1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Installing a winch on front rail of bed? 2021

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Tundras (2014-2021)' started by Benjammann, Apr 13, 2021.

1. Apr 13, 2021 at 9:06 AM
    Benjammann

Benjammann [OP] New Member

Member:
    Looking to install this winch on the front rail of my 2021 Tundra bed in order to move a generator up and down ramps. Are there existing mounts I could slide into the tracks in order to do this? I'm only pulling around 200lbs. Even mounts that I could machine flat and or drill mounting holes into would work. Any ideas?

2. Apr 13, 2021 at 9:12 AM
    Lake.Life24

Lake.Life24 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shawn
    Upstate, NY
    Vehicle:
    2021 GMC Sierra 3500HD Gasser
    I don't think there are any mounts, but if I was rigging something up, I would make a brace that ties into the tie down points in the front of the truck bed. Then I would get dolley wheels and bolt them to a wood pallet. Strap the generator on the pallet and let the winch do its thing.

3. Apr 13, 2021 at 9:24 AM
    Hbjeff

Hbjeff New Member

Member:
    Huntington Beach
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC 5.7 2wd
    Trd sways, bullydog, magnaflow, sumo springs
    Strapping a dirt bike can bend the front of the bed. I would think it is better to try and use the bed bolts to mount the winch. They are meant to hold a load at least

4. Apr 13, 2021 at 10:01 AM
    blackoutt

blackoutt YEAH BUDDY!

Member:
    Indy
    Vehicle:
    07 DC Long Bed - Old Man Tan
    OEM+
    I was just thinking about this, all my dirtbike buddies trucks have a bulkhead bowed to almost touching the cab. Some have put a board across the front to reinforce. I would mount a with directly to the bulkhead even with the bed rail system. Going to factory tie down points on the sides or the bed mounting bolts seems much more solid.

5. Apr 13, 2021 at 10:06 AM
    thearborbarber

thearborbarber New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    SoDak
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra SR5
    One idea is to use this mount with the bed mounting bolts in the front of the bed. You can add holes to the channel if none line up.

6. Apr 13, 2021 at 10:20 AM
    Benjammann

Member:
    Nice idea. Are the bed mounting bolts meant for this type of thing? Or is it just taking advantage of them? Do the bolts need to be replaced with longer versions to account for the material thickness? Anywhere I can view a pic of these bolts without going out to my truck (I'm at work)

7. Apr 13, 2021 at 10:22 AM
    Benjammann

Member:
    So the bed mounting bolts are intended to be used like this? I can just unscrew them and put a mounting plate?

8. Apr 13, 2021 at 10:27 AM
    Hbjeff

Hbjeff New Member

Member:
    Huntington Beach
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC 5.7 2wd
    Trd sways, bullydog, magnaflow, sumo springs
    i have no idea if they can handle it, im brainstorming with ya. The front of the bed box isn’t that strong was my point. My assumption is that a plate mounted to the floor of the bed would be much easier to reinforce and secure

9. Apr 13, 2021 at 11:40 AM
    Benjammann

Member:
    The only issue with that is the winch wire will rub the tailgate since it's so low. Mounting on the front rail would fix this. At the moment I'm actually still leaning towards a piece of angle iron attached to the entire (or most of) the front rail with T-slot screws, so that the force is distributed over the length of the rail, interacting with multiple screw points on the rail. This would form a solid unit, strengthening the rail more than it is by itself. I did read the example of the dirt bike attachment distorting the rail, but this was likely due to the single point attachment, and possibly having the bike exert more of a sudden force from tipping. I don't care to calculate it, but I'm talking about a 200lb generator on big wheels rolling up a ramp. I'd be willing to bet it does not distort an angle iron reinforced front rail. Still going to think about it and consider all options of course.

Thank you very much for all the ideas!

Products Discussed in

To Top