1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Ladder rack

Discussion in '2nd Gen Tundras (2007-2013)' started by Dr_Al, Feb 1, 2019.

1. Feb 1, 2019 at 11:03 AM
    Dr_Al

Dr_Al [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Al
    I'm looking to get a ladder rack for my Tundra. It'll mainly be used for stuff like a canoe. On my 1st gen I made one that had 3 bars, one above the windshield, one at the front of the bed, and a removable one over the tailgate. It almost never got removed and it made the truck look more like a work truck. So I'm thinking that all I need is the type that just clamps to the bed rails that's two pieces when assembled. There seams to be a wide range of choices for around the same price. Some look like the top rail is two piece (I would rather not get that style). Most look very similar. Some have a small brace at the base where it clamps onto the bed. My bed has a channel on the inside of the bed but it's not used for anything. Will this pose a problem? I haven't looked but can it be removed if needed or do I need to look for a rack that will work with it? I would prefer aluminum to make installing and removing that much easier and not dealing with rust down the road.

This is the style:
    [​IMG]

2. Feb 1, 2019 at 3:03 PM
    11SilverPlatinum

11SilverPlatinum New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Vehicle:
    2011 Platinum Tundra
    Plastidip emblems, Pace Edward bed cover w/lumber rack, remote start, TRD intake and exhaust, TRD front and rear sway bars, color match grill surround, LED headlight upgrade.
    I have a Pace Edwards that works great. I have it set up to only use when I need it. You can see in my signature photo the racks up and empty. Here is a picture of the racks loaded using a 16 foot ladder with some 20 foot material on top that I had to deliver to a contractor.
    .loaded rack pic.jpg
    I'll grab a couple of pictures and show you how it looks when I'm not using it so I can park in the garage.

3. Feb 1, 2019 at 4:51 PM
    15whtrd

15whtrd Mr. Blonde

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    White 2015 Tundra DC SR5 TRD 4x4 5.7L, White 2003 Sequoia 2WD
    TRD Pro suspension, +2 Coachbuilder shackles, 2015 TRD Pro headlights, 20% ceramic tinted windows, clear ceramic tinted front windshield, aFe drop in pro s dry air filter, TRD airflow accelerator, TRD oil fill cap, TRD 18 psi radiator cap, BDX Bullydog tuner, Weathertech floor mats front and rear, rear seat fold down mod, DNA hard trifold tonneau cover, Linex with uv protection, TRD rear swaybar, TRD center caps, TRD Pro grille insert with color matching surround and bulge, TRD PRO headlights, aluminum oil filter canister, Real truck tailgate seal, Pop-n-lock tailgate lock actuator, rear diff breather relocate, RCI front skid plate. 275/70 R18 BFG KO2s
  4. Feb 2, 2019 at 9:09 AM
    Radial GT

Radial GT New Member

Member:
    Northern MN
    Vehicle:
    2019 Limited TRD CM
    Leveled, bagged camper hauler
    I used some dimensional lumber and garage shelf brackets. Knotched the 2x6's to fit into the post holes and it is really easily removed. I have it wide enough for 2 canoes for boundary water camping trips with the whole crew. I think it ran me about $50 in materials. Screenshot_20190202-110622.jpg Screenshot_20190202-110700.jpgScreenshot_20190202-110644.jpg

5. Feb 3, 2019 at 1:37 PM
    11SilverPlatinum

11SilverPlatinum New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Vehicle:
    2011 Platinum Tundra
    Plastidip emblems, Pace Edward bed cover w/lumber rack, remote start, TRD intake and exhaust, TRD front and rear sway bars, color match grill surround, LED headlight upgrade.
    I finally got some additional pictures showing how I store the trusses for the lumber rack when I am not using them.
    Here you go:
    Fixedsidecrop.jpg Rackcrop.jpg

6. Feb 4, 2019 at 2:17 PM
    Dr_Al

Dr_Al [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Al
    I'm not really looking to make another one, just feel lazy. The Pace Edwards one looks pretty stout. Some of the ones in the $300 range have adjustable stops on each top rail that look like they could be useful.

Products Discussed in

To Top