1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Magnuson supercharger in 2 weeks!

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by bensky, May 2, 2019.

1. Jan 30, 2020 at 3:54 PM
    Midway

Midway New Member

Member:
    Nice! Yep, my wife, too. She wants a 27' flying Cloud now...

BigWalker[QUOTED] likes this.
  2. Jan 30, 2020 at 4:43 PM
    BigWalker

BigWalker New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Pete
    Vehicle:
    2019 tundra SR TRD
    What have done at least my wife says the 16 & 19 are cute!

Midway[QUOTED] likes this.
  3. Jan 31, 2020 at 4:09 PM
    Puba

Puba Not New Anymore

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Blue Bell, PA
    Vehicle:
    MGM 2019 Crewmax LTD OffRoad
    RCI skid plates Curtis front hitch TracRac Ladder racks Truxedo Tonneau Cover BedRug bed liner Console Vault Tech 12volts complete audio system upgrade Bilstein 6112/5100 Coachbuilder Shackles Fuel Vector 18x9 Falkan Wildpeak 295/70/18 DirtyDeeds 8" Standard Husky XAct floor liners Color matched Bumper Shellz fronts Pop and Lock Tailgate SDHQ Hidden Winch Mount Smittybilt X20 Comp 12K RCI Rock Sliders Harrop SC - Stage 1
    Anybody interested in how the stage 1 Harrop works without a tune...I came across this write up from down under.

Attached Files:

AZTundra, nlg4021 and Midway like this.
  4. Feb 1, 2020 at 9:17 AM
    nlg4021

nlg4021 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Ocean Springs, MS
    Vehicle:
    2020 Super White TRD Sport Tundra
    2" level, 34 Mickey Thompson ATZ, tint, Magnuson SC, pedal commander and katzkin leather
    So from a price comparison standpoint, if the Harrop stage 1 works on the tundras stock tune then why wouldn’t the Magnuson work? Both are 7 psi and I believe the Harrop is actually larger.

5. Feb 1, 2020 at 10:19 AM
    Puba

Puba Not New Anymore

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Blue Bell, PA
    Vehicle:
    RCI skid plates Curtis front hitch TracRac Ladder racks Truxedo Tonneau Cover BedRug bed liner Console Vault Tech 12volts complete audio system upgrade Bilstein 6112/5100 Coachbuilder Shackles Fuel Vector 18x9 Falkan Wildpeak 295/70/18 DirtyDeeds 8" Standard Husky XAct floor liners Color matched Bumper Shellz fronts Pop and Lock Tailgate SDHQ Hidden Winch Mount Smittybilt X20 Comp 12K RCI Rock Sliders Harrop SC - Stage 1
    Beats the s**t out of me but when I called Magnuson, they made no such claim or offer.

6. Feb 1, 2020 at 10:26 AM
    nlg4021

nlg4021 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Ocean Springs, MS
    Vehicle:
    2020 Super White TRD Sport Tundra
    2" level, 34 Mickey Thompson ATZ, tint, Magnuson SC, pedal commander and katzkin leather
    well if I was rich I would try just for the heck of it.

7. Feb 1, 2020 at 10:46 AM
    Toyotoholic

Toyotoholic -4Life-

Member:
    First Name:
    Jmz
    Vehicle:
    17' MGM
    Pro suspension, sways

I have the Platinum 8 yr/125k warranty and I was able to just talk openly with my service manager. We laid everything out ahead of time so there's no confusion. The Toyota warranty is intact and the Magnuson warranty coverage is what it is for the first 36k miles only, then it's on me... but only for Magnuson parts, everything else is covered normally by the Platinum OEM warranty. It Is pretty easy if you have a good dealership service manager. We even have an ongoing inspection/diagnosis of the cam tower seal, in case it starts, he has promised me both sides will be done under warranty! So far so good.

