1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Identity theft

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by beaver6713, Feb 2, 2021.

1. Feb 2, 2021 at 6:56 AM
    beaver6713

beaver6713 [OP] 2015 CM

Member:
    First Name:
    Kleve
    Safford Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra CM
    6 inch Pro Comp lift. OME rear springs with Coach Builder +3 shackles. Coach Builder tie rod ends. ICON 2.5 front and rear shocks with remote res. ICON Hyd bump stops. 35" Nitto Trail Grapplers on 18" fuel rims. Kenwood DNX 892 head unit with JL audio and RF amp pushing 2 Image Dynamics idq10 subs. SABM, S POD switches for 42" in bumper and 32" behind grille LED light bars. Full interior and exterior LED conversion. LED flush mount back up lights in rear bumper. Valentine one radar detector. V Leds under dash and seats foot well lighting. TRD pro head lights and grille. Full AJT dash kit
    November of last year someone took $600 out of my checking account, I reported it and bank gave me the $ back. January 1st they hit me for $1000, again, bank refunded the $, now My HR department e mailed me saying that someone has filed for un employment benefits under my name and SS#. I am and have been with the same company for 25 years and did not do this so has anyone had any experience with identity theft? LifeLock worth it or no? I see you can go to the social security web page and lock your SS#. Not sure what to do.

2. Feb 2, 2021 at 7:05 AM
    blackdemon_tt

blackdemon_tt Battery Slayer

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 5.7l Tundra DC SR5 long bed 2wd
    TRD Sway Bar, Roll covers USA bed cover
    Never experienced identity theft, but received letters from government entities who lost my personal information on more than 3 occasions... but from what I've been informed you need to file a police report to get a ball rolling. Lock your ss# like you stated, and call the big 3 credit bureaus and lock your credit. Police report 1st, because credit bureaus usually charge you for this service unless you have backing like a police report and or some evidence on your info being compromised.. it will be annoying, but every time you apply for anything you will get a phone call, if you don't answer, you will be declined until you call them back.. open a new bank account and transfer your stuff over, check other social media accounts and other services like your cell phone and Amazon to ensure you're not ordering stuff..

beaver6713[OP] likes this.
  3. Feb 2, 2021 at 7:07 AM
    Bakershack

Bakershack Critical of Noncritical Thinkers

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelly
    Spanish Fort, AL
    Vehicle:
    2020 SSM 1794 4x4
    Wow - the closest I have come is having someone try to open a cell phone account in my name several years ago. My personal preference is the death penalty for people caught stealing identities. There is no way to "accidentally" do this, and it can cause long term issues for the victims.

4. Feb 2, 2021 at 7:12 AM
    Gotyour6

Gotyour6 New Member

Member:
    Fairport, NY
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra Pro
    You have to call the credit companies and freeze everything so I have read.

Not sure how it is done but you may want to find a company that can help you with it.

Your information is being sold some place.

5. Feb 2, 2021 at 7:29 AM
    CaptainGrumpus

CaptainGrumpus The Mailman

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2018 Inferno Tundra TRD
    Black Wolf and beaver6713[OP] like this.
  6. Feb 2, 2021 at 7:50 AM
    smslavin

smslavin New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Hudson Valley
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra CrewMax SR5
    Some stuff
    we've got lifelock as well. only one major breach since we've been using it but i don't think it was their fault. somehow, someone called wells fargo and made a transfer via phone that emptied our account. still not sure how that was even possible to do over the phone but it happened.

prior to lifelock, we would have an incident every few months. since lifelock (almost 5 years), we've only had the one.

7. Feb 2, 2021 at 7:56 AM
    Boerseun

Boerseun MGM XP-Series

Member:
    First Name:
    Ferdie
    Sarasota Florida
    Vehicle:
    2022 MGM XP-Series CrewMax 4x4
    I went through it a few years ago. Someone started buying stuff at Best Buy and Staples using my information. He also bought a cell phone with my account, which he used to buy the other stuff - used the phone to get delivery information etc. I got the phone number from the Best Buy order - called it and he answered it using my name. I just about flipped. Horrible feeling. He also had all my online account information - he was able to log in and change my password faster than I could keep up doing it to try and lock him out.
    Sad thing is that the Police was useless in this case. I tried to file a report, but they did not even want to do it; said that it is cyber crime and outside their jurisdiction. I ended up just working with the bank to get my accounts closed and opened new ones. I also locked my credit so I get notifications if anyone tries to pull a credit report.

