1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Kid seats: Double vs Crew

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Tundras (2014-2021)' started by PA452, May 20, 2021.

1. Jun 12, 2021 at 5:25 AM
    Buckeye1977

Buckeye1977 New Member

Member:
    CREWMAX I have 3 kids 2 car seats 1 booster.
    There is room for the dog and backpacks at their feet. We are just wrapping up a 2,000 mile road trip and I told my wife multiple times, this is my first truck and how blessed we are and how much better it was than the van. It’s super fun to roll down all the windows (including back) and sunroof it feels like a convertible. I got the Crewmax for extra space for them but the dog has plenty of space. I would also think with a car seat and the full size door would also help.

Now on a side note if all I had was a double cab and didn’t know any different and you were used to it then no biggie.

jptshadow, baby-shark and Terndrerrr like this.
  2. Jun 12, 2021 at 6:00 AM
    baby-shark

baby-shark Propaniac and Certified Tundra Enthusiast

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2021 Wind Chill Pearl Limited CrewMax
    Rear Sway Bar, Retrax Pro, TRD wheels and Cooper Tires, TRD shift knob!!!
    CrewMax! If you know kids are in your future don’t even consider a DC. No disrespect to those rocking the DC, they are great trucks! There’s the obvious argument of the rear facing car seat— less obvious (and I love my 3 kids) is how close you want those little monsters to you on a family road trip. For example— How’s a neck massage sound? Pretty good? Now imagine instead of a masseuse it’s your four year old and instead of hands— she’s using her feet! Just the thing you need to reduce the stress of stop and go traffic! One pro for the DC — you won’t dislocate your arm trying to hand them snacks, reset their tablets, pull their shoes off, etc. For another less obvious CM win— if you’re only rocking 1 or 2 car seats, there may be occasions where your significant other may have to clamber into the backseat, while underway, to tend to the baby/kids. That’s MUCH easier to do with the room in the CM!

On top of that you get the full rear window, the CM is the definite winner!

Hbjeff likes this.
  3. Jun 12, 2021 at 7:11 AM
    jptshadow

jptshadow New Member

Member:
    Funny how I have the same reaction as you lol. "Of all the vehicles I have ever owned, this is the best decision I have ever made." I tell my wife that all the time. This is my first ever truck and I bought it for my 40 birthday. The fund saved for this was supposed to go to a GTR. But that was the year after we got hit by Harvey so it's more of a "need" purchase instead of "want". Plus I became a dad too at the same year. Long story short, I don't think I can go back to anything else, not even SUVs. The amount of space, capability and sense security she offers is just simply irreplaceable.

Buckeye1977[QUOTED] likes this.
  4. Jun 12, 2021 at 7:12 AM
    Buckeye1977

Buckeye1977 New Member

Member:
    Another CM+ My kids can be in their car seat and I can literally walk thru.

jptshadow likes this.
  5. Jun 17, 2021 at 9:43 PM
    PA452

PA452 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tundra SR5 CM TRD O/R
    Thanks for all the replies guys. I ended up going for it. Old on the left, new on the right.

[​IMG]

Spyker, Yugo, Cpl_Punishment and 4 others like this.
  6. Jun 18, 2021 at 7:00 AM
    Hostage81

Hostage81 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    SMJ
    Planet Earth
    Vehicle:
    2021 Trd Off Road
    Stock
    I had two crewmax's and one double cab. I loved the double cab because of the sporty look and the size of the bed;however, the crewmax is good for family, passengers and especially baby seats. If you plan on having kids, do yourself a favour and get the crewmax or you'll end up buying twice lol. I would also recommend a bed extender if you end up with he crewmax. This way your bed size is not limited.

Metro14536 likes this.
  7. Jul 10, 2022 at 4:18 PM
    Bradyboyy88

Bradyboyy88 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shaun
    I have a double cab Tacoma now and was just looking at a double cab since it’s cheaper . Did the taco double cab have more room than the tundra double cab?

