1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

KO, KM, AT, MT, STT, LT, OMG I've got tire info overload!

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by JustSomeGuy, Jun 10, 2020.

1. Jun 12, 2020 at 5:33 PM
    JustSomeGuy

JustSomeGuy [OP] New Member

Member:
    Okanagan Valley, BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tundra SR5 TRD Off Road CrewMax in Slate Blue
    Diamondback HD tonneau cover, Cooper S/T MAXX tires, Rock Warrior grille, debadged, dechromed, Compustar alarm/remote start, Kenwood touchscreen with navigation, Cobra 75 WX ST CB, dual exhaust, limo tint on rear windows, Firestone Winterforce LT studded tires.
    Yeah, I know. I'm getting pretty close. I'll decide this weekend and then call one of the tire shops on Monday to order my tires.

I've had Cooper tires twice in the past - both times it was by chance. Once, many years ago, my father surprised me by getting new tires for my car and they were Cooper Cobras (passenger car). Another time, I was looking for a deal on some used tires on Craigslist for a beater Mazda pickup and ended up getting a nice set of nearly new Discoverer tires (I forget the specific model). I was pretty happy with the tires both times. I had been looking at the ST Maxx and STT Pro tires online this week for my Tundra, and they look pretty good. As do those Patagonia M/T's - they look like they'd really get the job done! (I actually have never seen those before, but I'm sure there's a tire shop somewhere near me that sells them, I just haven't seen them.

One of the reasons I'm still hesitating is because I'd "think" like mud terrain tires as they'd excellent in certain circumstances for me, especially if I move to an area with lots of gravel roads and lots of places to off-road, but I also use my Tundra for road trips and as a daily driver on paved roads. That's why I'm kind of leaning toward a hybrid or All-Terrain tire. Interesting about the Nittos chunking. As for Goodyear Duratracs, they seem great except that I've heard quite a few reviews mention weak sidewalls and easy punctures. But... no tire is perfect, and I have not yet (and likely will not) find the perfect tire that has no problems, meets all of my needs and is a great price. So, I have to weight out the pros and cons of each and pick one that I think will work best for me.

After reading reviews and watching video reviews for tires a few hours each day, every day, for an entire week, I'm really... (wait for it, brace yourself...) TIRED! Haha! OMG, I need to be "PUNished" for that one! :rofl: I think between tire review overload and this COVID quarantine I'm starting to go a bit crazy, lol! :bananadance::kona: Can't wait to get my new tires and go off-roading or take a little road trip to get away from it all for a little while.

Black Wolf[QUOTED] likes this.
  2. Jun 12, 2020 at 5:45 PM
    Black Wolf

Black Wolf Bigfoot Hunter, Sasquatch too, but not Yeti

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    2022 Nissan Frontier SV 4X4
    TuwaPro rack, Z1 Offroad stuff, NISMO suspension stuff, FlowmasterFX Extreme exhaust, AIS, OVS, J&L can, other goodies on the way
    Most of the tires mentioned on this thread and other threads here are quite good. You will go crazy. I passed thru BC on my up to AK. The Liard River area and Peace Valley Mountain sunset was breathless. I will go back up once I retire and go on a vacation.

3. Jun 12, 2020 at 5:58 PM
    JustSomeGuy

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Diamondback HD tonneau cover, Cooper S/T MAXX tires, Rock Warrior grille, debadged, dechromed, Compustar alarm/remote start, Kenwood touchscreen with navigation, Cobra 75 WX ST CB, dual exhaust, limo tint on rear windows, Firestone Winterforce LT studded tires.
    Yes, so many good choices. Too many choices! Would be so much easier if there were just one or two tires to choose from! There are so many, and for the most part, none have anything really bad about them which makes this all the more difficult. I was almost ready to just go and get the KO2s again without looking at any reviews or considering any other tires. I kind of wish I did. If I had, I'd be driving around on a new set of KO2s for the third time.

I agree, the scenery in BC is amazing. Last year I dusted off my good camera and started going around taking landscape photography pics in my immediate area. It would be nice to venture out a bit more and stop to just take in the scenery and take some more pictures. Mountains make for a great view. I need to get out more and see more places like I used to do.