8. Feb 2, 2021 at 7:59 AM
    FlyingWolfe

FlyingWolfe Wolfie

Member:
    First Name:
    Crystal
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Off-Road Inferno
    My husband has someone steal his identity and had been collecting unemployment benefits and the extra $600 stipend from May 2020 until Nov 2020 when he actually lost his job and went to file and they were like "you already filed..". He got unemployment info in May and called the god damned unemployment office to verify he didn't file for anything and they said they would "flag his information". Well, obviously it slipped their minds.

He had to file a police report, call all of the credit bureaus, and put a freeze on everything. Almost 3 months later- still no unemployment access and nobody at the Mass Unemployment Office know what the hell is going on. He had to sell his house and move up to Maine with me. I feel terrible for the people do who don't have that option or support system.. After the tyrant he worked for the last 15 years, he's going back into self-employment. We don't know how his info was accessed but he did something where he gets notified if his credit report is accessed (I wasn't paying attention but that was the gist he gave me).

One big thing is the skimmers at the gas pumps. I have one credit card and it's specifically for use at gas pumps only then I immediately pay it off. I've had it skimmed twice now and was able to cancel both attempted transactions. Friggin thieving douchebags everywhere.

9. Feb 2, 2021 at 8:41 AM
    Tierhog

Tierhog SIG-AHOLIC

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra Crewmax Limited 4WD
    Mostly stock/TRD accessories/Morimoto XBs
    I only get gas at Costco. Use their CC. All credit bureaus are locked (Free). Wife and kids locked. Don't apply for squat. Funnel everything through a major cc and never use a debit. No problem in years.

jtwags, G10dra and FlyingWolfe like this.
  10. Feb 2, 2021 at 8:48 AM
    Cpl_Punishment

Cpl_Punishment Young men never die.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rosy
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM SR5 CM 4X4
    Boost Auto mirrors, RSB, Leer Legend canopy, Line-X bed liner
    That seems like an overreaction...

Leo's first and FlyingWolfe like this.
  11. Feb 2, 2021 at 8:52 AM
    beaver6713

beaver6713 [OP] 2015 CM

Member:
    First Name:
    Kleve
    Safford Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra CM
    6 inch Pro Comp lift. OME rear springs with Coach Builder +3 shackles. Coach Builder tie rod ends. ICON 2.5 front and rear shocks with remote res. ICON Hyd bump stops. 35" Nitto Trail Grapplers on 18" fuel rims. Kenwood DNX 892 head unit with JL audio and RF amp pushing 2 Image Dynamics idq10 subs. SABM, S POD switches for 42" in bumper and 32" behind grille LED light bars. Full interior and exterior LED conversion. LED flush mount back up lights in rear bumper. Valentine one radar detector. V Leds under dash and seats foot well lighting. TRD pro head lights and grille. Full AJT dash kit
    Until it happens to you

snivilous, bleach, Black Wolf and 5 others like this.
  12. Feb 2, 2021 at 8:58 AM
    Kung

Kung [Insert Custom Title Here]

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    KG, VA
    Vehicle:
    2020 SR5 CM 4WD, TRD Off-Road, Voodoo Blue
    Spiffy console tray Spiffy N-Fab steps Spiffy Katzkin seats
    This; I've had it done to me twice (same account), and frankly it was likely my own fault, as both times it happened, I'd gone to a gas station or ATM outside the normal places I usually go.

I've been doing for a while what many recommend, and it's likely why I don't have many issues:

- pay gas with CC and immediately pay it off
    - ONLY pull $ out of ATMs @ the bank if at all possible
    - ONLY get gas from locations I know and trust if at all possible
    - 2FA on every single online account
    - immediately cancel any cards that get hacked and get new ones
    - have actually gone so far as to change banks/bank accounts the one time I did get seriously hacked
    - lock CC bureau

13. Feb 2, 2021 at 10:23 AM
    Bakershack

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelly
    Spanish Fort, AL
    Vehicle:
    2020 SSM 1794 4x4
    Death Penalty

Death Penalty

There is no possible way to accidentally steal someone's identity. The victim often has to deal with the consequences for the rest of their life, and most of the time never recovers everything that was lost. I could be persuaded to go with life in prison without any possibility of parole, but then society is paying for that criminal may times over. I also believe the penalty should be nearly immediate. Allow for one appeal, to be handled quickly. The reason the death penalty is not a good deterrent today is that it takes 20 years to finally be put to death. Obviously, the death penalty does not totally eliminate crimes like murder, etc., if administered quickly, it deters a large number. And prison? While it is not the Ritz, there are WAAAAAY too many "rights" given to the criminal, often at the emotional expense of the victim. Victim's rights are extremely minimal.

