1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

KO, KM, AT, MT, STT, LT, OMG I've got tire info overload!

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by JustSomeGuy, Jun 10, 2020.

1. Jun 21, 2020 at 1:41 AM
    jwatt

jwatt I heart men

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    Salsa Red 2007 Tundra DC @91k.
    7" BDS Coilover Suspension Lift/BDS UCAs/XB LED Headlights/Nitto trail Grappler tires on Black Rhyno Armory wheels
    If you decide on the Nitto Trail Grappler prepare yourself for a noisy ride on asphalt, though I do like the way the tires growl when I come to a stop:D

2. Jun 21, 2020 at 2:04 AM
    JustSomeGuy

JustSomeGuy [OP] New Member

Member:
    Okanagan Valley, BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tundra SR5 TRD Off Road CrewMax in Slate Blue
    Diamondback HD tonneau cover, Cooper S/T MAXX tires, Rock Warrior grille, debadged, dechromed, Compustar alarm/remote start, Kenwood touchscreen with navigation, Cobra 75 WX ST CB, dual exhaust, limo tint on rear windows, Firestone Winterforce LT studded tires.
    Lol! I wouldn't mind that growl as I come to a stop, that would sound pretty cool - I'd be more worried about loud, continuous tire noise on long road trips on the highway. The entire lineup of Nitto light trucks looks interesting. If anything, I was thinking of the Nitto Ridge Grappler or Exo Grappler - not sure if they share the same noise attributes as the more aggressive Trail Grappler. I suppose that's the price you pay for good off-road traction. And for a bad @ss looking tire to look cool crawling around the mall parking lot. Just kidding! First priority is performance, and if it happens to look good too, then that's a bonus!

In some of the reviews online, a fair number of people said that the traction on wet roads was not very good with many of the Nitto tires (not necessarily puddles, standing water or hydroplaning, just wet asphalt). That's one of the reasons I'm getting rid of my nearly 5 year old half worn Toyo Open Country AT2 tires (and yes, Toyo and Nitto are sister companies). The rubber seemed a bit hard and there was a bit of cracking starting in the tread of my Toyo AT2s. Traction on wet roads was not very good. I know the 5.7 V8 Tundra is powerful and torquey, but it was just way too easy to spin my tires on wet roads. This did not happen with my winter tires or on my last Tundra with BFG KO2s, which some people say does not have good wet road traction.

3. Jun 21, 2020 at 2:15 PM
    jwatt

jwatt I heart men

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    Salsa Red 2007 Tundra DC @91k.
    7" BDS Coilover Suspension Lift/BDS UCAs/XB LED Headlights/Nitto trail Grappler tires on Black Rhyno Armory wheels
    I drive in the rain all the time; a lot of freeway, and city driving. I have the tow package with the higher geared rear end, so when I bumped it up to 32 in tires the response didn t suffer too much though it did change. I actually like it because when I had stock size tires the damn truck would want to launch like bat from hell when I pressed the throttle. Now it s a mellow take off. And driving in the rain is no problem. I did put 4 -60 lb sandbags in bed to stabilize the rear. That s helped a lot, and made it a much smoother ride.

4. Jun 22, 2020 at 4:18 AM
    JustSomeGuy

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Diamondback HD tonneau cover, Cooper S/T MAXX tires, Rock Warrior grille, debadged, dechromed, Compustar alarm/remote start, Kenwood touchscreen with navigation, Cobra 75 WX ST CB, dual exhaust, limo tint on rear windows, Firestone Winterforce LT studded tires.
    I've got the tow package too, I'm going to stick with the stock size tires. I hear for towing it's best if the truck is stock, or the closer to stock the better. But I know what you mean about the abrupt take off, comes in handy to have the extra power when towing though. It's driving in the rain, I don't like spinning the tires on wet roads, so I'm hoping to pick tires that are good on wet roads.

