1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Longevity and replacing 5.29 gears on a new truck

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Tundras (2014-2021)' started by Marshwalker, Feb 20, 2020.

1. Feb 20, 2020 at 6:16 AM
    Marshwalker

Marshwalker [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Z
    I am home on wheels at the moment and looking to upgrade the drivability of my truck. I have an OME lift with 275’s. Weight of camper and wanting to go to 35’s I feel 5.29 gears is going to be very helpful. I have 44,000 miles on truck. Would regear help with overall lasting of truck drive train? I’m hoping to get 150,000 out of this rig. Living in CO with mountains and passes. Gears would be a great asset. It’s hard to offset the cost with mileage loss right now, but curious if it would help truck last longer. Anyone have any real world reviews of their regear?

thanks guys. Love this forum

Zach

[​IMG]

Bigboitundra likes this.
  2. Feb 20, 2020 at 6:36 AM
    GravityGear

GravityGear Parking Lot Prerunner

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora, CO
    Vehicle:
    2014 Black DC TSS Off Road 4x4 5.7
    Transfer Flow tank, Pinstripe Suit
    When you add enough permanent weight, a re-gear will help preserve the durability of the drive train. Things will be working easier due to the lower gearing. I've heard of some people having trans issues running huge lifts and huge wheel/tire combos. I forget who it is, but his lift and wheel/tire combo ended up blasting the trans. Re-gear will also help you get back some of your lost mpg due to weight adders. Any sluggish acceleration will also be addressed.

Marshwalker[OP] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top