8. Feb 2, 2020 at 4:24 AM
    BigWalker

BigWalker New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Pete
    Vehicle:
    2019 tundra SR TRD
    Geting your dealership to verbally tell you your covered doesn’t really help unless its in writing. If you have a major failure in the driveline the extended warranty provider such as “big brother toyota corporate” has to approve the warranty coverage
    Also
    I sent an email to chriss at Harrop about finding an approvved installer, his answer was find a good quality mechanic and they will call them to discuss installation.
    I then sent a response asking for details on warranty and explaining mine and others extended warranty concerns...no response...yet

407plattundra and CTPlatinum like this.
  9. Feb 2, 2020 at 4:28 AM
    Puba

Puba Not New Anymore

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Blue Bell, PA
    Vehicle:
    He'll get back to you. He's been pretty good with me so far. I believe he is watching this forum. (I gave him a hint)

10. Feb 3, 2020 at 7:14 AM
    Midway

Midway New Member

Member:
    FYI: This warranty manual comes with the Harrop kit.

20200203_070430.jpg
    20200203_070835.jpg
    20200203_070751.jpg

Puba likes this.
  11. Feb 4, 2020 at 1:23 AM
    Rustyscrew

Rustyscrew New Member

Member:
    Rockledge,Fl
    Vehicle:
    15 Tundra Platinum
    TRD Front sway bar, TRD Rear sway bar, TRD red and blue shocks, 2018 LED headlights and fogs, TRD intake box lid, TRD air flow accelerator, AFE Super Stock Intake with dry filter, TRD radiator and oil cap, Radium PCV Oil catch can, StopTech SS brake lines, LED puddle lights, VLED interior lights, OEM metal oil filter housing, Fumoto oil drain valve, LED front turn signals, TRD Battery tie down.
    This was very interesting. They do seem to admit it would be better with a tune but it still works without since the engine is programmed to run rich and has ability to run with more intake flow. I did notice it also said that there can't be any other modifications.

@Midway When you ordered your Harrop, did you get a full kit from them or did you previously have the Mag SC and just swapped to the Harrop SC?

Last edited: Feb 4, 2020
  12. Feb 4, 2020 at 5:49 AM
    Midway

Midway New Member

Member:
    @Rustyscrew

I ordered the full kit. Now, depending on your model year, there is a difference in installation procedure and parts list.

For instance, since my Tundra is a 2018, I wasn't required to have new replacement fuel injectors. Anything prior to 2018, they'll include the injectors. No matter what year, you'll still receive a larger fuel pump.

If you're switching from the Magnuson to the Harrop, you'll retain most of your Magnuson hardware.

13. Feb 4, 2020 at 6:33 AM
    Rustyscrew

Rustyscrew New Member

Member:
    Rockledge,Fl
    Vehicle:
    15 Tundra Platinum
    TRD Front sway bar, TRD Rear sway bar, TRD red and blue shocks, 2018 LED headlights and fogs, TRD intake box lid, TRD air flow accelerator, AFE Super Stock Intake with dry filter, TRD radiator and oil cap, Radium PCV Oil catch can, StopTech SS brake lines, LED puddle lights, VLED interior lights, OEM metal oil filter housing, Fumoto oil drain valve, LED front turn signals, TRD Battery tie down.
    Ok, thanks for the info. I have a 15, so I guess it would come with injectors as well then. I'm really leaning to the Harrop>Magnussen because its much cleaner looking and most of all the extra power. Will probably do the Stage 1 first and then once tunes are out for Stage 2, do that conversion. Would you say for the extra money it is worth it.

14. Feb 4, 2020 at 7:09 AM
    Midway

Midway New Member

Member:
    My honest opinion, I think if someone wants to have a robust, reliable, supercharger kit, and doesn't really want to improve power output by custom tuning and playing with smaller pulleys and fuel hardware upgrades, then the Magnuson kit is the way to go. You could definitely tweak the Magnuson, but if more HP is your goal, then the Harrop is a great choice.

Since my goal is to eventually move to the stage 2 setup, I would say it's absolutely worth it. Currently, the stage 1 setup is plenty for most folks. Plus, yes, the Harrop looks bad ass.