8. Jul 10, 2022 at 6:29 PM
    GreatBasinTundra

GreatBasinTundra Beer Me!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra SR5 DC
    Kings f/r, TC UCAs, RCI skids, RCI sliders, C4 bumpers f/r, Warn 12s winch, 35s on 17” Rebounds, softopper, wet okole covers
    No the tundra has way more room. The Tundra DC gave the kids more leg room but the width is the most noticeable

9. Jul 11, 2022 at 11:36 AM
    Beach Toy

Beach Toy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    SE NC
    Vehicle:
    2017 White SR5 4x4
    Not enough, apparently...yet. This damn forum...
    Matching! Nice job! I just saw this thread for some reason, but as a car seat tech (job requirement...go figure) it is always a good idea to check the owner's manual for their recommendation for child seats in any vehicle. I had to do an install a week or so ago that I actually had to call the manufacturer about, to get specific details.

10. Jul 11, 2022 at 11:45 AM
    PA452

PA452 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Thanks! Especially these days, I was very lucky to find exactly what I wanted on the lot. I remember when I was talking to the finance guy, I don't remember why he brought it up but at some point he said, "No one right now is doing what you just did. No one just walks in here and finds exactly what they want available on the lot". Even the sales guys I dealt with were kind of shocked that truck wasn't spoken for.

And I'm glad I did it now. That was a year ago last month. And now we are expecting our first child, pretty much any day now.

11. Jul 11, 2022 at 12:33 PM
    Beach Toy

Beach Toy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    SE NC
    Vehicle:
    2017 White SR5 4x4
    Not enough, apparently...yet. This damn forum...
    Congrats!!!

12. Jul 11, 2022 at 12:43 PM
    Yugo

Yugo New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aleks
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2018 Silver Sky CM 1794
    Love the looks of the DC (my dad has one) but when the time came to buy I got a CM as I knew we would have kids down the line. While it’s nice to have a longer bed, no regrets about getting the CM. So much space for my two little girls and I think they enjoy it more than my wife’s new Sienna. (Wish my JBL system rocked like hers though LOL)

You made a right choice!

13. Jul 11, 2022 at 1:08 PM
    JRS

JRS New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCLB
    I had a CM a few years ago, prior to kids, and I get it, so many activities. Now I have two car seats and wouldn't settle for a truck without an 8' bed. At 6'-1" it was crammed. Two words:

Seat jackers

Seriously, that $100 fixed it for us. Much better position which required sliding the seat forward a few notches. Worth the mention even though not applicable to OP.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2022
    DesertDoesIt likes this.
  14. Jul 11, 2022 at 2:05 PM
    Totmacher

Totmacher New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    West TN
    Vehicle:
    mesquite Tundra or blue 4Runner
    Some
    I had carseats 3 across in a double cab Tacoma and 4Runner. (My kids run on the petite side)
    Tundra should be no problem. I found changing carseats was cheaper than changing vehicles when possible. :rofl:

Some child seats just fit different. Diono Radian RXT with a angle adjuster pad under the rear facing one worked for us. They are tall but have a narrow profile. Not sure if that model is still made.

15. Jul 11, 2022 at 2:40 PM
    PA452

PA452 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Thank you!

16. Jul 12, 2022 at 5:51 AM
    Teebo502

Teebo502 TUNDRA LIFE

Member:
    First Name:
    Teebo
    Louisville, KY
    Vehicle:
    2020 White Tundra CM TSS
    Chrome Delete, OEM TRD Pro Exhaust, Red Leather Seats, OEM TRD Pro Led Headlights, Steering Wheel Mod, Window Tint, Bed cover, 2" Front Level, REXING V1P Pro Dash Cam.
    Crew Max all the way!!!! I don't have to worry about my kids kicking the back of the seat anymore!!!!

17. Jul 12, 2022 at 6:47 AM
    king.cong.1119

king.cong.1119 New Member

Member:
    Crewmax is the way to go if you are looking or concerned about space.
    Note that the seat cushion of the crewmax rear bench is also longer which gives occupants more comfort while seating, I sat in a DC before and felt that the seat back angle of the 2nd row also doesn't recline as much, it felt more straight up which is less comfortable to me.

0GopICXk.jpg

Products Discussed in

To Top