1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Laptop recommendations

Discussion in 'Technology' started by T-Rex266, Nov 19, 2020.

1. Nov 20, 2020 at 12:30 PM
    Breathing Borla

Breathing Borla I'd rather be fishing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2023 Tundra Platinum 4x4 Crewmax
    well said..

I didn't mean to start a Mac vs PC either, just saying I prefer Mac and when I do buy windows, surface pro is the way to go for us

furthermore, its tough to compare specs of PC vs Mac since they are running 100% different operating systems. mOS to me is just more stable either-way, from entry level up to the top of line.

if you like Mac, spacing out a top of the line windows machine to compare is missing the point, if you like Mac, you like mOS, not the specs per se.

RainMan_PNW likes this.
  2. Nov 20, 2020 at 12:57 PM
    GreatBigAbyss

GreatBigAbyss New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra CrewMAX SR5 TRD Off-Road
    Sorry, I didn't mean to jump down anybody's throat.

I suppose if you like chocca-mocha double soy latte's, wearing plaid shirts ironically, and neck-beards, then yeah, I guess MacBooks are a superior choice! ;):boink::p

Cpl_Punishment likes this.
  3. Nov 20, 2020 at 1:12 PM
    glowblue

glowblue From time to time

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tundra SR5 —> 2021 F-250 XLT
    I won’t debate the Mac vs Windows issue, everyone has their preference. From The sound of what the OP is going to use it for I’d recommend one of the new MacBook Air models with the M1 chip. Great display and very affordable.

If your set on a Windows laptop, Dell XPS has always been my go to model. Bought my son one for college and it’s been great.

Whatever you get, make sure it has an external transmission cooler... :crapstorm:

4. Nov 20, 2020 at 1:17 PM
    Sundog

Sundog Zoom Zoom

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    MNSP
    Vehicle:
    2014 Red CM Tundra
    Questions for the OP:

Pure laptop or do you want it to function as a workstation also?

Only need one hard drive, or do you need more?

5. Nov 20, 2020 at 1:59 PM
    Breathing Borla

Breathing Borla I'd rather be fishing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2023 Tundra Platinum 4x4 Crewmax
    nah, I like Toyota tundras that make reliability and stability the highest priority,

thats why I like Mac

windows is like GM, when it's working its great, then there are errors, breakdowns, and confusion over performance inconsistencies.

HEHE

DeesCrewMax and ezdog like this.
  6. Nov 20, 2020 at 3:40 PM
    4WDWalrus

4WDWalrus New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    The Silver Walrus
    TRD shift knob OEM Fender Flares Truxedo Pro X15
    That's what the Ford, Chevy, Ram drivers refer to us Tundra drivers. :benchpress:

7. Nov 20, 2020 at 4:57 PM
    T-Rex266

T-Rex266 [OP] Elon approved Staff Member

Member:
    Dell Latitude 3510 Home and Business Laptop (Intel i5-10210U 4-Core, 16GB RAM, 256GB PCIe SSD, Intel UHD Graphics, 15.6" Full HD (1920x1080), WiFi, Bluetooth, Webcam, 1xUSB 3.2, Win 10 Pro) with Hub https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08LXSZPDL/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabc_NugUFbX4V6CTH

2020 Lenovo ThinkPad E15 15.6" FHD Full HD (1920x1080) Business Laptop (Intel 10th Quad Core i5-10210U, 16GB DDR4 RAM, 512GB PCIe SSD) Type-C, HDMI, Windows 10 Pro + IST Computers HDMI Cable https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08726QFRM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabc_tvgUFbKCYRDPS

Microsoft Surface Laptop 2 (Intel Core i5, 8GB RAM, 256GB) - Cobalt https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HZN87JR/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabc_cxgUFbT41CZVC

What are everyone’s thoughts? Again, used for email, MS, and I think one to two company software installs.

Company is purchasing, so it’ll be their property. Being the new guy, I don’t want to be “that guy” and spend over $1k into it

8. Nov 20, 2020 at 5:15 PM
    Cpl_Punishment

Cpl_Punishment Young men never die.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rosy
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM SR5 CM 4X4
    Boost Auto mirrors, RSB, Leer Legend canopy, Line-X bed liner
    I would go with the Dell. They've always served me well and I don't know enough about the other 2 to trust them.

9. Nov 20, 2020 at 5:19 PM
    wingnutted

wingnutted New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    2006 Black Tundra TRD Double Cab
    Intel 11th gen laptop was released recently, I would take sure it has that, preferably i5 or i7. Screen size / weight / portability will drive some of your decision. Doesn't sound like you need something with crazy graphics performance, so 8gb ram is probably fine, but if you can get 16, do that. SSD is a must compared to HDD. Depending on external monitor, availability of ports may or may not be an issue, just look at what you are already using.

