1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Is it a TRD Pro if you install all the Pro components?

Discussion in '2.5 Gen TRD Pro (2014-2021)' started by veg hed, Jun 2, 2016.

?

Is it a TRD Pro if you install all the Pro components?

1. Yes

41 vote(s)
    27.5%
  2. No

108 vote(s)
    72.5%
  1. Jun 17, 2016 at 12:36 PM
    Black Wolf

Black Wolf Bigfoot Hunter, Sasquatch too, but not Yeti

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    2022 Nissan Frontier SV 4X4
    TuwaPro rack, Z1 Offroad stuff, NISMO suspension stuff, FlowmasterFX Extreme exhaust, AIS, OVS, J&L can, other goodies on the way
    Still, Pro production run is small. Most serious car/truck collectors get pretty anal when it comes to the real deal vs "looks almost like" the real deal. Pro suspension isn't exactly for appearance. Quite frankly the Pro package should include an S/C. They would still sell them all. You are right though, it's not quite the same as the muscle cars of yore...

2. Jun 17, 2016 at 1:58 PM
    PlatinumPro

PlatinumPro New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 PlatinumPro Crewmax
    Bilstein 6112+5100s, Rigid Lighting, Fuel 20x9 Bronze Blitz
    so the question is it a pro if you add all the components and it has me wondering if it really matters?
    i mean most of us would love the mentioned features from the pro but sure as hell wouldn't give up the upgrades from my platinum.
    i've just been adding components along the way to make the best truck for my purposes and will end up with the best of both worlds...well aside from the "trd pro" stamping on the box which i really wish i could have lol.

Black Wolf and veg hed[OP] like this.
  3. Jun 19, 2016 at 6:56 AM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    TuwaPro rack, Z1 Offroad stuff, NISMO suspension stuff, FlowmasterFX Extreme exhaust, AIS, OVS, J&L can, other goodies on the way
    Not a PRO but a Proser: upload_2016-6-19_7-55-4.jpg This chevy LUV does have nice 70's Baja style factory paint job.

4. Jun 19, 2016 at 7:32 AM
    veg hed

veg hed [OP] Thug

Member:
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    2016 Ta-Tundra Barcelona Red
    Looks a lot like my old '83.

DSCF0868.jpg

2cID and Black Wolf[QUOTED] like this.
  5. Jun 19, 2016 at 7:39 AM
    DLack33

DLack33 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Vehicle:
    2010 Slate Tundra SR5
    I have an SR5 but still want a black TRD PRO sticker on the truck bed just cause it's cheap and looks nice lol

veg hed[OP] likes this.
  6. Jun 19, 2016 at 4:25 PM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    No offense, but I personally would never do that. Why not put on some fake diesel chrome bling too while you are at it?, after all you might confuse some of us that there is a Tundra diesel. Cheap is not a bad thing unless it's poser cheap. Just sayin.:crapstorm:

Last edited: Jun 19, 2016
    zcarpenter92, 2cID and veg hed[OP] like this.
  7. Jun 19, 2016 at 4:32 PM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    I would buy a stupid Smart Car and enter it in the Baja 1000 first before putting a fake job bullshit sticker that has absolutely nothing to do at all with my truck. Nothing tee's me of more than fake shit.
    If I ever did decide to race a Smart Car in the Baja 1000, I'd come here first to have a lottery to select someone to keep my brewkies cold. (I would definitely make sure my Baja Smart car had a fake BS TRD Pro sticker on it. In black of course!!) Don't disrespect Pro owners here by putting on a stupid fake sticker on your non Pro Tundra. IMHO. Next...............?

2cID likes this.
  8. Jun 19, 2016 at 4:45 PM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    Might want to revisit your "appearance package " aspect for the Pro. Plenty of info here and the rest on the internet. Just sayin...........

Last edited: Jul 27, 2016
  9. Jun 19, 2016 at 4:51 PM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    Depends on what kind of "pro" you are looking for. :rofl::cookiemonster:

10. Jun 19, 2016 at 6:14 PM
    DLack33

DLack33 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Vehicle:
    2010 Slate Tundra SR5
    Calm down, I don't have a lot of money to put into my truck and I was being a lil sarcastic. I see them on SR5's all the time that you know aren't pros, I don't get heated over it though.

