan 31, 2021 at 10:34 AM
    FirstGenVol

FirstGenVol Brake Czar

Member:
    East TN
    Vehicle:
    2002 AC
    The autists at Wall Street Bets are swearing that the real squeeze for GME hasn't happened yet. They think the price could soar. Does anyone here agree?

I'm tempted to buy in Monday but I feel like I missed the chance to buy last week.

Hbjeff likes this.
  21. Jan 31, 2021 at 10:58 AM
    Hbjeff

Hbjeff New Member

Member:
    Huntington Beach
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC 5.7 2wd
    Trd sways, bullydog, magnaflow, sumo springs
    I want to buy a share just to join them!

reddit rebels are hitting silver now!

22. Jan 31, 2021 at 11:11 AM
    FirstGenVol

FirstGenVol Brake Czar

Member:
    East TN
    Vehicle:
    2002 AC
    MS22 likes this.
  23. Jan 31, 2021 at 11:32 AM
    Hbjeff

Hbjeff New Member

Member:
    Huntington Beach
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC 5.7 2wd
    Trd sways, bullydog, magnaflow, sumo springs
    Ahhh the empire is maybe striking back

MS22 likes this.
  24. Jan 31, 2021 at 11:38 AM
    BobsYourUncle

BobsYourUncle New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I never understood how investing in SLV would "squeeze" the price of silver though... I would think you'd have to be buying physical quantities... but my brain may not be smooth enough yet.

25. Jan 31, 2021 at 5:55 PM
    Jernik

Jernik New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM Tundra Crewmax
    I interpret it as Joe borrows shares of Gamestop stock from Bob, with the promise to return the stock in "x" many days (let's use 7 days for this example). The idea Joe has is that he will cash out the stock at the current price (let's say 5 shares borrowed are worth $25) , and buy back in when the price drops - in time to give Bob back his 5 shares of stock. The trick is that Joe buys back those 5 shares for $15 - and he pockets the $10 he made on the deal (the difference between what he sold Bob's stock for less what he spent to buy them back before the 7 days were up).

Well, Jeff and his buddies don't like Joe and think he's a slimeball for making money this way. They find out when he borrowed Bob's shares, and jumped in buying up the stock while chortling about it online - getting others to hate Joe and buy in to drive the price up even more. 7 days passes and Bob wants his stock back or he's gonna bust some kneecaps. But the stock will now cost Joe $100 to buy it back, or he can pay high interest payments to Joe until the stock is returned. Either way, Jeff and his buddies have effectively screwed Joe.

I think that's basically what is going on, only with Joe being out Billions of $$ instead of the chump change I used in the example.

[​IMG]

26. Jan 31, 2021 at 6:21 PM
    jwatt

jwatt I heart men

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    Poppycock. All I need is my Tundra:burp:

27. Jan 31, 2021 at 7:10 PM
    jwatt

jwatt I heart men

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    So were the redit folks joe or bob?

28. Jan 31, 2021 at 8:01 PM
    Jernik

Jernik New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM Tundra Crewmax
    They were Jeff and his buddies. They aren't concerned with Bob, but they really don't like Joe and how he goes about profiting from share prices going lower.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2021
  29. Jan 31, 2021 at 8:19 PM
    Zero One Actual

Zero One Actual Member among Members

Member:
    #silversqueeze. 04:42 GMT 1 Feb. God Speed.

30. Feb 1, 2021 at 12:47 PM
    Jernik

Jernik New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM Tundra Crewmax
    Did I see somewhere the silver squeeze is media speculation and/or Wall Street planting a seed to distract from Gamestop, and that silversqueeze is NOT a deal the Reddit guys are actually going after?

To Top