1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Lower control arm bushings

Discussion in '1st Gen Tundras (2000-2006)' started by Baller, Feb 4, 2020.

1. Mar 2, 2020 at 9:29 AM
    Hi06silver

Hi06silver Fat. Thumbs.

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Vehicle:
    2006 DC 4x4 Waltrip
    5 inch TC Lift. Icon 2.5 Ext. travel coilovers- Icon Resi- shocks w/Firestrone air-ride 285/75/17 Toyo OC Ext. FN Overlander wheels Retrofit Projectors Kenwood H/U Natika Back-up camera
    I would go OEM. I read enough on here about guys having shit luck with after market bushings after like 20,000 miles. The route I took was look for them on Ebay and or online retailers, but factory toyota places. I got a couple of the LCA bushings from www.parts.olathe.toyota.com. Close enough to me that shipping was a couple days being as they were in stock. There are, different part numbers on the same part if I remember correctly due to a service bulletin. So, the ones that were part of the S.B. were packaged together/different part #s. I found this out through a bunch of research and questions on the phone with Olathe. There are others with the similar prices. $143 for 2 bushings from olathe.

A friend/professional mechanic and I pressed out and pressed in new bushings. He wasn't too keen on the idea and told me to be prepared to buy a whole new arm for each side if things go the way they usually do at work (Iowa, salt, etc.). My truck came from Oregon and Missouri (STL for about a year). I wanted to save money and go the bushing vs whole arm route.

I ordered new SPC sleeve Kit part # 25445. You'll need 1 per side. We only ended up using 1 and kept factory on 1 side. I ordered mine from Trendsauto on Ebay.

2-new bushings from Olathe toyota part # 48655-34010, 48654-34010 and 2 of the same from someone on ebay that they found sitting behind the seat of the truck when they bought it for 30 bucks/ on ebay.

I found this guy very helpful in pressing in and out.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmaZNBp1gZM&t=614s

Make sure to throw those bitches in the freezer well before you do this. Get a list of all the crap you'll need ahead of time. Take your time.
    Spray the shit out of every bolt and nut you plan to turn a few times the week before
    Emery cloth
    rags
    torch
    Socket to press use as press adapter (we had to grind the sides down to fit in the control arm bushing hole)
    Bench grinder
    large vice
    PATIENCE
    various tools and sockets (got a lot of them off the youtube link)

IMG_20190824_113313.jpg
    IMG_20190824_113308.jpg

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
    bmf4069, turboser91, hammeron and 2 others like this.
  2. Mar 2, 2020 at 10:42 AM
    SouthWestGA

SouthWestGA New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tundra CrewMAX and 2014 Nissan NV3500 Passenger
    I replaced my LCA with Moog complete units from Advanced Auto years ago. Easier and quicker than fighting with stupid old bushings. I had a coupon plus rewards bucks.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2020
    artsr2002 likes this.
  3. Mar 2, 2020 at 3:18 PM
    Whothefat

Whothefat New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Clark
    Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    2006 Black Tundra DC 4x4

Awesome post man thanks for the advice. I’ll probably go OEM and press them out/in myself. I do have a 12 ton harbor freight press so Hopefully that’ll make it a little smoother.

Hi06silver[QUOTED] likes this.
  4. Mar 2, 2020 at 3:37 PM
    Professional Hand Model

Professional Hand Model A.K.A ‘Golden Hands’

Member:
    First Name:
    Fred
    ‘Somewhere’... a State of Mind
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tundra SR5 4WD 4.7L AC Silver Metallica
    Hand Protectors
    Based on all the extra labor paid to remove/reinstall bushings did you actually save $$$ in the grand total scheme of things to make it worth while?

5. Mar 2, 2020 at 6:14 PM
    Hi06silver

Hi06silver Fat. Thumbs.

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Vehicle:
    2006 DC 4x4 Waltrip
    5 inch TC Lift. Icon 2.5 Ext. travel coilovers- Icon Resi- shocks w/Firestrone air-ride 285/75/17 Toyo OC Ext. FN Overlander wheels Retrofit Projectors Kenwood H/U Natika Back-up camera
    Yuppers. Those loaded control arms ain't cheap and I did a ton of work on his kitchen complete tear and redo and a new garage. It's a good trade.
    I could've stumbled through but he had space I could use and a lift so that helps.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2020

Products Discussed in

To Top