1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Ironman 4x4 Suspension

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by linwozzle, Apr 1, 2020.

1. Jan 14, 2021 at 12:22 PM
    Bravohook

Bravohook New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Addame
    NY
    Vehicle:
    2007 RCSB
    Cool Things

I have that tool works good. I used it on some Fox 2.0's last winter that I was going to mount but never did. Tool works great but do not DO NOT use any sort of impact tool on it. It will strip the threads and you'll have a ticking time bomb on your hands. Use a good ratchet and go slow evenly on both sides at a time. And you should be good to go. Really only need to take a little tension off the spring to get the collars to move

2. Jan 14, 2021 at 7:53 PM
    speckmon

speckmon Must. Have. Pow.

Member:
    Thornton, CO
    Vehicle:
    '07 mountain road bomber
    now this lift is almost a grand more than it was just before Christmas. I was really intrigued before, because my buddy got it for his Tacoma, but now it's approaching King territory and I might as well save for more proven parts.

LarryDangerfield and Skew12 like this.
  3. Jan 14, 2021 at 9:18 PM
    Wallygator

Wallygator Well Zippedy Da Do!

Member:
    As in getting an entire lift kit for the price of two Kings coilovers? Or are you saying this lift kit is close the same price as a Kings lift kit?

4. Jan 14, 2021 at 9:38 PM
    NWPirate

NWPirate Tesla kool-aid connoisseur

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    WA
    Vehicle:
    2017 SR5 TRD CM 2004 TRD Snow Goat
    :popcorn:
    Interested in these coilovers @ 2" on a 04 Sequoia, post up some reviews when ya can!

5. Jan 14, 2021 at 10:50 PM
    speckmon

Member:
    Thornton, CO
    Vehicle:
    '07 mountain road bomber
    I'm a bit up in the air.

I'm undecided on what route I want to eventually go on my suspension revamp, but seeing them keep raising their prices doesn't give me the urge to buy as I once had. Now that the price is so much higher than it was when I initially looked at them mid last year, I kinda don't feel like giving them my $. At the rate I'm saving, I can wait a few more months and get some really badass parts.

Or I can spread that money out on a few other things and do the OME lift that a lot of guys are way happy with. If I go that route, I'd probably have the local leaf spring shop add a few leafs and re-arch my stock springs for the rear lift - so it'd be a lot cheaper than going the ironman route.

I've got Icon 2.5's that need to be rebuilt and the rest is stock @160k miles, so it's time to make a choice here soon.

Wallygator[QUOTED] likes this.
  6. Jan 15, 2021 at 5:18 AM
    Juanjoolio007

Juanjoolio007 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2019 Silver Sky Platinum Crew Max
    Bed Rug, Tonneau cover, Window visors, Console organizer, Weather Tech's
    It looks like the same price...well except it’s not currently 20% off like it was for most of the last couple months. They do have that other option now that pops up at the top for 3GS that has a bunch of other stuff with it that isn’t lift related.

Wallygator likes this.
  7. Jan 15, 2021 at 6:09 AM
    CowboyTaco

CowboyTaco New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma DCSB
    I've never heard of needing a spring compressor to make adjustments to an adjustable coil over. Sure, it might make things easier to remove some of the tension; but it doesn't seem like it would be necessary to remove preload. A spanner wrench should be all that you need. The last set of coilovers I purchased came with one...

AggiePhil, equin and HulkSmurf14 like this.
  8. Jan 15, 2021 at 7:24 AM
    Hugemoose

Hugemoose New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Philly
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra Crewmax
    Not enough....
    Wait for another 20% off sale. I do think they raised their prices a little bit since last year unfortunately, but still pretty reasonable prices considering you're getting a full leaf pack and upper control arms for just over $2k shipped to your front door. King's you're going to spend well over $2k just for the coilovers and rear shocks. And frankly, 98% of guys on this forum don't need Kings. They are extremely overkill, even though they are fantastic.

I'm really up in the air on these or Dobinsons, especially since they now have an adjustable coilover option.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2021
    TOYOTARIG, Wallygator and Sunnier like this.
  9. Jan 15, 2021 at 11:50 AM
    speckmon

Member:
    Thornton, CO
    Vehicle:
    '07 mountain road bomber
    Yeah that's kind of my thoughts. I'm gonna wait till I have a lot of cash around and pull the trigger when I'm buzzed one night lol.

I would use the Kings though. Our camping spots are gnarly to get to and sometimes require about 3 hours offroad to get to.

Either way itll be nice to get some new suspension goodies.

Wallygator and Hugemoose[QUOTED] like this.
  10. Jan 15, 2021 at 11:54 AM
    Hugemoose

Hugemoose New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Philly
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra Crewmax
    Not enough....
    Hahahaha that is a good plan. And sure Kings would definitely be better, but really, they work their best at high sustained speed off-road. So even 3 hours off-road at a decent clip I'm sure these will still do just fine and way outshine factory suspension.

