1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

INTERESTED in purchasing a console safe or locking under-seat storage?

Discussion in 'Deals & Group Buys' started by Sunnier, Oct 16, 2017.

1. Oct 28, 2017 at 7:38 PM
    tdosthp

tdosthp New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra
    I had one corner bent on mine. Not as pronounced as picture above. Only really noticed it because of the plastic tray. Was able to bend it back by hand.

2. Oct 28, 2017 at 7:49 PM
    Sunnier

Sunnier [OP] Pity the warrior that slays all his foes

Member:
    First Name:
    Sunny
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Inferno Tundra DC TRD & Longtravel 1st Gen, Banner/ HulkSmash build
    Hmm. Well if you could bend it by hand, I guess part of this may be scanty materials at the edges. I guess the biggest concern I still have-- since I understand you've all been able to fit them in right-- is how secure the lock is. I plan to check it out, maybe get it replaced locally.

Anyway, keeping count, that's 3 bent that I know of so far. When I reach out to find out how many of us ordered, I'll pass on this info. Anybody want me to do anything more? As part of my research before ordering, I called the manufacture; if Sparks tells me they stock and forward without opening the boxes, I'll ask if they want me to let the E&G know directly....

3. Oct 28, 2017 at 8:57 PM
    Krappenschitz

Krappenschitz New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Portland
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra Crewmax SR5 OR
    Trd pro grille, color match mirror caps, Magnum steps.
    It doesn't matter to me. I'm happy with the product just not the shipping. I would imagine Sparks just forwards the product rather than stocking in on their shelves.

Sunnier[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  4. Oct 28, 2017 at 10:08 PM
    delta6b

delta6b New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 limited TRD 4x4
    Backflip Tonneau Cover Bilstein 5160/6112 Fuel Maverick 20x9 +20 Offset Toyo Open Country RT 305x55 R20 Pop & Lock Tailgate Lock Husky X-Act Contour Mats TRD 4x4 Off Road replacement Husky Logo Center Console Safe AJT Design Key Fob ESP Rear Seat Storage FRAC V2 Oh Shit Handle
    Just got done installing mine! No bent corners!

Krappenschitz and Sunnier[OP] like this.
  5. Oct 30, 2017 at 11:01 AM
    Tundrastic

Tundrastic New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 CrewMax Platinum 4x4 MGM
    I am a new member to this forum and just bought a new truck almost 2 weeks ago. I am bummed I missed this! Those boxes look great!

Curious how many out of the lot were bent? Sounds like a packaging issue to me. They might want to consider some cardboard corner supports and/or foam filler.

Sunnier[OP] likes this.
  6. Oct 30, 2017 at 3:23 PM
    Sunnier

Member:
    First Name:
    Sunny
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    I've heard of 3 so far, and don't know how many "we" bought yet. I plan to f/u on my days off then will share info.

Did you see, there's still a 5% discount.

I think several people here are interested in locking under-seat storage, so keep your eyes peeled....

Tundrastic[QUOTED] likes this.
  7. Oct 30, 2017 at 7:53 PM
    delta6b

delta6b New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 limited TRD 4x4
    Backflip Tonneau Cover Bilstein 5160/6112 Fuel Maverick 20x9 +20 Offset Toyo Open Country RT 305x55 R20 Pop & Lock Tailgate Lock Husky X-Act Contour Mats TRD 4x4 Off Road replacement Husky Logo Center Console Safe AJT Design Key Fob ESP Rear Seat Storage FRAC V2 Oh Shit Handle
    You can still use the tundras.com discount code at checkout. I missed the group buy by a day and used that!

8. Nov 7, 2017 at 4:36 PM
    Oceanway99

Oceanway99 New Member

Member:
    Hey all, new member. First post. I work for SET in Product Development in Jacksonville Fl. We developed this safe with our Business Partner E&G and I can assure you these are not leaving their facility bent. We install alot of these and get them shipped by the pallet. The safes are pretty well packed in individual boxes and packed in spray foam bags. They are heavy duty safes and weigh 28 lbs. Now if they are shipped in their individual box and mishandled then I could see a rim getting bent if dropped since they weigh so much but I would think the box would be damaged. Did anyone that received a safe from Sparks see any box damage? The manufacturer is aware of this thread now and this will be addressed. And so you all know, there is a new safe coming shortly that fits all years Sequoia AND 2007-2013 Tundra also. Same design as this one.

gosolo and Sunnier[OP] like this.
  9. Nov 7, 2017 at 5:07 PM
    ScottsBad

ScottsBad New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Free Idaho, escaped Commiefornian
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Limited
    Just a Bed Rug, Soft Topper, Console Safe
    I got mine with no damage, but I broke my foot about a day after I received it so its not been installed yet.

