1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Is this too much? 2021 TRD Pro with 3k miles

Discussion in '2.5 Gen TRD Pro (2014-2021)' started by SoCalTundy, Apr 28, 2023.

1. Apr 28, 2023 at 4:03 PM
    SoCalTundy

SoCalTundy [OP] Tundra Owner since 2017

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Icon Shocks. Total Chaos UCA. Deaver u748 TC shackles Flowmaster super 50. Diode Dynamics fogs. 5.29 Revolution Gears. SSW 17" wheels on BFG 35x12.5
    Tripleconpanna likes this.
  2. Apr 28, 2023 at 4:08 PM
    KNABORES

KNABORES Sarcasm incoming

Member:
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2000 Limited TRD AC 4X4 Thunder Grey 270k miles. 2019 Limited TRD CM 4x4 Cement Grey 75k miles
    2000: Bilstein 5100's 16x8 589's with 265/75/16 and 1.25" spacers Flowmaster 50 series over the axle dump Pioneer touchscreen with backup camera Full interior and dash LED conversion Trailer brake controller with 7 pin Bedliner coat bumpers & trim ARE topper 2019: ARE topper with full Bedrug kit and Vortex rack TRD shifter 1.25" wheel spacers (I like to live dangerously) Red tow hooks for that +15 grip bonus
    Too much for me

3. Apr 28, 2023 at 4:09 PM
    RichterScale

RichterScale I identify as a potato

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    WNY
    Vehicle:
    2021 DCRB as base as it gets
    pin stripes (+5 hp)
    I'm cheap and work hard for my modest income.
    I don't care if it's the super mega ultra deluxe,....anything over $40k seems like too much for a half ton pickup to me.

4. Apr 28, 2023 at 4:54 PM
    Tripleconpanna

Tripleconpanna Just an X who bought Bud Light from Target

Member:
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD PRO CM; 2008 SR5 CM
    I wouldn't pay it. But, the problem is the market is still gathering high $$ for low-mileage 21 Pros; mainly due to limited availability and also due to the price point of the 23 Pros being in the mid to high 70s (before ADM).... It's definitely not a buyer's market right now.

One of the biggest issues is that you would be negative equity in that thing for years (loan or no loan); private sales on high $$ trucks are hard to complete due to APRs from lenders right now, so that would leave you trying to track down a cash buyer if you decided to sell it... or take a loss on a trade-in allowance from a dealer.

The ONLY way to even consider it is if it's THE perfect truck for you, and you're planning to keep it for 200-300k; that would soften the blow a bit, but still not a great 'financial' decision.

I've loved my '08 (had it since it was new) and in 21 started looking for a new one (not great timing within the market, but it was time for us)... Anyhow, I got roped into big dreams and promises w/the new '22s (Gen 3s) and waited for them to starting to put out more info and even have one or two hit the lots so I could see one in person. Late in the year (Oct) when more info started coming out, I decided that truck was not for me, and I began a frantic search for a new '21 Pro. Every dealer near me was pushing ADMs in the 5-10k range, and the 5k guys were also throwing on a bunch of BS 'ad-ons' to push their price point too high.

So, I started a nationwide search and was searching and calling daily to land one hopefully at or just below MSRP (seemed weird being willing to pay that much, but I wanted a new Pro and didn't want the Gen 3)... That search was painstaking and lasted over a month; most dealers weren't selling at the price they listed or weren't selling to out of area buyers. But, finally the first week of November, I came across one that had just hit the lot and was listed at MSRP at a dealer in IA (nowhere near me). Just out of luck, I called right when they opened and was told yes MSRP, no it wasn't reserved, and yes they'd sell to me. Had the sales manager confirming mileage, color, etc... (I got crazy lucky the truck had 1 mile on it) and had not had its pre-delivery inspection, prep, no test drives, etc..

I immediately dropped a deposit on my CC to hold it, and told the Sales Mgr I'd arrange the rest of it Monday morning and figure out transport. The entire process was fairly seamless (the financial transaction), the dealership keep its word throughout the process and went above and beyond for me (I was lucky)... We had difficulty arranging timely transport, it finally got picked up 3 weeks later (which made me a little nervous), but they locked the truck in the showroom kept it secure till it was picked up (could've left it outside in a back lot, but didn't). It arrived about a week later w/no injuries from the transport, exactly as depicted in the transaction and I was super happy.

Point being, I ending up paying MSRP, plus $2k to have it transported across country. Way higher than I would have normally paid for a truck or any other vehicle (MSRP vs. Price point), but I knew I'd be keeping it till it blows up (my '08 is sitting at 263k miles right now and I still owe it) and it was EXACTLY the vehicle I wanted; so I bit the bullet and paid a little extra, but I'm glad I did!!!

