1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Just test drove a 21 1794...now I'm hooked

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Tundras (2014-2021)' started by BamaBen, Apr 6, 2021.

1. Apr 6, 2021 at 7:38 PM
    BamaBen

BamaBen [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 1794 TRD Suspension, Exhaust, Pro grill
    Current Chevy owner with a 2019 LT. Wish I had done better research back in 2019 and now I'm dealing with a lemon suit against Chevy. Neighbor has a 20 TRD Pro and told me I should definitely give them a look.

Test drove a 21 1794 today and I have to say I'm hooked. After weeks of surfing this site and the other manufacturers, you guys have it so good with the lack of systemic issues and problems.

The Rams are leaking like crazy and the control centers are having real issues. The Fords are the same. Tons of issues with new F150s and they are seeing leaks and control center problems similar to the Rams. I really believe the Ram and F150 screens are the same supplier, just that Ford decided to turn it 90 deg for a horizontal screen and different graphics. These trucks are technological disasters. They're mostly software driven connections and the service techs aren't software coders, so problems can't be fixed without major delays.

My Chevy has leaked from the rear glass/spoiler since week 2 of ownership. 4 repair attempts and it looks worse than ever. All kinds of electronic bugs...radio, climate controls, tailgate. I do love the truck but after today I wish I had done better research.

I was completely impressed with the quality of the 1794 and the ride. Wife was also quite complimentary and she's a Jeep girl. If I didn't have to wait on a check from GM, I'd have driven the Tundra home today. I don't quite get the critics of the Tundra and how it's supposedly less refined than others. To me it's way more practical while still a 21st century truck. God I love the way it drove! and it's so intuitive and simple while still being full of tech.

The lack of systemic issues tells me Toyota is much more thorough in testing before deployment of new features.

2. Apr 6, 2021 at 7:49 PM
    BobsYourUncle

BobsYourUncle New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 Super White Tundra TRD Pro
    You know... I was researching Rams (and Chevys to some extent too) before buying my Tundra, and it was all of the rear window leak postings in the related forums that sealed my decision to get a Tundra.

I hope your buy back works out quickly and you can get the Tundra that you liked!

hANNAbONE and shellshock like this.
  3. Apr 6, 2021 at 7:51 PM
    WAtundra4x4

WAtundra4x4 Retired from active retirement.

Member:
    First Name:
    Den
    Wet side WA
    Vehicle:
    2018 Cement Tundra TRD crewmax limited
    Forward looking camera, Stub Antenna, 3M clearshield. A few other non lifted items.
    I have an 18 with 20K miles. Nothing to complain about yet. They had a recent recall on dim turn signals, but the forum here described the fix, moving a wire... I did it myself and save a trip to the dealer. There was another for software a couple years ago regarding the radar that was addressed during the new car service appt. I just have a limited, I bet the 1794 is sweet. If you want it you may want to put a few bucks to hold it, it may not be around. Some reports on the forum where they are buying used Tundras for more than what folk paid for them.

FBC2ABFE-8AB2-4F50-B655-68D4AAA7464A.jpg

4. Apr 6, 2021 at 7:53 PM
    Maker

Maker New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Christian
    Wyoming County, PA
    Vehicle:
    2002 Red Tundra SR5 AC 4.7 TRD
    I know our situations are far from similar because I can't justify a newer vehicle. But, I made the switch from an older Silverado of such poor build quality that also wasn't maintained the greatest to a Tundra of around the same year range and even the build quality makes me not want to go back. No noises over bumps or anything and it's 20 years old! If their build quality was that great 20 years ago I can't imagine how good it is now. Best of luck with the whole lemon situation!

IndianaGeologist likes this.
  5. Apr 6, 2021 at 7:53 PM
    Kanobi13

Kanobi13 New Member

Member:
    The Tundra cremax window leaks as well..

Only if you forget to roll it up :rofl:

Dcanputt, co2owen, hANNAbONE and 32 others like this.
  6. Apr 6, 2021 at 7:58 PM
    blanchard7684

blanchard7684 New Member

Member:
    the level of fail on most new vehicles is nothing, absolutely nothing, short of a tragedy.

I literally get physically ill reading other forums.

Toyota ain’t perfect but compared to the competition they might as well be.

get yourself a tundra before they move to the next gen in 2022.

