1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Intermittent fasting?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by SoCalTundy, Sep 11, 2019.

1. Sep 11, 2019 at 4:22 PM
    SoCalTundy

SoCalTundy [OP] Member since 2017

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Icon Shocks. Total Chaos UCA. Deaver u748 TC shackles Flowmaster super 50. Diode Dynamics fogs. 5.29 Revolution Gears. SSW 17" wheels on BFG 35x12.5
    Anyone here ever try intermittent fasting? I did it for a solid 9 months. Lost some weight. My blood pressure improved along with my cholesterol and pre-diabetic numbers, but I hit a plateau after about 6 months with weight loss. I was fasting around 19 hours a day only during the week. Summer came around and I stopped, but about to startup again. What’s been your experience?

2. Sep 11, 2019 at 4:23 PM
    rustynail11

rustynail11 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Mansfield,TX (DFW Area)
    Vehicle:
    2017 Grey Tundra TRD
    I just started it about 10 days ago. Eat at my meals between noon and 8 pm and then fast over night and in the morning. So far so good but this weekend will be tough, will be in a cocktail heavy environment.

Anxious to see what the results are in a few months.

Stroke250 likes this.
  3. Sep 11, 2019 at 4:26 PM
    Tierhog

Tierhog SIG-AHOLIC

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra Crewmax Limited 4WD
    Mostly stock/TRD accessories/Morimoto XBs
    I've been doing 16/8. Eh... Some say no treats after 6pm but if your going to restrict eating to 8 hrs, don't tell me what I have to eat on top of it.. Lol

SoCalTundy[OP] likes this.
  4. Sep 11, 2019 at 4:29 PM
    SoCalTundy

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Icon Shocks. Total Chaos UCA. Deaver u748 TC shackles Flowmaster super 50. Diode Dynamics fogs. 5.29 Revolution Gears. SSW 17" wheels on BFG 35x12.5
    Best of luck. I felt it was easy to do and had good results.

Tierhog likes this.
  5. Sep 11, 2019 at 4:47 PM
    NE_WARRIOR

NE_WARRIOR [HOONIGAN] Wannabe

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Union, ME
    Vehicle:
    08 DC SR5
    I've been unintentionally doing it since I was a freshman in highschool. The medication I took on academic weeks killed my appetite so I just wouldn't eat lunch when I was in regular classes, I wouldn't take my meds on shop weeks where I was studying landscaping and working my ass off so I'd eat a ton on those weeks. I'm 5'11" and was about 170-180 throughout highschool. Graduated in 2018 and stopped taking my medication for ADD and just kept the habit of really only eating a lot every other week. I've stayed a consistent 180-190 for the past year but that's probably just my metabolism slowing down or I've been building a bit more muscle. I remember reading about intermittent fasting back in school and realized it was basically the same thing my meds were making me do anyways. few years later and the habits still there

6. Sep 11, 2019 at 4:54 PM
    nowayout

nowayout New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    NY
    Vehicle:
    17 CM
    I do it and have done it for over 2 years. I didn't do it for weight loss but just to feel better and I like the ideas behind it.

You might have stopped losing weight do to your body adjusting to not eating. Your body then wants to store fat because it doesnt know when it is going to eat again.

Check out Dr. Eric Berg on youtube. And if you want to ramp it up further maybe give Keto a try. I now do some 24 hour fasts and try to eat a ketogenic diet most of the time. One meal a day has a lot of advantages for me.

Mcoop, speedtre, sf319 and 2 others like this.
  7. Sep 11, 2019 at 5:21 PM
    Toyotoholic

Toyotoholic -4Life-

Member:
    First Name:
    Jmz
    Vehicle:
    17' MGM
    Pro suspension, sways
    My brother is on a OMAD schedule... One Meal A Day. I do a 18/6. None of it really makes a difference unless you are committed to the fasting time (absolutely NOTHING but water). When you do this the right way the results are phenomenal. The entire purpose of this is the let the body use the stored resources within itself by denying any excess meals or snacks. Whenever ANYTHING other than water is put in your system, your insulin spikes and your body shuts down digestive actions and puts the machine into consume and storage of fuel mode. You train your body to use what it has, and complete it's tasks (digestion, metabolic burns, muscle growth). Because you give it time to do this without stuffing the bird with useless calories that it doesn't need, the body becomes incredibly efficient at these tasks and the results are: less unnecessary weight, better sleep, lower BP, less bowel movements, more energy. Just to name a few.

speedtre, TheBeast and SoCalTundy[OP] like this.
  8. Sep 11, 2019 at 5:25 PM
    T-Rex266

T-Rex266 Elon approved Staff Member

Member:
    No. Horrible idea imo. But hey, what do I know.

9. Sep 11, 2019 at 5:29 PM
    BreyTundy

BreyTundy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle:
    2016 White DC TRD
    I've had really good luck with it, I just make sure that I drink plenty of water during my fasting period. I also do a good bit of cardio to go with it, which has also really helped. I haven't seen more than a ten pound difference on the scale, but my overall health has increased along with muscle mass. But I'm just a 25 year old meat head so take it with a grain of salt.

