1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Just leather wrapped my steering wheel!!

Discussion in 'General Tundra Discussion' started by CCLJ03, Sep 19, 2018.

1. Feb 29, 2020 at 9:00 AM
    SiberianTundra

SiberianTundra I heard Unicorns get horrible MPG

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Vehicle:
    War Machine
    Camper shell, LED lighting VLEDs, Front Camera, Pro Comp wheels. Trd HID LED headlights. ESP storage rear seats.
    Ok here it is. With imperfections on the rear I had to double side tape

Last edited: Feb 29, 2020
    RitcheyRch and Tundra Dude 45 like this.
  2. Feb 29, 2020 at 4:48 PM
    SiberianTundra

SiberianTundra I heard Unicorns get horrible MPG

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Vehicle:
    War Machine
    Camper shell, LED lighting VLEDs, Front Camera, Pro Comp wheels. Trd HID LED headlights. ESP storage rear seats.
  3. Jun 28, 2020 at 3:58 PM
    A Guy

A Guy New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Cement Limited
    Just to clarify. Are you recommending using tape just on the 3 and 9 o'clock positions and nowhere else?

4. Jun 30, 2020 at 8:28 AM
    3rdGenTundraDC

3rdGenTundraDC New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    MGM
    Central Florida
    Vehicle:
    14 Tundra DC
    305/50/20 Nitto Terra Grappler G2 Stock, stock, stock.
    That is correct because you want it to move into position as you sew. Tapping down the rounded section will cause wrinkling unless you got lucky and applied the wrap just right and since this will be your first wrap, that's unlikely to happen. Where there's stiching, you don't need to tape as the stiching is what conforms the wrap tightly around the steering wheel.

5. Jul 1, 2020 at 7:32 PM
    Charvonia Design

Charvonia Design Enthusiast-Owned Small Business Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    Huntersville, NC
    Vehicle:
    2024 Tacoma TRD OffRoad Bronze Oxide
    Thanks guys, now I have to do this! Anyone have a pic of the preferred tape method at 3 and 9?

6. Jul 2, 2020 at 12:24 PM
    3rdGenTundraDC

3rdGenTundraDC New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    MGM
    Central Florida
    Vehicle:
    14 Tundra DC
    305/50/20 Nitto Terra Grappler G2 Stock, stock, stock.
    Fabric upholstery double sided tape is very thin. Outline the 3 and 9 flaps or directly on steering wheel but do not release the top liner until you're ready. Place a few strips inside the outlines as well. Do the entire flap if you like. This will ensure no bubbles or air pockets.

7. Jul 2, 2020 at 12:45 PM
    Sundog

Sundog Zoom Zoom

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    MNSP
    Vehicle:
    2014 Red CM Tundra
    Very nice look. Dang...too many ideas...

8. Feb 14, 2021 at 9:02 AM
    firenuttjr

firenuttjr 21’ Tundra CM Limited Knightshade Edition

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    21’ Tundra CM Limited Knightshade Edition
    Decided to give it a shot for the $60 it cost on Amazon. LOTS OF PATIENCE. Took a few hours, left it on, and did not remove the airbag. Had to constantly start the truck to move the wheel into the right position for sewing. A professional probably would’ve done a much better job but for the money and time into this I am VERY happy. Feels great and looks awesome.

I needed to add some glue to the areas you see I have held in with paper and business cards and let sit overnight. There just wasn’t enough material tucked in to keep it from coming out. So now you cannot even tell.

Overall, I would highly recommend this upgrade

6EA112EB-C077-4625-9B26-74CBC70F9815.jpg
    02B89E8F-9748-4E37-8624-F3963498B412.jpg
    FDF76662-8B73-4083-8AA7-C5DEED3D88D6.jpg
    F77EB3F1-1370-4B89-A09E-38CFF31E860E.jpg
    EF15DFA5-C8F8-423A-8229-5A8ABEF33805.jpg

9. Feb 14, 2021 at 9:15 AM
    Catmann1972

Catmann1972 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Rhode Island
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD Sport
    How hard is it to remove the steering wheel. I want to do this and I would prefer to remove the steering wheel, but i'm a little leary of removing it due to the air bag. Is there a video on how to remove the steering wheel?

10. Feb 14, 2021 at 9:20 AM
    firenuttjr

firenuttjr 21’ Tundra CM Limited Knightshade Edition

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    21’ Tundra CM Limited Knightshade Edition
    I watch a bunch of videos on how to remove it and was not afraid to do it. In fact I had initially planned to remove it. However I felt it was going to be easier to sew being in a fixed position.