Black Wolf likes this.
  4. Jun 12, 2020 at 5:59 PM
    LASurf

LASurf New Member

Member:
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    300k+mi 06 AC4x4
    Get the KO2’s and call it a day. Falken’s in my opinion all you’re doing is saving a little money. Any real difference claimed comes down to the driver. I’ve had many sets of KO2s, 10ply, and no issues balancing. Read the complaints about the KO2...oh wait.

5. Jun 12, 2020 at 6:08 PM
    JustSomeGuy

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Yeah, it's coming down to the Falkens and KO2s I think. Both seem like good choices. I've been happy with the KO2s before, then I found out about the Falkens and wondered if I was missing out on something. As mentioned, neither tire is perfect, but for the most part, those two (and several others) have very few complaints or issues, and if they do, they don't bother me. Maybe I'll get Falkens for the front wheels and KO2s for the back wheels. Just kidding! I think whichever I go with, it will be a good choice. There's not too much of a price difference, at least in my area. The Falkens are only $14 cheaper per tire than the KO2s, so although there's a $56 savings on a set of 4, which is nice, it's not much considering how much the whole bill will be.

LASurf[QUOTED] likes this.
  6. Jun 12, 2020 at 6:35 PM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    TuwaPro rack, Z1 Offroad stuff, NISMO suspension stuff, FlowmasterFX Extreme exhaust, AIS, OVS, J&L can, other goodies on the way
    .....oh...wait... @ https://coloradotireservice.com/about-us
    A local highly regarded tire store and they have sold thousands of sets of KO's over the years here in CO. Obviously a very popular tire series over the years. Call them. They will tell you that the KO's don't suck but are a "bitch" to keep balanced. Their biggest pain in the ass offroad tire that they sell. Their words. Not mine. 30+ years of experience at the Aurora store. They keep selling them of course. Who wouldn't.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2020
  7. Jun 12, 2020 at 7:19 PM
    LASurf

LASurf New Member

Member:
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    300k+mi 06 AC4x4
    Thought that ending might kick up some dust. Just speaking from my experience alone and hearing nothing but good things from other people (not on the internet) that swear by them. But hey, great info to share, and not my decision to make.

Black Wolf[QUOTED] likes this.
  8. Jun 12, 2020 at 7:21 PM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    BF has sold probably millions of KO's over the years. That's usually a good sign of a great tire! :thumbsup:

9. Jun 13, 2020 at 10:33 AM
    JustSomeGuy

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Like I said earlier, I've had two sets of BF Goodrich All-Terrain T/A KOs/KO2s. Once on a Land Cruiser and once on my previous Tundra, both in stock sizes. Neither of those two had any problems with balancing, though I don't know if the installer had a struggle with them when installing. Maybe I just got lucky. I've heard that the bigger and/or flotation All-Terrain tires (of any brand) can be hard to balance. It would be interesting to know if the balancing issues happen on any of the KO2s, regardless of size, or just the bigger or flotation tires.

There's also something to be said for being first to market. I understand BF Goodrich was the first to make an All-Terrain tire back in the 1970s, and so being the first, they gained excellent brand name recognition and a sizeable chunk of the market, whether or not they have the best quality product. Kind of like Chrysler with the minivan. Arguably (aside from the VW vans), the Dodge Caravan was the first mass produced American-made minivan to the market in the mid 1980s and always had a sizeable share of the minivan market, even though (in my opinion) some of their competitors had superior quality products. And I currently own a Dodge Caravan too (a wheelchair van conversion for my mother). I kick myself every day for trying to save some money buying a Dodge instead of a Honda or Toyota based wheelchair van. I've previously owned a regular passenger version Toyota Sienna and Honda Odyssey and can tell you they are much more refined, better quality and longer lasting. But, Dodge was first to market with the minivan and dominated the market for over three decades, even though their product wasn't the best quality, kind of like BF Goodrich and the All-Terrain T/A KO2 and its predecessors. Maybe.