Going beyond Stage 2 parameters, as some really want to do, you better start upgrading internals (Forged pistons/rods ect..) and beefing up the trans.

No risk, no reward

20200203_162744.jpg

15. Feb 4, 2020 at 7:24 AM
    Puba

Puba Not New Anymore

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Blue Bell, PA
    Vehicle:
    Rustyscrew, your 2015 should be gtg for stage 2 right out of the gate. Toyota changed some coding in 2019 to prevent Russian hackers from taking over America and Harrop, Magnuson, Whipple et al have not cracked the 2019/2020 mystery yet. I'm going with the Harrop because I can do it now and upgrade later...NOW, not 2 weeks. (Actually they are backordered 2 weeks but I know it works, and won't be waiting for coders to decode the 2019.)

16. Feb 4, 2020 at 8:50 AM
    BigWalker

BigWalker New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Pete
    Vehicle:
    2019 tundra SR TRD
    Chris sent me this email

“Our warranty only includes our supercharger kit. Most likely it will void your factory warranty. I would contact your local dealer and see what they have to say about it. This kit is able to be installed by the dealer if that would have any effect on your factory warranty.”
    Please let me know if I can help any further. ”
    Thanks
    Chris Mentrup | Performance Center Manager - USA

My belief is magnuson has the same issue but i believe they provide a blanket 36k warranty that covers vehicle. For owners like me with extended warranty what happens after 36k...poof?.....I plan on a dealer visit to discuss installation and vehicle warranty

17. Feb 4, 2020 at 1:41 PM
    Puba

Puba Not New Anymore

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Blue Bell, PA
    Vehicle:
    Got lucky. SDHQ had one Harrop in stock-ships today. (sans sales tax). Here I go again, ordering parts 2/3rds of the way across the US from me. I spoke with Chris at Harrop and he says he is working overtime to get more in stock.

AZTundra, Rustyscrew and Midway like this.
  18. Feb 4, 2020 at 3:00 PM
    4Runner

4Runner New Member

Member:
    Columbia, SC
    Vehicle:
    2017 Black Limited FFV
    Magnuson Supercharged, FOX 2.5 DSC front and rear, TRD Exhaust, TRD Rear Sway, and many more....build thread coming
    Agreed. Magnuson had no issues with my local Toyota dealership performing my install.

Reading through this, if I had to do all over again, I might go Harrop but either way, I would go OV Tune. Just hard to justify the extra $$$....I would be torn. Glad I didn’t have this “issue” 2 years ago. Lol.

AZTundra and Midway like this.
  19. Feb 6, 2020 at 3:46 AM
    CTPlatinum

CTPlatinum New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra Platinum 4x4
    None Yet
    Running a 2650 blower on a stock tune just does not sound like a good idea to me! I know these things run fat as hell from the factory, but I just don't like seeing a fuel system that stressed. Anybody know what kind of kind of duty cycle numbers they are seeing on a Stage 1 Harrop kit?

20. Feb 6, 2020 at 4:57 AM
    Rustyscrew

Rustyscrew New Member

Member:
    Rockledge,Fl
    Vehicle:
    15 Tundra Platinum
    I agree. I think I will have an OV Tune ready to go before install. I like though that the stage 2 comes with bigger injectors so they won’t be stressed as the OEM injectors. Does anybody know if Matt has a tune for stage 2?

CTPlatinum[QUOTED] likes this.
  21. Feb 6, 2020 at 6:49 AM
    Midway

Midway New Member

Member:
    @OVTune

He's working on it, he already has a 80mm & 75mm pulley that he's testing.

I'm not sure of the current status of that is right now.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2020
    Rustyscrew[QUOTED] likes this.
  22. Feb 6, 2020 at 6:59 AM
    Rustyscrew

Rustyscrew New Member

Member:
    Rockledge,Fl
    Vehicle:
    15 Tundra Platinum
    Good to hear. Hopefully able to make progress on it even with all those ppl hounding him.