11. Feb 17, 2022 at 4:51 PM
    gomowdude

gomowdude New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    dc
    This was all super helpful info. In the end, I did pull the airbag and controls, but not the wheel. I feel that you have to pull the airbag and controls at a minimum to get a good tuck on the edges. There were a few spots that would have been easier with the wheel pulled all together, but I found it manageable, and actually favored having the wheel stationary. A few additional details of my experience.
    • I found it easier to have the double sided tape on the wheel rather than the cover. This was so I could sew a few stitches to get the placement, then loosen a bit, peel off the backing and then stick the cover and continue stitching. This also was critical for the 3 and 9 o clock positions, the contours of the spokes front and back and the tops of the spokes. Also, taped the edges where the leather tucked. Didn't use much tape on the top or bottom sections.
    • I would regularly go back and use the needle to pull on the thread and take up slack. I would do this every 7-10 stitches or so, then go back and tighten things up a bit.
    • The wheel wrap had a few places that were much thinner than others. As a result, the thread ripped the leather in 2 places. These were places that tucked behind the trim, so I picked up on the next hole as a starting point. In the end it wasn't noticeable on the finished product, though if I hadn't already sewed part of it, I would have exchanged on Amazon. May be worth checking to see if there are any defective issues or thin spots before starting.
    • I did the bottom first, then bottom right, bottom left, then stitched top of spoke to where the dimpled and smooth leather meet (2 o'clock), then did a long run all the way around to finish. I think this worked for me, would do that pattern again. Also, there is a faint line in the wheel that served as a center line for the stitching all the way around. This helped me keep the seam in the center of the wheel.
    • 2 things I would do different. First, be really mindful to get the 10 and 2 seams aligned initially. When I completed the wheel, I realized the right seam (dimpled and smooth meeting point) was easily about 1/2" higher than the left (see pic below). Second, is to really form the leather to the spokes front and back at 9 and 3 and tuck the seam into the top of the spoke where it meets the whee before and during sewing. The first time around (more on that shortly) I left this section too unformed on the right side, and it left the leather loose and pouchy. Even with tape it was still loose. After doing the whole wheel my OCD kicked in and I went back the next day, cut the thread and re did both the spoke section (right side only) and the top part of the wheel to align the seams better. Although I left a little bit of the used tape in place thinking it would still work, and it got bunched in a few places and left some small but mostly un noticeable bumps here and there. Oh well.
    • The first seam on the bottom went really quick. I laughed at the idea of it taking 6 hours, but sure enough I ended up about 5.5 day one, and another hour day 2.
    Overall, super happy with the end result and the leather feel is excellent. If any of the blemishes I caused ever bug me enough, I may re-do it now that I have the experience. Although at this point, sticking with it and will see how it wears. Thanks to all for the tips, couldn't have achieved the result I did without the forum. Picture from day 1 and after restitching part of it day 2. Seam was still a bit off on the right side in the end, but close enough to call it good.
    IMG_0882.jpgIMG_0883.jpg

Last edited: Feb 17, 2022
  12. Feb 18, 2022 at 4:41 PM
    Charvonia Design

Charvonia Design Enthusiast-Owned Small Business Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    Huntersville, NC
    Vehicle:
    2024 Tacoma TRD OffRoad Bronze Oxide

Very nice of you to come back and post all these tips. It turned out awesome too.

gomowdude[QUOTED] likes this.
  13. Feb 22, 2022 at 12:47 PM
    RitcheyRch

RitcheyRch New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Santa Clarita, CA
    Vehicle:
    TRD Lowered & Supercharged Crewmax
    TRD Lowered and Supercharged
    Looks great and wish I had the patience to do this on my 2012 Tundra.

gomowdude likes this.
  14. Feb 22, 2022 at 1:05 PM
    Fish River Tundra

Fish River Tundra New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JD
    Nashville
    Vehicle:
    ‘16 Platinum
    Here is another option as well2A5988B8-F120-4377-A7C1-FB4FDED09098.jpg4F795F4D-E2A6-468A-B9D6-2CEAB8F8E58E.jpg

Tundra Dude 45, WVI and RitcheyRch like this.
  15. Jun 7, 2023 at 8:15 AM
    clay7160

clay7160 New Member

Member:
    Someone should buy yours and use it as a core....wrap them, then sell it already wrapped to another user, and charge the replacement cost, and refund that amount when they ship theirs back...they used to do this on another forum I was a member of for 4runners.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  16. Jun 7, 2023 at 8:26 AM
    reywcms

reywcms New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rey
    Beaverton,Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra Platnium
    Too many mods to come
    @RegGex can share the wheel I was able to source which I'll be adding soon.

To Top