1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Ladder rack options....

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Tundras (2014-2021)' started by shawn474, Jun 12, 2020.

1. Jun 12, 2020 at 12:26 AM
    shawn474

shawn474 [OP] Lego connoisseur

Member:
    MoCo, Maryland
    Vehicle:
    2019 Cement Tundra crew max TRD Off Road
    I have a 2019 crewmax with the factory utility track rails. We are campers and with the new hybrid travel trailer, I don’t have the option of putting my kayaks on the roof.......so i am looking to accomplish the following:
    1. Utilize a no drill ladder rack to transport two kayaks
    2. Have enough clearance underneath to transport 3-4 bikes. (I have fork mounts mounted into the utility track for this purpose but need the necessary height clearance to fit under the rack with the kayaks.

Most of the racks I am looking at (not wanting to spend $700 dollars for the Thule) say they are not compatible with the utility track system or with bed rails. So does anyone have one of the economy ones installed that work for these purposes? Any advice (or pictures) are greatly appreciated

2. Jun 12, 2020 at 3:00 AM
    FlyingWolfe

FlyingWolfe Wolfie

Member:
    First Name:
    Crystal
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Off-Road Inferno
    I had the RacOne clamp on system on my Taco to transport my 16’ glider and motorcycle around. I had a homemade fork rail in my bed for the bikes tho in order to clear the top. The racks for the super duty fords are taller and may give better headroom for the bikes though.

Im into the buy once, cry once thing though after having to unbolt the back rack a dozen times to move it. Just scored a set of lightly used sliding TracRacs on craigslist the other day for $700, if you dont need the cantilever you should be able to find some for 4-500. Otherwise the economy Thules work just fine, mine were under $300 from Depot w military discount (i think)
    E7BF203E-CC75-495F-AC23-E84700F00DF5.jpg
    clamp on:

75B0ACB6-3D55-4904-BE2B-EF8D11E741EA.jpg
    Sliders..

3. Jun 12, 2020 at 6:13 AM
    PeakIT

PeakIT Old Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    2019 OR Tundra Double cab
    Coachbuilder 3” shackles, King extended travel, SPC upper arms, 5:29 gears, FN FX rims,35"tires, leer shell, grill
    I want a low profile ladder rack that goes around my shell over my cab for Kayaks. One that does not put holes in the shell. Ive seen them before but maybe they were custom made.

4. Jun 12, 2020 at 6:26 AM
    JoshuaA

JoshuaA Canuck Member

Member:
    Southern Ontario
    Vehicle:
    Blaaack 2.5G
    For camping, I use uhaul blankets and put our 2 kayaks inside the trailer. We don't use the truck much for kayaking rest of the year to warrant buying bars, we put them on our other vehicle that has roof racks for local trips.

Within the campground we transport the kayaks in the bed strapped with the gate open like my friend here in his 2500:

Dst5Rz8.jpg

Also, have you thought about a tailgate pad for the bikes? Faster to use than my rack system up there or your fork mounts.

pad.jpg

5. Jun 12, 2020 at 7:30 AM
    dittothat

dittothat New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    SD
    Vehicle:
    2016 MGM Platinum
    if you’re looking at the lower end of the cost spectrum then the tracone by tracrac/Thule is a good option and available at the depot. I originally was a fan of the tracrac like flying wolf posted but decided I wanted something a little more profile on top of my tonneau. Yakima makes an option that bolts right into the Toyota rail system and sits directly on top of the rails (like the tracone and Thule xplorer) which is cool but, like you said, is ~$700. It’s kinda a balance between: cost, appearance, and build quality

Products Discussed in

To Top