1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Just leave it stock?

Discussion in '2nd Gen Tundras (2007-2013)' started by Noob Saibot, Feb 27, 2021.

1. Feb 27, 2021 at 7:41 AM
    Noob Saibot

Noob Saibot [OP] New Member

Member:
    Lehigh Valley, PA
    Vehicle:
    2008 5.7 Crewmax Ltd
    So I lurked for a while even before I purchased the Tundra looking at various builds and considering what I would want to do.

After a conversation with the fortunately honest sales manager at the 4 wheel shop, who said I don't need half the stuff I was looking into, I'm wondering whether just to go more or less bone stock. As of now I'm going to do shocks and tires simply because the truck needs them anyway (190K miles, original shocks and tires are just street tires) and a brake controller.

I bought the Tundra over the 4Runner to safely pull a travel trailer and because I realized I'm not taking my wife and kids to do technical trails. I just want to be able to camp and see sights off the beaten path.

So am I going too far to think that all over the world people drive these bone stock without mods across deserts, to/from oil rigs and logging operations etc. hauling and pulling loads?

There are many threads when I search of people enjoying their new mods but has anyone regretted not lifting the truck/fitting larger tires, not doing onboard air (and airbags for towing, and air lockers), not putting on a more aggressive tire or LT tires for strength or E rated tires for towing, etc? Not to mention bumpers, winches and so on.

YardBird and Wallygator like this.
  2. Feb 27, 2021 at 7:49 AM
    Cogx5dad

Cogx5dad New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 SR5-TRD off road
    Debadged, waiting on bielsteins and shackles
    I’m not too far off of what your looking at. Doing the 5100s on top setting and +3 shackles this week. Looking to add a camper shell and roof rack, tires and wench. For us that a lot a I’ll need. Maybe offset where or spacers for bigger tires but nothing crazy. Sometimes less really is more.

3. Feb 27, 2021 at 7:51 AM
    Cruiserpilot

Cruiserpilot New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 RCLB
    Probably the best mind set to start, and the guy at the 4WD store probably did you a favour saving you a bunch of money.
    So do that, enjoy the truck with your family, no stress on extra money spent and do what you intended to do initially.
    Wait until you've driven it a while, maybe you meet some others and want to tackle tougher trails. Keep a small nest egg in the bank, so you can afford to upgrade to tires - which IMO is the FIRST most important upgrade on any truck. Never cheap out on tires.
    Then simple recovery gear - tow snatch strap, tire plug kit ( know how to use it ) first aid kit, small survival type kit.
    Then maybe bumper/winch combo as you think it's necessary.

omgboost, pvmike, YardBird and 4 others like this.
  4. Feb 27, 2021 at 8:59 AM
    Cruiserpilot

Cruiserpilot New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 RCLB
    BTW @Noob Saibot I went on a trip with a buddy. My absolutely fully equipped Land Cruiser, Dual lockers, dual winches, long range tank, fridge, tools, food and gear for a month. My buddy - 2013 GMC 4WD long box CC - bone stock! Pulling 19’ Lance trailer. Using chains pulled that trailer for 5 kms through some of the worst gumbo mud I’ve ever driven. Had me sideways twice. Wanna see impressive? Watch a 22’ 3/4 ton diesel with the front wheels off the ground pulling a 19’ trailer for
    1/4 mile through 12” gumbo, that truck was SIDEWAYS! And he got through. Regular tires. I have a new respect for chains. 40 yrs of experience behind the wheel but you get my point?
    Start slow, be surprised.

5. Feb 27, 2021 at 12:44 PM
    greghoro

greghoro New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Vehicle:
    2012 Sequoia Limited
    Coming from the perspective that trailer towing is a top priority.

I have camped 6 months out of the year for the past 6 years towing a 26’ trailer with a 2012 Sequoia and rarely see any rarely see any tricked out tow vehicles for off-roading . Mind you, we primarily camp at formal campgrounds, primarily state and federal parks and never off grid such as BLM land. The one place I saw a lot of off-road vehicles in the campground was in the NC Outer Banks, where they even have public airing up stations.

Note, lifting the truck raises the center of gravity, which negatively impacts the handling when towing.

My advice is to first spend your money on creating a safe tow vehicle:

- High quality tow mirrors, I put factory Tundra mirrors on my Sequoia ($$$). Cheap mirrors that vibrate defeat the purpose.