All of that being said, that vehicle is still priced about $7k above what I paid for mine new (even w/transport costs factored in)...

Personally, I wouldn't pay that kind of mark up w/a used vehicle (nothing to do w/mileage you just have no idea what happened to it in the interim). I'm a stickler for proper break-in and such, and there's no way to know what happened w/that truck. So, for me, if I had NOT been able to find what I was looking for new I would not buy a near new used vehicle priced much, much higher than original MSRP...

I would have done something like this instead. Under $40k, low mileage, good condition w/a bunch of upgrades... To me this is a much better way to go...

2015 Tundra TRD Pro CrewMax (5.7L) with lots of upgrades

Good luck on your search, and I hope you find something that works well for you!!!!

5. Apr 28, 2023 at 5:01 PM
    Tundra234

Tundra234 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra DC SR5 Barcelona
    Alot of them
    I saw a local listing today for a 2015 SR5 for $47K. :eek2:

FlyingWolfe likes this.
  6. Apr 28, 2023 at 5:21 PM
    SoCalTundy

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Icon Shocks. Total Chaos UCA. Deaver u748 TC shackles Flowmaster super 50. Diode Dynamics fogs. 5.29 Revolution Gears. SSW 17" wheels on BFG 35x12.5
    Yeah the price on this one is insane. It was previously corporate owned and I heard the original buyer had a health issue and didn’t drive it. Another thing I noticed is it had all this green powder from trees around trimming on the outside and paint was a little rough which means it was probably parked outside the whole time. Anyways, glad to see everyone so far agrees this is overpriced.

7. Apr 28, 2023 at 5:53 PM
    Ghost Rider

Ghost Rider Mods wouldn't be an issue if money wasn't.

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Cypress, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2021 White Tundra CM SR5
    Might just be me, but not even 3k miles in close to 3 years ....uh....I would pass, regardless the price.

8. Apr 29, 2023 at 6:15 PM
    excelw

excelw AfRo Samurai

Member:
    First Name:
    WW
    AB, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2019 Toyota Tundra TRD Pro (Midnight Black)
    leather wrap steering wheel, front window tint, ceramic coating, AMP research power steps, Toyo open country at3 35”x11.5x18, Volk Racing te37xt 18 9.5 0 offset, Rays formula II lug nuts Warn fender flares, Coachbuilder TRD Pro kit +3, Kenwood excelon 996xr stereo +7” speakers Westcott designs front lift, RAS rear leafs, yota leds, NSV Lightbar
  9. May 3, 2023 at 9:13 AM
    SoCalTundy

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Truck sold :eek:. It was on the lot two weeks

10. May 4, 2023 at 7:43 AM
    AsThe_SkyFalls

AsThe_SkyFalls New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 Black Tundra TRD Pro
    Did you buy it? Lol

Tripleconpanna likes this.
  11. May 4, 2023 at 7:51 AM
    SoCalTundy

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Heeeeelllll no haha. I'm sticking with my 2017 for now.

12. May 4, 2023 at 10:28 PM
    Chad D.

Chad D. New Member

Member:
    Western Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2018 CrewMax Platinum
    And I about shit when I paid mid-40’s for my ‘18 Platinum new….

Wonder what it’s worth now, with 128,500 miles on the clock… Not that it matters, I don’t want to get rid of it now that it’s all set up.

ADS/MCM mid-travel with Deavers
    34’s (35’s are in the shop for this fall)
    5.29’s
    Powertrax Grip Pro
    HP Tuner stuff
    Lots of BD lighting
    ARE Z Series
    Bedslide
    Dual batteries
    Dometic beer fridge
    ARB dual compressor
    SPOD
    RCI skids
    A whole shitload of other cool stuff

Took too long to make it all what it is. Not ready to do it again, so I’ll just keep on keepin’ on.

Ginsterkev likes this.
  13. May 6, 2023 at 7:58 AM
    Fernan6892

Fernan6892 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Fernando
    Vehicle:
    21’ LR Tundra TRD PRO
    Honestly dude look the other way. I bought my 21’ Pro w/15mi for 55k a few months back. The good deals are out there, mostly out of state. Dealerships are still being stubborn, I got very lucky with mine.

14. May 6, 2023 at 8:38 AM
    Ghost Rider

Ghost Rider Mods wouldn't be an issue if money wasn't.

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Cypress, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2021 White Tundra CM SR5
    15 miles?! Really?

