1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Loose tail gate hinge passengers side

Discussion in 'General Tundra Discussion' started by Mat1018, Oct 3, 2017.

1. Oct 3, 2017 at 5:22 PM
    Mat1018

Mat1018 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mat
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    2016 Super White platinum CM 4x4
    4" lift, spyder headlights and tail lights, LT headers. Carven exhaust, and XD series monsters II wheels.
    So before I jump into trying to fix this by any means because it drives me crazy going over speed bumps or any bump at that. So the passanger side of the tail gate when closed I can literally move it around up to a half inch in any direction. Has anyone ever shimmed that side of the tail gate before. I also understand that that is how the tail gate comes off but again I'm tired of the rattle all the time.

2. Oct 3, 2017 at 5:24 PM
    TheBeast

TheBeast The Beach

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    I was wondering the same thing the other day

3. Oct 3, 2017 at 5:47 PM
    Mat1018

Mat1018 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mat
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    4" lift, spyder headlights and tail lights, LT headers. Carven exhaust, and XD series monsters II wheels.
    It took me forever to figure out where the rattle was coming from. I literally shacking everything I could till I found it was the tail gate. So I'm ready to fix it that's forsure. I'm probably going to take the tail gate off tomorrow and seeing what I can do. But till then looking for anyone that has fixed the problem.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2017
  4. Oct 3, 2017 at 7:40 PM
    duece292

duece292 Appalachian American

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Green Bay, WI
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra SR5 CM TRD 5.7 4X4
    I knew I should've taken pics lol. I had the same rattle from the same spot. I took the tailgate off of the truck and removed the plastic cup from the inside of the female part of the hinge on the tailgate and wrapped a thin piece of rubber around it and popped it back in. It's tough but it will come out. The rubber i used was probably 1/64" thickness. For the male part I got some shrink tube and layered it. 3 layers seemed to snug it up. I cut it long, shrunk it and trimmed off the excess with a razor blade. I don't recall the size of the shrink tube, I'll have to see if I can find the package. It's been good for quite a while. I also lubed up the hinges before I put the tailgate back on and put some oxigard in the plug before I reconnected the back up camera.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2017
    NewImprovedRon and 4x4_Angel like this.
  5. Oct 3, 2017 at 7:59 PM
    Mat1018

Mat1018 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mat
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    Yeah I'll probably look at taking the gate off and seeing what I can do also. Hopefully it's an easy fix.

6. Oct 4, 2017 at 5:07 AM
    040Tundra

040Tundra Teddy 2013-2019

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle:
    040 '16 CM LTD 4x4
    A little of this and a little of that.
    I wonder if one of those McGaurd devices would keep it from rattling around? I have one and haven’t had any rattles coming from back where the tail gate is.

7. Aug 26, 2018 at 5:56 PM
    Requests05

Requests05 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed B
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra
    Hello, picked up my first Tundra (2018 Limited) a month ago. I noticed my passenger side tailgate hinge has some play in it as well. Is this by design? Do they all have this issue? I see the fix for the rattle but I’m just wondering if I should have Toyota look at it? The driver side is solid, passenger side I can wiggle around. Let me know. Thanks.

Products Discussed in

To Top