And although I see your reasoning that the ultimate punishment may be too harsh for non-murder crimes, in this case identity theft, I believe society is increasingly worse off due to punishments not fitting the crimes. In some cases the punishment is much too harsh for breaking a law that is more political than protective. But crimes that hurt others, and not just physically, should be dealt with particularly harshly. There is no deterrence to a lot of these crimes because they get plea bargained down. And even when they are reduced, they are not nearly harsh enough.

I hope I have made my point. I'll get off my soapbox now.

14. Feb 2, 2021 at 10:31 AM
    Boerseun

Boerseun MGM XP-Series

Member:
    First Name:
    Ferdie
    Sarasota Florida
    Vehicle:
    I am not a very aggressive person, but when I called the scammer and he answered the phone in my name, I wanted to reach through the phone and rip his throat out. It's the most violated feeling ever. I was willing to apply deadly force at that time; one of very few times in my life that I felt that way.

15. Feb 2, 2021 at 10:49 AM
    GODZILLA

GODZILLA Hail to the King, Baby.

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    2023 Solar Octane TRD Pro TACOMA, 2022 Honda CB500X
    Trying not to mod it
    Not sure I'd go death penalty on the first offense, because it might be somebody pressured into it or an idiot kid not thinking. A really bad caning or lashing, that I would be fine with. Then if it happened again, capital punishment is on the table.

At the same time, if it were a case like what @Boerseun dealt with... bullet in the head and remains used as fertilizer, because that person is shit.

snivilous, bleach, Bakershack and 2 others like this.
  16. Feb 2, 2021 at 10:53 AM
    Tundra2

Tundra2 Zoinked

Member:
    First Name:
    Noah
    Western Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    '00 Tundra V8 SR5 '03 Corolla Virus
  17. Feb 2, 2021 at 12:08 PM
    Boerseun

Boerseun MGM XP-Series

Member:
    First Name:
    Ferdie
    Sarasota Florida
    Vehicle:
    Yes, it is one thing if someone steal from me because he is going hungry or his kids need something - I will go and give him more than what he took from me. But this guy (all identity theft scammers) did not steal "from me", he stole "me". I am sure there were no hungry kids behind his actions.

Black Wolf and GODZILLA[QUOTED] like this.
  18. Feb 2, 2021 at 12:36 PM
    Dalandshark

Dalandshark Infected with 5G

Member:
    Northwest
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tundra SR5 5.7 Longbed
    Eibach Level LIft
    “Identity theft is not a joke, Jim!”

But, seriously... if someone hacks your checking account close it immediately and open a new one. Same with credit cards.

Homeowners insurance often times covers identity theft. You may have protection and not know it.

FlyingWolfe likes this.
  19. Feb 2, 2021 at 1:00 PM
    rockmup

rockmup New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Todd
    Greenwell Springs LA.
    Vehicle:
    2019 1794
    Kings, 5:29's, E-lockers on 37's

We've never had an issue either, none.

OP, seems like LifeLoc is putting the cart before the horse, huh ? Good luck.

Tierhog[QUOTED] likes this.
  20. Feb 2, 2021 at 2:14 PM
    timsp8

timsp8 Former Tundra owner for 13 years

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    NY
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra Limited Crewmax - Traded In
    A few years ago I went to Kuwait and rented a car through Hertz using a Citibank card. A few months later I was in Monterey, CA and rented another car. Checked my Citibank account after that and had a charge for gas in Kuwait. I think the thief was just testing to see if the card number worked. I called Citibank and told them the charges were fraudulent. The lady said she saw I rented a car in CA and asked if I was sure I didn’t get the gas. I had to explain that I did not drive from CA to Kuwait to get gas. After that I asked if she was sending a new card, and she asked why I would need a new card and number. I had to write a statement and mail it to them to get the fraudulent charges removed.

