1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Let's Talk About The Longest Lasting Travel Trailers

Discussion in 'Towing & Hauling' started by onesojourner, Apr 21, 2021.

1. Feb 12, 2022 at 8:21 AM
    Cpl_Punishment

Cpl_Punishment Young men never die.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rosy
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM SR5 CM 4X4
    Boost Auto mirrors, RSB, Leer Legend canopy, Line-X bed liner
    I think I only found one Lance that would work for us and it was at least $5k more than the Grand Design I was looking at.

2. Feb 12, 2022 at 8:22 AM
    Mattedfred

Mattedfred Toyota Fan Boy Since ‘04

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    Cambridge, Ontario Canada
    Vehicle:
    2023 SR5 TRD Sport DC 4X4 in MGM
    TRD Skid Plate/Running Boards, Bison Soft Rollup Tonneau, Thule Canoe Rack, Bedmat, Tailgate Black Insert Badge, Northwest Seat Covers Neoprene Custom Fit Front Row Seat Covers. Tailgate Mat
    Ok. Those Grand Design’s are very nice also. Good luck buddy!

Cpl_Punishment likes this.
  3. Feb 12, 2022 at 9:43 AM
    Retired...finally

Retired...finally Utilizing that doctorate of procrastinatory arts

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    2021 Barcelona Red SR5 Crewmax
    Custom bug spat pattern hood, grill & bumper. Dead Live Oak leaf collection under hood, cowl and lower fenders. Beach sand custom floor covering.
    I agree. A few in the park with us and get the same story from all the owners. No problems and they love them. They look better the the potato I'm in too.

4. Feb 13, 2022 at 4:43 AM
    Retired...finally

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    Custom bug spat pattern hood, grill & bumper. Dead Live Oak leaf collection under hood, cowl and lower fenders. Beach sand custom floor covering.
    Do the better trailers also have better appliances? Many trailers use the same refrigerators, ovens, AC units, water pumps, water heaters, windows, awnings doors etc. Woke up this morning and we have no hot water. Grrrrr. Works on LP but not electric. Owned the 23RSS for 6 months now and been living in it four of those 6. Baby moon hubcaps rusting even after waxing, print wearing off the stovetop and oven knobs, friction hinge door needing lube and on and on.
    Here's how the warranty works. Take your trailer to any authorized dealer. They file a warranty claim. You wait for a reply. If the manufacturer appoves, the parts are ordered. Then you wait.
    I'm leaving here April 1st stopping at the dealer 1 hour north on my way home. File a warranty claim on everything I can find wrong and tell them I'll be back on Oct 1st for the repairs.

5. Feb 13, 2022 at 4:49 AM
    Mattedfred

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    Vehicle:
    TRD Skid Plate/Running Boards, Bison Soft Rollup Tonneau, Thule Canoe Rack, Bedmat, Tailgate Black Insert Badge, Northwest Seat Covers Neoprene Custom Fit Front Row Seat Covers. Tailgate Mat
    I'd say that it depends. I find most fridges are Dometics no matter the size or type. Maybe some Dometics are better than others?

We're just hoping that if we stick with well built, reliable and more expensive trailers that they haven't cheaped out on components from suppliers since that would tarnish their reputation.

Have you checked your breaker/fuse panel? I also think there might be a relay on the water heater that can cause problems. Good luck!

6. Feb 13, 2022 at 5:36 AM
    Retired...finally

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    I just had a cup of coffee and my lovely wife announced she had hot water. :confused: As far as I'm concerned she fixed it.:)

7. Feb 13, 2022 at 5:51 AM
    Retired...finally

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    You may be correct about some appliances being of a higher quality made by the same brand. Buying a trailer and paying 2 or 3X the price of what I paid and having the same issues just doesn't seem like a good business model. Makes one wish Toyota would built travel trailers.

8. Feb 13, 2022 at 10:41 AM
    Mattedfred

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    Vehicle:
    If you're talking about any camper then I would say that one can easily find several manufacturers who have been producing sub-par units for a very long time.
    If you're talking about the higher end segment of camper sales then I would tend to agree. That's why I feel more research is necessary when dealing with a new product. However, neither the manufacturer or the basic design are completely new in this case. Still, I agree that there are many pros and cons that require careful consideration.
    Respectfully, I disagree that you "will not lose (sp) money" on an Airstream. In a normal market and based on the typical length of ownership, you will not lose as much as other brands, but an Airstream is not an appreciating asset.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2022
    Retired...finally likes this.
  9. Feb 13, 2022 at 11:02 AM
    El Two

El Two I’m only talking to my dog today.

