1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Kenwood DNX996XR Head Unit

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by New_DoorDing, Aug 22, 2019.

1. Mar 13, 2020 at 7:18 AM
    tennisfreak

tennisfreak New Member

Member:
    Bought and installed a DMX906S about a month ago and been using it since.

Absolutely love it and worth every penny. Even on stock speakers and amplifier the sound quality is worlds better than stock!

Only thing I have issues with is random Android Auto Wireless disconnects.
    Sometimes it will go hours other times it disconnects in minutes.

I've read that it might be an issue with my Samsung software on the Note 9. Some Samsung users say its a bug in their software.

I used all crutchfield recommendations and installation instructions. The backup camera is fine and the microphone works well.

For me the $25 harness wiring service from them was worth it. Installation was 100% plugnplay and I was done in less than an hour.

Next on the list will be a amplifier upgrade and also a sub.

Thumper_6119 likes this.
  2. Mar 25, 2020 at 3:43 PM
    graves037

graves037 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Pea Ridge AR
    Vehicle:
    16 Tundra SR5
    3" readylift, trail grapplers on 20" rockstar II's, truxedo lopro, lund bull bar, 20 & 30 in lightbars, tint, LEDs
    Question.....installing the DNX996XR in a 19 tundra, the maestro obd2 plug has two plugs coming out....the white plug with the grey/red wire, and a black plug with a red and a yellow wire. Where does that black plug go????

74EDD217-3C6D-4A15-AF29-D135C3C6C93C.jpg

3. Apr 3, 2020 at 10:31 PM
    Thumper_6119

Thumper_6119 New Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2011 Toyota Tundra SR5 Texas Edition (Crewmax)
    I got my Kenwood DNX996XR installed earlier this week. I also had a full set of Memphis MClass speakers installed with it. (I had neither the Entune HU nor the JBL sound system). Holy Crap! I can't get over the audio quality of this setup. While I'm sure it's not the greatest sound system ever put together, it is certainly the best that I've ever had. (I am not an audiophile, so this is quite a treat for me). The wireless CarPlay has been really nice, and I have not had any disconnections or system reboots yet. I also had the SiriusXM unit and a MaestroRR unit installed as well.

I haven't tried any of the video capabilities of the unit yet, but the clarity of the capacitive touch monitor is just amazing, even in bright sunlight. The Garmin functionality of the unit is great, as all of my Garmin GPS stand-alone units have been. The only complaint that I have in any capacity is the Kenwood Traffic power by Inrix app on iPhone. (I don't have any Android devices, so I can't comment on the functionality of this service on that mobile platform). The Kenwood Traffic app provides traffic services to the Garmin functions of the HU as well as the data for the Weather Widget. You get a free subscription (for 2 years) with your purchase of the unit. I signed up for my subscription, it connected to the service and listed my remaining subscription period, and it connected immediately to my HU. I had weather data on my widget and a whole plethora of data coming in over my Garmin during navigation. (Actually, I little too much. I needed to go in and dial a few things back). However, the next day, I get in my truck, fire it up and let the system boot and connect to my phone. The Kenwood Traffic app acted like I didn't have an account. It asked me to sign in or sign up. I tried to sign in, and it said my account credentials were incorrect. I tried it again, but no luck. I tried signing up for a new account, and it took the information, then immediately said my credentials were incorrect. I tried this several times with a couple of different email accounts. I tried using the same email account that my stereo and Garmin services are registered under, but I got the same thing. Deleted the app, rebooted my phone, re-installed the app, and I got the same thing. I did some digging around on the internet, and apparently it is more common for the app to not work than it is for it to work. It has a terrible rating on both the App Store and a few other online app rating sites. To date, there is no resolution to be found for it, and there doesn't appear to be a clear conduit or portal for support on this particular issue. I did not research that before I purchased the unit. It wouldn't have been a deal breaker for me as these were not features that were crucial in my decision of units, but I should have better researched it. I'll know better next time. I am watching for this feature to be resolved in the future as I would like those data feeds to work, if possible.

Having said all of that, the Google Maps app via CarPlay is really smooth. If I get out in rural areas where cell coverage is spotty, it loses its effectiveness quickly, to which the Garmin picks up nicely. The extra vehicle data provided via the MaestroRR (especially tire pressure and temp) is a nice feature for me to be able to view from the cab. The MaestroRR also allows me to retain my steering wheel controls.

