1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Lumen LED Replacements

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Zharris, Dec 13, 2016.

1. Dec 13, 2016 at 8:44 AM
    Zharris

Zharris [OP] Merica!

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Super White 4x4 Crewmax
    I was thinking about replacing all the bulbs in my truck with LEDs. I found different bulbs made by Lumen that are supposed to be drop in replacements for pretty much every bulb. Has anyone tried these bulbs by Lumen or know anything about them?

2. Dec 13, 2016 at 5:49 PM
    MotoTundra

MotoTundra The Ocho

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    -TRS Mini D2S Retrofit on TRD Pro Headlights (Apollo 2.0 Shrouds, 35w XB Ballasts, 5500k Bulbs) -Baja Designs Squadron R Sport Aux lights. -TRD Pro Grill -TRD Rear Sway Bar -BakFlip VP Tonneau w/BakBox -Dipped wheels & bumpers -Iron Cross HD steps -Undercover Swingcase -SunTek Paint Protection film -Tinted glass -Bedmat -OEM Towing Mirrors
    I don't, but I have seen threads in which guys swapped interior lights for LEDs and had some problems. Not sure if it is brand/quality specific or just an occasional issue with LEDs in our trucks.
    I haven't swapped mine out for this reason.

3. Dec 14, 2016 at 7:44 PM
    Zharris

Zharris [OP] Merica!

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I think most of them said they were the cheaper ones from Amazon. Think that's more of a quality issue. But that's why I'm asking. Haha these lumen ones aren't exactly cheap.

MotoTundra likes this.
  4. Dec 14, 2016 at 8:01 PM
    Kilos

Kilos YotaPro

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Pro Barcelona Red
    Icon Stage 6 suspension Method NVs matte black w/Toyo Tires 35x12.5s SDHQ Sliders Cab mount chop Precision LED interior lights (6000k) GTR reverse LEDs 20% acrylic tint (heat resistant) Inyati spray in bedliner Black TRD Pro bed inserts Vivid Racing Leather wrapped steering wheel AJT Designs TRD shift knob AJT key fob Morimoto LED fog lights Full JL Audio sound system upgrade Kenwood 995S HU
    I upgraded all of mine to LEDs and have had zero issues. With that said, I went with the kit from PrecisonLED.com and they weren't exactly cheap. Chose the 6000k color; slight hint of blue, and definitely no yellow tint to them. Crisp, clean, white light.

NewImprovedRon and MotoTundra like this.
  5. Dec 14, 2016 at 8:01 PM
    TheBeast

TheBeast The Beach

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    don't go cheapo..get some good ones. I went with cheapo first and plenty of issues. Then I bought the good stuff at vleds.com

very happy with them. I get compliments all the time.." do they make the same for my dodge ? "...lol

NewImprovedRon and MotoTundra like this.
  6. Dec 14, 2016 at 8:21 PM
    Ericsopa

Ericsopa Old man and the sea

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    N of Rio Grande, S of Red, E of Pecos, W of Sabine
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra CrewMax TRD Ltd Super Duper White OVtuned
    I got the interiors from Amazon. Look great. Much brighter. White...no yellow

7. Dec 14, 2016 at 8:26 PM
    CaptTyler

CaptTyler Life’s too short to have an ugly boat.

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2018 Ram 2500 Cummins
    Another vote for VLED's. Love mine. You get what you pay for...

8. Dec 14, 2016 at 8:46 PM
    Backslider

Backslider Thirsty...

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Tooele, UT
    Vehicle:
    2022 GMC Sierra AT4 L5P - 2017 4runner SR5P - 2023 Tesla Model 3 LR
    I didn't get VLEDs. I bought VLEDs DRL switchbacks and sockets on both sides melted.

I spent about $30 total piecing together LED bulbs on Amazon. I had zero problems installing and still have had no issues.

VLEDs LEDs are made from Chinese components, just like the JDM or similar on Amazon.

9. Dec 14, 2016 at 8:55 PM
    TheBeast

TheBeast The Beach

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    everything is made in china nowadays..even your iphone

NewImprovedRon likes this.
  10. Dec 15, 2016 at 3:47 AM
    Zharris

Zharris [OP] Merica!

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for the answers guys. I'll check into the VLED stuff too. They're a little cheaper than the lumens. Might have to swap out my fog, headlights, and tail lights too.

Backslider likes this.
  11. Dec 15, 2016 at 4:10 AM
    Backslider

Backslider Thirsty...

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Tooele, UT
    Vehicle:
    Don't get LED bulbs with reflector headlights. Oncoming traffic will hate you but from your perspective the light will be scattered. better to get an HID setup if you're keeping the stock headlight assemblies.

TheBeast, Ericsopa and MotoTundra like this.
  12. Dec 15, 2016 at 5:02 AM
    Zharris

Zharris [OP] Merica!

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for the heads up. You have an HID setup you would recommend?