However, I will make some comments. 1. It should come with 2 keys for $250. If I had to pay $5 more for a second key I'd pay it. 2. The lid is very stiff. 3. The lid should come with a gas shock, but if no gas shock is possible then at least a spring assist. 4. Lock mechanism looks less robust than hoped, but I had to remind myself that its only to stop smash and grab theft so its OK.

Things I really like: 1. Obviously, it only uses half the console space. 2. The tray is just about right for my application. 3. It seems well built overall. 4. It looks easy to install. I might have more to say when I get it installed.

As for under seat storage; A slide out tray would be adequate for me. A locking container might be overkill for such a small space.

I wish I lived in a FREE state. I think a folded Kel-Tec Sub200 carbine would fit under the seat. They are only 16" folded.

10. Nov 7, 2017 at 5:23 PM
    Oceanway99

Oceanway99 New Member

Member:
    You can loosen the lid hinge nuts 1/4 turn to loosen up the lid. A spring up lid gets annoying and hits the console lid underside. The hinge bolts are 3/8” grade 8 bolts with nylock nuts. The locks are actually pretty darn tough. It took about 30 blows with a 3 lb hammer to damage it. The front edge of the lid overhangs the edge opening to prevent prying. If you want another key, contact E&G directly. Their info is on the owners card.

gosolo and Sunnier[OP] like this.
  11. Nov 7, 2017 at 5:42 PM
    Sunnier

Member:
    First Name:
    Sunny
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for finding this thread and chiming in. Pretty impressive that you did, instead of just peeking in and not inviting comments. I appreciate it!

My impression, based on what others have said and what I saw when I opened the box housing mine-- and adding your comments into the mix-- is that the packaging is probably adequate for shipping numerous safes on a pallet, but not for shipping individual safes. It makes sense to me that this/ any retailer would expect to be able to forward the already packaged individual safes to retail customers without opening or re-packaging them.

It also occurs to me that the manufacturer may not have considered that these safes would be sold by a parts dealer in this manner. But, because this safe is not yet widely available, it seems reasonable they should be packaged by the manufacturer for pass-on shipping of individual boxed safes by any retailer. As I understand it, Sparks is currently the only official retailer with a direct relationship with E&G Classics. This would mean shoring up packaging around the exterior of the safe on all 4 "sides" to protect the top lip-- this is the part getting bent.

Again, thanks very much for chiming in here; this information about how to "fine-tune" access to the safe is much appreciated! I also like knowing y'all tested these locks a bit. My remaining concern is to do with a 3-digit combo, instead of 4.

Because of your responses, I expect you will get more quality feedback from Tundras.com members who purchased, like @ScottsBad. And also probably pick up more buyers, because there's been interest by others in buying one. Also information inspires confidence.

I also am interested in under seat storage. And am still considering having my lock replaced.... Just info ....

Last edited: Nov 7, 2017
    gosolo likes this.
  12. Nov 7, 2017 at 6:21 PM
    Oceanway99

Oceanway99 New Member

Member:
    When tou say under seat storage are referring to front seat access from the front? Or under rear seat?

Sunnier[OP] likes this.
  13. Nov 7, 2017 at 6:23 PM
    Sunnier

Member:
    First Name:
    Sunny
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    I'd want access from the front. I'd also like it to lock, but would prefer it not engage automatically-- that way I could choose to lock it. Or to treat it as simple, easy access storage.

14. Nov 7, 2017 at 6:35 PM
    tdosthp

tdosthp New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra
    A tray or sliding box of some sort would be great for the front seat. Right now, I am using a dish drying rack from Wallyworld.

Sunnier[OP] likes this.
  15. Nov 7, 2017 at 7:59 PM
    Krappenschitz

Krappenschitz New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Portland
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra Crewmax SR5 OR
    Trd pro grille, color match mirror caps, Magnum steps.
    I don't not have any damage with the box that I recall. I didn't even notice that the corners were bent to be honest, my brother saw it on the work bench before I installed and pointed it out. Thanks for chiming in. Really like the product.

Sunnier[OP] likes this.
  16. Nov 8, 2017 at 2:44 AM
    Oceanway99

Oceanway99 New Member

Member:
    Thanks for the feedback. We looked at 4 dial locks but at the time the only ones available pointed the numbers towards the passenger rather than the driver and were not reversible. There was also talk of biometric locks (thumbprint). But really, it only needs to be locked when you leave the truck. Like Sunnier said, this is really to prevent smash and grab thieves. Which they are very effective for. The box is built out of 12 gauge steel and would take considerable time to break into. I’ll take a look at under seat storage options. What type of stuff would you store there that requires quick access? How much room is really required?

Sunnier[OP] likes this.
  17. Nov 8, 2017 at 5:47 AM
    Patriot

Patriot Member

Member:
    Western NC, “Boondocks”
    Good idea...I won't accept anything damaged I order and pay for.

