1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Kind of off topic. Don't kill me.. Ram 1500 Limited vs Tundra.

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Tundras (2014-2021)' started by toyoboyo, Sep 21, 2019.

1. Sep 24, 2019 at 12:00 PM
    Tchase

Tchase MostlyLurk

Member:
    Buckley WA
    Vehicle:
    2019 White Tundra Limited
    In work
    Well said!

2. Sep 24, 2019 at 4:24 PM
    Fire123

Fire123 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Vehicle:
    2015 White 1794 Edition
    7" BDS w/ Fox, Fuel Wheels
    Take a look at the resale values of both manufactures. Incredible the strong values the Toyota trucks hold even back to the mid 70's...RAM is a OK product but DOES NOT compare to the quality and reliability of a Tundra. If you need a diesel then consider the RAM.

3. Sep 25, 2019 at 9:40 AM
    traveller09

traveller09 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Seattle Area
    Vehicle:
    2005 G500 & 1995 911. Looking to buy 1/2 ton truck mostly for overlanding and daily driver.
    Funny, this is the dilemma I am in. RAM vs Tundra. I will most likely go with Tundra. My heart wants a RAM my head says Toyota. RAM beats Toyota is just about every category except two very important ones. Reliability and Resale, without that Toyota would be way down the list. I am a guy who loves the term “bulletproof” so I will most likely go Toyota, but they are pretty “blah” compared to the RAM. Why can’t they at least put rear lockers on the truck, every other manufacture has that option????? Oh, that and they will be the only 2020 ½ truck without a diesel option. It will be a tough gut wrenching choice in the coming months but I know in the end I will come to love my Tundra. This sounds like I hate Toyota, I don’t. I have owned two and they have been the most reliable cars I have ever owned. I just wish Toyota would do more to lead the pack in other areas besides reliability.

BravoDeltaRomeo likes this.
  4. Sep 25, 2019 at 10:26 AM
    Stumpjumper

Stumpjumper New Member

Member:
    Fate, Tx
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra TSS 4x4
    All that Motor Trend cares about is the latest bells and whistles. The big 3 can just pick a year when one of them is the only one doing a major changeover and they will win. I am sure that advertising spending has a lot to do with it to. I put Motor Trend awards in the same pot as BBB memberships.

5. Sep 25, 2019 at 10:30 AM
    Stumpjumper

Stumpjumper New Member

Member:
    Fate, Tx
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra TSS 4x4
    Since you are a former Dodge owner what is the deal with the tow mirrors? Don't those things telescope. Heck they barely meet the legal width.

6. Sep 25, 2019 at 7:49 PM
    preacher35

preacher35 RIGHTEOUS MEMBER

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2018 MGM Platinum Crewmax 4x4
    $70k of pure meh. In ten years, none of that techy crap is going to help the resale value. Hell, five years!

7. Sep 25, 2019 at 8:36 PM
    easleycrawler

easleycrawler TOYOTA ADDICT- SSEM #78

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Easley, South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    17 Tundra SR5 DC Black 5.7
    Hell, it's gonna drop 30-40% after 10k miles.

ZappBrannigan likes this.
  8. Oct 1, 2019 at 9:11 AM
    Corbic

Corbic New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    Vehicle:
    '17 Platinum
    The Tundra lags in terms of frame design, infotainment, technology features, comfort features, interior quality, interior refinement, capability, engine selection and fuel economy.

Who cares if you engine runs for 20 years when you frame rails rot out in 5? "Recalls" are irrelevant. They very greatly in severity from airbags that blow shrapnel into your face to a sticker on a door jam that says 32psi instead of 33psi. I generally look at Recalls as "hey, at least they are fixing it and I get free parts". The real issue is when recalls don't happen and its a known issue. Even worse is when you have to have a 5 year lawsuit to resolve the issue.

100k, not 300k. GM and Volkswagen jockey for that Number 1 spot. Are you saying both are equal or better then Toyota? Are you saying Ford and Dodge build better trucks since they are Number 1 and Number 2? The full size truck market has never turned into the cash cow the Japanese had hoped for. Both Toyota and Nissan went in with their best efforts back in ~2005 with the 2nd Gen Tundra and Titan. Both failed to accomplish the goal and both have since been left on the vine. The Tundra is not Toyota's bread winner and it's treated as such. F150 and RAM are the golden egg laying geese for Ford and FCA.

People seem to forget that you can get basically $8,000 to $15,000 off the hood of any domestic truck. This doesn't mean its bad, it means that is the pricing model. Toyota's model is $800 off and 0% for 48 months. This creates a deeper "resale perception".

9. Oct 1, 2019 at 9:19 AM
    Tchase

Tchase MostlyLurk

Member:
    Buckley WA
    Vehicle:
    In work

I don’t think you came here wanting to buy a Tundra.