All I can say is, the two times I bought KO or KO2 tires, I had no problems with them and was happy with them. Maybe it was a fluke. That's why I'm on the fence about going with them again, or trying something else like the Falken Wildpeak. Not as popular, many people are happy with, and a few unhappy ones too. Then again, I have not yet found a tire that had a 100% satisfaction rate and a 0% defect rate or anything close to it. I'm almost ready to just flip a coin.

10. Jun 13, 2020 at 10:56 AM
    GiantsFanDan

GiantsFanDan New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    2014 Silver Sky Tundra Ltd TRD OffRoad Dbl Cab
    Pick up some Cooper's. Great tires. Have almost 40k on my STT Pro's with probably 15 to 20k left on them. My truck is daily driven and used offroad with 132k on the clock. STT Pro's performs great in rain compared to running KO2's that I had previously. Never had issues with KO2's, but don't think they perform as good. Make sure you take care of them. Keep them rotated every 5k and check your pressure. I am intrigued by the Patagonia’s though, but i think I will be getting another set of STT Pro’s when it’s time.

8F24A3BC-E3B2-4532-9161-F7D03FA563B6.jpg AD509746-E0B5-4A06-955A-6A6499E2B262.jpg
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 13, 2020
    Tundra14Platinum and TheBeast like this.
  11. Jun 13, 2020 at 11:06 AM
    JustSomeGuy

Member:
    Vehicle:
    The Cooper STT Pros are also on my short list, though they cost a bit more than most of the others. I really like them - their specifications, owner feedback and yes, appearance. Because I need to look good when crawling around the mall, right? lol! Just kidding. For a more aggressive tire, a mud tire, people are saying it's remarkably quiet for a Mud-Terrain tire. One thing I'd really like is to have a tire that's good in mud, because that's the one area that most All-Terrain suffer. Where I live is in a rain shadow, so usually not too muddy except in spring, or when we get rain. And I think a tire like the STT Pro could handle the wear and tear of gravel roads better, if I move to a rural area.

I've been reading up on what a lot of people into overlanding use, and for the most part, many of them use All-Terrain tires, about 33" or equivalent and they get by quite well with those. BFG KO2s and Falken seem to be two of the more common tires they use.

Those STT Pros look pretty good for having 40k on them. What size are they and how much of a lift do you have? Do you do much driving on gravel roads too? If so, more like smoother river rock type gravel or more jagged gravel?

Edit, I checked your build thread, looks like you're running 295x70x18 Cooper STT Pro's and I think a 2.5" lift?

12. Jun 13, 2020 at 11:19 AM
    GiantsFanDan

GiantsFanDan New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    These STT Pro's have been in almost everything. Sand, Rock, dirt, mud, boulders, rocky water crossing, and Mojave Lava Rocks. They have out lasted my MB wheels (had to be replaced with Methods). They are 295/70/18 and I have about 3in of lift in front with 2in in rear.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

With MB Wheels
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and previous KO2's (285's)
    [​IMG]

13. Jun 13, 2020 at 11:21 AM
    GiantsFanDan

GiantsFanDan New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    Last week in Shasta-Trinity NF

14. Jun 13, 2020 at 1:44 PM
    JustSomeGuy

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I just watched that video - looks like you guys had fun! And snow last week? I guess so, I'm in the Rockies too, but further north just across the Canadian border. At the lower elevations in the Okanagan valley, it's nice and warm, but I heard in the mountain passes there was snow in the last few days around here too. Quite a bit cooler when you go up a mile in elevation! I've passed right through Mt. Shasta and Weed, CA many times when I take I5 on my to or from SoCal, usually just stopping for gas and then keep going because I'm in a hurry to get to my destination. But I should really stop and spend some time there next time.

I'm not quite as well equipped as you since I'm on stock suspension and probably won't do a lift for a while. Last year would have been the best time to do it, as I had to get new shocks, struts and springs anyways but I was in a rush and just went with stock replacements. I should have spent a bit more and done a lift, thought of it, but oh well. Even still, brought me up about half an inch over the sagged and worn original suspension. And if I go to 275/70R18 tires that will get me another half inch. Until then, I won't be quite as adventurous as you, but maybe in a few years when the suspension and tires need changing, I'll do something like what you did. Your truck looks awesome! It's got the upgrades and capacity to take on some serious off-roading, and the looks to go with it. At least you're making use of it, it's not a pavement princess. Not that there's anything wrong with that - to each his/her own. If I put in the money to do a lift, wheels and tires, I'm not just going to drive to the mall. I use my truck for towing, and as a daily driver, and the way it's set up right now works for what I need.