11. Jun 20, 2016 at 11:02 AM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    I love sarcasm too. I also see a lot of TRD bed stickers on non TRD's. There are some pretty cool variations of the PRO/TRD bed stickers on Amazon.

12. Jun 20, 2016 at 2:34 PM
    owslystnly

owslystnly New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    White 2016 SR5 Crewmax w/ SR5 upgrade+TRD Offroad
    Nothing yet
    Short answer: No. Mods don't really ever add to the resale value of a vehicle. If you install everything properly is it the same? Sure. Will you get that value for it in sale. Nope.

Enjoy modding your vehicle for your own personal happiness. It doesn't mean much to anybody else.

13. Jun 24, 2016 at 5:05 AM
    Talstar

Talstar New Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    15 Tundra TRD PRO
    You can make it 500hp like I did my Pro

14. Jul 27, 2016 at 1:08 PM
    Maddog94

Maddog94 New Member

Member:
    Not in North Carolina though!

15. Jul 27, 2016 at 6:29 PM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    Apparently there is zero need for a CoachBuilder/ToyTec shackle in NC. (or common sense)

Tundra13jr likes this.
  16. Jul 28, 2016 at 9:50 AM
    joonbug

joonbug °°°°°°°°°°

Member:
    First Name:
    Joon
    NorCal - Dublin
    Vehicle:
    2020 Long Travel DC
    One of my clients just came into my shop and showed me a pic of his new (used) car. An older 3 series BMW. It had the M3 badge, lol. Knowing the answer, I asked him if it was an M3, he said no. I asked him why the badge is on there, he said because the previous owner put it on. I asked him if the previous owner still owns the car, he said no. I asked him if he's going to take it off, he said no. I asked him why not, he said because it looks cool. JEEZUS CHRIST!!! Same goes for an SR5 with a Pro sticker. But if someone added the Pro Suspension, Pro exhaust, Pro Grille and Pro wheels, I would let it slide. But the worst one I ever seen was a Mercedes badge on a Hyundai Genesis. :smack:

17. Aug 14, 2016 at 6:24 PM
    SOCO Tundra

SOCO Tundra When do you stop being the FNG?

Member:
    First Name:
    bsr
    SOCO
    Vehicle:
    '16 SR5 TRD Off Road, DBL Cab, Super White
    Leer topper, MagnaFlow, TRD CAI, TRD Hvy skid plate, and I want less chrome!
    There's a youtube vid of some guy adding all TRD PRO stuff. So if it's all bolt on components, then why not a pseudo TRD PRO. If the only diff is shocks, skid plate, grill, lights, exhaust, tires, embossed bed, and a shift knob....then if it's not a TRD PRO, it's exactly the same minus the decals and bed? Just get a minor lift and lockers and pull the PRO when it's stuck.

18. Aug 14, 2016 at 7:02 PM
    bsktball55

bsktball55 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    16 Tundra TRD Pro
    Bakflip MX4 Toneau cover Esp storage Audio system (Helix speakers, JL audio amp and sub) Front windows and windshield tinted LED interior and bed lights
    A local dealership had a 4Runner and a Tacoma in their showroom that had Pro badges on them. Something looked off about the 4runner and then I saw the Tacoma. I knew for a fact that there are no 2015 Tacoma Pros so I knew it wasn't right. While talking to the salesman, he said we can do anything you want with the truck, those two on the showroom, we put lifts and tires on them... To me that was false advertisement for a dealer to put Pro badges on brand new cars when they weren't actually Pros.

19. Aug 15, 2016 at 7:31 AM
    ToyotaTundraMike

ToyotaTundraMike Not A New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    Seriously? That is bad business on the part of that dealer. Hope somebody calls them out on that. I would be pissed if I bought a truck as a "TRD Pro" and it didn't have any pro components besides the sticker...

20. Aug 15, 2016 at 8:06 AM
    Mike

Mike Tread lightly.