Member:
    First Name:
    Lisa
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5 Crewmax TRD Off Road
    How much time do you have? . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .......... Eaton rear eLocker, Camburg 1.5” shackles, Rear Seat Delete, S&B CAI, sPOD, Air Bag Helpers w/ Daystar Cradles, RCI engine & fuel tank skid plates, ABS Guards, Job Box Storage, Tailgate Power Lock, Desert Eagle Offroad tranny/cat security skid plate, Added Driver’s Side Grab Handle, VLEDS Footwell & Step Lighting, Anytime Front Camera, Illuminated Ignition Ring, Console Molle Panel, Sound Dampening in Ceiling/Doors/Floor, Yakima Rack, Paracord Grab Handle Wraps, BD Underhood Light, Tuffy Console Safe Insert, WeBoost System, Midland GMRS Radio, Console Interior Lighting, Power Inverter, Custom Center Switch Panel, and Dual Air Compressors
    advertised tongue weight is 550lbs. I have not taken this trailer to the scales to measure it fully loaded. I installed Firestone air bags to help level out the truck. Works great. I found that I used the air bags a lot when hooking up the trailer also. Many times it was easier/quicker to raise or lower the back of the truck than it was to crank the handle on the trailer tongue jack.

The tank sizes have worked well for us (me, husband, & 3 dogs). The longest we stayed off grid so far is 9 days and had 25% fresh water remaining. The trailer comes stock with four tanks as follows:

60 gal general water tank
    16 gal drinking water tank
    26 gal gray tank
    26 gal black tank.

To explain the general & drinking water, the general water tank feeds the sinks, shower, and toilet. The drinking water tank only feeds an isolated spigot on the kitchen faucet. The kitchen faucet has two handles and two outputs - one connected to the general tank, the other connected to the drinking water tank (Hope this is making sense). The thinking behind the dual fresh water tank design is that water could be siphoned from a lake or stream into the general water tank for use while keeping the drinking water completely isolated and safe to consume.

We did things a little different to give us the ability to stay off grid for longer periods. The stock toilet was swapped out for a Wrappon Green dry toilet (https://www.amazon.com/S-E-Technologies-Ltd-USA-Portable/dp/B00LMM5SXE?ie=UTF8). Really, really like not having to dump/rinse a black tank. The dealer tied the black and gray tanks together giving us 52 gals total of gray tank capacity. The dry toilet also means we conserve a lot of water.

Warreng and Mattedfred[QUOTED] like this.
  10. Feb 13, 2022 at 11:11 AM
    Mattedfred

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    Vehicle:
    Thanks so much for all of the feedback! That drinking water aspect sounds like an excellent idea and your dry toilet and grey/black tank combo too!
    I just wish the largest one had a lower tongue weight!
    TFL Studios is currently reviewing an HQ19. The host stated that they were designed in Australia (which I knew), partially manufactured in China (which I did not know) then final assembly for the North American market is in California (which I knew).

Last edited: Feb 13, 2022
    El Two[QUOTED] likes this.
  11. Feb 13, 2022 at 11:23 AM
    El Two

Member:
    First Name:
    Lisa
    Vehicle:
    How much time do you have? . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .......... Eaton rear eLocker, Camburg 1.5” shackles, Rear Seat Delete, S&B CAI, sPOD, Air Bag Helpers w/ Daystar Cradles, RCI engine & fuel tank skid plates, ABS Guards, Job Box Storage, Tailgate Power Lock, Desert Eagle Offroad tranny/cat security skid plate, Added Driver’s Side Grab Handle, VLEDS Footwell & Step Lighting, Anytime Front Camera, Illuminated Ignition Ring, Console Molle Panel, Sound Dampening in Ceiling/Doors/Floor, Yakima Rack, Paracord Grab Handle Wraps, BD Underhood Light, Tuffy Console Safe Insert, WeBoost System, Midland GMRS Radio, Console Interior Lighting, Power Inverter, Custom Center Switch Panel, and Dual Air Compressors
    Me too! Like I said earlier, I really, really wanted the HQ19 with the larger fridge, larger dinette, oven, and washing machine. But it’s all about trade offs. As much as it pains me to admit it, the HQ15 is a better fit for the type of places we visit. It can make switchbacks and navigate through trees where the HQ19 would have struggled. We traded the “nice to haves” for capability. The lower cost wasn’t a bad thing either.

Mattedfred[QUOTED] likes this.
  12. Feb 13, 2022 at 11:35 AM
    shawn474

shawn474 Lego connoisseur

Member:
    MoCo, Maryland
    Vehicle:
    2019 Cement Tundra crew max TRD Off Road

Check your fuses ; they tend to blow easily on hot water heaters.

13. Feb 13, 2022 at 11:42 AM
    El Two

Member:
    First Name:
    Lisa
    Vehicle:
    I see you’re located in the great white north. Another option that might be a better fit for you is the Xplore from Imperial Outdoors. They make an off-road trailer that’s very well built but that quality doesn’t come cheap. The X22 Xplore is a four season trailer advertised to handle -40f. You can even put a roof top tent on top for kids and visitors. I’ve seen these trailers in person. They’re really nice, excellent quality, and very sturdy. I might have gone with one of these but I didn’t know about them at the time we bought the HQ15.

You can check them out here - https://imperial-outdoors.com/

edit - and the advertised tongue weight is 420lbs.