15. May 11, 2023 at 3:44 AM
    Shamrock92

Shamrock92 New Member

Member:
    To those who say too much - what price do YOU feel is fair ?

I was offered 58k on my 21 Pro with 3400 miles recently. Simple supply/demand - few people are selling late model used - between price hikes/cost of a new Pro and difficulty acquiring low mileage used - prices are gonna be high.

Honestly. I can see mid 60s for a couple thousand mile Pro well before I could see mid 40s for a 6-7 year old SR5 with 50k + miles. Always will be a premium on a Pro (right or not is personal preference- based but it’s there).

MSRP is meaningless when it comes to current prices. Some vehicles depreciate quickly - others don’t and a small number appreciate in price. Finding a Pro in stock for MSRP was impossible in 2021 - a few places would take deposits and place you on list for delivery in 3-6 months at sticker in 2021 and a very premium was very common especially in Western states and Texas dealers where demand was higher than supply. So if you paid 65-70 in 2021 and sold 18 months later after 3k miles - what kind of loss would you accept ? Im thinking that 58k price point is probably in line.

Assuming a cost of 58k to acquire - dealer grosses 15% on this truck at ask. That ain’t much of a profit when you factor in their overhead. Typical used is more in the 30% range.

16. May 11, 2023 at 8:58 AM
    AsThe_SkyFalls

AsThe_SkyFalls New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 Black Tundra TRD Pro
    IMO I would rather look for a new TRD pro for 70k (msrp) or close to that vs a used 2nd gen pro for 60-65k

17. May 11, 2023 at 3:01 PM
    SoCalTundy

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    It depends on color. It sounds stupid, but it really does depend on that. I've noticed that lunar rock trd pros are priced much higher than other colors. Theres a dealership in AZ that had one listed a few days ago with 3k miles for $55k. What color is yours?

18. May 12, 2023 at 10:06 AM
    Shamrock92

Shamrock92 New Member

Member:
    It’s not stupid to prioritize color on a big purchase - it’s common amongst buyers I think.

What’s stupid is when you pass up a steal of a deal just because the color isn’t to your taste - when you could easily wrap a vehicle these days. I mean - if you could buy a truck that otherwise checks all the boxes but color for 8500 less than you’d pay otherwise and you can wrap it for 2500. When those situations come along - some people just can’t see big picture.

It’s the same when buying a home - last 3 we’ve bought - I bought with zero competition because they were “outdated” - funny how 50k in updates on a 250k home makes it a 300k house. Rarely does math work that way when you remodel a typical home. It’s just updating the right things and not going overboard with customization of you ever plan to sell.

On a 21 Pro - LR is the “special” color of the year - just like every year Toyota makes a special Pro only color and for whatever reason some people go nuts over it - thinking it’s a “collectors item” - time will tell / but history suggest that is not likely to be the case.

Same deal with Subaru and the WRX - they make a special run every year - something like 500 in special color and 500 in pearl white with a few specific add ins and trim touches. At least with Subaru - you know there’s no more than 500 in that color - with Toyota you have no idea (but guarantee it’s more than 500). I never got why people pay such a premium for these - especially the white ones. You’d think they would at least toss in a fake leather binder COA to make you feel special about your “collectible”.

Mines black - wound up with it by default - actually had a 2021 LR on order - dealer called and asked if I’d be willing to wait 8 weeks when it came in - had someone see it, want it and he said “10k above sticker - I’ll call it’s purchaser to see if he will let you have it” semi-jokingly - buyer said sure - so he called me and I said I’ll take the next allocation at 5k off - everyone walked away happy. I mean given the choice would I have taken LR over Black - probably - but at 5k discount - I’d take whatever color they had.

Looking back - I also probably wouldn’t be so set on a Pro - I’d just do whatever trim (platinum, limited, 1794) I could for the best value and dress it as a Pro. Auto makers make their profit convincing us we “need” higher trims - reality is if you could live with some basic creature comforts - the gen 2.5 SR was a good deal - same drive train as the other trims and a lot less $$ - you can always add mods anyway.

19. Jul 26, 2023 at 9:17 PM
    Bayou Spartan

Bayou Spartan New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Black 2019 TRD PRo
    None
    Interesting thread
    And some great points

everything is out of control. Especially car insurance

20. Aug 4, 2023 at 4:59 AM
    RusPro21

RusPro21 Pro is gone! But I’m still here.

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    Pa.
    2021 Pro!! Nitto’s Tyger blades, Arc audio!
    I will be posting mine soon 21 LunaRock Pro have not decided yet on price.

Products Discussed in

To Top