As I said earlier, the sound quality and clarity of this unit (especially paired with the Memphis speakers) is simply amazing to my level of car audio knowledge/appreciation. The unit allows for extremely granular adjustments and tuning of the entire sound system. I don't currently have an additional amp or a subwoofer, but I do plan on adding those. (I have no desire to make my neighbors wet the bed from 3 blocks away, but I would like to round out the system and its range). I got the MClass 6x9 component set which includes a pair of tweeters and crossovers in addition to the pair of 6x9 speakers. I also got a pair of MClass 6.5" for the rear passenger doors (crewmax cab). The sound is really clear and rich. The HU and the speakers compliment each other nicely.

A quick and very poor quality pic. (The shop used a Metra plate. I have no objections at all).

IMG_2558.jpg

radon222 likes this.
  4. Apr 25, 2020 at 1:16 PM
    Danman34

Danman34 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Danny
    Vehicle:
    2018 White Tundra TRD Sport
    Just finished with my 996xr install today. Still need to play with all the settings and stuff on this thing. But as soon as I turned on I noticed 5 years left on my Inrix. Certainly not complaining lol.

A0965698-5E8F-4296-AD64-96FD1620ECF2.jpg
    CF2D990F-696C-48E0-BF1D-18F05782633A.jpg
    27921449-1AFA-47A4-97A7-7DBD3EED57E3.jpg

yoshi82 and Thumper_6119 like this.
  5. Apr 25, 2020 at 4:12 PM
    Thumper_6119

Thumper_6119 New Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    Nice!!

I am glad that your Kenwood Traffic app is working. Mine worked for 1 day and list a subscription term of 2 years, but that was the single time that it worked, and it hasn’t been able to sign in since. I looked it up, and it seems there are quite a few similar and identical problems with the app for a lot of users. I put in a support ticket with Kenwood (designating the status of the request as non-critical as I didn’t feel the nature of the issue required that level of attention). A Kenwood Rep named Jeremy contacted me by phone to try and resolve the problem. We went through all of the solutions that he had available, including deleting my account and creating a new one, but nothing worked. He said that the error is on Inrix’s end in regards to their servers, and that he had no way to escalate the ticket or transfer the ticket to Inrix. He also confirmed that it wan’t an uncommon problem. I haven’t pursued the matter any further. My only complaint is that there is no other means to source data to the weather widget or the traffic data for the Garmin. That is a minor thing, but it should still work. (For weather, I am using Weatherology. It runs over CarPlay and has Siri command functionality. Sorry, I’m not familiar with Androids or their apps and features).

Danman34 likes this.
  6. Apr 25, 2020 at 4:15 PM
    Danman34

Danman34 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Danny
    Vehicle:
    2018 White Tundra TRD Sport
    thanks. I’ll keep an eye out. At least if it stops working I know why haha.

Thumper_6119[QUOTED] likes this.
  7. Jul 30, 2020 at 8:02 AM
    NoKenDo

NoKenDo New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Grand Rapids MI.
    Vehicle:
    2018 Platinum 4x4 Mesquite Brown
    TRD Pro Suspension. Moonroof. Front window tint. Compustar Pro T11 remote starter. N-FAB running boards Bedrug Bedmat XLT DiamondBack HD Tonneau Weather Tech Window Visors
    Bump. I'm having one installed soon. How happy is everyone with the DNX9996XR? I have Samsung S8 Android phone.
    Do you use the Garmin Nav?

8. Jul 30, 2020 at 9:03 AM
    19TurdPro

19TurdPro New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra TRD Pro
    I have a DNX696S, which isn't the 996XR, but it's close. Sonically, I'm very happy with it. The XR is supposed to be better so I can't imagine anyone being unhappy with it.

Garmin - that's a good question. When I bought mine I had to have built in GPS. I almost never use it. In fact, the only time I use it is when I want know what elevation I'm at (useful for mushroom hunting in the mountains).
    I use Google Maps or Waze. I worried about having nav when I'm in remote areas but I use offline maps and its never been an issue.