...and remember that winning at life at some point requires a Toyota pickup.

Alex38, Boerseun and tttrdpro like this.
  7. Apr 6, 2021 at 8:46 PM
    Aggiesdm

Aggiesdm New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Vehicle:
    2016 Crew Max Platinum 4X4; '22 Platinum 4X4
    2" lift and Retrax bed cover
    if she’s a Jeep girl, get the 1794 and open the sunroof, back window and all windows. Feels like a topless Jeep almost! That was a huge driver for me to get one with a sunroof. Love the openness.

8. Apr 6, 2021 at 9:03 PM
    Downytide

Downytide New Member

Member:
    GTA
    Vehicle:
    Lunar Rock with trail boxes
    Wait til you start hear more about the bed cracking on 5th gen ram.

9. Apr 6, 2021 at 9:25 PM
    Marshal

Marshal Newd Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Marshal
    Petoskey, MI
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 MGM 5.7 4x4
    Went to look at an SR5 a few months ago. When I got there, much to my surprise, it had a sunroof that was not mentioned in the listing...I bought it

French Avocado and Black Wolf like this.
  10. Apr 6, 2021 at 9:32 PM
    ColoradoTJ

ColoradoTJ Certified tow LEO Staff Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
    Welcome to Tundras.com and the last 1/2 ton you will ever need. These truly are amazing trucks. Will all things mechanical, small issues here and there but nothing like what I have seen elsewhere.

11. Apr 6, 2021 at 9:34 PM
    Dalandshark

Dalandshark Infected with 5G

Member:
    Northwest
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tundra SR5 5.7 Longbed
    Eibach Level LIft
    @BamaBen does your Chevy auto stop before you are stopped like my 17 Malibu did? :rofl: Yeah thanks to that lemon I have a Tundra now.

12. Apr 6, 2021 at 9:51 PM
    1lowlife

1lowlife Toxic prick and pavement princess..

Member:
    First Name:
    DADA
    THE GREAT STATE OF TEXAS
    Vehicle:
    2014 MGM DC SR5
    Welcome to the forum from Dallas....

We're gonna need a pic of the new Tundra, and the wife..
    Forum rules.....................:eek2:

Just kidding, welcome..

I bought an extended warranty on my 2005 Tundra, never used it.
    I bought an extended warranty on my 2014 Tundra, just hit 75K, never used it...
    YMMV..................:thumbsup:

13. Apr 7, 2021 at 4:09 AM
    batman900

batman900 Yep

Member:
    Vehicle:
    24-RAM 2500, 05-Tundra, 11-Accord

Welcome to the bright side. That GM-Truck forums thread on the window leaks sure is long. I still get recall notices for my 2019 Silverado, glad it's gone and you will be too. Half the threads over there are for issues, over here they are all about mods and having fun. It's like a breath of fresh air.

Terndrerrr and Cpl_Punishment like this.
  14. Apr 7, 2021 at 4:24 AM
    Lost in the East

Lost in the East New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Vehicle:
    Voodoo Blue TRD Pro
    One of the best decisions I made was going back to a Tundra. Where it lacks in features it makes up for it in quality.

WILLINH likes this.
  15. Apr 7, 2021 at 5:01 AM
    Terndrerrr

Terndrerrr guzzling dealer repellent

Member:
    Music City
    Vehicle:
    Dual 5.7s
    TRD Fox, RAS, 285/75 DTs, dual battery, SS3 Pro
    That thread is huge! I have two friends with 2019+ Silverados. One guy just got his and has no issues so far, and the other got his last year and already traded it in on a Ranger because of the rear window leak and transmission issues.

I was dead set on a new 6.2 Silverado. Thankfully, that forum and this one changed my mind.

16. Apr 7, 2021 at 5:07 AM
    BamaBen

BamaBen [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    The worst thing about my LT is the towing shake. This isn't something you can easily test until it's bought a paid for. Towed 3500 lb ski boat a month after my purchase. From Virginia to Alabama, the truck literally shook my teeth loose for 600 miles. Took it to the dealer and they said it was the boat trailer. Doesn't shake behind the Jeep, so why the Chevy? It's still a problem, but now since i only live 16 miles from the lake, I just deal with it.

auto-stop has always worked ok. I just wish the default was OFF so I didn't have to turn it off every time I get in it.