Quite a transformation from when you had the stock wheels and your 285 KO2s. It really stands out and so much more capable. I should read through your build thread - it's up to 21 pages right now. The unmodified version of your truck looks similar to my previous Tundra. It was a 2011 Tundra Limited DC in silver. So, a little different because it was a 2011 vs 2014, but at quick glance, looks quite similar. But now, it really stands out and I bet is so much more fun to drive. Might use a bit more gas, but you can go places that you couldn't before. I'm always afraid of scratching or denting my rig when I go off-road, so maybe that's one reason I stay with the easy trails. But I'm missing out on a lot! Maybe as my truck get older, and if I have another one as my tow vehicle and daily driver, I'll turn my current 2009 Tundra into a trail rig. Yours is newer and you're taking it through its paces. Takes guts man! And I bet those STT Pro tires make it all the better!

GiantsFanDan likes this.
  15. Jun 13, 2020 at 2:51 PM
    GiantsFanDan

GiantsFanDan New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    Thanks man! Definitely make a stop in Shasta-Trinity NF and Mt Shasta at some point. I've never been and it was amazing 5 days and 225 miles of trails (some on road to different trails). 90% of the trail you could do with some good tires and no lift. Tamarack Lake trail would have been good with a lift and had lots of off shoots for more trails our group didn't know about. Tamarack Lake had some amazing views with me most likely getting some photos framed from the trip. 14 highly modded jeeps and a fully caged T4R on 40's were coming up when we left Saturday morning so I'm sure we missed a lot of what Tamarack Lake has to offer.

Screen Shot 2020-06-13 at 2.49.45 PM.jpg

16. Jun 13, 2020 at 4:50 PM
    jmac30

jmac30 New Member

Member:
    2018 platinum
    Love the Falken AT3 I put on been great so far - surprisingly quiet - good luck

17. Jun 14, 2020 at 3:32 PM
    JustSomeGuy

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Definitely sounds like a lot of fun! I've almost got my Tundra outfitted with the minimum requirements most 4x4 clubs want, so I and the truck are ready - as soon as I get my new tires. Good to know most of it is doable at stock ride height with some decent All-Terrain tires. Maybe when I'm due for new socks, struts and springs again, I'll take the opportunity to do a 2" lift. And with 275/70R18 tires, that will give me another half inch, so I'd have a nice 2 1/2" lift. But, that's probably a couple of years away. For now, I'll use it as-is.

With the COVID-19 situation, the Canada/US border is still closed to non-essential travel, so until it's reopened, I won't be able to go to Cali or anywhere in the US. Hopefully later this year. Until then, there's also lots of good trails around my area too, I just need to find a 4x4 club to go with. And take my camera. And maybe my dog, though he could be bait for wildlife.

I'm kind of thinking of going with the Falken Wildpeak AT3W this time if I go for All-Terrain tires, which I probably should. Many overlanders use All-Terrains and they're fine. I could get mud tires when I do a lift in a couple of years, although at this point, I could get any tire.

GiantsFanDan likes this.
  18. Jun 14, 2020 at 3:55 PM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    Actually the first "all terrain" tires were Desert Dogs. Bought them for my 69 Chevy RegCab short wide box 4X4 back in 1973. The Desert Dog tread design was ripped off by BFG. If you can find an old pic of Desert Dogs you can see the BFG ripoff. Quite frankly an even better tire was the Armstrong True Trac. Bought them in 1971 for my built up 57 CJ5. Rebuilt 283 V8 out of a Corvette. Swapped in a Muncie 4 speed manual tranny. My dad paid for the special order machined adapter plate to mate with the Jeep Xfer case. I took auto shop all four years in high school and metal shop. I rebuilt that 283 V-8 during my Sophomore year in high school.1971. But then again...wtf do I know?....was wheeling with my friends in crazy places before all these aftermarket goodies that you youngsters seem to need nowadays to go to the same freaking places.....just sayin....:mudding:

Last edited: Jun 14, 2020
  19. Jun 14, 2020 at 4:46 PM
    BTBAKER

BTBAKER DIFFERENT NAME. SAME JUNK.