If you're willing to forgo built in nav, you can save a few bucks and get a different unit. The DMX957XR is the same thing, minus nav, CDs and adjustable angle screen

9. Jul 30, 2020 at 9:35 AM
    Thumper_6119

Thumper_6119 New Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    I had my Kenwood DNX996XR installed in my 2011 SR5 a few months ago, and I love it! I did not have the JBL system, so I also had my stock speakers upgraded with Memphis MClass speakers all the way around (no sub yet). The sound upgrade has been amazing. I also had the iDataLink MaestroRR 2 and Sirius modules installed. Having the vehicle data and retaining the steering wheel controls has been great.

I do primarily use Google Maps and Waze, but I do utilize the built in Garmin quite a bit. I mostly use it when I'm in an area with spotty cellular reception, which is actually more often than I'd like. Almost all of my HU resets have occurred when I'm using Google Maps also. Waze is bad about calling out turns at the last minute, and again, I miss my turns. The Garmin calls out turns way ahead of time. While very infrequent, I've had minor issues with Waze and Google Maps lagging. I never have had that with the Garmin. I do check the visual/graphical map display often, but when I'm in heavier traffic, I try to keep my visual focus on the road as much as possible. YMMV (I moved to a large city a few months ago from a much smaller city that I had lived in most of my life. I am still very unfamiliar with my new location, so I am very dependent on GPS services to navigate, thus, I use my GPS services and apps heavily).

I can't give feedback on Android Auto as I am an iPhone user.

10. Jul 30, 2020 at 11:27 AM
    NoKenDo

NoKenDo New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Grand Rapids MI.
    Vehicle:
    2018 Platinum 4x4 Mesquite Brown
    TRD Pro Suspension. Moonroof. Front window tint. Compustar Pro T11 remote starter. N-FAB running boards Bedrug Bedmat XLT DiamondBack HD Tonneau Weather Tech Window Visors
    Thanks for the replies.
    My hope is the Kenwood will be enough upgrade as to not need to upgrade the speakers.
    I have been using Garmin on my motorcycles since 2006 so I know how to best utilize it.
    Never used Waze. I did download it last night and am going to Lake Erie tomorrow to do some walleye fishing.
    I will try it out then.

11. Jul 30, 2020 at 11:44 AM
    19TurdPro

19TurdPro New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra TRD Pro
    For me, the unit was enough of a boost I decided not to replace the speakers.

Android Auto is pretty much voice control only unless the car is off, then you can type. So you'll do all of your commands via Google Assistant, which is easy, and dead on most of the time.

Waze is awesome, but I recommend you play with it first and tailor it to your liking. It alerts you to speed cameras, red light cams and speed traps; but it will also tell you when there's a car stopped on the shoulder and railroad crossings, which I don't care for. You can turn those alerts off in settings.

Traffic alerts are better than Garmin. Kenwood uses an app to get traffic info from Inrix, which you get free for a year, however, I've never been able to get the app to work, and neither have a lot of other people. Go into the play store and look at the reviews for Kenwood Traffic.

Waze and Google Maps are crowd sourced info and damn near real time.

Google Maps has lane assist, meaning it will tell you exactly which lane you need to be in. Waze does not do this yet. Google bought Waze and is slowly porting over features, but Waze is still better at real time alerts. As of this writing, I cannot report hazards on the road via Google Maps, though I'm sure that will change.

12. Aug 3, 2020 at 1:21 AM
    jwatt

jwatt I heart men

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    Salsa Red 2007 Tundra DC @91k.
    7" BDS Coilover Suspension Lift/BDS UCAs/XB LED Headlights/Nitto trail Grappler tires on Black Rhyno Armory wheels
    I have an older excellon and have to reduce quality of vid for it to work. I use Handbrake to convert file to something like 480p. Have you played any 1080p videos from a usb on this headunit?

13. Aug 8, 2020 at 1:04 PM
    jwatt

jwatt I heart men

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    Salsa Red 2007 Tundra DC @91k.
    7" BDS Coilover Suspension Lift/BDS UCAs/XB LED Headlights/Nitto trail Grappler tires on Black Rhyno Armory wheels
    Hehehe. I only have to buy my Rand McNally road atlas once:cool:

To Top