My wife uses a surface for her job (health care provider) and isn't a huge fan. I have a thinkpad for work and haven't had an issue. Wife also has a new 11th gen i5 HP laptop for personal use, and it's been super solid so far.

Good luck, but honestly, don't overthink.

T-Rex266[OP] likes this.
  10. Nov 20, 2020 at 5:22 PM
    Haggis777

Haggis777 I.L.J.C.M.L.

Member:
    SW Michigan
    Vehicle:
    2015 Silver SR5 TRD Tundra Canadian Model
    LEDs interior & exterior, stubby antenna, Bak-Flip cover, 285's, AGM battery, block heater, Pine tree air freshener
    Same...Acer.
    Have had 2 desktops and 2 laptops in the past 10 years. Love them so much better than HP or Lenovo. Worst thing I had to do was to replace the battery on our Acer laptop...after 7 years.
    Never had any problems with my Acer's, but the HP and Lenovo (IBM) I sure have.
    (Work laptops)
    Here's the Acer I purchased recently and love it.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08HPJV3CG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apap_borbXnL2HwUPO

T-Rex266[OP] likes this.
  11. Nov 20, 2020 at 5:25 PM
    T-Rex266

Member:
    On the intel, it should work flawless, correct? For what I need to it anyway. I’ll prob. Hook up and additional monitor to it

12. Nov 20, 2020 at 5:25 PM
    T-Rex266

Member:
    Can you fold the monitor all the way back on that one?

13. Nov 20, 2020 at 5:28 PM
    Haggis777

Haggis777 I.L.J.C.M.L.

Member:
    SW Michigan
    Vehicle:
    2015 Silver SR5 TRD Tundra Canadian Model
    LEDs interior & exterior, stubby antenna, Bak-Flip cover, 285's, AGM battery, block heater, Pine tree air freshener
    If you mean like a Surface, no.
    If you have it on a table and want to open it to the point the it is laying with the monitor flat against the table, then yes.

T-Rex266[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  14. Nov 20, 2020 at 5:30 PM
    T-Rex266

Member:
    Is Acer touch screen?

15. Nov 20, 2020 at 6:21 PM
    Tundra234

Tundra234 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra DC SR5 Barcelona
    Alot of them
    I just bought the kids Acer Nitro5 gaming laptops for Christmas.

Haggis777[QUOTED] likes this.
  16. Nov 20, 2020 at 7:24 PM
    DeesCrewMax

DeesCrewMax New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Deric
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2018 Cement Crewmax SR5
    Accutuned Fox 2.5 DSC/2.0 rr, SnugTop Rebel, Alpine Amp, OEM LED headlights, LED fogs, Remote Start, RB20 steps, RCI Skids, 10" BA Muffler, 17" Icon Alloy Six Speeds, 15" Tint, Pro-clip mount
    If open to macs the new m1 chip is ridiculous. Faster, cooler, low power. We just got a mac mini with that chip and 8gb of ram and it blows the doors off our $2800 MacBook Pro with 32 go of ram and a dedicated gpu. M1 is also available in MacBook Air and 13" MacBook pro now.

If you are considering a Mac i would not spend a dime on any device that is not running the M1. Forget about what it looks like on paper. Apple silicon is a game changer. I can't wait to see what they offer in their higher end machines in the days ahead.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2020
  17. Nov 20, 2020 at 7:53 PM
    Coffee*8)

Coffee*8) New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra Crew Max
    + Trans cooler
    Get a refurbished dell or hp. Can get business quality laptops cheap.

ezdog likes this.
  18. Nov 20, 2020 at 7:55 PM
    DeesCrewMax

DeesCrewMax New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Deric
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2018 Cement Crewmax SR5
    Accutuned Fox 2.5 DSC/2.0 rr, SnugTop Rebel, Alpine Amp, OEM LED headlights, LED fogs, Remote Start, RB20 steps, RCI Skids, 10" BA Muffler, 17" Icon Alloy Six Speeds, 15" Tint, Pro-clip mount
    Whoops, didn’t see you were down to a few models by the end. If you haven’t already purchased, I’m a big fan of getting my hands on the device. The specs and reliability matter, but so do the keys, pads, cases, and screens. These aspects are a bit more subjective but hard to live with if you just hate the user interface.