Wallygator and HulkSmurf14 like this.
  11. Jan 15, 2021 at 1:54 PM
    BHG

BHG New Member

Member:
    I installed the Ironman foam cell pro stage 2. The new UCA's are really close to the stock wheels and tires. Only enough room to get part of my hand in between. Is this normal? I'm afraid if I put a bigger tire on it will rub. Thoughts? I really didn't want to have to use aftermarket wheels. I like the TRD ones.

coexplorer likes this.
  12. Jan 15, 2021 at 2:41 PM
    HulkSmurf14

HulkSmurf14 ...Weighted Average...

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra Limited
    Tastefully enhanced...
    TRDOR wheels are good for a couple upsizes in tires...you will need to re-evaluate you future tire size or wheel if you want to make more changes...have you aligned it yet? You might get more caster off your LCAs still if you have yet to do so.. granted, not helping the gap situation...

13. Jan 15, 2021 at 2:54 PM
    LarryDangerfield

LarryDangerfield Put me in coach! Staff Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Northern Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    Cement 2020 Trail Limo off-road Tacoma
    Tuxmat floor mats, Bilstein 6112s and 5160s
    I know it's not apples to apples but I had ironman 4x4 on my Nissan frontier and I beat the piss out of The FCPs. Most capable suspension I've personally experienced. I got carried away over and over again and it came back for more. Got to the point where I saw a big dip or stretch of potholes on logging roads and sped up yeehawing and shit:anonymous:

14. Jan 15, 2021 at 2:56 PM
    BHG

BHG New Member

Member:

I'd like to go with a 285/75R18 which is basically 34.8" or a 295/70 which is basically a 34.5" on the stock TRD rims. I had a 3 inch lift on my last Tundra and ran 285/75s on stock wheels but I used stock UCA's on that truck with zero issues.

CorsoTundra likes this.
  15. Jan 16, 2021 at 6:59 AM
    Wallygator

Member:
    You can also call Ironman and ask, I'm sure they have a lot of experience on what works and what doesn't with those UCA's

HulkSmurf14 likes this.
  16. Jan 16, 2021 at 7:55 AM
    BHG

BHG New Member

Member:

I did call ironman several times and sent pictures. They don't have anything to say other than "yes it does look close"! I should have went with a more popular suspension.

17. Jan 16, 2021 at 8:44 AM
    Wallygator

Member:

Sounds like you may have spoke with one of those yahoo sales associates some other guys were talking about earlier in this thread. Maybe call back and demand to talk to a technician. As far as "more popular suspension", Ironman is just as popular as ARB IMO. I think you will be fine but if not you can always put some high quality spacers on if you don't want to get rid of your stock rims. That's probably what I will do if I have to because I am not getting rid of my stock rims. In fact I am not going to go to a bigger tire than I already have.

18. Jan 16, 2021 at 9:07 AM
    BHG

BHG New Member

Member:
    That's what I'm going to end up doing. Gonna look for some 2 inch hub centric spacers. Hopefully I'll be able to fit the tires I want on there then.

Wallygator likes this.
  19. Jan 16, 2021 at 9:32 AM
    Juanjoolio007

Juanjoolio007 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    I have personally seen there truck on 35’s. I think they are staying conservative with answer so people don’t call and complain when they try to run a wheel/tire combo kit and it does rub. With that being said their instructions/ recommendations could be improved. Say they say you need to run 18x9 with -28 offset(or whatever is required) and a 35x12.5 with minor trimming.
    I had no problem installing their kit on the 4Runner till I got to the rear shocks. They have to be facing a certain direction due to offset bottom mount. Other then that stayed in common rim and tire size and zero problems.

Wallygator likes this.
  20. Jan 16, 2021 at 10:46 AM
    Enzof104

Enzof104 Have Trailer will Travel

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Danbury CT
    Vehicle:
    2015 SR5 TRD OR DC, because bed size matters...
    Ironman Foam Cell Pro Lift. 2018 retro fit LED headlights, TRD grill, TRD rear sway bar.
    Which one is everyone getting? I see 3 options - 2 come with the UCAs. There are either silver or black but both say stage 2 3.5 foam cell. One is 1819 on sale and the other was over $2k.
    I’m in the same boat. Wants 6112s but they can’t be found and was going to try the OME kit to stay within a budget. these ironmans have my attention for sure.

21. Jan 16, 2021 at 11:26 AM
    Juanjoolio007

Juanjoolio007 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    Foam cell stage 1 no UCA (white)
    Foam cell stage 2 with UCA (white)

Foam cell PRO stage 1 no UCA (black)
    Foam cell PRO stage 2 with UCA (black)

I can’t remember the difference between the foam cell and the foam cell pro’s off the top of my head. I believe most people here are running the Pro’s. The wife’s 4Runner is on Pro’s stage 3. If I lift the tundra and go Ironman again it will be Pro’s stage 2. SCS wheels again undecided with tires.

HulkSmurf14 and Wallygator like this.
  22. Jan 16, 2021 at 11:28 AM
    Juanjoolio007

Juanjoolio007 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    Also in case anybody with these is curious about the set screws in the adjuster rings...this I have been told is to meet some German requirement. I never touched it on ours.

