1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Interior Rattling Noise!!

Discussion in '2nd Gen Tundras (2007-2013)' started by Nor7, Oct 19, 2015.

1. Oct 19, 2015 at 10:15 AM
    Nor7

Nor7 [OP] Chilton Manual Guy

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tundra Limited CM, 5.7L
    I searched this forum and couldn't find a solution but my apologies if there is one that I couldn't find.

I've noticed a rattling sound when driving, it doesn't seem to be an engine or engine compartment noise. At first I thought it sounded like it was coming from the passenger door but when my brother rode with me to try to find it he thought it was coming from my door so I know it's something either in the console or above me.

Anyone else have this issue and figured it out? My father in law used to have a Tundra and had the same problem and never figured it out.

2. Oct 19, 2015 at 11:39 AM
    T-Rex266

T-Rex266 Elon approved Staff Member

Member:
    When I had my 2nd generation, the dash seemed to rattle a bit more in the cold. Not sure if that's what it could be, or if it gets that cold where you are.
    Rattling noises a PITA to find!

3. Oct 19, 2015 at 11:43 AM
    Nor7

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    Thanks. Doesn't seem to change with temperature and I've been feeling around but haven't felt anything rattle. I just can hear it softly and intermittently.

4. Oct 19, 2015 at 2:07 PM
    csuviper

csuviper Moderator Staff Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Broomfield, CO
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Sport CM 5.7L 4X4
    Some Mods :) See build thread for details
    I have the same rattle. To me it sounds like passenger door.
    Car seat in the back rattles too. Both are annoying but the car seat is louder.

5. Oct 19, 2015 at 6:49 PM
    Nor7

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    Yeah sounds like from the passenger door but when I had my brother ride with me he said it sounded like it was coming from my door so now I'm convinced it's somewhere in the middle.

6. Oct 20, 2015 at 1:11 AM
    swede78

swede78 Not so new member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lars
    westminster co
    Vehicle:
    2019 tundra platinum mgm crew max
    Nothing yet
    i have the same noise on my 08, it sounds like it is coming from the front middle of the dash. i have turned on the wipers when i hear the noise and it seems to go away. iam starting to think it has something to do with the wipers vibrating on the windshield when on a bumpy road. still a little confused though.

7. Oct 20, 2015 at 9:57 AM
    flynbyu2

flynbyu2 I'm your huckleberry...

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2015 SR5 CrewMax 2WD
    Flowmaster Super 50 / Dual In - Dual Out Exhaust BakFlipG2 Tonneau Cover TRD Rear Sway Bar
    I had an annoying rattle in my Tacoma. I sat my wife in the passenger seat with a stethoscope and she was able to pin it down to the glove box.

We emptied the glove box and it still rattled. She said she thought it was coming from the glove box latch.
    I noticed it had a little give to it so I cut up two pieces of foam and glued them on the lid and presto change-o, the rattle was gone!

Stethoscope was the key to the mystery in our case.

Skew12 and Viper3G like this.
  8. Oct 20, 2015 at 10:38 AM
    T-Rex266

T-Rex266 Elon approved Staff Member

Member:
    Funny. I traced down a rattle to that specific spot too.

Can you please post a photo where you placed the foam? I'll be doing the same correction.

9. Oct 20, 2015 at 12:50 PM
    AxelsHumanDad

AxelsHumanDad I am Groot

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    KAIG, NW of The Frozen Tundra
    Vehicle:
    2015 CM Platinum
    Some suspension tweaks
    "tap tap tap taptaptaptap" when moving and in time with the bumps in the road?

I found it to be any one of the seat belt buckles flopping against the plastic pillars. The two in the back(Crewmax) have clips to hold the belt and buckle from moving. The one on the front passenger seat I just have to deal with when "She" gets out and the belt retracts. I'll move it around when I know "She" won't be in the truck for a while :rolleyes:

10. Oct 20, 2015 at 3:41 PM
    flynbyu2

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2015 SR5 CrewMax 2WD
    Flowmaster Super 50 / Dual In - Dual Out Exhaust BakFlipG2 Tonneau Cover TRD Rear Sway Bar
    `
    My Tacoma got totaled in May, but if memory serves me right I put the foam on either side of the latch. Just enough to keep the lid from excessive movement.

11. Oct 20, 2015 at 4:59 PM
    Nor7

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    No it doesn't match bumps in the road. It seems to be silent only when the road is perfectly smooth, the road could be only slightly rough in a patch and its a quick vibrating rattle. And it would rattle the same on a back country road. When my brother rides with me he says it sounds like its coming from the driver side door and I hear it from the passenger door so it must be somewhere in between the driver and passenger seats.

12. Oct 20, 2015 at 5:37 PM
    swede78

Member:
    First Name:
    Lars
    westminster co
    Vehicle:
    Nothing yet
    see if it goes away when you turn on the wippers

13. Oct 20, 2015 at 6:03 PM
    csuviper

csuviper Moderator Staff Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Broomfield, CO
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Sport CM 5.7L 4X4
    Some Mods :) See build thread for details
    Ok found majority of my noise
    image.jpg

Oops. Dang kids and their chalk.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2015
    DalTee, Law323, iHacker and 3 others like this.
  14. Oct 26, 2015 at 9:33 AM
    Nor7

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    Tried it, made no difference.