5. Jun 30, 2020 at 9:11 PM
    Chucho

Chucho New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Salem, OR
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM DC Tundra SR5 TRD 4X4
    Tuff Country 2" Level spacer Kit up front Paired with KYB Mono Max shocks all around. Roadmaster Active Suspension HD kit 1mm gap 275/70R18 Falken Wildpeak A/T3W mounted on some MB352 18X9 + 25 Cobra 19DXIV CB radio.
    There's no complaint on the GY Dura-Trac.
    I'm running 275/75R18's and pushing 70K miles on them and still got a good amount of tread.
    This was my first time running them as I always ran BFGs in the past.
    I daily drive 80 miles round trip a day and tow a 4k lbs travel trailer and drive in all Oregon weather without any issue.
    I'll probably change tires before winter, might end up with another set of these as it was worth every penny.
    but like all, i keep my options open. The Toyo ATIII looks sweet also!
    just my .02

6. Jun 30, 2020 at 9:45 PM
    JustSomeGuy

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I was considering those Toyo ATIII tires, but they won't be available in Canada until next year. If it weren't for COVID-19 and the border being closed to non-essential travel, I might have just driven across to Washington state and bought a set there (a 1 hour drive). I just took off a worn set of Toyo ATII that had poor wet road traction, might have been due to age (almost 5 years old) and wear (about half worn), but still, didn't want to get the exact same tire again if the ATIII is only a few months away from being available here.

The Goodyear Duratracs looked pretty good, in fact I nearly bought a set when they went on sale for 25% off a few weeks ago. The only thing that held me back was that a lot of people complained about weak sidewalls and I'm not in the best physical shape to be changing tires in the middle of the forest or wilderness by myself. They used to be 3 ply sidewalls years ago apparently, now they're 2 ply. I'm putting tough sidewalls near the top of my wishlist, so that was really they only reason I didn't jump on them. The price was great when they went on sale, I was almost ready to overlook that fault because a lot of people are really happy with those tires, and many are repeat buyers. They're supposed to be really good in snow too, though I have a dedicated set of studded winter LT tires anyways, but that is a nice added bonus.

Since my truck is stock height on newly replaced suspension (last year, so won't be replaced or lifted for a while), I decided to stick with stock sized LT275/65R18 tires - they say it's easier for towing if you stay stock, though lots of people tow with lifted trucks and bigger tires, I just wanted to keep it simple. I'm going LT 10 ply (or the modern equivalent) since I tow a travel trailer too and I believe it gives a bit better sidewall puncture resistance. Almost went with the 2 ply Falken AT3W but decided the Cooper ST Maxx was a good blend of a hybrid tire, a bit more aggressive than an AT but not as much as a mud tire, commercial traction, 3 ply sidewall, mostly positive reviews. I just ordered a set, should be here in a few days but I want to make sure the date code isn't too old. If it is, I'm not getting them - I'll either try another store, or get another brand. A close runner up was the General Grabber ATX. Both are a bit more pricey than the Falkens and I decided to try something different than BFG KO2 this time. My wheels have been painted though they still didn't get my center caps painted. I hope by the end of next week I'll be driving around on my new tires.

Found a tire shop that has a bunch of Continental ContiTrac highway LT tires in my size that I will get for my two spare tires (the original 11 and 13 year old P rated Michelins were dry rotted and badly cracked, I wouldn't trust them) The ContTracs are take-offs that were built this year (so less than 5 months old) and have less than 100 miles on them and are less than half price. They don't have best reviews on TireRack, but for spare tires that I will probably never, or rarely drive on, I figure they're bargain priced and load range E. I've got two steel wheel rims, so two spare tires. Being that they're brand new, they should be good for another 10 years as spare tires.

Chucho likes this.
  7. Jun 30, 2020 at 9:56 PM
    TheBeast

TheBeast The Beach

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    local lifeguard running 315/70/17 KM3's on his gen 2 Tundra. He seemed happy with them.

8. Jun 30, 2020 at 10:54 PM
    JustSomeGuy

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Those look great! KM3's were on my (rather long) short list. I decided that since I've got a stock height truck that still get used as a daily driver, for long road trips, off-roading, trailer, towing, gravel roads, etc, a hybrid or All-Terrain would be better for my needs than a true Mud-Terrain. Tempting though! I just worry that with a sizeable amount of highway driving and putting wet road traction as a priority, mud tires might not have been the best choice for me. If I ever can have a dedicated trail rig, then for sure!

