1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Looking at 00' tundra, not sure if it has tow package

Discussion in '1st Gen Tundras (2000-2006)' started by tx_tundra, Jan 16, 2015.

1. Jan 16, 2015 at 6:28 AM
    tx_tundra

tx_tundra [OP] New Member

Member:
    Found a 00' tundra 4x4 4.7 access cab 140k miles and Im unsure if it has a tow package. It states 7100lbs on a distribution hitch but, there's no frame hitch on this truck. It does have a engine oil cooler though?? Looked at a 04' sr5 to compare it states distribution hitch 5,000, has a frame hitch and no mention of a engine oil cooler.

Any help is appreciated.

2. Jan 16, 2015 at 7:52 AM
    Roman

Roman Toyota Parts Master Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Roman
    Franklin, TN
    Shoot me the VIN and I'll double check it for you.

3. Mar 17, 2015 at 1:29 AM
    Rkcruza

Rkcruza New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tundra AC 4WD TRD OR SR5
    De Badged / Decaled, Firestone Ride Rite Air Bags w/ Daystar Cups, 17" Rims, Big Brake kit w/ slotted & drilled rotors, plus lots of work related stuff.
    1st Gen V-8 Auto was rated at 7200# 2wd or 7100# 4wd, the "Tow Package" was simply a hitch rated for the weight and a semi-functional 7 pin connector. You could use a 7-4 pin adapter for trailer lights, but if you wanted to run electric brakes you had to run all of the wiring yourself including tapping into the harness under the dash as they did not provide a plug in for the electric brake controller. (might of had a bigger battery etc, but I am looking at the 2002 Tundra Brochure and it does not say anything about needing the "Tow Package" to handle the listed weight (the brochure for my new Taco actually lists different weight ratings with or without the factory tow package).

Last edited: Mar 17, 2015
  4. Mar 17, 2015 at 10:38 PM
    Rkcruza

Rkcruza New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tundra AC 4WD TRD OR SR5
    De Badged / Decaled, Firestone Ride Rite Air Bags w/ Daystar Cups, 17" Rims, Big Brake kit w/ slotted & drilled rotors, plus lots of work related stuff.
    Looked at my Tundra today...it does appear to have the mini oil cooler under the oil filter like the one that came on my new taco. It also has a pretty good sized tranny cooler. For some reason I think the coolers and such came with the TRD OR package back in the day, but it was a long time ago so I'm not sure that having the tranny cooler and the oil cooler means it came with the "Tow Package"...the coolers may have been standard on all early Tundras...not sure on that one.

5. Mar 20, 2016 at 6:44 PM
    Bstrom

Bstrom New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2003 Tundra 2WD 5-Speed
    I've got one of those 'coolers' on my Miata - it circulates coolant at the filter and goes around the TB too. Dunno if its an oil cooler or simply keeps the oil at a constant temp like the coolant. Prolly only doing a lot of good in pretty cold climes to prevent icing, etc.

To Top