1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Ironman4x4 Tundra Lighting and grounding questions

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by _fshoutawater_, Dec 20, 2023.

1. Dec 20, 2023 at 12:03 AM
    _fshoutawater_

_fshoutawater_ [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Grant
    Vehicle:
    2018 Cement TRD Off Road Tundra
    Camburg upper Control arms Fox 2.0 Shocks Front/Rear Deaver U748 Springs 35" x 12.5" x 18" BF Goodrich KO's Ironman 4x4 Front Bumper with LED lighting
    So...newbie when it comes to electrical, let alone mechanics.

I have a 2018 Tundra, recently bought an ironman4x4 front bumper. Love the look and finally a bumper that fits well with the Tundra frame IMOH.

I linked up the outer two ambers to my fogs.

I have two more sets of cube lights. I connected the reds from passenger to the appropriate driver side cube (matching order) and connected into my Auxbeam 6 gang control board.

I then connected my grounds in this manner...#2 passenger with #2 driver cube, and #3 passenger with #3 driver cube in a ground terminal. So all in all, I had three ground terminals with two grounds in two, and one for my center LED light bar.

I stacked and connected all three terminals to the frame in with a bolt like attached.

Scratching my head because only my driver's side cubes turn on lol...

Is this a grounding issue, or should I go back and make sure my connectors didn't come apart from the passenger side lights when I wired on the extensions?

Or do I need a washer under the terminals to get a proper ground? Terminals to car battery for ground? I feel it is something simple...

The auxbeam panel lights up and the lights all turn on including the light bar, but only my driver cubes #2/#3. Fogs work on both sides thank goodness, did something right.

Maybe wire each ground individually with a terminal to ensure a better ground? I was thinking maybe I crunched some copper twisting two grounds and forcing into one terminal.

Please help with suggestions and a checklist.

IMG_9306.jpg

2. Dec 20, 2023 at 5:22 AM
    MadMaxCanon

MadMaxCanon New Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    '21 CM SR5 4x4 6 seater
    Too many, but not enough....
    I have always done my grounds directly to the battery or to a bus bar that is connected directly to the battery. Have you tried removing the connections on the frame and connecting each one to the negative on the battery to see if they will work that way? That would tell you if there is a connection issue on the frame bolt. Also, I dont usually stack ground wires, I like to connect each one seperately, this is where the bus bar comes in handy.

Did you connect your ambers to the fogs via a split harness? This is how I did mine and they work perfectly fine with the factory controls. My additional fogs I connected to my switch pro, grounded to the bus bar which goes directly to the battery.

Saltyhero13 likes this.
  3. Dec 20, 2023 at 6:02 AM
    Cruzer

Cruzer Wheeling Full Size

Member:
    First Name:
    Cruz
    Sunnyvale, CA
    Vehicle:
    Build Page: Cruzer's Re-Build for the Rubicon
    Did you remove the paint so that the ground contacts bare metal?

RobertD, Saltyhero13 and MadMaxCanon like this.
  4. Dec 20, 2023 at 6:33 AM
    _fshoutawater_

_fshoutawater_ [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Grant
    Vehicle:
    2018 Cement TRD Off Road Tundra
    Camburg upper Control arms Fox 2.0 Shocks Front/Rear Deaver U748 Springs 35" x 12.5" x 18" BF Goodrich KO's Ironman 4x4 Front Bumper with LED lighting
    I was going to try and do a ground to a separate terminal, then test to battery...and as far as paint, no, it was on paint as you see inside the frame. Was not sanded away at all...although I did rough it up. A buddy said use a star washer to dig into the paint/frame as well?

5. Jan 29, 2024 at 10:31 AM
    Scud

Scud New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2017 1794 Tundra Super White
    Working on it :-)
    This is new to me and just started looking into the Auxbeam because I purchased the Ironman bumper also. Shouldn't all of the grounds go to the appropriate # position on the Auxbeam relay box and not grounded individually?

6. Feb 13, 2024 at 3:22 PM
    Scud

Scud New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2017 1794 Tundra Super White
    Working on it :-)

Products Discussed in

To Top