9. Jun 30, 2020 at 11:32 PM
    sillydadztrksR4momz

sillydadztrksR4momz New Member

Member:
    I agree with you I had k02 BFG and they were great at first but then after a couple short rainy seasons in SoCal they kept slipping infrequently rotates them but they wore out quicker than I thought they would and they aren’t cheap. So this time around I went with toyo mt this time I feel like I got my money worth

10. Jun 30, 2020 at 11:47 PM
    Ely010606

Ely010606 New Member

Member:
    SPARKS, NV
    Vehicle:
    2017 QS SR5 CM TRD 4x4
    Being debating also, i have Nitto Ridge Grappler 285/70/18 and they are nice looking and quite for a while, but after that you will start to hear some humming a little vibration on stopping.
    Also in your shoes right now, im planning on getting the Wildpeak or the cooper , just cant decide. My original decision was for the Toyo open country too damn expensive.
    Good luck with your choice.

11. Jul 1, 2020 at 2:23 AM
    JustSomeGuy

Member:
    Vehicle:
    The Coopers are pretty expensive too, at least in my area. Even still, I thought they were the best all around compromise - not quite as capable as mud tires, but better than all terrain tires, commercial grade (I think that some border patrol vehicles use them too), good puncture resistance, mostly positive reviews, decent on the highway, including wet roads, and good off-road, including pretty decent in mud considering they're a hybrid and not a mud ture. Three ply sidewall, load range E in LT275/65R18. One of the only downsides is the price. But, like they say, you usually get what you pay for. Quality isn't cheap. Although there are some tires priced high that don't seem to live up to the hype - many would say the KO2s. I might even put Toyos in that same group too, having previously had Open Country ATII.

I was "so" close to getting the Falken Wildpeak AT3W. They have the 3 Peak Mountain Snowflake (not just Mud & Snow rated like most others), it's also a hybrid tire, so a bit more capable than an all terrain tire. Good looking tire, although I wouldn't buy on looks alone. In fact, the only reason I chose not to buy was because there were a few (not many, but enough) reviews of sidewall punctures, including one YouTuber overlander who got two flats in one weekend. Found out these have a 2 ply sidewall in most (maybe all) sizes. But, the vast majority of people seem really, really happy with these tires and the price is quite reasonable. If I was primarily driving on pavement, or just doing occasional light off-roading, these would have been perfect. And lots of people do more aggressive off-roading with them and possibly don't have sidewall punctures any more than other 2 ply (or maybe even 3 ply) LT tires, but I just didn't want to take that chance because I knew that was the one potential weak spot for me. Some people might say I'm overthinking the 2 ply vs 3 ply thing, and it's more for towing and payload. There's conflicting information both online and at local tire shops. I figure it can't hurt to have slightly thicker/stronger sidewall - the only downside is they are stiffer and don't flex as easily when aired down for off-roading, need to be aired down more, which could cause damage or rolling the tire off the rim. There's no perfect solution.

But, I know I'll be pushing my tires a bit more and want to give myself the best chance of not having a flat tire or two while out in the bush by myself (since I'm not physically in great shape to change a flat on a Tundra out in the wilderness, and these are heavy tires when on rims, to lift and line up on the studs, in the heat, cold, rain, mud, snow, ice, dark, with physical disabilities, etc), not to mention the inconvenience, even for those who are more physically capable of changing tires. I know, there is no tire that is immune to sidewall punctures. Just looking for one that is the most puncture resistant. Actually, there was one that might have been better and puncture resistant, Nokian Rockproof, but it's more industrial grade, meant for primarily off-road use in logging, mining, etc, on-road manners are not its priority, so I figured they'd be not only overkill, but a bad match. They're sure bad@ss but I'm not THAT hardcore!

Nitto Exo Grappler looked good too, it has the 3 Peak Mountain Snowflake, and Nitto Ridge Grappler also appealed to me. I was reading a lot of people complaining about the noise, more noisy than other tires as they wear and some people said they were not so good on wet roads, which is important to me. I found out Nitto and Toyo are sister companies, and my Toyo Open Country ATII were not so great on wet roads, though they came on my truck already 4 years old and almost half worn, so it wasn't really a fair evaluation.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2020
    Ely010606[QUOTED] likes this.
  12. Jul 5, 2020 at 5:40 PM
    OverlandRW

OverlandRW New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bruce
    Washington State
    Vehicle:
    2012 Rock Warrior
    Dual battery system, ARB air system, dif breathers & locker, RCI skids, Baja Designs & Vision X lighting, OME suspension, SPC UCAs, TRD cold air, XO Fab sliders, Icom Ham, 35x12.5 KO2s, Leer commercial canopy w/ rack
    Original equipment tire for my Rock Warrior was BFG KO. They went 55k with no issues, and my truck is far from being a pavement princess. Replaced with KO2s and now have 35k very hard miles on those, again with no issues. Wishing they’d wear out so I can replace with larger, but will go with KO2s again. My son swears by Wild Peaks and I agree that they’re also a great tire. I run Duratracs on my fleet 3/4 and 1-ton rigs that access mountain top cell sites and haven’t had any sidewalk issues, and have seen over 50k on heavy commercial 1-tons.