19. Nov 20, 2020 at 7:58 PM
    T-Rex266

Member:
    I’m an Apple guy at heart. Mac, watches, phones etc. But Idk any of them that run iOS for work for whatever they need. Also, it’s a smaller company so no IT - which is better as I have more freedom to run it the way I want for me without calling IT for a freaking software update thing

20. Nov 20, 2020 at 8:43 PM
    PhearCVBz

PhearCVBz New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 Black Tundra DC, 2024 Black Tundra CrewMax
  21. Nov 21, 2020 at 5:15 AM
    rebmo

rebmo 2020 Crewmax Limited 4wd Silver/Black

Member:
    Rural SE Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2020 CM LImited 5.7L V8 4WD
    I have an HP Envy 17” i7 for about 8 years now. Big laptop. One hinge mount started coming apart after warranty which was a common problem. I contacted HP and they sent a shipping box, fixed it, and returned it. No charge. Still working great and nice laptop going for 8 years old. Kudos to HP for standing up for their product.

22. Nov 21, 2020 at 5:29 AM
    Moon Puppy

Moon Puppy I'm not new!

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra Limited
    I make my living in the IT world, desktop support is one of the many hats I have to wear (do more with less).
    I can not speak to Acer brand, never had one, I know they have a good reputation.
    Our business uses HP, I have 12 year old HP desktops still running on the plant floor, hostile environment for a PC. Our laptops are HP Elitebook series and it's not uncommon for me to see a 10 year old one still running in the field so I would go with that or the HP Zbooks. Intel processors only and SSHD is requirement.
    I would have no problem going with Lenovo/IBM.
    I see you asking about touch screen, my current personal laptop is a Elitebook x360 1030 G3, touch screen and the lid flips around to use as a tablet. Not a function I use often but it's cool feature.

23. Nov 21, 2020 at 6:41 AM
    PhearCVBz

PhearCVBz New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 Black Tundra DC, 2024 Black Tundra CrewMax
    To add to this already good post...Each manufacturer has good (and bad) models.

OP, while Acer has some really good deals, I think you'll find there build quality a bit lackluster compared to the Business model laptops from Dell/HP/Lenovo. Don't get me wrong though, those brands have crappy, cheaply built, models too...so watch out for those.

If I were in the market for a general use, work computer, I'd likely go with something like the Vostro I listed above (something similar from HP or Lenovo would be good too, I just don't have an example to link). They do come in different sizes depending on what kind of footprint your looking for. No touchscreen, but I find most people with Windows devices pretty much never use that feature unless you have a specific need (certain touch friendly apps you constantly use, or etc).

I see a lot of people mentioning the surfaces also. Those are really nice machines...They are kind of the PC version of the Mac if that makes any sense. The downside is if you have any (hardware) issues, they basically have to go back to Microsoft. Microsoft doesn't repair them and send them back to you. The way it works is you create a repair order and pay a flat fee (if out of warranty) of $600 (may vary depending on model) and they send you a new/refurb unit once they receive yours. When I did this, it took over a month to complete the process. You also are responsible for backing up the data before sending it to them, as you won't be getting your old device back and they won't transfer it for you. The problem is since they are a sealed unit that you can't take apart, you may not be able to access this data in a lot of cases. Yes, you should do regular backups, but even if that's the case you still may be sending a device back to them without being able wipe the data....which is obviously a concern if you have sensitive data on your device.

Sorry for the long post.

24. Nov 21, 2020 at 6:46 AM
    Moon Puppy

Moon Puppy I'm not new!

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra Limited
    I really don't want to get in a pissing match here but I would avoid at all cost a Surface. @PhearCVBz stated just one of the reasons not to go there. If your laptop is not mission critical and you can do without it for a bit if it crashes, then yeah, it's a cool device.

Cpl_Punishment and DeesCrewMax like this.
  25. Nov 21, 2020 at 6:48 AM
    trucksareforgirls2

trucksareforgirls2 New Member

Member:
    Northeast USA
    Vehicle:
    2020 Voodoo Blue TRD Off-Road
    MacBook Pro is definitely the way to go!! No lag time, and it always runs flawlessly.

-T

26. Dec 1, 2020 at 7:38 AM
    Trogdog

Trogdog New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Trog
    North West GA
    Vehicle:
    2020 Crewmax SR5
    The Dell and the Lenovo are both solid business type laptops without a bunch of bling. The surface is also marketed as a business type laptop but it's very high on the bling factor and I would avoid it.
    Since you don't appear to have a preference based solely on the brand and they both have win 10 pro and pci ssd drives. You should probably ask yourself of you want actual buttons for the mouse (lenovo) or the integrated buttons/touch pad (Dell). Personally I like to have physical buttons, the touch pad will still work as buttons but you have the physical ones if you want.

To Top