14. Feb 13, 2022 at 11:49 AM
    Retired...finally

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    Mine has breakers and it was OK. I'm beginning to suspect operator error.:monocle:
    Someone going from a fast recovery 50 gallon water heater to a 6 gallon water heater takes some adjustment. :annoyed:

Cpl_Punishment and Mattedfred like this.
  15. Feb 13, 2022 at 11:56 AM
    Mattedfred

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for that. I had discovered the Xplore sometime last year. That toilet was a deal breaker for the Director or Domestic Affairs. We don't need a true off-road capable travel trailer. We just want something that we don't have to worry about when driving down hilly, bumpy gravel roads that aren't in the best shape. We love the look or Airstreams but the one con for me is how relaxed I will feel the first time we have to take it down a gravel road.

El Two[QUOTED] likes this.
  16. Feb 13, 2022 at 11:57 AM
    Mattedfred

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    Vehicle:
    There you go then. That's probably it. I've found that our 6 gal water heater heats up way faster using propane than it does when using electricity.

17. Feb 13, 2022 at 12:14 PM
    Mattedfred

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    Vehicle:
  18. Feb 13, 2022 at 1:12 PM
    Cpl_Punishment

Member:
    First Name:
    Rosy
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM SR5 CM 4X4
  19. Feb 13, 2022 at 2:29 PM
    slowpokepete

slowpokepete New No More

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Hillsdale, NY
    Vehicle:
    2007 Blue Tundra DC 4x4 SR5
    8,000lb gvwr trailer with 420lb tongue weight?

I'm pretty sure tongue weight needs to be at least 10% (more like 10-15%) or there's gonna be sway problems.

SPP

20. Feb 13, 2022 at 3:58 PM
    2021 Semi Pro

2021 Semi Pro New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Vehicle:
    2021 MGM ,CM, SR5
    Clean slate
    My project trailer, 1978 airstream.
    bought it with interior stripped , labor of love. We have camped in it from day one. Whatever stage it was in we used it and had a blast. Still not finished. Picture taken before owning my Tundra. I will not be pulling it till my trans cooler is installed. A69CAF2B-85D7-41DF-8488-74565E7C6EEA.jpg

21. Feb 13, 2022 at 4:03 PM
    Mattedfred

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    Vehicle:
    That is beautiful! Jealous!

2021 Semi Pro likes this.
  22. Feb 13, 2022 at 4:24 PM
    Retired...finally

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    That just oozes of elbow grease.

23. Feb 22, 2022 at 4:36 AM
    Mattedfred

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    Vehicle:
    @Cpl_Punishment I've forgotten if any of us have brought of Northwood's Arctic Fox or Nash model lines. Most of them have slides, I know they have a good reputation and they have a dealer out West.

Cpl_Punishment likes this.
  24. Feb 22, 2022 at 5:11 AM
    Cpl_Punishment

Member:
    First Name:
    Rosy
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM SR5 CM 4X4
    I think Nash was on my list to check out but I haven't gotten there yet. Thanks!

25. Feb 22, 2022 at 5:28 AM
    Retired...finally

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    I see a few 5th wheels mentioned for Nash. Couldn't quite make out the weights. Hmmm.

26. Feb 22, 2022 at 5:34 AM
    Mattedfred

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    Vehicle:
  27. Feb 22, 2022 at 6:27 AM
    Retired...finally

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    Isn't that a game of dodge and deflection. I wonder how to tell if a frame was made by Lippert?

28. Feb 22, 2022 at 6:38 AM
    Mattedfred

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    Vehicle:
    In my opinion, if he had lawyered up I would imagine he may have been able to get somewhere with either his dealer, Keystone or Lippert. However, and sadly, the less expensive option was likely the one he chose.

If buying new, I would assume the dealer or manufacturer would be able to confirm the frame supplier. Otherwise, perhaps Lippert stamps or applies stickers to their frames. I can't recall.

29. Feb 22, 2022 at 6:42 AM
    YankeeRon

YankeeRon New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    East Windsor, CT
    Vehicle:
    2021 SR Long Bed
    Cat Security shield, rear headliner molding, BlackVue dash cam, DS grab handle, rear under seat storage, door edge molding, cal trend seat covers, sway bars, hard bed cover, rubber bed mat, intermittent wipers
    Just picked up our Casita 17' Liberty down in Rice Tx on the 2nd of February. This is our second one - sold the first when we needed a larger one as the kids got bigger. Now it's just my wife, me, and the two dogs, so I wouldn't buy any other trailer. If you take care of these, they'll last well over 20 years and look as good as when they were new. I've seen 15 year old Casita's selling for more than their purchase price. Easy to pull - all the modern conveniences you'd expect, just in a smaller package that doesn't give you any "pants wetting" experiences when towing. Tracks like a little puppy dog behind you, even in full brake lock-up. If you live in New England and want to see one, PM me and we'll gladly show you ours...

Ron

[​IMG]

twotrack, Warreng, ArcticEd and 3 others like this.
  30. Feb 22, 2022 at 7:00 AM
    Retired...finally

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    20220222_090254.jpg
    Stickers it is. I just found mine. Our Gulfstream is different than the one in the video as his was welded to the bottom of the main frame. Mine is on the same level an intercepts the frame on the inside vertical surface instead of the lower horizontal surface. No reason I can see that makes one design better or worse than the other.

Products Discussed in

To Top