1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Light bar ideas?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Sweet6teen, Nov 8, 2019.

1. Jan 12, 2021 at 9:27 PM
    TRDSnowInTX

TRDSnowInTX New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2021 Super White Tundra TRD Pro
    Appreciate the info. Did you follow the instructions for install from SDHQ? Also curious if you have a link to the nilight bar you installed? Love your setup.

2. Jan 13, 2021 at 9:07 AM
    Cthulhu

Cthulhu The White and Black Goat of the Woods

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra Limited CM Premium Package
    Yes I followed the instructions to the last detail. My three lower LED bars are Nilight. The link below is for the hood bulge LED bar. Sorry for the confusion.

LED Light Bar 40 inch - 4WDKING Screwless 200W IP69K Wat... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PYSPF76/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_api_glc_fabc_zIY.FbT5D7K6C?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

TRDSnowInTX[QUOTED] likes this.
  3. Jan 13, 2021 at 9:34 AM
    barza21

barza21 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    oscar
    Vehicle:
    2007 Toyota Tundra TRD
    Hi all,

Just for everybody's info: I purchased a 30" Light bar from Amazon. It was a single row LED described as a "Spot" lens bar and rated at 240W. Since the purchase, the bar has been installed and the light output is disappointing. All the reviews on Amazon described it as "super bright" (a term that I have come to discover is highly subjective: Yes, super bright when pointed at the garage wall 5 feet in front of you). I digress. After doing some driving around in the middle of the night on the highway (I live in AK and the highways are not illuminated in some places), I found this bar to be a let down. First of all, it is not a "Spot" light. The light beam scatters everywhere but towards the front - it is more of a flood light. It is not that bright either. My high beams would reach out further and illuminate more on the side of the road. After I got home from my drive, I used my clamp meter to see how much power it was consuming. It was drawing 9 amps. 13.8v x 9 amps = 124W. As mentioned above, the bar was advertised as a 240W bar.
    Additionally, due to some of the reviewers having issues with condensation, I sealed the bar with clear silicone. This is not an issue for me, but it is annoying to do all that work and then discover that the bar's output is not what advertised.

Yes, you might pay a bit more for a name brand one (there are other good brands out there other than Baja and Rigid), but the light output and the beams of light will be set up correctly. Additionally, not having to deal with moisture issues or having to seal the bar is also a plus. I have done it twice and if I can avoid it, I won't do it again.

Not saying all cheap light bars are bad (in a sense this bar is not, but it doesn't exactly work as advertised), but so far I haven't had great luck with the ones I have purchased.

Just thought I would share my experiences here on this forum.

Oscar

4. Jan 13, 2021 at 10:32 AM
    TRDSnowInTX

TRDSnowInTX New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    Was it nilight or another brand?

5. Jan 13, 2021 at 10:36 AM
    TRDSnowInTX

TRDSnowInTX New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    Thank you so much. I am going to try and do this. It's a bit intimidating with the amount of cutting that has to be done but I feel better seeing that it worked out well for you. I will share after I get everything in.

6. Jan 13, 2021 at 11:05 AM
    barza21

barza21 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    oscar
    Vehicle:
    2007 Toyota Tundra TRD
    The 30" was a DJI light bar (single row) and the one I installed on my wife's car was a 20" "Northpole" Light Bar rated at 126W. When I put a clamp meter on to check my wife's bar, it was only drawing 5 amps (70W). Once again, the bar on her car is also out-shined by her high beams.

TRDSnowInTX[QUOTED] likes this.
  7. Jan 18, 2021 at 1:19 PM
    2020TundraVooDooBlue

2020TundraVooDooBlue New Member

Member:
    This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.

Products Discussed in

To Top