1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Line X questions from a dude that hasn't done Line X before

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Tundras (2014-2021)' started by panicman, Apr 27, 2024.

1. Apr 27, 2024 at 12:52 AM
    panicman

panicman [OP] Everyone remain calm.

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5 CM TRDoffroad MGM
    My 2018 bed has taken some beatings. I kept it clean, but used the truck bed as a truck bed should be- and I always planned to get it protected once my abuses resulted in shit that wouldn't buff out, and we are there. It's time.

I read up, but the most recent posts are getting old. Wondering if advice has evolved any.

I would plan on Line X, as that coating has been the most widely used and commented on. I would opt for the UV protective additive. I would request that bed hardware be removed prior to coating, like the major bolts, bed rails, etc...

Is there anything else I am missing? Anything I should ask for or specify?

I would plan to use the Line X Vendor in Clackamas (Oregon), as they have been doing this for decades. Any advice from any locals?

Last edited: Apr 27, 2024
  2. Apr 27, 2024 at 3:55 AM
    ChrisLopez

ChrisLopez New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Christian
    Chicago,Illinois
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra SR5 TRD off road Crew max
    I just did it a few months back. Highly recommend the premium va standard. Looks great

panicman[OP] likes this.
  3. Apr 27, 2024 at 4:26 AM
    Crunch527

Crunch527 Brute Force and Ignorance

Member:
    Iowa
    TRD Supercharger/BAM
    Not really a big issue here. If they have been doing this for years like you said, then just take it in and have them do the Linex. I have a 2014 that I had done when new and the Linex is still holding up fine. Get the UV variant or whatever equivalent there is now.

panicman[OP] likes this.
  4. Apr 27, 2024 at 5:01 AM
    Toyotoholic

Toyotoholic -4Life-

Member:
    First Name:
    Jmz
    Vehicle:
    17' MGM
    Pro suspension, sways
    Most all places will stop the coating at the flat of the back of the bed and the sides, same for the tailgate. I specifically asked to coat the "crotch" of the bed and tailgate, as well as the corner "crotch" of the bed and tailgate. This area is where any and all shit that you might load into the bed will hit or fall. The guy questioned me when I asked, but then realized that it makes sense! This way if you ever take your tailgate off, the vertical surface of your bed down to the bumper is coated as well as inside of the tail lights. So if you're pushing anything big into the bed, nothing will hit paint. A pic of mine for reference:
    PXL_20240106_170824267~3.jpg

It only needs a thin coat but it's nice to have those areas protected.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2024
  5. May 18, 2024 at 6:10 PM
    panicman

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    I'm back! I got the quote for the premium and it's about what I expected $700-ish.

However, when I asked if they would remove all of the hardware, they said they would remove everything, but not the bed bolts.

I thought most people left the bed to frame bolts uncoated?

Anyone?

6. May 18, 2024 at 6:28 PM
    Ponderosa_Pine

Ponderosa_Pine

Member:
    Northwest
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tundra Cement DC
    Magnuson Supercharged, Dobinson Lift, 315/70r17 on Rockwarriors, Heftyfab bumper, Dirty Deeds 3” race exhaust
    Yeah that’s unusual, my two tundras that were linexd had the bolts removed. It’s actually just a big T55 bit I think and they can just unbolt with a ratchet. 700$ for premium is a good deal, mine wasn’t much less in 2021.

IMG_1961.jpg

7. May 18, 2024 at 6:40 PM
    NatesNightMare

NatesNightMare Is what it is

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Pinetop Az
    Vehicle:
    2018 Midnight black tundra S/C
    Pro comp 7", 35" tires, method wheels, brush guard, light bar, roof rack, pedal commander, magnuson 2650 supercharger
  8. May 18, 2024 at 7:09 PM
    d33pt

d33pt New Member

Member:
    When mine got coated, they didn't remove the bed bolts either. When the bed needed to be removed for collision repair, I had to cut around the bolts for the bed to come out. When put back, it didn't look as nice. So I'd ask them to take off the bed bolts before lining in the future.

panicman[OP] likes this.
  9. May 18, 2024 at 7:26 PM
    2mchfun

2mchfun Yeah it'll pull it, just don't expect to stop!

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    2021 White 4x4 CM Trail Ed. 2018 White 4x4 4Runner SR5 Premium
    Seat covers, dash mat, ext. Trans. Cooler, sumo springs, oem pwr fld tow mirrors
    Take out bed bolts yourself on site??

panicman[OP] likes this.
  10. May 18, 2024 at 11:59 PM
    panicman

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    That's what I'm thinking.

2mchfun likes this.
  11. May 19, 2024 at 6:58 AM
    trucksareforgirls2

trucksareforgirls2 New Member

Member:
    Northeast USA
    Vehicle:
    2020 Voodoo Blue TRD Off-Road
    Same thing here, bolts were removed, and it still looks good after almost 4 years! I think it's probably the "standard" line x vs the premium because I talked the stealership into paying for it if when I bought the truck.

Trucklinx.HEIC.jpg

Last edited: May 19, 2024 at 7:15 AM
    panicman[OP] and Ponderosa_Pine like this.
  12. May 19, 2024 at 7:01 AM
    centex

centex New Member

Member:
    Mine have never been removed in the three trucks I’ve had it done in. Never had an issue with it either. Not like I need to remove the bed often. And if so, a wire wheel makes easy work of stripping it.

panicman[OP] and NomadicFrog like this.
  13. May 19, 2024 at 7:50 AM
    NomadicFrog

NomadicFrog Took 5 yrs, finally got rid of "New Member" here

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Flagstaff, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2003 Tundra SR5 4x4 TRD Off-Road Access Cab
    First mod: Gaffer tape over door lock/unlock beeper
    I'll add another, somewhat funny, reason for gettin' into the "crotches".

The previous owner of my truck had installed a spray-in bedliner, and apparently they had done at least a little bit of what you describe (not all of the vertical, but at least well over the lip).

Went camping deep in the Maze District of Canyonlands. Woke up after a great night of deep sleep to the sun shining on the amazing rock formations...and to my friend, sitting on the tailgate of his 2006 Tundra, head in his hands, with everything that had been inside his truck bed strewn about on the ground around his truck.

Apparently a mouse or mice got into his truck bed while he was sleeping (we both have camper shells and sleep in the back) and he spent most of the night trying to find it/them, get them out, and figure out how they were getting in in the first place.

Turns out the gap between the tailgate and the bed on his truck was big enough for mice to squeeze through – he did not have a bedliner – and the spray-in bedliner on my truck was enough to close the gap sufficiently to prevent mice from getting in.

*Unrelated side note: I was brand new to trucks in general, and my 2003, when I got it in 2018, still looked like it just rolled off the assembly line (it, uh, no longer does). I didn't know how well bedliners held up, and I didn't want to damage anything unnecessarily. So I bought a thick rubber bed mat to put on top of the bedliner to protect it. ;) One of these days I should probably get that unnecessary weight out and get an extra mpg.

Products Discussed in

To Top