15. Oct 26, 2015 at 10:50 AM
    TruckyTruck

TruckyTruck Dumbest Username

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Texas
    I noticed after i installed better speakers and the amp, those little door would rattle. Took them out and put stick on foam behind them. No more rattle!

16. Oct 27, 2015 at 8:25 AM
    Relentless

Relentless Eric @Relentless Fab Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    East of the Sierras(Reno), Nevada
    Vehicle:
    '14 Crewmax TRD 4x4> '15 Duramax SLT
    Just a few, more to come
    Now that the temperature has dipped in the last 2 weeks I'm noticing rattles in my '14 Crewmax too. Seems like glovebox or passenger door, maybe center console. Not the contents of any of these locations, thats been determined, so it seems to be either a latch or fastener loose somewhere. Annoying as hell in the morning on the way to work. Seems to go away after the temperature goes up past 50 or so.

17. Oct 27, 2015 at 11:23 AM
    flynbyu2

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2015 SR5 CrewMax 2WD
    You can fix that pretty easily with something you already have in your truck. The knob on the left side of your stereo is the volume control. Turn it clockwise.

TruckLife900 likes this.
  18. Jan 29, 2016 at 12:58 PM
    Nor7

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    Spoken like a former Chevy owner... ;)

19. Feb 5, 2016 at 12:25 PM
    DFrasier88

DFrasier88 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 Toyota Tundra Platinum
    3” Bilstein 6112 Lift In Front 1.5” Shackle lift in rear with Bilstein 5100’s. 20” Fuel Beast Wheels +20 Offset 295/60/20 Nitto Ridge Grapplers
    Yeah, I have the same noise. I know exactly what it is. Its the seat belt hitting the plastic. For a while i thought it was the seat that was loose or something, and I couldn't figure it out either.

Its just the seatbelt hitting while the truck is moving. :rofl:

15whtrd likes this.
  20. Feb 5, 2016 at 12:52 PM
    Nor7

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    I ended up finding it a few weeks ago, I took the passenger door off and there was a loose nut/bolt fastening the window to the power window 'arm'.

I know what you're talking about, took some guys out to lunch and my seat belt on the other side of the cab got twisted around and was tapping the plastic.

21. Feb 5, 2016 at 8:24 PM
    bobeast

bobeast really old member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Hollister, CA
    Vehicle:
    2008 DC
    - Bull Bar - LED Bunny Burners - AMP retractable running boards - Headlight leveling retrofit - P3 Brake Controller - 60% rear seat delete - relocation of Sub to rear wall - Bilstein 5100 x4, top setting with 2 shims per side - Coach builder +2 rear shackles w/carrier bearing drop - Firestone Air bags - on-board compressor with auto-leveling - Dual Undercover Swing Boxes. - P285/65/R20 (34.6") BFG TA KO2's - TRD Front skid plate - Pop & Lock Tailgate lock - Remote Tailgate mod - LED Headlights - Nav Bypass - iPhone integration - Serius/XM retrofit - 25% front tint - Bizon electric tonneau cover - Power folding tow mirror upgrade - 2010+ leveling Headlight mod - Auto-fold mirror mod. - one-touch lane changer mod - Flash to open garage opener mod - Rigid H/L fog light upgrade - Pushbutton / Remote start mod.
    I think I read somewhere that the overhead console can rattle and sound like its coming from somewhere else.

22. Feb 21, 2016 at 11:15 AM
    camu77

camu77 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Vehicle:
    2010 Crewmax Tundra
    I had a rattle similar I found in the tire wells the plastic clips supporting the plastic inner fender wall were missing and I every little bump there was a little rattle that drove me nuts on that side finally located it in the front tire well so I replaced all the little pop clips with new ones and put in new one were missing problem solved for me check it out for yourself front tire well right behind bumper under fender.

Skew12 likes this.
  23. Jan 9, 2017 at 8:26 PM
    757TUNDRA

757TUNDRA Not a New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Illinois
    Vehicle:
    2018 Barcelona Red Metallic Platinum 4x4
    OEM Bed Cover, OEM Bed Rail System, OEM Bedmat, OEM Doorsill Protectors, OEM TRD Rear Sway Bar, OEM Color Matched Door Handles, OEM Color Matched Mirror Caps, OEM Bed Net, OEM Driver Side Grab Handle, BFG K02 LT275/60/20, WeatherTech Digifit FloorLiners, Salex OCD Console Organizer, Salex Console Tray
    Thread revival. My truck developed an annoying noise today similar to those discussed above that sounds like it's coming from the dash area on the passenger side or possibly the passenger door. I can't tell exactly where it's coming from but it started during a really cold drive today and continued throughout the day. The noise seemed to get better when I turned on the defroster and heated up that area of the dash, but after a few minutes it started again. Anyone else having this issue or solved one in the past? I tried all of the remedies discussed above. Thanks.

