1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Longtime Tacoma owner...maybe future Tundra owner.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by mgh-pa, May 19, 2015.

1. May 19, 2015 at 9:40 AM
    mgh-pa

mgh-pa [OP] Perpetually a New Member.

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra DC SR5
    I've been a member over on TTORA since 2004 and TW since 2009. I had a 1996 Tacoma that I built up and wheeled (was also my DD through college):

truck_71c220c38203f90a6d813ff96dd9c3d13a67785e.jpg

I sold that shortly after graduation and getting a job for something more practical.

softtop_4de6baae76e1812b699ae95b5bdcc664cf73d5f0.jpg

I currently have 152k miles on the 05 above. We are currently expecting our first child, and while my wife's 4runner will serve primary carrying duties, I really am not keen on fitting a car seat in the my truck. I will be using it daily with the kid, even if it's only for short commutes. I have also really wanted a bigger bed and the ability to tow a TT that will be in our future in the next two years or so.

My problem is that my truck is paid for, and my wife's 4runner has a year left. I don't really want anymore payments, but with the mileage I have and our needs as the years go by, I'm just delaying the inevitable.

So, you may see me around asking some questions about models, specs, mileage, etc., :D

2. May 19, 2015 at 9:56 AM
    mdavis

mdavis I need a beer.

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Rock Hill, SC
    Welcome to the forum. I too am expecting my first child in August! My wife (and friends who have kids) talked me into the crew max for the room. They say I will need it. I absolutely love my 15 and do not feel it was a mistake at all. Although I had a lot of equity in my trade in so I was able to keep my payments pretty low on the new one. Feel free to ask any questions you'd like. Lots of nice knowledgeable people here.

3. May 19, 2015 at 10:19 AM
    csuviper

csuviper Moderator Staff Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Broomfield, CO
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Sport CM 5.7L 4X4
    Some Mods :) See build thread for details
    I was in the same boat as you when my son was born in 2012. I had a 2007 Tacoma Access cab like you and had to put the car seat in the back. It is very tight and not that practical because the front seat has to be moved forward almost all the way, making it hard for most to sit in the front. Also hard to see the kid in the seat and respond to their needs. I eventually just moved the car seat into the front seat and turned off the air bag. Much easier that way but in turn there wasn't room for anyone else except squeezing behind me in the back. Less room behind the car seat in the passenger seat.

I chose to move to a crewmax for the room in the cab. Very pleased with that decision. There is so much room. Plenty of room for the wife, son and two dogs. He is almost 3 now and i have him forward facing in the middle of the back which allows two adults (or two dogs) to join him in the back.

The bed space in the crewmax only 6" shorter than your Tacoma but ~1' wider. You wont realize that its smaller because overall its actually bigger.

My wife had payments on her vehicle and my Tacoma was paid off. What i did was sold my Tacoma private party and applied that money to pay off my wife's vehicle so then i would only have one payment for my new Tundra. The remaining amount after paying off the wife's vehicle went toward down payment on the Tundra and lift/tires.
    Might be the best idea for you to avoid two car payments.

4. May 19, 2015 at 10:30 AM
    T-Rex266

T-Rex266 Elon approved Staff Member

Member:
    Welcome!
    I had a DCSB Taco, and even that wasn't enough room for one kid, IMO (car seats can be big!)
    I traded that in for the DC...well, our oldest was growing, and there was less room in the back, and we planned a second child ....
    I traded the DC in for a new CM and it has a TON of interior room! You would be better off with a CM for your first, and any other future children you might have. That, and you still have plenty of room for passengers.

5. May 19, 2015 at 11:04 AM
    mgh-pa

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra DC SR5
    Thanks, everyone. I like the cremax for cab room, but I know I haul A LOT of things (my Tacoma has been worked) and I'm not sure the length would cut it for me. Definitely something to consider.

Is the DC Tundra still pretty tight with a car seat?

6. May 19, 2015 at 11:29 AM
    Burntice

Burntice New Member

Member:
    I can relate to you. I purchased my Taco new in 2011 at the time my children were ages 4 & 2. Now that my oldest is 8 and seeing how uncomfortable she was riding in the back seat I decided to upgrade to a 2011 Crewmax Platinum. I love and miss my Taco but I know I now have a truck that will meet all my needs and will last long after they have graduated and moved on.
    I did have some concerns on the shorter bed but decided if it came to it I could buy a trailer The challenges of the narrow Taco will not be much more than 6 inches shorter in length of my Crewmax.

Good Luck!

7. May 19, 2015 at 11:30 AM
    chphilo

chphilo Tundra addict

Member:
    Western PA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Toyota Tundra TRD 5.7 4x4 CM
    Welcome to the forum.

We get quite a number of members in various different forums regretting not getting a CM after they try to fit baby seat in the truck, etc. I think it also depends on how tall your are. If you are relatively short and could live with seat pulled forward, DC is workable. If you are uncomfortable doing that, get a CM. Then you get the sliding rear window (the whole window slides up and down just like the side windows), which makes loading troublesome items manageable. Anything bigger, you could get a trailer.

8. May 19, 2015 at 1:00 PM
    FunkinTundra

FunkinTundra New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tundra 5.7 CM
    OME614 full suspension\ Ekstrom design 3" shackles and poly bushing kit\ 295/70r18 Toyo MTs/ +20 offset Fuel Anzas\ 8" BAmuffler....etc...
    Welcome from NV!! Nice lookin tacos you had/have there!

9. May 20, 2015 at 4:11 AM
    mgh-pa

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra DC SR5
    Thanks, everyone. Definitely have some time to consider. It will take a lot of convincing to get me back into payments, but I can see a need for a larger truck in the near future. Hope to get some great information from everyone.

Products Discussed in

To Top