1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

looking for 1st tundra, need frame help

Discussion in '1st Gen Tundras (2000-2006)' started by Durbin7, Feb 8, 2020.

1. Feb 8, 2020 at 11:56 AM
    Durbin7

Durbin7 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Ohio
    Hi, I am new to the forum and I am looking for a tundra. I have a second gen Tacoma I am selling. I am looking for more room in my truck for my kids and like the first gen better than the second gen tundras. I have found some that seemed like a good deal until I got to see pics of the frame.
    I found one near me with good miles and price. I am looking at an 06 double cab. It has 122 k miles, appears clean and in good shape for under 9k. What do you think of this frame? I was told it was inspected and given the rustfroofing coating a couple of years ago.

image_0.jpg
    image_0_01.jpg

2. Feb 8, 2020 at 12:02 PM
    empty_lord

empty_lord They see me rollin'

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Indiana, Chicagoland
    Vehicle:
    05 rollover special
    custom body work, Billies with taco ARB springs, Icon AAL, TRD FJ trail team wheels, 2019 Toyota 86 radio, Blacked out interior, Added factory power everything, heater mirrors, ETC
    Judging by the rough texture of the frame there’s at least surface rust Under that frame

3. Feb 8, 2020 at 12:47 PM
    Durbin7

Durbin7 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Ohio
    I know it is hard finding rust free frames in the north. I am trying to figure out how bad is bad .

4. Feb 8, 2020 at 1:41 PM
    speedtre

speedtre New Member

Member:
    Inland Northwest
    Vehicle:
    2006 BSM Toyota Tundra DC TRD 4x4
    Unfortunately the only way you can really tell is by inspecting the frame in person. If I was buying a Tundra in the states where rust is a concern, I would only put down refundable deposits pending my inspection of the frame. If you are buying from a dealer, insist they put it on a lift (if they have one) to make it easier to inspect. That is a damn good price if the frame checks out and it's 4x4. Good luck and welcome...:thumbsup:

5. Feb 8, 2020 at 1:44 PM
    Durbin7

Durbin7 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Ohio
    It is 2wd. I am ok with 2 wd or 4wd. I have owned both. My last truck I would only use 4wd once a blue moon. I don't off road and the roads around me are cleared really well in the winter. I figured I could get 2wd cheaper, so I was leaning that way. It is from a small dealer, going to go check it out this week. In really good shape over all.

6. Feb 8, 2020 at 8:39 PM
    remington351

remington351 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 SR5 DoubleCab
    This youtube gives you an idea of how the rust problem starts and progresses. Do a search in the forum for rust and lots of threads will have pictures of frame cancer to give you an idea of how bad it can actually look.

Check the vin at Toyota owners website. If the recall frame goop application was done it will be recorded. If it's not there, the frame you're looking at was probably painted by the previous owner, which may or may not have been to hide existing rust issues. The second pic where there is the dark overspray onto bed sheet metal makes me this this was a Bubba's Automotive spray can job. The factory recall is more of a oily paste like coating.

https://www.toyota.com/owners/my-vehicle/vehicle-specification

Take a small hammer, brass hammer, or hard plastic mallet and rap the frame all along each wheel front and back. A rusted area, even if inside the frame will have a distinctly lower pitch when struck with the hammer. I did this during my shopping and a frame that looked ok outside had a couple of dead spots. I even saw some rust fly up and pop out of the existing factory frame holes.

Good luck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2L0JB4eWo-0

7. Feb 8, 2020 at 8:56 PM
    Durbin7

Durbin7 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Ohio
    Thank you for the tips and the video, remington351. I am not in a rush, and want to find a truck that will last me a long time.

8. Feb 8, 2020 at 9:39 PM
    Durbin7

Durbin7 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Ohio
    I found a truck from the south that is mostly rust free, not being exposed to the northern salt and winter problems. 2006, double cab, limited, 4x4, 114000 miles, for $13500. Just had the timing belt done. Would that be worth checking out?

Dog, speedtre and empty_lord like this.
  9. Feb 9, 2020 at 6:50 AM
    speedtre

speedtre New Member

Member:
    Inland Northwest
    Vehicle:
    2006 BSM Toyota Tundra DC TRD 4x4
    Very much so....get on it, these trucks in good shape with low mileage don't last.

BubbaW likes this.
  10. Feb 9, 2020 at 7:20 AM
    Darkness

Darkness Allergic to white

Member:
    First Name:
    Luis
    All over SoCal
    Vehicle:
    The darkest
    It's really dark
    That's a suspicious amount of black paint. Its everywhere, even the leaf springs are heavily coated which makes me think it was done prior to sale posting. The muffler was replaced too. Inspect carefully.

11. Feb 9, 2020 at 1:56 PM
    Dog

Dog sit!

Member:
    Rocky Mountain high...
    Vehicle:
    2006 SR5 AC 4x4 TRD-OR
    No doubt. Typically you have less than 48 hours to act on trucks like that. There are a BUNCH of Tundra-crazy buyers out there (like us...) :thumbsup:

Last edited: Feb 9, 2020

Products Discussed in

To Top