24. Jan 9, 2017 at 10:04 PM
    bobeast

bobeast really old member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Hollister, CA
    Vehicle:
    2008 DC
    - Bull Bar - LED Bunny Burners - AMP retractable running boards - Headlight leveling retrofit - P3 Brake Controller - 60% rear seat delete - relocation of Sub to rear wall - Bilstein 5100 x4, top setting with 2 shims per side - Coach builder +2 rear shackles w/carrier bearing drop - Firestone Air bags - on-board compressor with auto-leveling - Dual Undercover Swing Boxes. - P285/65/R20 (34.6") BFG TA KO2's - TRD Front skid plate - Pop & Lock Tailgate lock - Remote Tailgate mod - LED Headlights - Nav Bypass - iPhone integration - Serius/XM retrofit - 25% front tint - Bizon electric tonneau cover - Power folding tow mirror upgrade - 2010+ leveling Headlight mod - Auto-fold mirror mod. - one-touch lane changer mod - Flash to open garage opener mod - Rigid H/L fog light upgrade - Pushbutton / Remote start mod.
    Try pressing up against the roof console where the sunglass holder is. Some have reported similar symptoms coming from that area.

Skew12 likes this.
  25. Jan 10, 2017 at 4:30 AM
    Netmonkey

Netmonkey Don't be a Dumbass

Member:
    Georgetown, TX
    Vehicle:
    2016 Texas Edition, 5.7, CM, MGM
    Icon stage 2 lift, 295 60 20 nitto ridge grapplers, fuel kranks, TRD dual exhaust, TRD rear sway bar
    It seams that my passenger side dashboard may be loose. when ever I go over a rough patch in the road or hit a speed bump, it rattles. However, Austin dipped down into the 20's recently and I noticed the tapping sound around the passenger side dash/pillar. The tapping subsided once the inside of the truck warmed up. I don't have any solutions, but I bet it will take a lot of investigation to find a solution.

rattles drive me crazy :annoyed::goingcrazy:

26. Jan 10, 2017 at 2:56 PM
    757TUNDRA

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Illinois
    Vehicle:
    OEM Bed Cover, OEM Bed Rail System, OEM Bedmat, OEM Doorsill Protectors, OEM TRD Rear Sway Bar, OEM Color Matched Door Handles, OEM Color Matched Mirror Caps, OEM Bed Net, OEM Driver Side Grab Handle, BFG K02 LT275/60/20, WeatherTech Digifit FloorLiners, Salex OCD Console Organizer, Salex Console Tray
    I'm visiting my dad in Missouri and the temp jumped up to 59 today and of course the noise is gone. Guess I'll investigate it more when the temps drop again. I drove from Virginia to Missouri yesterday and the temps ranged from 0-43 degrees. Definitely irritating.

27. Jan 10, 2017 at 2:58 PM
    757TUNDRA

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Illinois
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for the tip. I tried that as well last night and unfortunately it didactic work. Warmer temps today so of course the noise is gone.

28. Jan 10, 2017 at 5:55 PM
    swede78

Member:
    First Name:
    Lars
    westminster co
    Vehicle:
    Nothing yet
    awhile back i posted that i had the same problem, what i found was in cooler weather, that the plastic piece that covers the wiper arms and the lower part of the windshield would rattle. my solution was to use some black electrical tape and apply it to the plastic edge on the bottom part of the windshield, have not heard it since.

Skew12 and 757TUNDRA like this.
  29. Jan 11, 2017 at 4:18 AM
    Netmonkey

Netmonkey Don't be a Dumbass

Member:
    Georgetown, TX
    Vehicle:
    2016 Texas Edition, 5.7, CM, MGM
    Icon stage 2 lift, 295 60 20 nitto ridge grapplers, fuel kranks, TRD dual exhaust, TRD rear sway bar
    did you put the tape on the inside or outside of the windshield?

30. Jan 11, 2017 at 9:04 AM
    bsavoir

bsavoir New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Killeen, TX
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra Limited CM 4x4
    Gibson Metal Mulisha Exhaust, Replaced bulbs w/ LED's, AFe intake, Bullydog Tuner, Aftermarket Audio system, Rhino Bed Light sports bar, Tonneau Cover, Spyder Auto Headlights and Taillights, Recon 3rd Brake Light, Kensun HID's, Fender Flares, Custom Leather Interior, Heated Seats, 5% Tint on the Rear Windows, Pod light Foglights, 31" light bar behind the grille, linex spray bedliner, linex sprayed grille, ditch lights w/ dual 3in LED pods, 60" Tailgate LED strip.
    I have noticed some rattling from the map light covers. I fixed one of them by using a small piece of foam tape on the cover where it makes contact with the push switch and haven't heard anything since. The other cover is not so bad, mostly heard when under heavy acceleration, colder temps, or the bass from my music.

Products Discussed in

To Top