1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Key Fob Sensor in Truck Acting Up...thoughts?

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Tundras (2014-2021)' started by Green Thunder, Feb 11, 2020.

1. Feb 11, 2020 at 9:13 PM
    Green Thunder

Green Thunder [OP] Smooth in the Cruise

Member:
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    2020 Burnt Green TRD Pro
    Food crumbs and dog fur
    A few weeks ago I noticed the truck wouldn't always lock when I pushed the button on the FOB. For a while there I thought it was a bad battery. But this past week I changed the battery (problem persisted) and tried my second fob (problem still persisted). Then tonight I got a "key not present" alarm when I got into the truck, even with the fob in my pocket, and it wouldn't start. Every time I have this problem (lock/unlock/no start), it goes away after a few seconds, but it's still not normal. So I'm thinking it's the truck side of things. Whatever sensor picks up the fob and authorizes the ignition or lock/unlock feature needs replacing...

Just passed a scorching 5,000 miles, so obviously I'm still under warranty. However, this kind of crap is never repeatable when standing next to a service manager. Anyone experienced this before or have any suggestions? In a previous life I was a Ford owner and if you want a problem solved under warranty you have to basically rub their nose in it and overlord the process. I'd prefer to not do that with Toyota, but I'm guessing they'll benefit from any suggestions.

2. Feb 12, 2020 at 4:09 AM
    timsp8

timsp8 Former Tundra owner for 13 years

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    NY
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra Limited Crewmax - Traded In
    Wonder if Toyota could see the key not present error through techstream. The computer logs things that don’t throw a CEL. This might be something logged that Toyota can see if they hook up your truck. Won’t help solve the problem but at least they’d know about it.

3. Feb 12, 2020 at 4:19 AM
    TundraMcGov.

TundraMcGov. Your friend. Your foe. Not yo Ho.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jofus
    Burpinham, Babalama
    Vehicle:
    2017 Super White DC 4X4 Tundra
    There was a thread some months ago that involved a troublesome remote start from the key fob. The question was asked "did you change your 3rd tail light to LED?" The answer was "yes I did." And when he changed it back to incandescent the problem went away.

So.....have you changed the 3rd brake light to LED?

landphil, GODZILLA and Omohundro like this.
  4. Feb 15, 2020 at 8:49 PM
    2020TundraTRDSport

2020TundraTRDSport New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    MGM 2020 Tundra TRD Sport
    Current Mods: -Add a sub wiring kit from tacotunes.com (to support OEM headunit) -Single 12” Kicker Solo Baric L7 ported box -Matte Black Emblems complete replacement (iForce, Tundra badges) -20” OEM wheels Bronze Vinyl wrap -Matte Black TRD 4x4 Sport Vinyl for bedsides -Red, Orange, Yellow Vinyl Heritage Decals for 2018-2020 Tundra Honeycomb Grille -AmeriLite Black Led Tail Lights with Fiber Optic running lights -VHT nite shade 1/2 in border around tail lights -Carbon Fiber Vinyl for 3rd brake light -Headlight Revolution Complete LED Upgrade Kit (Front turns, Reverse lights, Cargo lights, 3RD Brake light, Dome lights, Mirror lights, Plate lights, footwell light.) -VLEDs 07-UP Toyota Tundra Front Footwell LED Light Kit (Front and Rear) -Diode Dynamics SS3 Fog Lights (Yellow) -Ceramic Tint: Front 20%, Rear 5%, windshield 50% with 5% ASR strip Wish list mods: -BakFlip Tri-fold tonneau cover -Tundra 3UR-FE 5.7L V8 Supercharger System (Magnuson Supercharger) -7” BDS lift kit -BMC (Body Mount Chop) -Fuel Covert Bronze 18x9 +1 offset wheels -BF Goodrich KM3 37/12.50r18 -Honey De 4” Widebody Fenders (Paint Match) -Dawn Custom Style Truck Cab Top Spoiler (Paint Match with Fiber Optic Led 3rd brake light across the entire edge of spoiler end to end) -Bora 1.75” Wheel spacers -Dirty Deeds BAMuffler 6 in exhaust system with Matte Black Tip -Putco Blade Red 60” tailgate light bar w/ plug and play harness -Hood Bulge 40” Baja Designs S8 Driving/Combo Yellow light bar -Lower grille 40” Baja Designs S8 Driving/Combo White light bar -Ditch lights Baja Designs LP6 Driving/Combo Yellow Pods -Baja Designs FPK (fog pocket kit) White fog light pods -Baja Designs OnX6 10” white light bar x2 back up lights (under rear bumper)
    See Thread:
    2020 Platinum door handle locking sensor

Green Thunder[OP] likes this.
  5. Feb 15, 2020 at 9:35 PM
    RJN55

RJN55 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra LIMITED DC (Flares, Rear Sway Bars, Timbrens, B&W Gooseneck Hitch, Running Boards, Visors, 18 inch rims with 10 ply Michelin AT/2's, Bed Lights, Tow Mirrors
    Had similar issues with my 2018 Limited...changed LEDS, the ones on the back of the cap were the issue....can test by turning the cab lights off with dash switch and see if you still have a problem. Antenna for keyfob supposed close to those lights

6. Mar 1, 2020 at 7:59 PM
    Green Thunder

Member:
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    2020 Burnt Green TRD Pro
    Food crumbs and dog fur
    Holy crap...I totally missed all the replies to my question. Could have sworn no one replied. You guys rock. I was coming back to say it was tied to the interior light timer somehow. I've noticed if I turn the lights off, it worked. I did change the rear bed lights to LED, so that must be it.

Now to remember where I put the original bulbs...

7. Mar 1, 2020 at 8:46 PM
    RollTide82

RollTide82 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra 4x4
    I thought some company was coming up with a fix for this....guess no such luck yet

8. Mar 1, 2020 at 8:58 PM
    TRDFerguson

TRDFerguson SSEM #99/RGBA #8-ish?/It’s a funny name.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Southeast Greater Basin, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2018 MGM CrüeMax
    VLED has released an updated version that works correctly, and there are several brands on Amazon that have been tested by members on here. JDM Astar is one that I can think of off the top of my head.

9. Mar 1, 2020 at 9:41 PM
    Green Thunder

Member:
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    2020 Burnt Green TRD Pro
    Food crumbs and dog fur
  10. Oct 23, 2020 at 11:09 AM
    eekme32

eekme32 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Fernando
    Vehicle:
    2017 Toyota Tacoma
    How's it going everyone first post here for me. I have 2017 Toyota Tacoma SR5 Double Cab. I have been having the same issue for some months now. My 3rd brake lights was giving me a lot of issues due to water. Water was seeping in through the sides of the light fixture and oozing into the inside of my cab. I ended up buying a 3rd brake light from Meso Customs (https://mesocustoms.com/) that houses 5 baja designs rock lights(The coolest freaking 3rd brake light I’ve ever seen and owned). Now, I never ever imagined that was the cause of the fob not working correctly. Yesterday I was googled this issue with my fob not working and I ran into this site. I turned off my cab light switch I have and to my surprise that fixed my issue..! When in the on position my fob malfunctions and when in off position it works perfectly. The rock lights are led. I guess my question now is why is that happening? If anyone figures it out LMK!

20200527_142916.jpg

Products Discussed in

To Top