Black Wolf likes this.
  21. Feb 2, 2021 at 2:24 PM
    Black Wolf

Black Wolf Bigfoot Hunter, Sasquatch too, but not Yeti

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    2022 Nissan Frontier SV 4X4
    TuwaPro rack, Z1 Offroad stuff, NISMO suspension stuff, FlowmasterFX Extreme exhaust, AIS, OVS, J&L can, other goodies on the way
    Cutting both hands off for first offense seems reasonable enough.........:sawzall:

mdavis, snivilous, Bakershack and 3 others like this.
  22. Feb 2, 2021 at 3:12 PM
    CaptainGrumpus

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2018 Inferno Tundra TRD
    Sounds like a great reason to not do business with Citibank

23. Feb 2, 2021 at 3:13 PM
    CaptainGrumpus

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2018 Inferno Tundra TRD
    Be proactive instead of reactive

Black Wolf likes this.
  24. Feb 2, 2021 at 3:39 PM
    jwatt

jwatt I heart men

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    Salsa Red 2007 Tundra DC @91k.
    7" BDS Coilover Suspension Lift/BDS UCAs/XB LED Headlights/Nitto trail Grappler tires on Black Rhyno Armory wheels
    It s happened to me, and, still have to agree with @Cpl_Punishment. The one who did it to me is kicking back in a 6x9 cell. I m good with that.

Black Wolf and Cpl_Punishment like this.
  25. Feb 2, 2021 at 3:40 PM
    GODZILLA

GODZILLA Hail to the King, Baby.

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    2023 Solar Octane TRD Pro TACOMA, 2022 Honda CB500X
    Trying not to mod it
    And everyone else in society has to pay for their keep. Who is really being punished here?

I'm exaggerating and poking the bear. Don't read too much into it.

Just some google math.

upload_2021-2-2_16-46-11.jpg

upload_2021-2-2_16-46-42.jpg

Using the above numbers that's 2.3 Million at an average of $31k per year... $71,300,000,000 to house prisoners in a year. Now, not all are identity thieves. I'd even wager that a small number are, but if you save pennies you save dollars.

upload_2021-2-2_16-52-51.jpg

33% of the population affected by it.... There needs to be a better deterrent.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2021
    Black Wolf likes this.
  26. Feb 2, 2021 at 3:45 PM
    jwatt

jwatt I heart men

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    7" BDS Coilover Suspension Lift/BDS UCAs/XB LED Headlights/Nitto trail Grappler tires on Black Rhyno Armory wheels
    I had something similar except the fool who was trying to be me had a bank of america debit card made with my name, and his picture on it. He had it sent to my address, and my x got mail before he could hijack it. From there it was begining of the end for him.

Boerseun[QUOTED] and GODZILLA like this.
  27. Feb 2, 2021 at 3:53 PM
    jwatt

jwatt I heart men

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    That s the thing. I don t read into the theft too much either. It s less stress.

28. Feb 2, 2021 at 4:00 PM
    jwatt

jwatt I heart men

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    Thinking of it all in the most balanced approach as I can all I can say is; the best offense is a good defense.

Black Wolf likes this.
  29. Feb 2, 2021 at 4:26 PM
    Black Wolf

Black Wolf Bigfoot Hunter, Sasquatch too, but not Yeti

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    2022 Nissan Frontier SV 4X4
    TuwaPro rack, Z1 Offroad stuff, NISMO suspension stuff, FlowmasterFX Extreme exhaust, AIS, OVS, J&L can, other goodies on the way
    3X3 would be more of a wake up call....

Bakershack likes this.
  30. Feb 2, 2021 at 5:39 PM
    Bakershack

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelly
    Spanish Fort, AL
    Vehicle:
    2020 SSM 1794 4x4
    That sounds like a reasonable compromise. I'd back off of the death penalty for that.

It has been years since I was targeted more than someone getting lucky and guessing my credit card info. This is due to playing defense. I locked my credit down at all three big reporting bureaus and got cards with companies that are proactive in defending against fraud (USAA and Capital One). I even got a little TOO defensive. I locked my kid's credit using their SS #'s before they started kindergarten. Well, when it came time for my son to apply for some credit, it was locked and I couldn't find the login info (waaaaay before LastPass!). We had to send in all kinds of proof to them before they let him set up his own account with them to monitor his own credit.

Black Wolf[QUOTED] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top