Keep in mind availability, though. If you do have a tire fail what’s the likelihood of finding a matching tire in rural areas? Better with BFG than most.

Pull the trigger. KO2s or Wild Peaks. You’ll be happy with either choice.

13. Jul 5, 2020 at 10:43 PM
    JustSomeGuy

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I thought about the availability in rural areas too. Like you said, probably the best availability with KO2s. Having previously run a set of KO2 and before that, KO, I was happy with them and almost went with a set of KO2s without even doing any research. Then the Falken AT3Ws came on my radar, very highly regarded tire by many people, and then Goodyear Duratrac which a lot of people also like. Though maybe not as popular as BF Goodrich or Goodyear, I like a lot of what I've heard about the Cooper ST Maxx for reasons mentioned earlier. They have arrived, date code verified to have been manufactured this year, and I have an appointment in two days to get them installed.

One of the downfalls might be availability in rural areas if I get a flat tire. First, I hope with the commercial grade 3 ply sidewall that will minimize the chance of that happening. But, even if it does, sometimes tires have to be ordered in anyways, even if it was a more popular tire like a KO2 or Duratrac. There are compromises and tradeoffs with every choice. And it's been a tough choice! I don't think I've ever spent this much time trying to decide on which tires to get.

14. Jul 8, 2020 at 4:28 AM
    JustSomeGuy

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Finally got my tires! It was a tough choice but I chose the Cooper Discoverer ST Maxx in the stock size LT275/65R18. There's no "perfect" tire that meets all of my criteria, but this one comes the closest. It's certainly not the cheapest either, but it's also not the most expensive, though it's up there. After a lot of debating my wish list came down to:

1. A hybrid tire, so a bit more agressive than an All-Terrain for better off-road traction, but not quite as agressive as a Mud-Terrain tire. I'm giving up a bit of the ultimate in off-road performance, but it's not my primary need. A true mud tire would be a bit too noisy for long road trips, possibly wear down too quickly and have inferior on-road performance, in particular on wet pavement. Some of the campgrounds I go to are a bit rustic and 4WD with good tires is important, especially if you want to venture into the back country after you unhitch your travel trailer. The new category of "hybrid" tires that bridges the gap between All-Terrain and Mud-Terrain seemed like a happy medium.
    2. Load Range E with a 3 ply sidewall to handle heavy loads and trailer towing for my travel trailer which I often tow across the country.
    3. Commercial traction tire. If it's intended for commercial use, it should hold up to my lighter duty use. It may be overkill, but I like the peace of mind of a no compromise tire, or as close as possible. I'm not as strong as I used to be, and with physical limitations, anything that can reduce the chance of sidewall punctures and needing to change a tire is a good thing. I live on the west coast, and out west, we tend to have sharper rocks, and I might be moving to a rural area in a year or two, so that could mean lots of gravel road driving in my future.
    4. Reputation. No tire is perfect, but in general, the reviews for this tire were mostly positive with not too many negative reviews.
    5. Price (as an indication of quality). Tires are not something you buy often and are an important safety feature that I did not want to compromise. I know there are plenty of lower priced tires that also very good quality and have excellent reviews (I came very close to buying Falken Wildpeak AT3W which is a quality tire for a good price, Hercules was a contender too, made by Cooper but more entry level).
    6. Availability. In the event I get a flat tire and need a replacement, this tire in this size should be fairly easy to get. It probably won't be in stock at most tire shops like a BFG KO2 would be, but should be available from regional warehouses within a day or two in major cities or a bit longer in small towns.
    7. Wet road traction and light snow traction. There's nothing I hate more than tires that don't grip the road well when it's wet. The Toyo Open Country ATII that just came off were really bad for that, however they were almost five years old and almost half worn (previous owner put them on). They might have been better when new. The Cooper ST Maxx has favorable reviews for wet road handling and light snow/winter conditions. It's only rated M+S (Mud and Snow), it does not have the 3 Peak Mountain and Snowflake, which would have been really good (the Falken Wildpeak AT3W does). However, I have a set of studded winter tires but since those tend to wear quickly, I wanted a 3 season tire I could run for most of the year and save my true winter tires for the nastiest two or three months of the year. The rubber compound on the Cooper ST Maxx seems soft enough, and with a moderate amount of sipes, it should have enough grip on wet roads and colder light winter conditions. Of course, this tire is no substitute for a true dedicated winter tire, but for the weeks leading up to winter or the last few weeks of winter, I think it will be fine, although I know many people run them year round in areas that get significant snow and winter conditions. To each their own.
    8. Appearance. Let me state that I would never buy tires on looks alone! But the fact that these tires happen to look good and fairly agressive is a bonus! I got my OE wheels refinished in gloss black, and along with the debadged, (mostly) dechromed look on my Tundra, I think these tires look bad @ss! Of course, if really wanted to go just for looks (and for a brief moment I had to restrain myself), I would have bought the STT Pro or some other mud tires. But what's the point of looking cool while driving on noisy tires that are totally unsuitable for the kind of driving you're doing?
    I took the Tundra out for a drive of about 60 miles (100 kilometers) of mixed driving. A bit of city, highway, secondary back roads, forestry road/dirt road and some light off-roading. Nothing too intense, as I was by myself and didn't want to get stuck and stranded, and it had rained in the last 24 hours, though really wasn't that muddy. But, I'm not a hard core off-roader, though I wouldn't mind trying something more challenging now that I have better tires, though in the stock size at the stock height, so nothing too crazy. I wanted to keep it that way as it retains much of the towing capacity and handling when unmodified or unlifted.