- Weight distribution hitch with sway control. Many opinions on what is best. If properly dialed in, air bags are not needed.

- Brake controller – I like Tekonsha P3

- Transmission cooler – not an easy or cheap add-on, I did it to my Sequoia and there are several threads on this. I saw a significant drop in temps after I installed mine. No longer an option on newer Tundras.

- Replacement shocks. I installed Bilstein 4600 on my Sequoia, as I had no plans to lift

- Rear tailgate camera is extremely useful for hitching.

- 4WD – I rarely use it except for getting in and out of wet or slippery campsites. Reduces cargo capacity of the truck.

- Unless otherwise documented, attend to all maintenance items:transmission drain & fill, differentials and transfer case, grease driveshafts, bleed brakes completely with fresh fluid, fresh power steering fluid, coolant, spark plugs, engine & cabin filters.

Greg

Wallygator and Cruiserpilot like this.
  6. Mar 1, 2021 at 1:22 PM
    Noob Saibot

Noob Saibot [OP] New Member

Member:
    Lehigh Valley, PA
    Vehicle:
    2008 5.7 Crewmax Ltd
    Thanks guys for the replies.

I should mention that changing to the tow mirrors was on my radar screen, and my Tundra already has the transmission cooler as Standard equipment. Also I have the stock rear camera on the head unit.

YardBird likes this.
  7. Mar 1, 2021 at 1:54 PM
    PlatinumPro

PlatinumPro New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 PlatinumPro Crewmax
    Bilstein 6112+5100s, Rigid Lighting, Fuel 20x9 Bronze Blitz
    i'm a regretter.
    i face canadian winter and being high centred is a fact of life if you're stock. next tire will be larger than the 255/55/20's i'm currently on to a set of tall skinnies and i'll have to bust the wallet out to pull the front shocks and have them maxed out along with the rest of the knick knacks a person needs with a 3" lift.

8. Mar 2, 2021 at 2:35 PM
    idiggplants

idiggplants New Member

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    2013 DC 4wd
    5100 fronts middle setting 5100 rears 3rd gen offroad wheels softopper ditch lights
    i would say 90% of the mods 90% of the people here do are 90% unnecessary and done just cause we like modding vehicles. guessing the majority of lifted trucks end up being pavent queens, and are just lifted for looks. nothing wrong with that, but its something to keep in mind.

keeping it stock and then seeing what you REALLY need is the way to go. if you know you are going to want/need something, then dont wait, but if you arent sure... wait. the enjoyment of getting to see how much it improves is a great thing.

that right there says it all. no need to build a rock crawler for towing. if anything , itll make towing worse. youll look cool to all the other shmo's in the grocery store parking lot, but in the end you will have spent a lot of money just to look cool. seems like for you, you really want tow mirrors and brake controller. maybe some lights for added sight distance at night? air bags for the rear? but again... better to wait till you decide you really need it rather than to spend money and never realize you could have gotten away without it.

i kept mine stock outside of some stuff i knew i wanted... aka aftermarket radio with bluetooth and backup cam(helps hooking up to trailers solo). i was on the fence on bigger tires, till last weekend i got stuck in some nasty snow going into my cabin. by next winter i plan on having a leveling kit and some slightly taller tires with more meat to them.

Oey12 and Cpl_Punishment like this.
  9. Mar 2, 2021 at 2:48 PM
    Cpl_Punishment

Cpl_Punishment Young men never die.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rosy
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM SR5 CM 4X4
    Boost Auto mirrors, RSB, Leer Legend canopy, Line-X bed liner
    We must go wildly different places in the winter because I haven't high centered any of my cars yet...

YardBird likes this.
  10. Mar 2, 2021 at 4:34 PM
    XSPman

XSPman New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Manny
    ON, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2007 XSP DC 4WD
    front levelling, 34" tires, billet grill, tonneau, Nova
    It all depends what you bought your truck for, and how fat your wallet is. 98% of the time I drive empty so I put an inexpensive front levelling kit in just to make it look like I didn't leave my slidein camper at home all the time. But as soon as I throw a snowmobile in the back, my back bumper is almost down on the ground. My view on tires is that sometimes you get into weather/road conditions that you don't expect, so the last thing you want to do is get stranded or inconvenienced because you cheaped out on tires. It's a truck, so you want to get through the snow, the mud, you want to carry extra weight(trailer), and you don't want some little screw to give you a flat tire. So I say get the LT BFGoodrich, General Grabber AT2, or something similar.