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Castle Rock
    Vehicle:
    2023 Ram Rebel
    I’ve had BFG KO2 on three different Toyota’s. Honestly, I’m not sure why I kept buying them. They all needed a ton of weight to balance. They plain suck for wet traction and they are only OK in the snow. They have been durable and with rotations have all worn well but I will be trying other tires. TOYO AT3, Cooper Discover AT3, and RG are in my short list.

Skey44 and Black Wolf like this.
  20. Jun 14, 2020 at 4:53 PM
    Jstarr

Jstarr New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan Starr
    Vehicle:
    2000 silver 1st Gen Tundra, 2017 Tacoma TRD OR, 2020 4Runner TRD ORP, 1994 Jeep Wrangler
    BFG KO2's in E Load Rated. Tough as nails. Currently on my 7th set, never an issue.

21. Jun 14, 2020 at 4:57 PM
    palehorse

palehorse @grey_ghost_trdpro

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Mount Pleasant, SC
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD PRO
    I have a 2020 Turd Pro that came with street tires. I put the Nitto RG's on within 2 days. Have put 5000 miles on them, seem like good tires. I like the aggressive look but good ride comfort since I spend about 35-40k on the interstate per year.

On my previous truck, a Ford F150 Supercrew FX4, I ran the KO2's. I got 95k miles out of the first set, and had 30k on the second set when I sold the truck. Both sets were the "mountain" version. I assume the rubber has additives so that it remains more pliable in cold environments such as driving in snow. Did not affect the lifespan.

My Nittos were about half the price of the KO2's. The max size for the F150 with just a level was an odd ball size that was pricey. If I get at least 50k on the Nittos, I will get them again, but in a bigger size since I plan to add a Westcott "lift".

22. Jun 14, 2020 at 5:09 PM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    Tough as nails? Usage?? upload_2020-6-14_18-9-23.jpg Just joking. Welcome from Colorado!

BTBAKER and Jstarr[QUOTED] like this.
  23. Jun 14, 2020 at 5:38 PM
    Jstarr

Jstarr New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan Starr
    Vehicle:
    2000 silver 1st Gen Tundra, 2017 Tacoma TRD OR, 2020 4Runner TRD ORP, 1994 Jeep Wrangler
    We pound them over the lava here in East Maui every day. Takes it's toll.
    But I do miss those Colorado switchbacks. We were planning to spend July at our friends' ranch between Ward & the South boundary of Rocky Mountain National Park like we did last summer.

IMG_6214.jpg

Hopefully next year again after covid.

24. Jun 14, 2020 at 9:33 PM
    JustSomeGuy

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I remember reading that the BF Goodrich All-Terrain T/A was the first All-Terrain tire back in the 1970s, but maybe it was the first widely sold All-Terrain tire. In any case, they seem to have very good brand recognition and have always maintained a sizeable share of the market, even if they weren't the first - which doesn't mean they're the best, just one of the most popular (maybe THE most popular).

It seems some people have had few or no issues with them (like me) while others have had issues with them. If I hadn't looked around, I probably would have bought them again. I still haven't fully decided, but I think I'd like to try something else. Who knows, maybe I'll try another tire and like it better. The Falken Wildpeak ATW3 is looking like a popular choice, as are a few others. I guess if I try another brand and don't like it, I can always go back to BFG KO2s or try yet another brand or model of tire. I just hate to spend that much money and regret my choice. But I think I've narrowed it down - it's always a gamble or risk, but an educated one.

Black Wolf likes this.
  25. Jun 15, 2020 at 4:54 AM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    Yeah, hopefully things will be back to normal. Ward is nice.