Cracking beds on Rams? Holy **...that's bad.

The worst story I've read on other trucks is the instrument cluster failing. Dealers won't let you take it home once it fails because safety. New clusters are taking 1-2 months to receive, so people are without their trucks for weeks while it just sits at the dealer.

I woke this morning and the first thought that came in my mind as "damn that was a nice truck." I really want to see a white pearl 1794. That may be the final straw.

Marshal and Brownsfanhere like this.
  17. Apr 7, 2021 at 5:38 AM
    Brownsfanhere

Brownsfanhere New Member

Member:
    2015 Crew Max
    I’m here because of GM. They have gone downhill fast with their trucks. My 14’ Sierra leaked just like yours in the back windshield. Then the front did the same thing. Then torque converter issues. Took my loss and moved to a Tundra. My 15’ Tundra is the best truck I have ever owned. Simple and reliable like no other.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2021
  18. Apr 7, 2021 at 5:48 AM
    blanchard7684

blanchard7684 New Member

Member:

Cracked frame issue...

Cracked Frame??? in under 40K miles - Page 2 - Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

The op had a brand new ram with cracked frame and FCA told him to pound sand.

lol wow.

Brownsfanhere likes this.
  19. Apr 7, 2021 at 5:51 AM
    Bakershack

Bakershack Critical of Noncritical Thinkers

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelly
    Spanish Fort, AL
    Vehicle:
    2020 SSM 1794 4x4
    Welcome from LA (Lower Alabama)! I love my 2020 1794 and really don't expect to ever need another truck!

ejes likes this.
  20. Apr 7, 2021 at 6:11 AM
    Aggiesdm

Aggiesdm New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Vehicle:
    Score!

Marshal[QUOTED] likes this.
  21. Apr 7, 2021 at 6:36 AM
    Bammer

Bammer I'm disinclined to acquiesce your request.

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Monroe, CT
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra SR5 TRD Crew Max 4x4
    Welcome :worthless:

22. Apr 7, 2021 at 6:45 AM
    Broncoman

Broncoman New Member

Member:
    Have 56k on my 2017 1794 and still love it. BTW- I was totally Chevy as well but no comparison

23. Apr 7, 2021 at 7:11 AM
    blackdemon_tt

blackdemon_tt Battery Slayer

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 5.7l Tundra DC SR5 long bed 2wd
    TRD Sway Bar, Roll covers USA bed cover
    That pearl white though....My Lexus SC400 is that color, and I've had an inclination on color changing my 07 to the same color...

24. Apr 7, 2021 at 7:13 AM
    trucksareforgirls2

trucksareforgirls2 New Member

Member:
    Northeast USA
    Vehicle:
    2020 Voodoo Blue TRD Off-Road

Hey are you the trd pro I keep seeing around Londonderry, nh?

-t

25. Apr 7, 2021 at 7:27 AM
    TundraMcGov.

TundraMcGov. Your friend. Your foe. Not yo Ho.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jofus
    Burpinham, Babalama
    Vehicle:
    2017 Super White DC 4X4 Tundra
    Welcome BamaBen from CA (Central Alabama, Hoover specifically). I love my '17. Sits beside my 1997 T-100 that just keeps going and going and going.

26. Apr 7, 2021 at 7:32 AM
    TexAggie

TexAggie New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2017 CM
    OP sorry about your situation. I just made the move to full size from a life long love of Tacoma (growing family) and was considering a domestic, but similar to you I read the forums and was astonished at the stark differences in ownership between the brands from the owners themselves. My findings were as follows:

GM
    • Leaky cab
    • transmission problems (GM still doesn't know how to design a transmission that lasts)
    • Brake issues
    Ford
    • Ecoboost (wasn't interested, heard to many issues from owners to investigate)
    • 5.0 can burn oil and has had engine knock in some cases
    • electrical/infotainment
    • Rattle machine
    Ram
    • QC nightmare (seems to be a lottery when buying a Ram)
    • body panels touching/rubbing
    • electrical/infotainment
    Toyota
    • Gas mileage

27. Apr 7, 2021 at 7:51 AM
    Aggiesdm

Aggiesdm New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Vehicle:
    First of all Gig’Em! Class of ‘93 here!