Oh, and if I do go with HID for the headlights, is it going to be big noticeable difference in them and the LED bulbs around it? I ask because my mom has a 4 runner and they put LED fog lights in at the dealership as an "upgrade" but the LED and the regular lights are so different that she never turns the fog lights on. It makes it look strange with the mismatch lights.

13. Dec 15, 2016 at 7:00 AM
    Backslider

Backslider Thirsty...

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Tooele, UT
    Vehicle:
    If they are the same temperature lights they will match. just make sure they are all, for example, 6000k. (6000k looks best, imo.)

Color-Temperature-Chart.jpg

14. Dec 15, 2016 at 7:08 AM
    Zharris

Zharris [OP] Merica!

Member:
    Vehicle:

I got you. Thanks man!

Backslider[QUOTED] likes this.
  15. Dec 15, 2016 at 7:46 AM
    MotoTundra

MotoTundra The Ocho

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    -TRS Mini D2S Retrofit on TRD Pro Headlights (Apollo 2.0 Shrouds, 35w XB Ballasts, 5500k Bulbs) -Baja Designs Squadron R Sport Aux lights. -TRD Pro Grill -TRD Rear Sway Bar -BakFlip VP Tonneau w/BakBox -Dipped wheels & bumpers -Iron Cross HD steps -Undercover Swingcase -SunTek Paint Protection film -Tinted glass -Bedmat -OEM Towing Mirrors
    The best way to upgrade your headlights is hands down a retrofit. It's not cheap, nor easy if you do it yourself, but it's the "correct" way to get more light without scattering it all over the place.

I can't stand being blinded by oncoming traffic. HID's with stock reflectors or LED's with stock reflectors are basically like driving around with your high beams on. The reflector bowl of your headlight is designed for a halogen bulb, and reflects light in the correct areas based on how a halogen bulb throws light. When you change the type of bulb (to HID or LED), you need to change the reflector to match. That's what a retrofit does, and the results are amazing. I did an HID retrofit with projectors specifically designed for the HID bulbs I use.

Check the link in my sig for more details. If your are on a mobile device, turn it sideways to see sigs. I did a DIY on it.

16. Dec 15, 2016 at 8:26 AM
    bsavoir

bsavoir New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Killeen, TX
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra Limited CM 4x4
    Gibson Metal Mulisha Exhaust, Replaced bulbs w/ LED's, AFe intake, Bullydog Tuner, Aftermarket Audio system, Rhino Bed Light sports bar, Tonneau Cover, Spyder Auto Headlights and Taillights, Recon 3rd Brake Light, Kensun HID's, Fender Flares, Custom Leather Interior, Heated Seats, 5% Tint on the Rear Windows, Pod light Foglights, 31" light bar behind the grille, linex spray bedliner, linex sprayed grille, ditch lights w/ dual 3in LED pods, 60" Tailgate LED strip.
    I had a Skyline when I was stationed in Okinawa that had HID in a reflector housing but it was designed for such an application. I see this all the time on base people putting HID's or LED in reflecting housing especially from older model vehicles. Some are still under the impression that the higher the kelvin the brighter the output which is not the case. I wish I would have waited the price for a Retrofit have dropped significantly since I got my truck but if and when these fail I will definitely get a pair of retrofits.

MotoTundra and Backslider like this.
  17. Dec 15, 2016 at 8:44 AM
    bsavoir

bsavoir New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Killeen, TX
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra Limited CM 4x4
    Gibson Metal Mulisha Exhaust, Replaced bulbs w/ LED's, AFe intake, Bullydog Tuner, Aftermarket Audio system, Rhino Bed Light sports bar, Tonneau Cover, Spyder Auto Headlights and Taillights, Recon 3rd Brake Light, Kensun HID's, Fender Flares, Custom Leather Interior, Heated Seats, 5% Tint on the Rear Windows, Pod light Foglights, 31" light bar behind the grille, linex spray bedliner, linex sprayed grille, ditch lights w/ dual 3in LED pods, 60" Tailgate LED strip.
    I found a pair of Rayhoo Interior LED's, I have had them in my truck for about year and half. There are very white and have not had one burn out yet, I have a pair for my license plate light and drove about 18000 miles with them so far. I will admit finding a decent pair that will last is a bit tedious but I hate paying more for something similar, for certain parts you can't sacrifice quality for a lower price.

18. Dec 15, 2016 at 10:17 AM
    Zharris

Zharris [OP] Merica!

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for all the answers guys. I've looked at your retrofit stuff before Moto. Thanks for the input. I've just been considering all my options.

19. Dec 15, 2016 at 11:27 AM
    MotoTundra

MotoTundra The Ocho

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    I forgot to mention, like your Skyline (I wish I had one btw) some vehicles came from the factory with HID bulbs in reflector bowls, not projectors.

I hear ya. Good luck!

20. Dec 15, 2016 at 2:15 PM
    TheBeast

TheBeast The Beach

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    +1 Moto. Best is retrofits if you have the dough. i spent all my money at the strip club so I got some cheap HIDs..

Agitated1 and MotoTundra like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top