26. Jun 20, 2020 at 9:18 PM
    JustSomeGuy

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Does anyone remember which All-Terrain tire has a two ply sidewall that is supposed to be as thick as most other tires with a three ply sidewall? I remember reading about that somewhere but I've read so many reviews and sales pages I've forgotten which tire it was and I haven't been able to use the right combination of keywords to find it either. Thank you in advance to anyone who can help!

27. Jun 20, 2020 at 9:41 PM
    LASurf

LASurf New Member

Member:
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    300k+mi 06 AC4x4
    You didn’t buy tires yet?!

28. Jun 20, 2020 at 9:54 PM
    JustSomeGuy

Member:
    Vehicle:
    No... not yet.:frusty:

Almost went for Falken Wildpeak AT3W. Might still do that. But still clinging to the BFG KO2. Checking out a few more too (made a list of 20 tires listing pros and cons of each, gradually narrowing it down). I should make my decision this week as I'm driving around on my winter tires in June - not good! Sent my wheels out to get sandblasted and painted over a week ago. They were supposed to be ready a few days ago, but they were just painted yesterday so I'll be able to pick them up on Monday (prep is key, they can do a better job than me for a reasonable price, I've used them before). Maybe give them a few more days for the paint to cure for good measure. I'll post pics of my new tires and newly painted wheels here as soon as they're on my Tundra.:D

29. Jun 20, 2020 at 11:05 PM
    Samoan Thor

Samoan Thor God is technically an alien

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Limited 2014 crewmax 4X4
    Kings F&R, no sway bars
    Keep it simple, buy based on what you use your truck for and what your budget allows. EVERY tire is a compromise, there is no perfect tire out there to handle everything. Just like suspension choices, you will hear so many different good and bad reviews it'll just make you even more lost on which one to choose. I went with the KO2's and they were brand new when I drove them through snow and thick ice in Arizona and back to CA where i drove in mud, sand, wet pavement, it performed great for me. I kept it at stock tire size 275/65/18 because the truck just performs better and if i move up it might be to 275/70/18. So, choose the one you like and can afford and call it a day, oh yea MT tires dont last as long, they're mostly for people that go offroad more often than the weekend warrior.

30. Jun 20, 2020 at 11:16 PM
    JustSomeGuy

Member:
    Vehicle:
    At the moment, I use my Tundra for a daily driver (city and highway), towing my travel trailer a few times per year which can take me to off-the-beaten-path places with gravel roads, dirt roads or no roads, as long as I can get the trailer there), road trips - could be with or without the travel trailer, local driving on forestry and backroads that can be rutted/washboard surface.

Winters here are short and mild, though if I travel east or west and/or go up in elevation, winters are longer and more severe, but I have a separate set of studded winter tires that I put on around mid-November and take off mid-January, so having the other tire be at least somewhat decent in light snow at the start or end of winter is a bonus. Must be rated M+S (Mud+Snow) or have a 3 peak mountain snowflake to comply with the law between October 1 and April 30 in BC. I think all All-Terrain tires have one or the other. I don't like to run the real winter tires too long because they wear down quickly and it gets expensive, so I just run them for the nastiest part of winter or if I'm traveling far in winter.

So, based on that a set of nice All-Terrain tires like the BFG KO2 (which I've had before, on my previous Tundra) would be good, or maybe try the Falken Wildpeak AT3W or another All-Terrain tire.

But, I'd like to get further into the backwoods and have been previously limited by All-Terrain tires that get gummed up with mud, and more chance of tire punctures so a hybrid or Mud Terrain would be better. Also, might be moving to a rural area in the next 1-2 years, where I'd see more gravel roads and probably more mud and off-road driving. But, it's not 100% for sure, maybe a 50/50 chance, so I was trying to pick a tire that would suit my current and potential future needs. Seems hard to find just the right tire. I've definitely ruled out highway tires, it has to be at least an LT rated All-Terrain, just not sure if I should go for a hybrid or mud terrain. Hybrid seems like a good middle ground though.

Still trying to remember which tire that was which comes with a two ply sidewall that's supposed to be as strong as other tires with a three ply sidewall. Anyone remember?

Products Discussed in

To Top