1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Lift, Alignment and UCA's

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Sunkist, Feb 14, 2017.

1. Feb 14, 2017 at 6:52 PM
    Sunkist

Sunkist [OP] New Member

Member:
    Siler City, NC
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra Crewmax SR5
    ESP rear seat storage Rough Country Susp lift 20" Fuel wheels 35" Toyo open country MT Weathertech front/rear floor liners ICI Magnum steps with led's
    I've put about 3k miles on my tundra since I purchased it and haven't been happy with the alignment. I had a wheel bearing go out last week. My dealer replaced it under warranty and did an alignment, but the truck still pulls to the right. It will cross 2 lanes in under 100 yards when you release the steering wheel .
    I've attached a copy of the alignment if anyone can help me decipher it. Hoping new uca's will greatly help out. Wheelers has recommended the light racing uca's, but looking for others opinions .
    I also don't know exactly what lift I have. It's definitely a rough country, but I don't know if it's 4.5 or 6". Maybe someone can tell me what to check/measure? ? ? Later on I'd like to get rid of the rear blocks and install deavers and shackles but for now I just want to get the front end lined up.
    I'm running 35x12.50-20s with no rubbing or other issues except for the alignment .

Did my lift put stress on the wheel bearing causing the failure at such low mileage ?

20170214_203924.jpg

2. Feb 14, 2017 at 7:08 PM
    CM-LENNY

CM-LENNY No Complaints

Member:
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2015 4x4 CrewMax SR5
    PRO shocks, 37's Nitto G2's 4:88 diffs, few other mods
    How many miles on the truck total ? Was the lift on for the life of the truck or not sure ? All this will factor in to wheel bearing life. Also, did the previous owner abuse it. 2014 truck and you have had it for 3K miles. Lots to factor in and the new alignment #'s look pretty good to me.

3. Feb 14, 2017 at 7:42 PM
    Sunkist

Sunkist [OP] New Member

Member:
    Siler City, NC
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra Crewmax SR5
    ESP rear seat storage Rough Country Susp lift 20" Fuel wheels 35" Toyo open country MT Weathertech front/rear floor liners ICI Magnum steps with led's
    13k on the truck now. It was a one owner sold certified and was babied as far as I can tell. The story was a military guy was the owner and due to a transfer to Japan he sold it straight out to the Toyota dealership. He had over 50 photos he had emailed the dealer when working out the sale. No idea at what mileage he did the lift but the tires looked brand new. Don't appear to have ever been off road or abused in any way.

4. Feb 14, 2017 at 7:50 PM
    CM-LENNY

CM-LENNY No Complaints

Member:
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2015 4x4 CrewMax SR5
    PRO shocks, 37's Nitto G2's 4:88 diffs, few other mods
    I'd say with those alignment #'s, maybe look at tire re-balance ? Maybe that's causing the pull ? Good luck my friend.

5. Feb 14, 2017 at 7:52 PM
    Les7311

Les7311 Look up, what do you see

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2008 Blue Tundra TRD 4x4
    Scribed

6. Feb 14, 2017 at 7:52 PM
    joonbug

joonbug °°°°°°°°°°

Member:
    First Name:
    Joon
    NorCal - Dublin
    Vehicle:
    2020 Long Travel DC
    What did the shop say about your SAI being out of spec. From my understanding the SAI isn't adjustable. If it's out of spec, something maybe loose or bent.

7. Feb 14, 2017 at 8:02 PM
    Vizsla

Vizsla ☠️☠️☠️

Member:
    Assuming it is a reputable alignment shop, you probably need uca's. Camber should be as close to 0.0 as possible. Caster needs to be greater on the right than left, it will pull towards the side with less caster, so you basically want the opposite of what you have(need more on right due to road crown), 2.0 left 2.3 right caster would be ok. That said your caster is low, so more than likely it is aligned to save tire wear(you will see uneven wear at your current setting), and is as good as it gets. Once lifted, Tundras fight having more caster on the right. Toyota compensates for pulling with a camber split, but I have never met any alignment tech that felt the need to venture that direction.

Hattori and jberry813 like this.
  8. Feb 15, 2017 at 9:41 AM
    Sunkist

Sunkist [OP] New Member

Member:
    Siler City, NC
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra Crewmax SR5
    You have a recommendation? Light Racing? Total Chaos ?

9. Feb 20, 2017 at 5:52 AM
    Sunkist

Sunkist [OP] New Member

Member:
    Siler City, NC
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra Crewmax SR5
    Anyone else want to look at my alignment numbers and offer some advice? Just rotated tires and no difference. Still pulling to the right.

10. Feb 20, 2017 at 6:18 AM
    ej63090

ej63090 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    McHenry, Illinois
    Vehicle:
    2017 White Crewmax SR5
    SPC's are essentially stock replacements that allow for greater range when aligning. These will require no additional maintenance.

TC's are going to give you similar flexibility in alignment, but will also add additional travel, which will aid in off-roading and when encountering bumps in the road. These will require additional maintenance over time.

11. Feb 20, 2017 at 7:41 AM
    T-Rex266

T-Rex266 Elon approved Staff Member

Member:
  12. Feb 23, 2017 at 7:18 AM
    jberry813

jberry813 The Mad Scientist Staff Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Lake Tahoe
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra Platinum, 2012 Tacoma, 2007 T4R
    Metric shit ton of parts
    @Vizsla nailed it. You should have about 1/4 degree more positive caster and camber on the right (passenger) side to compensate for road crown. And you have the opposite.

I'm personally a fan of uniball UCAs over ball joint UCAs. A uniball is not a sealed joint like a ball joint, but it's way stronger and allowes for more droop than a ball joint. But the maintenance is remedial at best. It's pretty easy: when your balls get dirty, wash them with water.

Your SAI and included angle (included angle is just SAI+camber) are completely out of whack because you have a drop bracket lift. This moves the entire LCA lower while the UCA remains in the factory location. The angle between the ball joints is reduced as a result. There is no remedy to this other than removing the DB lift.

13. Feb 23, 2017 at 7:22 AM
    jberry813

jberry813 The Mad Scientist Staff Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Lake Tahoe
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra Platinum, 2012 Tacoma, 2007 T4R
    Metric shit ton of parts
    Alternatively you could move to the U.K. or Australia and your truck would probably track perfect.

Nic146 and CM-LENNY like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top