1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Is this my battery??? 5 month old Tundra

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Tundras (2014-2021)' started by ProtoJ, Mar 9, 2019.

1. Mar 9, 2019 at 7:31 PM
    porkitt

porkitt New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Vehicle:
    Tundra Pro Cement
    DAP Tune ESP Storage RCI Skids Icon Rebound ABS Guards AVS Vent Visor FRAC Harness 50 Cal/Antenna X BFG KO2 HID Extra Light Bar White Knuckle Off Road Sliders BAK Industries Revolver X2 Oh Shit Handles Pop and Lock LED Internal and Reverse Lights LED Footwell lights Tuffy Storage Console organizers Viper Alarm and Remote Start
    Thank you sir! I’ll search it out.

2. Mar 9, 2019 at 7:35 PM
    Inquiringone

Inquiringone -Blue N Blac- an a little chrome

Member:
    First Name:
    Ter
    NorCal 408
    Vehicle:
    U can take the guy out of the garage, But U can’t take the garage out of the guy
    Not many yet, mostly stock.
    In late 16 when I bought my Truck, the battery started acting up.
    I had the battery changed out by dealership in early 17 seams common.

Black Wolf likes this.
  3. Mar 9, 2019 at 7:43 PM
    Twinky

Twinky Keep the shinny side up!

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Kemah, Texas chillin on my ChrisCraft 480
    Vehicle:
    07 double cab work horse
    Stereo upgrades: -HU, Pioneer Mvh bs501 -Tweeters, Peerless(vifa) XT25SC90-04 1" Dual Ring Radiator s in custom pods. -Mids, Silver Flute W17RC38-04 6.5" Wool Cone Woofer. -Subwoofer, American Bass XR12. 2.3^3ft tuned @33-34 hz. -Tw Amp, Old School 2ch Sony. -Mids Amp, Old School Autotek Sx275. -Sub Amp, Old School Memphis 16-pr1.1000 -Zero gauge big 3. 0 and 4 gauge copper runs to amps.
    Agreed

And check the ground wire at the battery 'negative terminal' and then check that same ground wire at its other end. Tight and no corrosion.

As others have said, on many other threads too, the stock battery failed on them within the first year.

Black Wolf likes this.
  4. Mar 9, 2019 at 8:02 PM
    Twinky

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Vehicle:
    07 double cab work horse
    Stereo upgrades: -HU, Pioneer Mvh bs501 -Tweeters, Peerless(vifa) XT25SC90-04 1" Dual Ring Radiator s in custom pods. -Mids, Silver Flute W17RC38-04 6.5" Wool Cone Woofer. -Subwoofer, American Bass XR12. 2.3^3ft tuned @33-34 hz. -Tw Amp, Old School 2ch Sony. -Mids Amp, Old School Autotek Sx275. -Sub Amp, Old School Memphis 16-pr1.1000 -Zero gauge big 3. 0 and 4 gauge copper runs to amps.
    That makes sense. I had found an old yellow top out in my buddies yard years ago. It was at that time 6 years old an he figured it must had been in his yard for 1 and a half, possible 2 years just sitting there.

Hell yeah i put a charger on it. And hell yeah it took that charge. And indeed i swapped it with my batt in my car. I think i got anther 2 years out of it. Probably would had got plenty more out of it too but you know how it is. Your brother in law comes over with his wench trailer to haul off a dead f250 and he needed a battery that had a charge and... Yada yada.... Someone confused series and parallel or ..... Operator freaking error... My car didnt start the next day....

Its good to hear a positive comment for optima. Their reputation took a hard hit after they moved and that was a damn shame.

15whtrd likes this.
  5. Mar 9, 2019 at 8:15 PM
    Twinky

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Vehicle:
    07 double cab work horse
    Triple post!

Odyssey is a top notch brand, definitely a good one to checkout. Just make sure you read up on how they rate their batts cca. It can be miss leading if you compare their cca to pretty much every other brand made.

In a nut shell, their cca is based on only a few ignition attempts. After that the batts voltage drops off hard. So on one hand you have a batt in a small package with pretty incredible starting power, but at the cost of less attempts inbetwwen it getting a good charge.

Many ppl unfortunately buy an under sized battery because of that reason. The above reason isnt a problem though if you get the right sized batt.

6. Mar 9, 2019 at 9:34 PM
    Westside_cook

Westside_cook New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Double Cab in Superwhite
    Stock
    I once had a 97 ram. I have no idea what battery it had but it was a beast. It was 6 years old and still going strong (had it tested year 6 when i was having some other electrical issues) when i got rid of the ram.

7. Mar 9, 2019 at 9:54 PM
    panicman

panicman Everyone remain calm.

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5 CM TRDoffroad MGM
    I have a 6v Optima red top in my ‘60 VW. It’s awesome, and it’s job sucks-
    It sits most of the year in the garage, and gets out on sunny weekend days. That battery has not let me down in years.

Let us know how yours works out. It would be great if Optima got their stuff together again.

8. Mar 10, 2019 at 6:26 AM
    Uhhhh....

Uhhhh.... New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2016 Silver Limited DC
    7” BDS, 37s
    ^^
    Edit
    I drained mine like a goofball a year or so ago. Detailing the inside for a couple hours +, with truck off & radio blasting. Dead battery. Neighbor jump started me, I left it running for 15/20 mins, turned it off & it started right back up. Took it for a quick 5 min drive. It’s been perfectly fine since.
    So if the batt is still good & it’s just a drain cause lights were on for a while, jumpstart & let it idle for a while. You should be ok as long as the batt is still good. Also check the water levels of the batt. If they’re low that will affect its ability to hold charge - top off with distilled water.

15whtrd[QUOTED] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top