1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Icon is trash!

Discussion in 'ICON Vehicle Dynamics' started by Redman333, Feb 3, 2022.

1. Feb 3, 2022 at 4:36 PM
    Redman333

Redman333 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jared
    Vehicle:
    Tundra
    Yes
    I get that, although just because everyone else does it doesn’t mean it’s right. Also when they first said that they would send me the wheel and then have me send the old one out I was thinking Wow, what a great company. I am for sure going to brag about them and buy again. So what incentive, future sales, potential lost income due to a pissed off customer. Plus if they would have said this from the very beginning I would have probably said ok, but they didn’t and twice told me they’d send it off. So 3 different times they told me one thing and did something else so why do I want to deal with a company like that. Ok still fine with me. Until I talked to Mr Fred and he treated me the way he did. The policy is not why I don’t like icon it’s mostly Mr Fred that is my issue. Still the company icon could do more then the bare minimum, he’ll if they would have said hey we understand the situation and really apologize about everything and these are the options you have including the one I eventually went with which is they send me the return label and then when they get the wheel they send a new one. Why on earth Mr Fred didnt offer this is beyond me. His words were most customers want speed. That may be the case but when they waste a bunch of my time already by not updating me and telling me incorrect info while I’m thinking the replacement wheel is on the way then speed is the last thing on my mind now. Fred’s attitude was as if I should be worshipping Icon not I’m a paying customer and deserve some respect because without customer they don’t exist.

also I don’t know what BFD means lol.

2. Feb 3, 2022 at 4:38 PM
    Redman333

Member:
    First Name:
    Jared
    Vehicle:
    Tundra
    Yes
    Also, if I would have talked to a customer the way Mr Fred at Icon talked to me I wouldn’t have a job tomorrow.

3. Feb 3, 2022 at 4:44 PM
    Hbjeff

Hbjeff New Member

Member:
    Huntington Beach
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC 5.7 2wd
    Trd sways, bullydog, magnaflow, sumo springs
    You bought them directly from icon? Do they even have a replacement in stock? It’s a tough inventory wheel. Ive always had great luck with their customer service, id keep trying

4. Feb 3, 2022 at 4:50 PM
    Redman333

Member:
    First Name:
    Jared
    Vehicle:
    Tundra
    Yes
    Not sure but he said he’d send one out. If it’s like all the other times though I’ll get zero communication and have to call back in a day or two only to find they did nothing. We will see though.

5. Feb 3, 2022 at 4:50 PM
    Redman333

Member:
    First Name:
    Jared
    Vehicle:
    Tundra
    Yes
    Oh and yeah directly from Icon.

6. Feb 3, 2022 at 4:52 PM
    2mchfun

2mchfun Yeah it'll pull it, just don't expect to stop!

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    2021 White 4x4 CM Trail Ed. 2018 White 4x4 4Runner SR5 Premium
    Seat covers, dash mat, ext. Trans. Cooler, sumo springs, oem pwr fld tow mirrors
    LOL! Big F'n Deal! Try to relax and don't sweat the small things in life so much. Eventually you will have to deal with a "real problem" and keep your composure at the same time. It will be much easier to do if you're well seasoned. Just my .02! Good luck!

7. Feb 3, 2022 at 5:09 PM
    Redman333

Member:
    First Name:
    Jared
    Vehicle:
    Tundra
    Yes
    I refuse to let companies get away with treating customers like crap. Trust me when I say their sales manager was way worse then I was to any of their employees at Icon. I get it when people say there are bigger problems but if we just let companies get away with this crap then sooner or later they will be the bigger problem and we will be to blame because we just let it slide.

if they would have given me a full refund then I probably would have made a post here just to let people know my experience with them in case anyone is interested but since I don’t get that I will do the next best which is spread the word to more places then just this forum. Will it get me anything, no. Will it be of any benefit to me at all, nope. If it helps one person make a more informed decision about what company to buy from then I did my job. Not saying they can’t buy from icon, but just know how they could be treated if they need any service outside of the initial purchase.

8. Feb 3, 2022 at 5:13 PM
    timsp8

timsp8 Former Tundra owner for 13 years

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    NY
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra Limited Crewmax - Traded In
    The first lady probably told the manager you were hostile and he picked up the phone already expecting an argument.

One of my 6112s leaked in less than 1000 miles and bilstein said the same thing - “buy” the new one and they’ll refund it when they get mine back and verify it was a warranty issue. Pissed me off, but I never yelled at them.

If they sent the new one with no cc or deposit, everyone would do it and get free parts. No one would send the damaged part back.

Was filing a claim with the shipping company discussed? Was it icons fault they were damaged in shipping?

shawn474 and 5N0W808 like this.
  9. Feb 3, 2022 at 5:32 PM
    Redman333

Member:
    First Name:
    Jared
    Vehicle:
    Tundra
    Yes
    See that’s the thing, first they said there was nothing they could do. Then I got Fred and he said I had 2 options pay for the wheel now and then get a refund when they get the damaged wheel back or get a full refund of all the wheels but I have to pay for the shipping back to icon. No other options at all.

