1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Looking for advice...what new tundra to buy?

Discussion in 'General Tundra Discussion' started by ScottsBad, Sep 13, 2017.

1. Sep 13, 2017 at 3:03 PM
    ScottsBad

ScottsBad [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Free Idaho, escaped Commiefornian
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Limited
    Just a Bed Rug, Soft Topper, Console Safe
    My wife and I decided on a 2017 or 2018 Tundra, she drove one and loved it. Max Cab because we have teenagers who travel with us but will be gone in two years or so. Limited with leather, because my wife likes it. White color because I'm too old and lazy to keep it clean. TRD because...uh well it'll be all mine soon enough. AND THERE ARE THE QUESTIONS...

After reading a little on this forum I'm sure I'll eventually want to lift it and put a little bit bigger tires on it. My goal is something that I can do a little off roading with, but nothing that will make it horrible to drive on the freeway. Something that looks better, but isn't so lifted that I cannot get family into it. I like the look and utility of tires stuffed under the fenders, rather than a really high lift with wheels way below. I like the look of modified stock, a little more subtle mods. Am I making any sense or starting out on this forum sounding like a lunatic?

- So, is it a waste to buy the TRD package? Can I still use the stock TRD stuff when I lift it say like 3 and 1. OR will I be ditching the shocks and tire/wheels anyway?

- Should I just go with the stock 20s and skip the TRD stuff?

- Are there any options that I should not get because they are a waste or will inhibit modification later?

Thanks for any advice you guys can give before I sign the papers.

Scott

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
  2. Sep 13, 2017 at 3:23 PM
    trayday

trayday New Member

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2015 limited CM 5.7
    7" BDS, ADS front and rear, Total Chaos UCA's, CB tie rods
    If I were to do it again? I'd go for the platinum over the limited, the quality of the seats is a big difference and is important to me. Factory mods, I wouldn't get running boards as I think most people replace and the floor mats aren't really useful, I have the upgraded all weather factory mats sitting in my garage. I also recommend getting the spray in bed liner.

I'm not 100% sure of the TRD upgrades but I think they're just the wheels, shocks, front skid plate and fuel tank skid plate which the fuel skid is important to me but still can buy aftermarket parts of better quality.

You can still use the stock TRD stuff if you lift your truck but might sacrifice ride quality. I upgraded my suspension for off-roading and my truck rides smoother on the freeway and off-road than it did before the modifications. Hopefully this helps some.

Coolhardy likes this.
  3. Sep 13, 2017 at 3:29 PM
    ColoradoTJ

ColoradoTJ Certified tow LEO Staff Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
    I agree with @trayday, go platinum if you can. That is what I would do. Having really nice seats is....awesome.

T-Rex266 and trayday like this.
  4. Sep 13, 2017 at 3:51 PM
    joonbug

joonbug °°°°°°°°°°

Member:
    First Name:
    Joon
    NorCal - Dublin
    Vehicle:
    2020 Long Travel DC
    If I were buying now, I would definitely get a 2018 over a 2017 just for the LED headlights and the collision avoidance. I bought a TRD offroad package and the only thing left from the package are my stickers. But I did sell the wheels and tires for $900, which I believe are easier to sell than any of the other wheels other than the PRO wheels. Also, if you don't plan on buying all new skid plates, although the TRD ones are pretty flimsy and almost useless, it's still better having those than none at all. And it sounds like you want the typical 3/1 with +34" tires.

tomsinamerica likes this.
  5. Sep 13, 2017 at 4:08 PM
    smslavin

smslavin New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Hudson Valley
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra CrewMax SR5
    Some stuff
    pfft. suck it up man. these are my seats...

[​IMG]

edwin729, BOBONTUESDAY, G-man and 3 others like this.
  6. Sep 13, 2017 at 4:27 PM
    ColoradoTJ

ColoradoTJ Certified tow LEO Staff Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
    Well those are rather crappy seats.