While you have some valid points they don’t lessons others.

Opinions are like butt holes we all have one.

Dunchues, Texas Girl and Iowa12tundra like this.
  10. Oct 1, 2019 at 9:29 AM
    Corbic

Corbic New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    Vehicle:
    '17 Platinum

New Tundra?

NOPE. If I was buying a brand new 1500 it would be a Ram Rebel. 8yr/70k warranty bumper to bumper is $1,500, Truck would be under $40k OTD.

Used 2012 - 2014 Tundra to replace my 2005 Tacoma I've owned for 10 years with 230k miles who's frame rails are now rotten and Toyota won't do anything about because I didn't get it reinspected in time.. sure.

As for this thread - OP asked if he's crazy to consider what is pretty much the best new Truck on the market. He's' not. Can you justify a new Tundra? Sure. But he's not wrong for looking at or thinking about or wanting a Ram. There is no need to be a militant Toyota-Aid drinker. It comes off as over compensation.

11. Oct 1, 2019 at 9:34 AM
    Tchase

Tchase MostlyLurk

Member:
    Buckley WA
    Vehicle:
    In work

I just purchased my first “new” truck and went with the Tundra. Of course I looked at the other trucks, it was apples and oranges, no koolaid involved. Now if we are talking Ducati I main line that koolaid lol

12. Oct 1, 2019 at 9:38 AM
    Fiesta346

Fiesta346 New Member

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    2013 Rock Warrior
    if you're considering a ram, the 2500 powerwagon is a nice rig until the reliability issues start

Texas Girl and ZappBrannigan like this.
  13. Oct 1, 2019 at 10:05 AM
    Texas Girl

Texas Girl 2015 Tundra CrewMax

Member:
    First Name:
    Cindi
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra 5.7 CrewMax TSS Off Road

LOL. Go buy the RAM. And if you do.....Good luck!! I had one. Traded it for a 2015 Tundra (2 weeks ago). I bought my RAM bran new in Dec of 2012. When it hit 100k miles, it was all down hill from there. My dad and my brother also have RAM's. My dad's RAM has 78k miles on it. He's replaced manifold bolts. As did I, on my RAM. We both have/had the so called "hemi tick". Hemi's don't last. But have at it! Go buy one, I bet you will be back within a couple of years ready to go get another Toyota.

Better yet, go look at the RAM forums. Read about that famous HEMI engine. See how many people have the dreaded Hemi tick. The exhaust manifold bolts break. Mine did and so did my dad's. Some guys I've talked to have replaced manifold bolts 2 and 3 times before they hit 100k miles. See how many of them are replacing lifters, cams, and better yet...having to replacing the whole engine. See how many of them are having issues with the Hemi. Once you've owned one, (like I have), you will completely understand why people are dumping them. When I traded my RAM in 2 weeks ago, I traded it at a Dodge dealer. I so wanted to go up to all the people looking and drooling over the Hemi and tell them....Don't buy this.

To say the Dodge RAM is the best truck on the market......I have to ask....have you ever had one? Because I have! I can tell you there is no way I will ever own another RAM truck. EVER! Believe me, I loved my truck. The last thing I wanted to do was get rid of it. It was paid for, I bought it bran new and babied it for almost 7 years. It still looked like new. No dents, dings whatsoever. I loved that truck! It was really a hard decision for me to get rid of it. But.....It was going to cost me anywhere from 3500 - 10,000 to get rid of the hemi tick. Well......I got rid of it. I traded it for a truck that is known for going over 200k miles on the engine. My Ram had 108,000 on it and needed major work done to the engine. In my humble opinion, RAM trucks are the worst trucks on the road. Only because their engines don't last like other manufacturers. I would rate the RAM...last on the list!

14. Oct 1, 2019 at 11:20 AM
    RisingSons

RisingSons New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD Pro
    I don’t think the new body style 2019-2020 RAM 1500 is a bad choice... as long as you only want to keep it until the warranty runs out. And like others have said, I’d go for a RAM Rebel... and look to buy if from Laura RAM near St Louis (volume leader with only a $189 doc fee; you can get a $61k Rebel for $48k).

Otherwise, don’t count out the GMC Sierra AT4. I’m a Toyota guy through and through, yet I’d buy a GMC AT4. I think the newer GMC’s are much more reliable than the RAM’s though they are certainly not in Tundra reliability territory.

Cpl_Punishment likes this.
  15. Oct 1, 2019 at 11:38 AM
    g6t9ed

g6t9ed Novice Tundra Modder

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Black CrewMax 1794 4x4
    I'm not going to lie and say that the Tundra is first in class for all of these features but I don't think you understand the demographic that Toyota is catering to. There is a reason why a majority of videos of people overlanding or off-roading are mostly Jeeps and Toyotas.

