1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Intermittent P0420

Discussion in '1st Gen Tundras (2000-2006)' started by F1reheart, Aug 30, 2017.

1. Aug 30, 2017 at 11:15 AM
    F1reheart

F1reheart [OP] Love my Tundra

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2003 SR5 4.7
    I started seeing this error in my code scanner about a month ago. I tried some Seafoam, and the check engine light went away.....then came back a week later. Another can of seafoam - check engine light stayed on.

Today I came back from a 4 day holiday, started it up and the engine light was OFF. Now what! Am I dealing with bad oxygen sensors (no codes for them are appearing), stuck fuel injectors (short term and long term readings look pretty good) or a weird catalytic converter? It's a 2003 4.7L with about 98k miles. Suggestions, before I starting spending my hard-earned dough?

2. Aug 30, 2017 at 5:45 PM
    kenomouth64

kenomouth64 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tetrus
    Vehicle:
    2007 Toyota Tundra Sr5 4x4 (TRD Off Road) Crewmax 5.7L
    Hold the Line! If you are not holding the line, abandon your ship. Destruction is inevitable without more to hold the line!
    I would replace the Oxygen sensors just before and after the Cat(s). I would not imagine the catalytic converter is already 'worn out' with just 98k miles. Every time I have ever seen the trouble code come up it is resolved by either cleaning the cats or replacing them.

F1reheart[OP] likes this.
  3. Aug 31, 2017 at 4:16 AM
    Wynnded

Wynnded What MPG...

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Souped up truck
    Magnuson Magnum TVS 2650 S/C Sniv's Speed Shop 70mm pulley RCF Throttle Body TRD PRO BBS Wheels TRD Front Sway Bar TRD Rear Sway Bar Fox TRD Pro Shocks Limited mirrors (auto darkening/backup camera/power fold/puddle lights) Limited Grill Mod Automatic Climate Controls Mod Automatic Headlamp Mod Sequoia Transfer Case Mod Sequoia Leather Steering Wheel Mod Sequoia Limited Gage Cluster Mod Sequoia LED Headlamp Upgrade Window Tint 15/70% Fake Manual Transmission Mod 10" BAMufflers Stainless Catback Valhalla Catalytic Converter Shields Engine Block Heater Illuminated Ignition Key Ring Mod Deck Rail System w/cleats Solid Offroad Engine Mounts
    It could be as simple as an exhaust leak the the vicinity of one of the sensors and they're reading too much O2 in the stream. It might require two people, but with the engine idling cover the tailpipe with gloved hands and a towel or rag and listen for the little puffing sounds around connections....worth a try and is free.

kenomouth64 and F1reheart[OP] like this.
  4. Aug 31, 2017 at 7:43 AM
    F1reheart

F1reheart [OP] Love my Tundra

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2003 SR5 4.7
    Thanks! I will try the tailpipe option this weekend and report back.

kenomouth64 likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top