1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Level Lift vs 6" Pro Comp Stage 2 - Ride/Handling Better?

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by pconnornc, Dec 9, 2014.

1. Dec 9, 2014 at 3:20 PM
    pconnornc

pconnornc [OP] New Member

Member:
    Just put my $'s down on a Tundra CrewMax 4x4, now I'm trying to finalize the wheels while the truck is being shipped.

I am either going w/ the Pro Comp Level Lift w/ 20" rims and 33" tires or the Pro Comp Stage 2 6" lift with 20" rims and 35" tires.

Big difference in cost, but the dealer told me the 6" lift w/ the coil overs would actually ride/handle better than just going w/ the level lift. Any thoughts there?

Marco likes this.
  2. Dec 9, 2014 at 6:46 PM
    TruckyTruck

TruckyTruck Dumbest Username

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Texas
    Are you comfortable cutting the frame of your truck? Will you take the truck on any inclines where you need a lower center of gravity? These are the big questions other than cost. The 6 inch does nothing for function, only looks.

3. Dec 10, 2014 at 7:59 AM
    chphilo

chphilo Tundra addict

Member:
    Western PA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Toyota Tundra TRD 5.7 4x4 CM
    Your dealer might be right if you compare block leveling kit with coil over lift. But then again, block is cheapest and worst way to lift anyway. Rather than blocks, go for the suspension upgrade like Bilstein 5100 or OME lift. If you enjoy fiddling around with suspension after it's installed, go with King/Fox/Icon.

As long as you don't do any serious off-roading, 6 inch lift looks sweet. But when functionality is of utmost importance (like Baja trucks or racing trucks) no one goes for huge lift. Small lift they get is sort of like a byproduct of suspension upgrade.

4. Dec 10, 2014 at 1:47 PM
    pconnornc

pconnornc [OP] New Member

Member:
    No extreme off roading, maybe some rough back roads and such. I definitely won't be doing to cutting, but the dealer described how they cut/reinforced in the installation. No serious inclines either.

I get the looks part - and the 6" does look really good, but I was intrigued by the handling a 6" lift being "better" than a 2.5" level lift.

I'm also wanting to get it done at purchase so everything is under warranty.

Marco likes this.
  5. Dec 10, 2014 at 4:04 PM
    TruckyTruck

TruckyTruck Dumbest Username

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Texas
    If a 6 inch lift is done on your truck, the frame gets cut... you could have them do coilovers for 3 inches or readylift makes a 4 inch lift that your frame won't get cut. Handling wont be any better than a 2 inch lift... probably the same or worse.

6. Dec 10, 2014 at 5:49 PM
    csuviper

csuviper Moderator Staff Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Broomfield, CO
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Sport CM 5.7L 4X4
    Some Mods :) See build thread for details
    Ride should be the same with 3" and 6" coilover lifts. Higher center of gravity on 6" will worsen the handling.

Ron Burgundy likes this.
  7. May 16, 2015 at 8:02 AM
    gb steel

gb steel New Member

Member:
    nor cal
    Like any brand of truck, the higher you go, the higher center of gravity. You do get a tipsy feeling at first when you go around sharp corners but after a while you get used to it and you realize that your really not gonna flip over. I personally have had lifted trucks pretty much my whole driving life. You just use common sense and your better judgement and you should be fine. As for ride quality, my Tundra and Silverado ride just like it came. The Silverado uses the OEM torsion bar and Tundra uses the OEM coilover. So, the ride itself remaines the same. One thing I did notice and it really does make a huge difference is rim size. I used to run 20's and when I switched back to 17's on my Chevy, the ride quality changed dramatically, for the better. I, personally, will not run the oversize rim thing. IMHO, more tire/less rim is better for a truck. Of course the Tundra runs on 18's and with the 37's, the ride is quite smooth. Little noisy with the mud terrains but bareable.

Products Discussed in

To Top