Again, no company is without its faults and you cannot sit there and tell me there is an automotive company that has not had one death on its ledger due to its vehicle. From what I remember, there was a recall for the frame issue and it costed Toyota 3.4 billion dollars. The airbag situation was not just a Toyota thing. Last I checked, numerous auto manufacturers were involved and, yes, FCA was also affected.

I do believe you're missing my point. Another member echoed the same sentiments on what I was trying to say. Selling the most is not reflective of quality. I do agree that the full size truck market does not seem to be Japan's forte as they have a lot of ground to cover for all people to accept them and not just their loyal market. To go a step farther, you could say the same about the electric vehicle market; there are die-hard proponents and dissenters on the topic, even among Tundra owners.

I had made this point in my previous argument to add to my theory on why there are more sales for RAM or other domestics than a Tundra. And, I do agree that a higher price point does create a higher resale.

Honestly, I'm not one to have a contest with you on what is the better truck. It's starting to feel political. Everyone agrees that no matter what argument you make, it all comes down to perception and opinion. I do think that the Tacoma put a bad taste in your mouth and you've held Toyota accountable for that reason. If you get a chance, try out the RAM and, if you like it, great. If not, reconsider the Tundra when it starts to have the amenities you are looking for. Just keep in mind, if all you want is to have something that's always the latest and greatest, you're always chasing.

Just so you know, I'm not a Toyota loyalist but this conversation sure does make me look like one. I love my Tundra because it's reliable and not something I know I would have to junk and re-buy 10 years down the road. I'm who they cater to.

Cpl_Punishment likes this.
  16. Oct 1, 2019 at 12:10 PM
    traveller09

traveller09 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Seattle Area
    Vehicle:
    2005 G500 & 1995 911. Looking to buy 1/2 ton truck mostly for overlanding and daily driver.

I checked out Laura RAM as suggested, interesting. Anyone know of a Toyota dealership that operates in a similar manner? I am willing to travel to save on a new Tundra.

17. Oct 1, 2019 at 12:34 PM
    DividedSky

DividedSky New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Vehicle:
    '18 Crewmax - ADS Mid Travel
    ADS 2.5's (rear bypass) U748 Leaf Springs
  18. Oct 1, 2019 at 12:51 PM
    RisingSons

RisingSons New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD Pro
    They are a solid dealership - good people (I’ve talked to them and know several people who’ve bought from them). They own a GMC dealership, and others as well. No Toyota dealerships though. On that note, I don’t think Toyota dealerships - in general and from what I’ve experienced - operate that way (extensive discounts up front with the one price, almost no haggling, volume selling, model).

Last edited: Oct 1, 2019
  19. Oct 1, 2019 at 1:07 PM
    jmdwifi

jmdwifi New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Fredericksburg VA
    Vehicle:
    2018 Cement 5.7 Limited with offroad
    All chrome gone, pro grill, KC ditch light and bluetooth wireless controller.
    I have an 18 Tundra and have had 2 FJs, a 4Runner and a Tacoma. My co-worker just traded his Ram for a new Rebel. There is a lot of shit. Gigantic screen, alpine stereo that sounds really good stock. Sunroof, push to start and heated everything. I will be watching to see how well it does for him. He said his last Rebel served him well and he just wanted the new one with the new tech. My Toyotas have never given me problems but then again, there isn't much to give a problem.

RisingSons likes this.
  20. Oct 1, 2019 at 2:48 PM
    Stumpjumper

Stumpjumper New Member

Member:
    Fate, Tx
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra TSS 4x4
    At the end of the day MSRP means nothing. I remember people telling the Tundras cost more because the discounts are lower. I was like where did you learn math. 15% off 50k is the same as 25% off 57k.

21. Oct 1, 2019 at 5:49 PM
    socaltundra951

socaltundra951 Gentlemen Prefer Black Tundras

Member:
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    Black CrewMax 5.7
    When I was pricing Viking refrigerators I learned a lot about what companies that are known for reliability think about features that can't be guaranteed. The Viking was very expensive and did not offer an ice maker...Viking said a ice maker has not been designed that meets their standard for reliability so they do not include it.

I feel like that analogy works here. A co-worker bought a new F-150 a few years ago and it was a really beautiful truck and had awesome features...they're currently in a battle with Ford to buy it back after the constant issues and recalls.