Secondly....you’re spot on with all your assessment. I was also a Tacoma guy until recently and did the same homework.

All of my friends are Ford guys but I found the same issues you did. The week before I bought my Tundra, I was riding in my buddies $65k F150 King Ranch 4x4 and the sunroof broke and got bound in the slot at an angle. We had to ride home with duct tape over the gap for 2 hours in the rain. Apparently that’s a known issue, but no recall and only fixed under warranty or $$. I’ve bought a 2011 Explorer new and their service reps are always asses also. Always out to gouge you.

I thought that was BS and ended up in a Tundra instead.

TexAggie[QUOTED] likes this.
  28. Apr 7, 2021 at 7:51 AM
    Booney

Booney New Member

Member:
    Northern Colorado Mountains
    Vehicle:
    Smoked Mesquite 2021 1794 Off Road TRD
    Good luck with your lemon law suit. I feel for ya. I did a ton of research, both on line and with people that I know.

I know one guy with a Dodge Longhorn Limited and it's been in the shop for issues with the main display. It's past the lemon law requirements but he likes the concept so he's trying to stick with the Longhorn. I did that kind of thing with my first marriage. Didn't work out so good. Jeep is having front suspension issues. Fords are having transmission issues with the 10 speed and display issues. Chevy is having issues like yours. I decided that I could live without a Heads Up Display or 360 degree camera. Nobody buys anything with the intent of having it sitting in the shop just like they don't buy a big flat screen and put it up in their neighbor's house. I live in the mountains and actually NEED to use my vehicles. I don't want to drive back and forth to town so I can deliver my brand new new truck to be stored, disassembled and put back together by someone I don't even know i a place that is an hour and fifteen minutes drive drive from my house. There should be a law that requires the manufacturer to pay an "inconvenience fee" that would be double the amount of what the payments would be for the brand new truck while it sits in the shop.

I looked at Ford, Dodge and Chevy/GM (in that order) and decided that for the same options I could get tie 1794 about 10k to 15k cheaper. The only difference would be that I couldn't get the 360 camera or the heads up display. I don't care for either one of those options. My wife has a 4Runner and hates driving my old Ford F250 truck. She worries about driving over little cars (Prius). I bought a 1794 last Friday and picked it up on Saturday. She loves driving the new Tundra. She feels more in control. I love it. It's easy to drive, handles great and all the bells and whistles are easy to access and control.

I hope you get things all worked out.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2021
    rv740, Marshal and Bakershack like this.
  29. Apr 7, 2021 at 7:56 AM
    Kung

Kung Dead sexy

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    KG, VA
    Vehicle:
    2020 SR5 CM 4WD, TRD Off-Road, Voodoo Blue
    Spiffy console tray Spiffy N-Fab steps Spiffy Katzkin seats
    I know how you feel. I'll be honest and say that my experience with my '13 F150 wasn't terrible - it never left me stranded, and all of the issues are 'minor' (meaning the truck would drive just fine).

However....the lack of support from the dealership was astounding. I had one of those SuperCabs, where the rear door *is* the pillar onto which the front door latches....so when you tell the dealership "Uh, the rear door won't shut when it's cold" and they tell you "We dunno...but I'm pretty sure that ain't covered under your premium warranty, so that'll be $900 to fix" that's kind of ridiculous.

In contrast, I had a dash noise pop up in my truck after the one visit to the dealership I had to have (a sensor went bad). They told me "Our bad - we forgot to secure such-and-such" and got me coffee and a snack while I waited 1/2 hour for them to fix it. :thumbsup:

Also....as a Navy/Army veteran....good to see the Chair Force has arrived. (Heh - I'll stand by for the customary inter-branch insult responses to commence. :D)

Marshal likes this.
  30. Apr 7, 2021 at 8:01 AM
    BamaBen

BamaBen [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I should have known better. My brother bought an SR5 pickup in 1987 that ran it's last mile in 2009 after years of getting the crap beat out of it in Trussville AL. The thing wanted to keep going, but years of hunting and wheeling finally did her in. She lived a long and adventurous life until 245,000 miles.

Thanks for all the replies. It's nice to come to a message board where people are actually happy and not constantly complaining.

Products Discussed in

To Top