1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Landscaping guy looking to upgrade from 4cyl Taco

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by stomachbuzz, Aug 12, 2018.

1. Aug 12, 2018 at 8:52 AM
    stomachbuzz

stomachbuzz [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Howdy everyone

I'm a young guy still holding onto the landscaping gig.
    Started out with a 1994 Nissan pickup, then a 2000 Tacoma, and now my 2005 Taco - ext cab, 4x4, 5spd 4cyl.

I used to think the 2nd gen Tacos were a bit... "plastic-y"? compared to the 1st gens, but I really like mine now. I really enjoy the direction that Toyota has taken, and how it is a much more mature, refined vehicle compared to others.

This year I started towing a trailer - Nothing heavy! Just a 5x8 with a couple mowers. Daily, I probably pull ~1,200lbs., but if I'm doing a large mulch job, it could be 2yds in the trailer, and 1 in the bed. The 4cyl pulls surprisingly well (again- nothing heavy! lol. I know I ain't pulling no real weight here) for my needs, but it's always the other aspects that get ya. Brakes, stability, highway towing, etc. The Tacoma is great around town, but the 4cyl barely keeps speed on the highway uphill unloaded :ballchain:
    My truck didn't come with a towing package. Not sure they were offered on the 4cyl? It does have a tow rating of 3,500lbs :eek2:, but I just got the hitch off a v6 truck, and bought a Curt in-line trailer harness.

I'm definitely a hold-out for the manual trans, but I recently slipped it a lil' too much backing up a driveway with the trailer. First time I've ever smelled a burnt clutch due to my own actions :( Made me re-think "what I am doin' here?"
    For a work truck around town, probably time to jump ship to an automatic. Probably better for towing (city & hwy), but please advise me here.

I think I need something with a tad bit more power, better towing manners, a bigger cab, and something I can grow into.
    When I started looking at options, I naturally gravitated to the Tundra. It's kinda the only one that...doesn't suck. All the other trucks just give me a :facepalm:feeling when looking at certain design features. I'm really not a petty interior kinda guy, but this just makes me cringe
    [​IMG]
    Nissan STILL uses this ugly steering wheel on 2018 trucks. Like...wtf??

I start to look here and there, and suddenly it makes sense why the exact same truck from Ford, Nissan, Dodge, etc is 1/2 the Toyota...(used, of course).

Anyway, is this a good choice? I wanted to get a v6 double cab Tacoma, but too expensive. I thought the Tundras were a big price jump for me, but they actually seem reasonable now.
    I think I have a max budget of ~$13k, and looking for a 2007-2010 double cab, 4x4 truck with less than 120k miles.
    What are the hotspots on the these trucks? Trouble areas, other considerations?
    Things I'm worried about: fuel economy (I know...I know...:crapstorm:), which engine choice, increased insurance costs, and increases maintenance costs with heavier duty parts.
    Also- A/C!! My girlfriend's 2012 Camry blows like the North Pole, but my Tacoma is pathetic. Hoping the Tundras have it better!
    Also also- the size! The Tundras always look like a bull-nosed whale on the roads, but do they feel like that when driving? Lots of my driving will be in the city, pulling into driveways, backing up w/trailer, parking on crowded streets, etc.

Thanks!

T-Rex266 and Prostar 190 like this.
  2. Aug 12, 2018 at 3:37 PM
    Prostar 190

Prostar 190 SSEM #9 I would rather be water skiing

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    OH
    Vehicle:
    2010 CrewMax limited 4X4
    6" lift 35" Toyo M/T
    Welcome from Ohio!

3. Aug 12, 2018 at 4:08 PM
    HamHands

HamHands Honey-Glazed Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra DC MGM SR5 5.7 TRD 4x4
    Don’t forget about the 1st gen Tundra. With what you described, it sounds like a first gen Tundra with a 4.7 V8 would be perfect for your needs. All the capability you’ll need without such a drastic change in size. You can probably find a great low mileage one on that budget.

4. Aug 12, 2018 at 4:55 PM
    T-Rex266

T-Rex266 Elon approved Staff Member

Member:
    Welcome. With that budget, it may be tough for something that’s not a rust bucket.

5. Aug 13, 2018 at 7:11 AM
    stomachbuzz

stomachbuzz [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Briefly considered the 1st gen Tundra. I just...don't know how to feel about them. I've read so many articles about "the best forgotten truck" or "the best truck you didn't know about it" and it's always the Tundra... I just feel like there's a reason the 1st gen Tundra didn't quite catch the "Toyota bug" or better yet, the "Tacoma bug". Seems resale prices on the 1st gen Tundras are significantly cheaper than Tacomas, and the options are always kinda weird. I've just never had a conversation (or even overheard one) of someone going off about a Tundra. Everyone and their mothers (LITERALLY) rants and raves about Tacomas, Corollas, Camrys, Highlanders, Land Cruisiers, etc but never a 1st gen Tundra.
    I don't know. Am I way off base here?

I've looked at lots of craigslist ads for 1st gen Tundras. On paper, I think they really fit well, but the pictures make me feel 'meh..'
    ALSO I think I'd only get a '05 or '06 because my current truck is a '05 and I always try to make forward progress with my work vehicles.

Thanks for the suggestion though, I really am torn.
    Thanks for this. This is the vibe I'm getting from most Tundra owners.

Speaking of rust... My Tacoma got a new frame back in January, and I remember the early 2nd gen Tundras being affected under the same recall. In my search of knowledge for 2nd gen Tundras, I had a really hard time finding any info on Tundra frame rust.
    Do these trucks rust out??
    I know everything rusts, but I'm in the DC area where most vehicles take 10 years so have bubbling around the wheel arches, and 15-20 to get bad.

ColoradoTJ likes this.
  6. Aug 13, 2018 at 7:28 AM
    ColoradoTJ

ColoradoTJ Certified tow LEO Staff Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
  7. Aug 13, 2018 at 7:43 AM
    TXMiamiFan

TXMiamiFan SSEM #3 and tractor extraordinaire

Member:
    First Name:
    Jose
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2016 White Crew Max TRD
    TRD Pro Grille, ESP Storage, Tailgate Inserts, Line-X Bedliner, Weathertech Floorliners, Wet Okole Seat Covers, 5" Shorty Antenna, Mickey Thompson MM-366 Wheels, ToyTec Boss, 35" BFG KO2 to name a few.
    Welcome from CO. Good luck in your search.

ColoradoTJ likes this.
  8. Aug 13, 2018 at 7:47 AM
    831Tun

831Tun heartless Bastrd

Member:
    First Name:
    Warren
    Santa Cruz
    Vehicle:
    '16 CM limited
    TC long travel. Deaver 420 SU leaf packs.
    Welcome Matt. I had an '01 Tundra limited and that thing was great. I've had a Tacoma, a couple T100s and several Tundras. The size and power of the Tundra make it a great work truck, IMO.

stomachbuzz[OP] and ColoradoTJ like this.
  9. Aug 13, 2018 at 9:01 AM
    Casper421

Casper421 Toyota RidgeTrac driver!

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    In the woods
    Vehicle:
    06 DC
    The majority of landscaping trucks around here are 1st gens. Practically the same size as a new taco but with way more useable power, especially when towing. I love my 1st gen.

10. Aug 13, 2018 at 2:59 PM
    Larmand

Larmand SSEM #6

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Fort Worth, TX
    Vehicle:
    2018 SLIGHTLY MODIFIED SR5 TRD CM 4x4-CEMENT
    Welcome to the party!!

Products Discussed in

To Top