10. Sep 11, 2019 at 5:33 PM
    Omohundro

Omohundro 2018 Not a Pro

Member:
    First Name:
    Jody
    McMinnville TN
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra Platinum
    Bak Revolver, BedRug, Undercover Swingcase, PopLock, Bilstein 5160(rear), Firestone RideRite, TRD rear sway bar, Coachbuilder +2 rear shackles, Andersen 5” aluminum adjustable hitch, TRD dual exhaust, VLEDS interior leds including the footwell kit, TundraTex FRAC mod, VLEDS LPR backup tag mount led, Husky X-Act mats, Color matched cup holder bezel (silver), Ceramic 20% tint all around, 50% Ceramic windshield, Color Matched door handles & mirror caps, The “Stubby” antenna, AMP Research steps, VLEDS 6”step lights, ToyTec/5100 Bilstein coil overs, 700lbs red ToyTec springs (2.75” lift), 20x9 +18 Method 306 custom painted and custom fit center caps, Gorilla spline lugs, Bridgestone Revo 3s 285/60R20, TRD skid plate, RaptorLiner “Red” tow hooks, 19 Pro black LED headlights, VLEDS Triton V6 turns, Rigid SAE D series fog lamps, 19 TRD hood scoop, 2019 TRD Pro grille, Coachbuilder bumper shims, X-Pel protect under mud guards, Opti Coat Ceramic, Opti Coat Sealed. And some snakes and sparklers, because they are my favorite!
    Are you serious? I have been thinking about doing it.

11. Sep 11, 2019 at 5:34 PM
    Patch999

Patch999 SSEM #17 You are what you do when it counts

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    TX
    Vehicle:
    2017 Bad@$$ TRD Pro
    Haven’t done intermittent but do fast. Usually 7-9 times a year 48-72 hours. I have been doing it for 7 years. I always feel better after I fast. I lost about 30lbs the first year I did it. I went down another 15 after that but felt underweight so I cut back from every month to most months.
    It was an adjustment when I first started. Once I figured out they were not going to stop making cheeseburgers it got easier :rofl:
    The upsides are great more energy. Less appetite and a good will power test.

12. Sep 11, 2019 at 5:39 PM
    SoCalTundy

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    I do hear a lot of people combine fasting with keto. My only concern is the lack of fiber and other nutrients when doing keto. I did Atkins many years ago and I did shred some fat, but got tired of the eggs, bacon, cheese etc.

13. Sep 11, 2019 at 5:41 PM
    T-Rex266

Member:
    Yes. Starve ur body; which in turn, holds fat longer as it chips away at it. Lack of proper nutrition etc. unless it’s religious based, I say no

14. Sep 11, 2019 at 5:41 PM
    SoCalTundy

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    I have heard it may not be good for people who are advanced in age with severe health issues who may require meds to keep the engine running.

15. Sep 11, 2019 at 5:42 PM
    nowayout

nowayout New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    NY
    Vehicle:
    17 CM
    You can eat plenty of fiber. All leafy greens and dark greens have fiber. Cauliflower

speedtre, OR18TRD and SoCalTundy[OP] like this.
  16. Sep 11, 2019 at 5:43 PM
    T-Rex266

Member:
    Which just fills you up and is small portion of micros

Migraine likes this.
  17. Sep 11, 2019 at 5:48 PM
    SoCalTundy

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    You’re not really holding back on proper nutrition. You have a window to consume your nutrition. Outside of that window your body is busy processing and rebuilding. Lots of good info out there on this.

Toyotoholic and speedtre like this.
  18. Sep 11, 2019 at 5:50 PM
    T-Rex266

Member:
    I know what you’re saying, but I’m in complete disagreement with it.

War Machine, Migraine and Pinay like this.
  19. Sep 11, 2019 at 5:55 PM
    gosolo

gosolo You Don’t Know Who I Am But I Know Where You Live

Member:
    First Name:
    Ray
    NW Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2015 DC Super Fine Super White Pro
    2"CB shackles, bushings and 1 shim, lockerdown console vault, rear folding seat back mod, snugtop shell with opening side windows, 46g fuel tank, SDHQ sliders and hidden winch, Decked Drawers, Alcan leaf springs and got rid of the interior chrome
    I’ve always felt that reality was just for people who cannot handle drugs and alcohol. Besides, facts are more important than the truth any day.