Ultimately buy what you like and will enjoy. It's your money, if it fails you'll have to figure out what to do next like an adult. I didn't come onto an internet forum to decide to buy a Tundra, I discovered the forum much later. I really wanted a Cummins RAM but based my decision on the experiences of those around me.

g6t9ed, BlackSheep and Cpl_Punishment like this.
  22. Oct 1, 2019 at 8:37 PM
    jeffh81

jeffh81 New Member

Member:
    Just a heads up he is a known troll on another forum we are both members of and he is on a one month ban for talking about someone wife being a worthless bum.

23. Oct 1, 2019 at 8:44 PM
    jeffh81

jeffh81 New Member

Member:
  24. Oct 1, 2019 at 8:53 PM
    jeffh81

jeffh81 New Member

Member:
    Having look at both trucks: runaway from the Ram and run and buy the Tundra. I would be in a new Tundra right now, but the dealer was a jackass with me trading in a GMC and he wanted full MSRP on a SR5 crewmax 2019

25. Oct 1, 2019 at 9:01 PM
    FlipMonkey21

FlipMonkey21 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    SoCal Glendale
    Vehicle:
    2019 Toyota Tundra 4X4 Sport
    2019 Toyota Tundra Crewman TRD Sport Kings 2.5 Front & Rear suspension Camburg UCA Method Wheels MR312 18X9 +18 Offset 5x150 matte black w/toyo open country RT 35x12.5R18 tires Toyo Open Country RT 35X12.50 R18LT 123Q 10 P.R TRD Front Sway Bar (Removed) TRD Rear Sway Bar ( Removed) Carven Cat-Back Kit (torque 65lbs to 70lbs of torque) Windows tint Bakflip MX4 Bed Cover TRD CAI NSV air compressor AJT Design chrome delete NSV Light Bar Diode Dynamics 42" light bar Diode Dynamics SS3 Max Pod CBI Full Skid Plate CBI Lower Control Arm Shield Sibi Built regear Revolution 5.29 Harrop rear lockers Rigd mega swing Wheel lock Deaver springs U-748 King 3x16 650 Coil springs
    My buddy got one I like all the buttons the bells and whistles the big screen the airbags suspension but still I think it's not as reliable as a Toyota.

26. Oct 1, 2019 at 9:03 PM
    jeffh81

jeffh81 New Member

Member:
    I cant find another truck that is as reliable and has the resale of a Tundra and Im a Ford/GM guy. Ive looked at each generation and all 3 times it was just more than i could drop on it. The Ramforum is buzzing with members complaining about those turds

27. Oct 2, 2019 at 12:31 AM
    ZappBrannigan

ZappBrannigan The mind is willing but the flesh is weak

Member:
    Canada, by way of Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    2018 1794 MGM
    NVS light bar
    That’s seriously messed up. Thanks for the heads up.

jeffh81[QUOTED] likes this.
  28. Oct 2, 2019 at 1:37 AM
    jeffh81

jeffh81 New Member

Member:
    I hate derailing the thread, but I see that he already is stirring crap up so I figured I would let yall know

g6t9ed likes this.
  29. Oct 2, 2019 at 2:56 AM
    Raidercat

Raidercat New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra 1794
    I ended up buying a 2019 1794 after careful consideration and test driving a RAM Laramie, RAM Rebel, F-150 Lariat with 3.5 eco boost. Former Ford owner for years, they do break ALOT.

I thought the new F-150 had awesome power, but after seeing warped dashes on the 19’s and a lot of them have that I thought no way. Plus after my last Ford and all the crap I had to fix there was no chance I was buying another Ford.

The RAM Rebel drove awesome and def the smoothest riding truck I’ve driven, power was good but I did not think it was better than this new Tundra. Tech in the truck was great but overwhelming to me. After spending time on the RAM forums I could not justify spending that much money on a product that a lot of folks are having issues with. I HATE having my vehicle sit at the shop!

In the end I bought a Tundra. I wanted something that would be reliable and not in the shop multiple times a year every year of ownership. I really like the safety features and Entune may not be as advanced as some of these other trucks but I actually like it, easy to use and has everything I need. I’m getting better than advertised fuel mileage mostly city driving and this 5.7 motor has some real good grunt. The truck just feels like a beast and solid in every way.

My only issue with my Tundra is trying to get used to these seats, they are much different than what I’m used to. So far love the truck!

WFD473 likes this.
  30. Oct 2, 2019 at 7:14 AM
    Glaze22

Glaze22 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Reed
    Vehicle:
    2017 CrewMax
    Well now you have peaked my interest!!!!! What in the hell were you guys talking about in the first place?????????? And if he is right about what he said about the other guys wife.....he is a lucky dude.

P.S. I work for a Nissan dealership and we actively make it a point NOT to try and sell Rams, if we do get you one it has an AS IS/No Warranty on it.
    The Rebels are pretty nice and have heard great things about them!!!

Products Discussed in

To Top