If it arrives damaged back it goes.FWIW...

18. Nov 8, 2017 at 7:39 AM
    Sunnier

Member:
    First Name:
    Sunny
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for the details on why you used 3-numbers.

In my case,
    Any we can create! One of few drawbacks of these Tundras is the lack of storage space.

I have a D.C. SR5 (2 front seats with a center console between). There's shallow storage under the back seats, which can only be accessed while the truck is stopped, and everyone out; there's no storage behind the back seats. I'd vote for the biggest drawer on rails that can be securely mounted under each front seat, to open toward the front.

The CM have a ton of room on the floor behind the front seats but I think they don't come with storage underneath the back seat. Maybe they'd like storage under the front seats that opens from the back? Maybe someone else can chime in here....

19. Nov 8, 2017 at 8:16 AM
    SparksParts

SparksParts New Member

Member:
    Hey guys, we just saw that there were several folks that had damage from shipping. Please contact us so we can take care of that for you. If you don't let us know we'll never be able to fix it ;). email us @ sales@sparksparts.com with your order number and one of my guys will take care of you!

Sunnier[OP] likes this.
  20. Nov 8, 2017 at 8:34 AM
    Sunnier

Member:
    First Name:
    Sunny
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    Thanks, @TRDSparks! I still gotta find out how many of us ordered during the discount purchase. Really impressed with you and this manufacturer's rep chiming in with good support. Thanks!

SparksParts[QUOTED] likes this.
  21. Nov 9, 2017 at 4:44 PM
    ScottsBad

ScottsBad New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Limited
    Thanks for the response. Ok skip the hinge spring how about a detent at the top. So when it is opened all the way it clicks into a detent. The detent can be overcome with a push. In any case it could be a little better.

Like I said I'm OK with the lock now I just wish it came with a spare key. I'll contact them if I remember to.

I think it will be a nice addition to my truck and I'm very happy with the purchase. I'm just one of those butt-heads that always thinks things can be improved.

Cheers
    Scott

Sunnier[OP] likes this.
  22. Nov 9, 2017 at 5:03 PM
    ScottsBad

ScottsBad New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Limited
    You know I was just thinking, an electric lock would be cool. One that has a hidden button that when pushed withdraws a solenoid and the drawer pops out like a cash drawer. Hahaha. I could then locate a small momentary switch just under the dash or someplace hidden.

Reach - push the button - drawer pops out - throw my wallet in - and slam it shut like a cash drawer. When you leave the truck there's no power no solenoid activation is possible without the key in ACC... the drawer stays shut.

What do you think?

Last edited: Nov 9, 2017
  23. Nov 9, 2017 at 5:10 PM
    Sunnier

Member:
    First Name:
    Sunny
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    I think this is an awesome idea! (However I could also be satisfied with a less-awesome but functional option.)

24. Nov 9, 2017 at 5:12 PM
    Sunnier

Member:
    First Name:
    Sunny
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    Hey, @4x4_Angel , can you post a link to your favorite-so-far under-seat storage here?

25. Nov 9, 2017 at 6:11 PM
    4x4_Angel

4x4_Angel Perfectly Imperfect Tomboy....TTC #132

Member:
    First Name:
    Bree
    Funky Town, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 CM Silver Sky
    ToyTec BOSS Lift, FRAC, 18" Fuel Pump wheels, Nitto Ridge Grapplers
    the one i found for the jeep?

26. Nov 9, 2017 at 8:28 PM
    Sunnier

Member:
    First Name:
    Sunny
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    If that's still the closest to what you'd like, yes. Except that I can still find that link, on one of the earlier theads. Hang on....

Edit: well, @4x4_Angel , I found the link to the thread with the pic,

https://www.tundras.com/threads/under-seat-storage.16160/

but not the link to the actual product. So please add that if you find it. Mainly, I want anyone interested in what we'd like for under-seat storage to have a visual aid as a starting point.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2017
    4x4_Angel[QUOTED] likes this.
  27. Nov 9, 2017 at 9:41 PM
    4x4_Angel

Member:
    First Name:
    Bree
    Funky Town, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 CM Silver Sky
    ok I'll see if i can locate it again

28. Nov 9, 2017 at 9:45 PM
    4x4_Angel

Member:
    First Name:
    Bree
    Funky Town, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 CM Silver Sky
    here you go...

https://www.quadratec.com/products/...DR5yhE3-G6PrNo9dO1x7rhYclnMQfzTMaAtrkEALw_wcB

its the only place i could find it.

29. Nov 9, 2017 at 10:41 PM
    Sunnier

Member:
    First Name:
    Sunny
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    4x4_Angel[QUOTED] likes this.