Sunnier and Darth Tundra like this.
  7. Sep 13, 2017 at 4:28 PM
    big_jarv

big_jarv New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD Pro
    As others said get the platinum over the limited. I would also try for an 18 for the headlights.

If you are set on a limited I would get the off-road. It's generally only a few hundred dollars to upgrade to the off-road with limited package. You could easily sell your off-road wheels and make back the cash plus some.

IMG_5485.jpg

8. Sep 13, 2017 at 4:28 PM
    joonbug

joonbug °°°°°°°°°°

Member:
    First Name:
    Joon
    NorCal - Dublin
    Vehicle:
    2020 Long Travel DC
    they wouldn't be so bad with a little padding and some Katzkins.

jfrd30 likes this.
  9. Sep 13, 2017 at 4:30 PM
    smslavin

smslavin New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Hudson Valley
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra CrewMax SR5
    Some stuff
    yea. no kidding. see that pile of paper in the middle? that's sandpaper man. sand. paper.

10. Sep 13, 2017 at 4:57 PM
    Metro14536

Metro14536 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle:
    2021 Army Green SR5 CM TRDOR 4x4
  11. Sep 13, 2017 at 5:16 PM
    gosolo

gosolo You Don’t Know Who I Am But I Know Where You Live

Member:
    First Name:
    Ray
    NW Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2015 DC Super Fine Super White Pro
    2"CB shackles, bushings and 1 shim, lockerdown console vault, rear folding seat back mod, snugtop shell with opening side windows, 46g fuel tank, SDHQ sliders and hidden winch, Decked Drawers, Alcan leaf springs and got rid of the interior chrome
    The only reason not to get the platinum would be if you were able to find a Pro. For the use you say that you want it may suit you perfectly. But that's a pretty rare unicorn.

Sunnier likes this.
  12. Sep 13, 2017 at 5:29 PM
    TXRailRoadBandit73

TXRailRoadBandit73 YOTAS,RAILROADIN',RÖKnRÖLLN',BEER,MAX/GEMMA

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    The 956, TEXAS
    None yet
  13. Sep 13, 2017 at 5:35 PM
    froggy78

froggy78 Loco Moco Bastrd

Member:
    First Name:
    JP
    SF Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    1794 TRD
    SR5 to the 1794. You can't miss!

14. Sep 13, 2017 at 5:41 PM
    Stig

Stig New Member

Member:
    Lot of suggestions to get the 18 over the 17 because of collision avoidance and LED headlights. However I haven't found any light output shots and retro fits are not that hard and have the best output if you go with a quality projector.

Collision avoidance and those other systems the 18s now come with are not for everyone. I could never own a car with those. Had it in a rental and loaner a few times. Worst driving experience ever, especially trying to use cruise control.

BTW, the Nissan Pathfinder that rear ended my Tundra when I was stopped for 3 full seconds and totalled it and the Nissan, has collision avoidance. But apparently it's so sensitive that the driver turns it off, which he either did that since traffic was heavy, or the system failed.

Seems these systems are not nearly refined to make them worth while and the only reason it's coming on so many cars now is all the new mandates.

Samoan Thor and Sunnier like this.
  15. Sep 13, 2017 at 8:44 PM
    ScottsBad

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Limited
    First, thanks to all for the quick replies.

The only concern I have with the soft leather is that its, well, soft. We have an older Lexus with the soft perforated seats. The leather is fairly thin and the perforations actually catch on things, rarely of course. But I will take a look at the Platinum to see if it is different.

I think you are right about the running boards, I'll look at after market steps.

I am curious about the spray on bedliner. The first truck I looked seriously at had the spray on. What do you guys like about the spay on vs. the liner???

The TRD stuff probably isn't as good as the aftermarket stuff. I will take your advice on ride quality. Perhaps I'll just use the TRD stuff for awhile and then switch to lift and off road pieces.

I would be curious what you recommend.