23. Feb 6, 2020 at 7:05 AM
    Midway

Midway New Member

Member:

Mat is a busy guy.

Just a FYI, I had Mat send me a base tune before installation, which now I'm data logging for revisions.

I did drive on the stock tune for a week, and the truck ran great. But like the above comments, I want data to make changes if needed. Base tune runs great.

On a side note, I can email anyone a copy of the installation manual PDF.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2020
  24. Feb 10, 2020 at 7:17 PM
    407plattundra

407plattundra New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 Super White Tundra Platinum
    Manana = tomorrow

Last edited: Feb 10, 2020
    BeastMode5.7 likes this.
  25. Feb 10, 2020 at 8:13 PM
    JohnLakeman

JohnLakeman Burning Internet Daylight

Member:
    Outside of Weird, TX
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM DC TSS 4.6L
    TRD Pro grille, 2018 LED Headlights, Undercover Flex bed cover, Neoprene seat covers, Bed/tailgate mats, Power tailgate lock, auto headlights, illuminated key switch
    Actually translated "tomorrow", but you have to actually live on the southern border to hear or understand the joke. In El Paso, the joke is that "manana" doesn't necessarily mean something will happen tomorrow, it only means that it isn't happening today. ;)

26. Feb 10, 2020 at 8:19 PM
    407plattundra

407plattundra New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 Super White Tundra Platinum
    I don't know how in the hell my phone auto populated the atrocious spelling lol. I had to go and delete that "word" just now

27. Dec 26, 2020 at 6:18 AM
    Famof5Tundy

Famof5Tundy New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM CM Platinum
    Just getting started
    Well, I guess this thread was supposed to pick up "manana"...haha. I think down the road I'd like to add a supercharger to the truck. Something I haven't had or done before. I had a BMW turbo and I turned up the boost, that was sweet. Other than that I've never messed with performance but would like to. Always done things for off-road performance with lifts and lockers. I will be doing lift and tires again probably in the spring...but I see God things about all these. Here is the biggest question...when faced with Whipple, harrop or Magnuson, which one provides the most HP with least likely to cause any reliability issues. I would consider going into a stage 2 for a little extra coin...but once you're doing things like pistons and rods it seems like a bit much to the motor. And no I'm not going to be smoking the tires all the time, but just to be able to smash the skinny pedal, hear that whine and disappear would be awesome...

TX210Tundra and HulkSmurf14 like this.
  28. Dec 27, 2020 at 7:03 AM
    Hugh G.Rection

Hugh G.Rection New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra Crewmax
    I guess I don't understand the logic. Yes, SC's are cool but why did everyone on here buy a Toyota and not a F***, C***** or R**? Because they are ultra reliable and tough comparatively (for a heavy 1/2 ton).

If I want/need that much power I would just go with a new (W/T) Powerstroke and get 475hp and 1200lb/ft!!!!! or torque...under warranty. I like my Tundra to be Mr. Reliable and smooth as butter.

29. Dec 27, 2020 at 8:20 AM
    snivilous

snivilous snivspeedshop.com

Member:
    SW UT
    Vehicle:
    295k Supercharged 2008
    Except my Tundra is paid off, has no warranty, and has no issues, and probably makes 600hp. I thought long and hard to get a diesel, except I don't trust any american pickups as much as I trust my supercharged tundra with 240k :D even after all those miles and with that much power, from what I read and my experience it's still more reliable than a brand new diesel, and definitely more reliable than an american truck with that many miles. So I just keep admiring the guys with their big trucks while I put around with my little tundra haha

30. Dec 27, 2020 at 10:19 AM
    Hugh G.Rection

Hugh G.Rection New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra Crewmax
    I agree, U.S. Diesels are JUNK! The Duramax isn't bad because it's an Isuzu...but still.

I drive all the U.S. Diesels for work and some of the repair bills are staggering. IF I ever owned one (no need) I certainly would be getting rid of that MF before the warranty was up! Cheers!

snivilous likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top