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    south carolina
    Vehicle:
    2003 tundra sr5 4x4 stepside....
    yep bank account is running low from it..
  21. Aug 15, 2016 at 8:41 AM
    bsktball55

bsktball55 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    16 Tundra TRD Pro
    Bakflip MX4 Toneau cover Esp storage Audio system (Helix speakers, JL audio amp and sub) Front windows and windshield tinted LED interior and bed lights
  22. Aug 15, 2016 at 8:48 AM
    bsktball55

bsktball55 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    16 Tundra TRD Pro
    Yep, on their website they are calling them TRD Pro custom builds. I'm not seeing them on the pictures, but when I was in their showroom a couple months back they had a Tacoma and a 4Runner that had the TRD Pro badges on them, but they weren't Pro's. http://www.toyotaofwestcounty.com/c...pa_vehicle-condition=new&_sft_pa_model=tacoma

23. Aug 15, 2016 at 8:57 AM
    Mike

Mike Tread lightly.

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    south carolina
    Vehicle:
    If they call them TRD pro custom builds.. notice the word custom not factory it's all in the wording and it's not bad business, people FAIL to READ...

24. Aug 15, 2016 at 9:02 AM
    bsktball55

bsktball55 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    16 Tundra TRD Pro
    but when you walk into their showroom and they have a vehicle that has the TRD Pro badge on it, I feel that is false advertisement. Personally, I don't think they should be using the term TRD Pro at all custom build or not. It's not a TRD Pro in any sense of the word. Call it a Tacoma custom build if you want, but leave out the TRD Pro, to me it is deceiving.

csuviper likes this.
  25. Aug 15, 2016 at 9:04 AM
    Mike

Mike Tread lightly.

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    south carolina
    Vehicle:
    It's not false advertising when they put custom in there....

26. Aug 15, 2016 at 9:08 AM
    bsktball55

bsktball55 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    16 Tundra TRD Pro
    I guess to me if you put TRD Pro custom build that means you started with a Pro and slapped some custom accessories on it. Not started with a Tacoma and put non Pro accessories on it and call it a Pro.

27. Aug 15, 2016 at 9:22 AM
    Mike

Mike Tread lightly.

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    south carolina
    Vehicle:
    I understand your point your making and I do.. but into days world, one word makes the difference... What they are doing is legal, all have to do is put the word custom in there and it's game.

28. Aug 15, 2016 at 9:30 AM
    ColoradoTJ

ColoradoTJ Certified tow LEO Staff Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
    Know what I love about Tundra boards?

The trucks are pretty rock solid so the members get to argue about stupid shit like this thread and many other topics.

I like it!!! Better than the alternative of many threads about how our trucks are broke down all the time....

trayday, csuviper and Black Wolf like this.
  29. Aug 15, 2016 at 9:46 AM
    ToyotaTundraMike

ToyotaTundraMike Not A New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    I guess that's why you should always research the vehicle before you buy it. Someone who isn't as informed as us on this board might hear the "Custom TRD Pro" and think its an actual pro. When in reality it's a regular SR5 truck with a shitty rough country lift and a TRD Pro sticker.

Sure it isn't illegal since they added the "custom", but IMO it's still an attempt to rip people off by charging them god knows how much extra just for a crap lift and some stickers. That would be enough to make me stay away from that dealership.

I think at the very least they should name it something other than "Custom TRD PRO" since it literally doesn't have one single item that comes on the TRD Pro. On one of the trucks it says "TRD PRO Package Added", but it doesn't have the fox shocks, the rigid industries fogs, the custom grille OR the custom wheels that come on the Pro Tacoma.....as a matter of fact after looking at every one of the trucks that they have labeled "Custom TRD PRO", there isn't one item from the actual TRD PRO on ANY of these trucks. All they have is a different style wheels and rough country lifts.

30. Aug 15, 2016 at 9:49 AM
    BlueFalconActual

BlueFalconActual Field Day Inspector Extraordinaire

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    29 Palms, CA
    Vehicle:
    Tundra-less
    Putting on the corresponding parts doesn't change the VIN number and make it a TRD Pro.

Just like slicing your gentlemans sausage into a banana split doesn't change Bruce Jenner's chromosomes and make him a chick.

Products Discussed in

To Top