23. Jan 16, 2021 at 12:07 PM
    cch2a

cch2a New Member

Member:
    I was curious about those. Have you adjusted your height at all? How hard was it and did you have to loosen those screws? I can't find a write up or video on adjusting them. Torque specs etc?

24. Jan 16, 2021 at 12:30 PM
    Juanjoolio007

Juanjoolio007 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    I have not adjusted the height. They are local so I went into them to order/pickup. They were at where they should be(with the typical Toyota lean). I haven’t remeasured since install. About 4 months ago. We did add sliders to the 4Runner and it still looks level left to right.

I can’t remember if those set screws were tight or not. I’m not worried about them so I haven’t checked. It’s basically just to get “snug” up to the threads on the coilovers. I wouldn’t want those to get wrenched down then risk damaging a thread.

As for adjustment(at least on the 4Runner) that looks to be a pita without taking the wheel off due to the adjuster being on the bottom instead of the top.

Thinking back I “believe” those set screws are left loose in case of adjustment but don’t quote me on that.

Edit: looked at lift notes.
    Before lift: front pass side 13mm high
    Rear pass side 28mm high

After lift: front pass side 8mm high
    Rear pass side 27mm high.

Taking into account I parked at the same spot on the road and that the road is level(most likely not) it seemed to match the stock setup.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2021
    Sunnier likes this.
  25. Jan 16, 2021 at 2:02 PM
    Skew12

Skew12 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 Black Rock Warrior
    So how’s the ride on this setup? I was about to go the 6112/5160 route. But my truck is a 2010 and the springs could stand to be replaced at the same time.

26. Jan 16, 2021 at 3:06 PM
    Sunnier

Sunnier Pity the warrior that slays all his foes

Member:
    First Name:
    Sunny
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Inferno Tundra DC TRD & Longtravel 1st Gen, Banner/ HulkSmash build
    George, what year 4Runner did you install them on? We installed Ironman4x4 on our 2001 TRD (formerly :cool:) Limited last week, and zero problems with set-up or fitment. Still running the original wheels but changed tires (same size though).

I was impressed by my interaction with Ironman4x4. I ordered strut tops but also wanted pre-built. “Bubba” from Ironman4x4 texted me that I may have ordered parts I don’t need— that pre-built already have the strut tops attached. So after he explained, I dropped those from the order and saved some $.

A knowledgeable friend led us through the install, and he knew to check the set screws. They were shipped loose. Adjustment height looked good, so he tightened ‘em up. Packaging indicated that the set screws are shipped loose.

27. Jan 16, 2021 at 4:17 PM
    Juanjoolio007

Juanjoolio007 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    @Sunnier first if all hi! Hers is the 2019 like a page or two back that you have seen pictures of.

Those strut top spacers arent needed unless you have lots of extra weight(armor etc...)
    I have zero affiliation with them except that I know a guy that works there. He is a mutual friend. That’s it. I’m not a product matter expert. I just share the experience I had with my purchase and my interactions with them about what I may or may not do to my truck next.
    If I spelled something wrong or whatever in this post it’s cause I have been drinking for hours.

unrelated I still need to return to the homeland aka SD!

Glad you guys went with Ironman also!

Sunnier[QUOTED] likes this.
  28. Jan 16, 2021 at 4:22 PM
    Sunnier

Sunnier Pity the warrior that slays all his foes

Member:
    First Name:
    Sunny
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Inferno Tundra DC TRD & Longtravel 1st Gen, Banner/ HulkSmash build
    I’m still looking forward to meeting you! Gotta do some trail time together and eat your cheese-loaded burgers! Mmmmmmmn.

Haha! You can bring both of your trucks and we’ll bring two trucks, and we can be our own Shenanigans shit show. :D

Meanwhile, emboldened by our experience with the Ironman4x4 suspension install, we thought we’d replace a leaking transfer case seal (front) in the Hulk. Alas, I don’t have all the tools I need. So I’ve ordered what I’m missing, but if we can’t do it this weekend because of delayed tool delivery we may still chicken out and get it done by a real mechanic, so we can take Hulk out at the end of this month. I’m bummed to have so much on the still-to-do list.

Juanjoolio007[QUOTED] likes this.
  29. Jan 16, 2021 at 6:06 PM
    Enzof104

Enzof104 Have Trailer will Travel

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Danbury CT
    Vehicle:
    2015 SR5 TRD OR DC, because bed size matters...
    Ironman Foam Cell Pro Lift. 2018 retro fit LED headlights, TRD grill, TRD rear sway bar.
    So how much lift are you guys getting in the rear with the pro setup.

I have the TRD sway bar and wondering if too much of a lift will give me problems with it.

also wondering if I drop the ironmans up front to 2.5 inches, will I get too much of a rake in the back.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2021
  30. Jan 17, 2021 at 9:06 AM
    ShreveportTSS

ShreveportTSS Huh?

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2018 5.7 4x4 Crewmax TSS
    They are not going to tell you much because they have no control over the wheels people put on.
    I have 3/4” between my 285/65/20 K02s (34.6”) on the TSS wheels with -50 offset. Wouldn’t go any wider without changing wheels.

To Top