16. Sep 13, 2017 at 9:31 PM
    ScottsBad

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Limited
    Thanks, yeah that is a factor for me. The LED headlights are important, IDK if the nanny electronics are any good but they might be useful too. I like what they did with the seat styling, a small but nice change. I'll probably keep the TRD skid plates and replace them in the future. I plan to leave the vehicle semi-stock until the tires wear out.

I'm undecided about the upgraded sound system, but its relatively inexpensive so I might just get it.

17. Sep 13, 2017 at 9:35 PM
    ScottsBad

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Limited
    Yeah, no, these are the back seats. Good for babies on long trips.

Darth Tundra likes this.
  18. Sep 13, 2017 at 9:39 PM
    ScottsBad

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Limited
    I'll have to take another look at the platinum, I wouldn't know where to find a Pro and besides I do have a budget because I have to buy a car for my teenager daughters as well.

19. Sep 13, 2017 at 9:40 PM
    Darth Tundra

Darth Tundra I AM....YOUR FATHER

Member:
    First Name:
    Curt
    Vehicle:
    17 CM TRD Black
    Revtek 2.5 level kit, 295/70/18 on stock rims..no rear mods
    Damn CORNY.....AND DAMN FUNNY AT THE SAME TIME :rofl:

20. Sep 13, 2017 at 9:44 PM
    ScottsBad

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Limited
    Yeah, just wait for the "self driving cars" everyone is touting. I think they'll be like poorly targeted guided missiles on wheels. Not sure about the Tundra nanny features, but as long as I can turn it off it'll be OK.

21. Sep 13, 2017 at 9:55 PM
    ScottsBad

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Limited
    OK, Platinum interior only comes in black. Not good for California.

22. Sep 13, 2017 at 9:59 PM
    ubserved

ubserved New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Vehicle:
    2017 Toytota Tundra Platinum Crewmax
    Grillguard, front LED light bar, Leer Tonneau cover, rear LED bars
    I have the '17 CM Platinum and I absolutely love it. I think if I had to do it all over again I would get the same truck, I don't know if they have the TRD package on the Platinum which on hind sight I would have gotten had I thought about it. This was my first Tundra. Anyways, back to the platinum. I love the seats and interior on the Platinum over the Limited. The diamond stitching in the interior is just downright awesome. I have the dark grey truck with blank interior. The 1794 is similar in what I had noticed but I didn't like the interior that is the color of doritos.

23. Sep 14, 2017 at 1:45 AM
    Sunnier

Sunnier Pity the warrior that slays all his foes

Member:
    First Name:
    Sunny
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Inferno Tundra DC TRD & Longtravel 1st Gen, Banner/ HulkSmash build
    http://www.tundratalk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=645857

Here's what a guy said who had a Platinum and "downgraded" to a Limited. Not a 2018, but a reminder you should definitely try before you buy.

I just bought an 2017 SR5 TRD with the regular cloth seats-- the driver's seat is very firm with good lumbar support and lots of adjustment options that fits my back pretty well, but I've read that others find it too stiff and uncomfortable. And (I haven't sat in one), but pretty much everyone I've talked to or read says the passenger seat sucks: NO lumbar supports and few adjustment options. BOTH SEATS are canted toward the center console, which is not comfortable-- it's one of 2 things I strongly dislike about my otherwise awesome truck. I know you're not looking at an SR5 but I wanted to bring it up b/c, when you start listing options (TRD brings the 38 gal gas tank, the front console, suspension that won me over on a test drive, compared with non-TRD), it's easy to buy a truck that has almost everything you want at a great price... and miss one thing you'll miss more than other things on your list.

Somebody pointed out above: you can probably swap out the headlights; seems like the accident-avoidance stuff is pretty new and untested (and you're already talking about disabling it); but if your wife likes seats enough that she's on board to buy a Tundra (#score), you should put seats ahead of the other stuff. Once you do that... I vote for the 'Tundra you know' = the old technology ("tried and tested") over new stuff you may not use. I knew the 2018's were comin', but didn't want to find out too late they'll have trouble. My ¢.02.