As for him being mad I yelled at the First Lady and being tipped off is on him. I am justified in being upset and that’s why I raised my voice. If he had an attitude before he got on the phone as a manager that’s supposed to resolve issues is on him. If you want I will upload the recorded phone call to YouTube and put the link here and you can hear for yourself the conversation.

10. Feb 3, 2022 at 5:52 PM
    texasrho83

texasrho83 DGAF#1

Member:
    First Name:
    Charles
    Conroe TX
    Vehicle:
    2016 DC MGM 4x4
    See build link
    I think they do deserve some guff over placating you in the beginning then not doing anything. If this is your DD, it is definitely upsetting to have it laid up for an extended amount of time while thinking they were working on a solution to only find out days or weeks later nothing was done.

I rarely buy direct because of this. I find a quality reseller and go through them because they're more likely to take care of you due to their reliance on repeat business. I bought some power steps from @BOSS4x4s and the manufacturer ended up sending me the wrong install kit. I already had my truck torn apart and wires hanging down so I wasn't all that happy to stumble upon the realization. It is also my DD and I need it for work. Boss got on the horn with them, had them ship me out the right kit and it reached me FAST. He mentioned to make sure I send the other kit back as he got charged for the right kit (he got refunded once they received the first kit). That right there said a lot about his level of customer svc and it's why I'll always go to him for my mods.

I don't have anything Icon and it doesn't look like I want to now.

g6t9ed and Darkness like this.
  11. Feb 3, 2022 at 5:55 PM
    Hbjeff

Hbjeff New Member

Member:
    Huntington Beach
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC 5.7 2wd
    Trd sways, bullydog, magnaflow, sumo springs
    They probably just had half their office or more at KOH races. They might be busy

12. Feb 3, 2022 at 6:02 PM
    Redman333

Member:
    First Name:
    Jared
    Vehicle:
    Tundra
    Yes
    Probably are. So while they are out having fun and drumming up new business they ignore the current paying customers. Doesn’t seem right to me.

g6t9ed likes this.
  13. Feb 3, 2022 at 6:05 PM
    Redman333

Member:
    First Name:
    Jared
    Vehicle:
    Tundra
    Yes
    Customer service says a lot to me about what a company represents. I probably should have went to a local dealer. I was actually going that route initiallly but found the company I originally wanted another manufacturers wheel didn’t have the size I needed or the offset actually. So I looked at other wheels and came accross icon but the local company said they don’t sell them so I just told them I’d order right from icon since I already had the site up. Also sort of thought I may get better service since I’d be dealing with the manufacturer directly but guess not.

wexttxco likes this.
  14. Feb 3, 2022 at 6:13 PM
    LT75

LT75 Seasoned Pro

Member:
    Saint Charles, IL
    No mods yet
    You have to think about it this way. You don’t know how many people have not shipped back the product when they said they’re going to. So how much money has icon lost in the past from people not shipping something back. Most businesses do this now. It’s the few that destroy things for the many.

15. Feb 3, 2022 at 6:15 PM
    Abos

Abos Long live 5.7L V8

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 Crewmax
    There is a simple solution here. The company sends him the new rim and return label. If he doesn't return it in x number of days, he's charged for the new rim.

Booney, Tundra'25, g6t9ed and 4 others like this.
  16. Feb 3, 2022 at 6:20 PM
    Redman333

Member:
    First Name:
    Jared
    Vehicle:
    Tundra
    Yes
    I completely understand that. My issue was that they hadn’t expressed that the first 2 times they said they were going to get me a wheel. Then never actually did anything on those two times so I was thinking they sent the wheel out. I call back both times and realize they did nothing. Then they come back with I have to pay for it. Then get on the phone and the sales manager had an attitude with me. If he would have got on the phone and apologized and gave me several options and said he will personally make sure it gets handled since I already have been delayed due to icon directly then I could have made the call on what to do and gone that route. However he got on the call and immediately had an attitude and hung up on me and still never gave me all my options. I’m a pretty easy going person and would have let the company know about the damage but not needed anything if it wasn’t on the face of the rim but I knew it would bug me so I wanted a replacement. That started it all.

17. Feb 3, 2022 at 6:21 PM
    Redman333

Member:
    First Name:
    Jared
    Vehicle:
    Tundra
    Yes
    Yeah they didn’t give me that option either. I know companies can put a hold on a credit card even. Not a charge but it locks that amount out on the card so if they need to charge the card they can. I would have been fine with that too.