Trooper2, JH5370, TXMiamiFan and 3 others like this.
  20. Sep 11, 2019 at 6:02 PM
    gosolo

gosolo You Don’t Know Who I Am But I Know Where You Live

Member:
    First Name:
    Ray
    NW Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2015 DC Super Fine Super White Pro
    2"CB shackles, bushings and 1 shim, lockerdown console vault, rear folding seat back mod, snugtop shell with opening side windows, 46g fuel tank, SDHQ sliders and hidden winch, Decked Drawers, Alcan leaf springs and got rid of the interior chrome
    Ahh...Carlos Castenada, I believe?
    (Author, “A Separate Reality”)

Migraine likes this.
  21. Sep 11, 2019 at 6:03 PM
    Kerch71

Kerch71 Surgical Precision

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Mechanicsville VA
    Vehicle:
    2015 CM SC TRD Pro/ICON/Total Chaos Build
    CM TRD Pro glass panels, Icon 2.5, TC long travel UCA/LCA, Toyota supercharger, Airlift rear suspension, Warn winch, custom front and rear bumper, Coachbuilder roof rack, lengthened chassis 12", 37" Nitto Grapplers, custom graphics, Magnaflow Flowmaster 4" SS Exhaust
    To send your body into a state of ketosis is dangerous. 5 years from now, we will all be wondering why we even entertained the idea. Everyone wants a shortcut around burning energy through exercise. Human nature (including mine). But the fact is, if you consume less calories than you burn through exercise, you will boost your metabolism, lose weight, and feel better. Burning calories through starvation and ketosis is unhealthy, especially to your nervous system, which regulates every other system in your body.

22. Sep 11, 2019 at 6:05 PM
    T-Rex266

Member:
    I mean, caveman did it on purpose right? Pros do it too, right? (Wrong)

Why not just carb cycle?

23. Sep 11, 2019 at 6:05 PM
    Hbjeff

Hbjeff New Member

Member:
    Huntington Beach
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC 5.7 2wd
    Trd sways, bullydog, magnaflow, sumo springs
    Dr Jason Fung has tons of research showing that IM is not only healthy but ideal for the body.

It is not starvation if you eat nutritious food for meals.

Intermittent fasting is amazing. 16/8 schedule is easiest to do. Ive found that it is only sustainable on a high fat low carb diet. No grains, no sugars.

Toyotoholic likes this.
  24. Sep 11, 2019 at 6:06 PM
    nowayout

nowayout New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    NY
    Vehicle:
    17 CM
    Funny you say that. My friend has been in ketosis for about 5 years. They are using him in a study.

Hbjeff likes this.
  25. Sep 11, 2019 at 6:06 PM
    Hbjeff

Hbjeff New Member

Member:
    Huntington Beach
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC 5.7 2wd

This is a short term thing. What happens is that eventually you eat more because your insulin is being pegged up constantly. Your body cannot burn fat reserves when insulin is in the blood.

Toyotoholic likes this.
  26. Sep 11, 2019 at 6:09 PM
    T-Rex266

Member:
    Ur body literally eats preserves for nutrition to feed the brain, blood flow, etc.

High fat, no carbs, sugar would be a keto diet

I was overweight for numerous years. Got my shit in check, and I was stage a couple months later and did great. I get it. I get it all- as someone who struggled with nutrition for years, I can tell u he’s full of shit. I’ll stand by it all day long.

Pinay likes this.
  27. Sep 11, 2019 at 6:18 PM
    Hbjeff

Hbjeff New Member

Member:
    Huntington Beach
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC 5.7 2wd
    When someone starts a low carb diet, the effect of the body “starving itself” is short and temporary. What happens is the body is not used to gluconeogenesis. It does dig into your muscles briefly but once you adapt, and eat proper protein they build right back up.

Everyone is different. Not everyone thrives on a zero carb diet, some people can do 25g a day, 50g a day, 100g a day. The only 100% fact is that nobody thrives on a high carb diet.

OR18TRD and Padj like this.
  28. Sep 11, 2019 at 6:19 PM
    Hbjeff

Hbjeff New Member

Member:
    Huntington Beach
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC 5.7 2wd
    I’ll bet Jason Fung has saved more lives than the American Heart association has. And they have what, 50 years on him?

29. Sep 11, 2019 at 6:23 PM
    Padj

Padj Life is what happens when you're making plans

Member:
    Denver, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2019 Limited CM TRD MGM
    I'm doing omad at the moment with 15g carbs a day keto. Results have been fantastic. Lost 40lbs and gained muscle. The biggest boost was my inflammation in my hands and wrists has completed disappeared.

It may not be for everyone, but for me it's life changing.

I should probably also add that mentally I am much more alert and focused in the gym and in work. I don't have that post lunch tiredness.

When I get my weight goals I will introduce carbs back into my diet but it will be low carbs and the occasional cheat. The 3 meals a day plan is so out of date and archaic.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
    OR18TRD, nowayout and SoCalTundy[OP] like this.
  30. Sep 11, 2019 at 6:29 PM
    nowayout

nowayout New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    NY
    Vehicle:
    17 CM
    For those that don't know you can eat carbs like vegetables in large quantities because they have fiber. You subtract the amount of fiber from the carbs to determine your actual carb intake.

Im sure someone else can explain it better. When we say no carbs we are talking bread, pastas, potatoes, sugar etc.

OR18TRD and TXMiamiFan like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top