24. Sep 14, 2017 at 2:27 AM
    Patriot

Patriot Member

Member:
    Western NC, “Boondocks”
    Buy the Platinum CM if you can swing it. I did and never looked back and "mod" made it mine. You will have all the bells and whistles and creature comforts of a premium Tundra. You will spend a kings ransom trying to upgrade any other model to a Platinum later.

Then you can add a Toytec 3/1 suspension lift, wheels, tires, and mod until your wallet screams I am hollow!!! :rofl: what ever you buy enjoy!

25. Sep 14, 2017 at 12:20 PM
    trayday

trayday New Member

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2015 limited CM 5.7
    7" BDS, ADS front and rear, Total Chaos UCA's, CB tie rods
    A friend's 1794 driver seat has been replaced twice from ripped seams on the bolster, I'm guessing from sliding out of the seat, the dealer let him pick a set of covers at their cost so they didn't have to keep replacing. The Platinum comes with air cooled seats and could always have a remote start installed to cool the cabin before jumping in the truck on hot days, thats what I used to do in SD.

I like the spray on for the durability and once its applied, its part of the truck. I've thrown heavy metal objects, wood and other crap in the bed and no dents. The bed liner is just an insert and plastic liner.

I recommend ADS shocks as thats what I have, I've done days of research before making my selection and I feel I've made right decision.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
    Sunnier, borntostun and Patriot like this.
  26. Sep 14, 2017 at 1:14 PM
    borntostun

borntostun New Member

Member:
    I'm just starting my search also and going back and forth between the Platinum and a 1794. I had a '14 Platinum and really liked that truck.

Does anyone happen to know if there's any difference (or upgrade) in the interior of the Platinum vs. 1794? Are the seats the same style/padding/comfort level . . . same sound deadening, etc.? Or is the 1794 a bit step up at all? Always wondered if they're the same; just differing styles . . .

27. Sep 14, 2017 at 1:43 PM
    TheBeast

TheBeast The Beach

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    resale value on trd package is better even if you change most of the parts. crew max and 5.7L are in demand too.
    crew max has the rear window that can roll down too

28. Sep 14, 2017 at 2:06 PM
    Unlimited

Unlimited New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra Crewmax Limited TRD Offroad
    TRD dual Exhaust, TRD Pro Skid Plate, TRD CAI, Demello Hybrid Sliders, Bilstein 6112/5160, Total Chaos UCA, Toytec rear Shackle lift @ 1.5", SCS Ray10 18" with spare, Cooper STT Pro 295/70r18 with spare, Extang Solid Fold 2.0 Tonneau, KB Voodoo Hi Rise Crossbars Oh Sh!t handle add
    I just bought a Limited Crewmax with OffRoad package and I love it. I don't have any issue with the seats, I find them very comfortable - but I DID NOT sit in a Platinum so I can't make that comparison.

I upgraded the skid and added a bed mat (came with the bed-liner). I didn't want all of the nanny stuff so I was happy to settle with a 2017.

If you want to swap out everything right away you might not need the Off Road package but its a pretty cheap add on and starts you with a fairly capable truck.

29. Sep 14, 2017 at 2:28 PM
    renlo

renlo New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rene
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra Platinum
    Bilstein 5100 top setting Coachbuilder .25" Shim SPC UCAs Bilstein 5100 Rear
    I have a platinum and live out in the desert where it gets over 115°. Youd be surprised how fast the leather seats cool off.

trayday likes this.
  30. Sep 14, 2017 at 2:30 PM
    renlo

renlo New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rene
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra Platinum
    Bilstein 5100 top setting Coachbuilder .25" Shim SPC UCAs Bilstein 5100 Rear
    They are the same seats, except for color.

Products Discussed in

To Top