18. Feb 3, 2022 at 6:34 PM
    Black Wolf

Black Wolf Bigfoot Hunter, Sasquatch too, but not Yeti

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    2022 Nissan Frontier SV 4X4
    TuwaPro rack, Z1 Offroad stuff, NISMO suspension stuff, FlowmasterFX Extreme exhaust, AIS, OVS, J&L can, other goodies on the way
    "My guess is he is mad because I did yell at the lady(his employee) on the phone"..... This will never get a response from me if someone did that to one of our female employee's who is just a messenger in this instance too. Chill...BTW.....Semper Fi

FlyingWolfe, Wallygator and 5N0W808 like this.
  19. Feb 3, 2022 at 6:35 PM
    Abos

Abos Long live 5.7L V8

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 Crewmax
    I bought some tires from Discount Tire Direct a couple years ago and one was defective. It took a ton of weights to balance so it had some kind of defect. I called and told them and they overnighted me a new tire and a return label. No BS. They had my cc on file and they said as long as they had the tire back by a certain day, they wouldn't charge me. Seems pretty simple and I was completely satisfied. I was annoyed that I had to deal with waiting for the new tire and then getting it remounted but shit happens and they made it right. The fact that these guys couldn't think this through clearly displays their lack of customer service.

20. Feb 3, 2022 at 6:45 PM
    68vert

68vert New Member

Member:
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    2011 Rock Warrior
    I had Icon on my previous Tacoma's and was really happy with their product. Would've run Icons on my Tundra if TC spec'd the coilovers in Icon as well. On one of my Tacos, I had a pair of bump stops I purchased used that I sent back for rework. Their customer service rebuilt them at no charge and turned them around quickly as well. I also spoke to them at SEMA one year, and yeah they came off a little strong at first but had a great conversation even so. From that conversation, sounds like they get tired of internet trolls. Not saying you're one but if your interested in their products, give em another chance. Try emailing em and politely explaining your situation. See if you get a call back with a reasonably empathetic/ sympathetic human being.

Whatever road you chose, I hope you get a resolution sooner than later. Good luck!

5N0W808 and texasrho83 like this.
  21. Feb 3, 2022 at 6:46 PM
    Sirfive

Sirfive Master Procrastinator

Member:
    SATX
    Vehicle:
    ‘02 AC TRD
    Bassani cat-back
    Pics or it didnt happen.

22. Feb 3, 2022 at 6:48 PM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    TuwaPro rack, Z1 Offroad stuff, NISMO suspension stuff, FlowmasterFX Extreme exhaust, AIS, OVS, J&L can, other goodies on the way
    I see that you are a new member here. Congrats! Did you happen to check out our approved vendors here at all? @Toytec Lifts would have been a great vendor here to order a set of Icons. If there was any issue..... @Toytec Lifts would be making the calls for you to correct the situation. Better than getting pissed off and yelling at a girl on the phone that you have never met expecting a positive response.....just sayin

5N0W808 likes this.
  23. Feb 3, 2022 at 6:49 PM
    Redman333

Member:
    First Name:
    Jared
    Vehicle:
    Tundra
    Yes
    Semper Fi. I thought that but honestly the more I think about it that’s his fault too. The reason I even raised my voice to her is because she told me there was nothing that she could do. Not let me check or see if there’s something else that can be done. He also told me he should have trained them better. So if I have a problem with an expensive item I just bought and being nice is not getting me results I have no choice but to be the squeaky wheel to get things done. Like I said I never cussed at her or said anything that’s not justified for the situation. I did get loud though. I also got the manager on the phone so I got what I needed.

Black Wolf[QUOTED] likes this.
  24. Feb 3, 2022 at 6:50 PM
    Redman333

Member:
    First Name:
    Jared
    Vehicle:
    Tundra
    Yes
    Pics of what. You want a selfie of my on the phone lol

25. Feb 3, 2022 at 6:51 PM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    "Seller Fi"? Bye............

FlyingWolfe likes this.
  26. Feb 3, 2022 at 6:51 PM
    Redman333

Member:
    First Name:
    Jared
    Vehicle:
    Tundra
    Yes
    Didn’t know toytec sells icon wheels. Also part of my thinking was I should get the best service dealing directly with the manufacturer.

27. Feb 3, 2022 at 6:52 PM
    Redman333

Member:
    First Name:
    Jared
    Vehicle:
    Tundra
    Yes
    Sorry. You guys got me typing too much on my phone.

28. Feb 3, 2022 at 6:53 PM
    Sirfive

Sirfive Master Procrastinator

Member:
    SATX
    Vehicle:
    ‘02 AC TRD
    Bassani cat-back
    I wanna see a pic of the damaged wheel.

5N0W808 and Black Wolf like this.
  29. Feb 3, 2022 at 6:53 PM
    Redman333

Member:
    First Name:
    Jared
    Vehicle:
    Tundra
    Yes
    Fixed

Black Wolf[QUOTED] likes this.
  30. Feb 3, 2022 at 7:00 PM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    It's all good. Best service is rarely "best" when dealing with the manufacturer directly even if you are buying a Browning or custom Weatherby. Let our vendors deal with the occasional order snafu bs. Things happens. Let them get headaches. Less stress for you. I get your frustration and it sucks.....

Products Discussed in

To Top