11. Mar 2, 2021 at 4:46 PM
    Rex Kramer

Rex Kramer Vinyl Spinner

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2002 4.7L RCLB 4X4 2007 5.7L RCSB 4X2
    I can't keep anything stock... I don't regret not doing any of those mods, and I am happy with the one mod on your list (airbags), but I use a bicycle pup to air them up. I also don't regret the rear bumper I chose... it all comes down to necessity and personal taste.

Treat your truck like the Queen of mud, gravel, pavement, rock, whatever, and she will treat you well in your travels.

Lightning_Lad and Cruiserpilot like this.
  12. Mar 2, 2021 at 7:43 PM
    Cruiserpilot

Cruiserpilot New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 RCLB
    Blood brother! LOL! I can’t leave anything stock! Make it better, build it stronger and :cool: is OK!

Rex Kramer[QUOTED] likes this.
  13. Mar 2, 2021 at 7:56 PM
    gosolo

gosolo You Don’t Know Who I Am But I Know Where You Live

Member:
    First Name:
    Ray
    NW Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2015 DC Super Fine Super White Pro
    2"CB shackles, bushings and 1 shim, lockerdown console vault, rear folding seat back mod, snugtop shell with opening side windows, 46g fuel tank, SDHQ sliders and hidden winch, Decked Drawers, Alcan leaf springs and got rid of the interior chrome
    The simple answer is that the less mods you do, the more you keep your truck stock, the better it will hold it’s value and the less problems you will have.
    Some changes can be cost effective depending upon how you use the truck and how long you keep it.
    Does that make sense?

Pbed85, Leo's first, D4x4TRD and 2 others like this.
  14. Mar 2, 2021 at 8:07 PM
    DeesCrewMax

DeesCrewMax New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Deric
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2018 Cement Crewmax SR5
    Accutuned Fox 2.5 DSC/2.0 rr, SnugTop Rebel, Alpine Amp, OEM LED headlights, LED fogs, Remote Start, RB20 steps, RCI Skids, 10" BA Muffler, 17" Icon Alloy Six Speeds, 15" Tint, Pro-clip mount
    Drive what you got how you got it. If something is lacking or you need extra piece of mind, upgrade when it’s necessary. If your gonna keep it stock you should leave now. This forum and its members are great, but they will make it challenging to stay stock. It starts with tires for durability, but if you might need clearance, or skids, or comms, or or or.

Pay off your truck and make it work best for your needs. We’ll be here when you have questions, concerns, or decide long travel, 37s, and desert racing are your jam :)

Peeeheeuuu and D4x4TRD like this.
  15. Mar 2, 2021 at 8:24 PM
    pvmike

pvmike Home Depot flexing

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    2014 Platinum Super White
    TRD Pro suspension, supercharger, 5.29 gears, Auburn LSD
    Sound advice: There are plenty of inexpensive mods that will have a great impact on your enjoyment and usability, such as a rear sway bar, shift knob, and storage solutions. Even if you leave your drivetrain and suspension stock, there are simple mods that you can do that are worthwhile.

What I would do: Supercharge that bitch

DeesCrewMax likes this.
  16. Mar 3, 2021 at 4:24 AM
    PlatinumPro

PlatinumPro New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 PlatinumPro Crewmax
    Bilstein 6112+5100s, Rigid Lighting, Fuel 20x9 Bronze Blitz
    if you never leave the road then yes, we go wildly different places :p

17. Mar 7, 2021 at 4:12 PM
    CTB Mike

CTB Mike It's RED? My rods and cones must be screwed up!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2011 Red Rock Warrior
    Well, I guess I'm gone...

18. Jan 1, 2022 at 12:08 PM
    Geoff

Geoff New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tundra
    I recently moved to northern Nevada. It’s unusual to find a pickup here without a lift, oversized tires and black wheels. Stock trucks are somewhat rare except for work vehicles.

My ‘08 is stock except for step bars, side window deflectors, JVC stereo and a tonneau cover. I admire modded trucks, but when I have time to wrench I work on my Harley.

58E6F28F-393F-4788-AF7D-F7022ABA2E97.jpg

Danny3737 and Cpl_Punishment like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top