As many others have said, pictures of the tread do not do this tire justice. It actually looks more agressive in person, definitely leans more towards a mud tire than an all terrain. But surprisingly, not too noisy. A bit of hum on the highway, and when slowing down, but no worse than an agressive winter tire. Maybe a touch louder than BFG KO2 or Toyo Open Country ATII that I've previously had on this Tundra and my previous Tundra. We'll see how the road noise is as the tire wears and the miles add up. From the reviews I read, it's not too bad. The Cooper STT Pro (the Mud Terrain tire) is known for getting loud quickly and wearing faster - one reason I avoided that tire.

One of the most worrisome negative reviews of the Cooper ST Maxx is that many (though not all) owners report pulling to the right, which is not due to alignment. I had my alignment checked and it was fine. Fortunately, I have not experienced any pulling to the right. I let my hands off the steering wheel to see if it would pull, and there was an ever so slight pull to the right, but in all fairness, many roads are banked to the right and I did not try this test with my previous tires, I should have. But when holding the steering wheel, there is absolutely no pulling. Let's hope it stays that way! So many people complained of this, I almost didn't buy the Cooper ST Maxx just because of that, even though it is otherwise an excellent tire. There is no logical explanation why some people have this issue and others don't. Oddly enough, it seems a lot of negative reviews of Cooper tires in general come from Australia. Perhaps the conditions there are different enough from the US and Canada that they don't hold up well down under, because what the Aussies were complaining about with Cooper tires, Americans and Canadians were not.

I'll try to remember to update this as time goes on to give a more long term review. Until then, here are some pictures of the new Cooper ST Maxx tires on my 2009 Tundra SR5 TRD Off-Road CrewMax. Stock height (new OE style suspension last year), stock tire size LT275/65R18. Those are the original wheels, they were looking a bit rough, so I sent them out to get sandblasted and painted gloss black along with the center caps. I was hesitant to go with gloss black, as black wheels tend to lose definition and look like cheap steelies for winter tires or blobs with no definition, but glad I did, turned out really well, I'm really digging the look! I like 5 spoke wheels, but didn't like the thick spokes on these, so didn't feel so bad going with the dark color and losing the definition. The body color is Slate Metallic (grey/blue) so charcoal grey wheels wouldn't look right. Thought about dark bronze, but though the black would tie in with the rest of the blacked out trim and my gloss black Rock Warrior grille. Ok, this is getting long enough, here's some pics to enjoy!

fl5.jpg
    fl6.jpg
    fl7.jpg
    fronttire1.jpg
    fronttire3.jpg
    reartire1.jpg

Last edited: Jul 8, 2020

Products Discussed in

To Top